Is Sancho a bust? And, is Antony headed the same way too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexdegea

feck me they let any moron start threads nowadays

Insane thread.

To be honest I'm baffled about the abuse Anthony is getting. Seeing it eveywhere. I don't watch him and think he is a poor player and is rubbish. He still works his socks off, and keeps his intensity. Has scored some big goals too. Obviously the money was too much but that is what Ajax wanted and Hag wanted him so I'll trust his judgement on it. Not like he is holding us back on the right.

Strange thread and moan.

The spin really fecked a lot of people of it would seem, it's defo tainted opinions a bit :lol:

arthurka

Antony has one trick and that stop and pop nice is wearing thin. He is young he will figure it out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This place has been way too harsh on Anthony. Honestly we drop money on a winger and because he isn’t instantly a Kanchelskis-Beckham hybrid everyone writes him off. Can’t really blame people when we’ve had so many flops.
I agree he's really not been that bad. There was a moment yesterday when he had no support and he ran the full length of the pitch, that's the type of thing he does need to do more but people are forgetting he came into the club late, is still young, is still adapting to the club and the league, has had injuries and despite all of that is making us a better side even if again he does need to do more

Solid signing so far for me, Sancho on the other hand while I was equally as patient with him last season as I am Antony this Sancho obviously has it all to do now. If he doesn't turn it around in the next 18 months he'll definitely be one we should be looking to move on

BlueHaze

God does this highlight how shit we were last year. I am totally on your side with Sancho too, the number of delicate passes he made that should have been slotted. Put him in this current squad with the sam confidence and it could have been a different story.
Many do not pay attention to these details yet still claim the player has been "shocking" and non productive!! It's laughable.

Smores

The thing with Antony is he's exactly what we bought really. He isnt adjusting he's just playing against a better standard of defence week in week out. The majority of what worked so well for him at Ajax won't work here so he'll need to grow completely new parts to his game. He's young so if he wants to he will but I do worry about him being so dependent on his left.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Don’t know about Sancho, but Antony seems like a big waste of money. Sure he could turn it around. But from what we’ve seen so far, he doesn’t really have the required skills. I don’t see him growing in his game where suddenly he is able to dribble past players, give accurate crosses and scoring regularly.

New team, new competition, new country etc. sure. But just watching him play, I simply don’t see a player who can grow into the type of player United should be aiming for. I see him more as a good option for the bench.

CatsOfUlthar

Sancho was always cursed. English players move to the Bundesliga because they don't have the physicality required in the Premier League, as much as it's rapidly becoming a truly non contact sport.

He was extortionate from the off, no way he's ever justifying his fee.

Anthony I'd like to hope will come good, but I've hoped enough to know he probably won't.

I just don't feel we're all that smart buying players. Everything is super expensive now, we should probably take our chances buying unknown for a few million a pop, adding up to the same fee we've been paying single players.

The opossum usually churns out twenty children. Less than half survive. I feel we should be spreading at a more economically intelligent level than spunking the entire value of a Championship club up the wall for a defender who was the least impressive of an unlikely League winning side.

Edit: It's been pointed out Maguire wasn't there when Leicester won the league, but joined the next season, somehow that feels even more unjust, but I'll leave my error as an example to all others like me, think before you post. :wenger:

Last edited:

Revaulx

I believe it was reported in the media, they mentioned it was mental conditioning thing rather than anything physical. We shall see soon enough though, he should get some minutes.
The media seem every bit in the dark as the fans.

I have to say that the post-Woodward United appears to be much better at keeping stuff in-house.

m1tch

You only have to look at the change in Rashford from last season to know that Sancho/Antony/whoever could be incredible next season (or next week). They're young players and I think they should have time on their side to come good. I'm sure if their attitude is right then it'll happen, if it isn't then I'm sure EtH will move them on.

croadyman

You only have to look at the change in Rashford from last season to know that Sancho/Antony/whoever could be incredible next season (or next week). They're young players and I think they should have time on their side to come good. I'm sure if their attitude is right then it'll happen, if it isn't then I'm sure EtH will move them on.
He will be worried Antony's not performing to a high enough level

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Sancho might turn it around. There's a good footballing brain in there.

Zero faith in Antony. He's a one-trick pony, or a pointless trick pony. Pissed away £100 million there.

croadyman

Sancho might turn it around. There's a good footballing brain in there.

Zero faith in Antony. He's a one-trick pony, or a pointless trick pony. Pissed away £100 million there.
Yeah it's looking already like he can't adapt his game

3KDré

Rashford was a flop, until he wasn’t. Dalot was a flop, until he wasn’t.

Either both these players you’ve mentioned will come good, or they’ll end up leaving, at which point you can brand them a flop all you like.
Rashford scored 20 + goals 2 seasons straight before a bad season, so anyone with a brain would not call him a flop. The issue is Dalot and Rashford both have had the physical and technical abilities to play the football they have been this season. Dalot has always had a good touch, good passing and good pace.

Both Sancho and Antony struggle to beat their man out wide. I am not sure if they have the pace for it. That doesn't mean they will be flops though, they just won't ever be able to do what Rashford is doing right now for us. Either way it doesn't matter, they're both going to be here for another year at least and if Ten Hag wants rid, I am sure he will do so.

Mr PG

People are stupid. If we hadn't bought Antony, we'd have probably 2-3 less wins and the owners would pocket that money. We're saving 16m on Ronaldo and the owners have refused to spend that. Additionally , the extra spend on Casemiro and Antony was probably the stroke that broke the camels back and the owners realized they couldn't afford the club so to sell.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Is patience not even a thing with our fans these days? Antony will deliver. This is his first season! Geez! Antony brings an energy to our play that we sorely lacked. He just needs to adapt to the pace of the premier league and the physical demands.

BlueHaze

Is patience not even a thing with our fans these days? Antony will deliver. This is his first season! Geez! Antony brings an energy to our play that we sorely lacked. He just needs to adapt to the pace of the premier league and the physical demands.
Judging by this forum, if you do not assist or score every single game you are "uncreative" "out of ideas" "a one trick pony" and a "waste of money"

They also seem to be completely incapable of looking at the whole picture as well like for example the video of Sancho I posted in this thread which clearly shows his strenghts and how he actually has done much better than people credit him for.

You can clearly see in the clip he done what he supposed to. Give solid assists and key passes/crosses in the final third. Not his fault his clown teammates waste chance after chance but of course it's Sancho fault. He's the "uncreative" and "unproductive" one..

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Why do we particularly care they won't be worth the fees we paid for them? Does anyone really have a 100% hit rate? We've also got Garnacho for peanuts, it all evens out.

Sancho has had his problems, but has hardly come into a good environment. Not to mention the euros debacle by Southgate. Yet he's still only 22.

Anthony hasn't even played a season for Christ's sake and again, only 22.

I also find it really weird we're looking for a negative in our squad, when it's the most balanced it's been in a long time. We also got a lot of our loanees doing well, that gives us hope for the future of the squad too.
It's not weird, we have many fans but not quite so many supporters, fams are fickle, supporters support

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Judging by this forum, if you do not assist or score every single game you are "uncreative" "out of ideas" "a one trick pony" and a "waste of money"

They also seem to be completely incapable of looking at the whole picture as well like for example the video of Sancho I posted in this thread which clearly shows his strenghts and how he actually has done much better than people credit him for.

You can clearly see in the clip he done what he supposed to. Give solid assists and key passes/crosses in the final third. Not his fault his clown teammates waste chance after chance but of course it's Sancho fault. He's the "uncreative" and "unproductive" one..
completely agree. I do wonder though if this is a systemic problem with United fans alone or do all fans lack any broader perspective?

Sancho is a great player and we’ve seen flashes of that brilliance. Just needs proper coaching (which we now have) and the confidence.
It is no wonder players have mental breakdowns these days with all the unsubstantiated vitriol going around

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
completely agree. I do wonder though if this is a systemic problem with United fans alone or do all fans lack any broader perspective?

Sancho is a great player and we’ve seen flashes of that brilliance. Just needs proper coaching (which we now have) and the confidence.
It is no wonder players have mental breakdowns these days with all the unsubstantiated vitriol going around
All fans but the big clubs tend to have the most, it's down to the cost and unrealistic expectations

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Get out this thread now. Rational logic is not allowed in these moments

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Anyone who is labelling Antony a flop already is being hugely unfair. I think the level of his performances have been greatly exaggerated. He hasn't been brilliant, but he has had some good moments and scored some goals. I think he will adapt and become hugely important for us. I hope Sancho can have a good return to the team and show us he has what it takes to shoulder the pressure of being a United player - he certainly has the talent.

croadyman

I think one of the biggest frustrations with him are two key things. The first one would be when he turns back inside on counter attacks slowing it down. The second is this inability to beat a player and put in a cross.

Honestly think if he can show that ability to improve on these two things in the next year or so then the heat will come off him.

Mr Smith

OP's gone off the deep end. Antony hasn't even played 20 games for the club yet. Sancho is having a tough time but is still young. Get a grip.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Antony has one trick and that stop and pop nice is wearing thin. He is young he will figure it out.
To be fair to him, Ronaldo was a one trick step over pony when he joined you the first time. He did quite well for himself.

I think young wingers are possibly the hardest players to really judge well. With pace and some neat footwork they can look like prime Messi in the youth teams but then in the first team they’re bodied by their fullback. It takes longer to build up the physical requirements and game smarts to continue to come out on top game after game. Especially with the amount of science and footage players have to review before the actual match day, it’s very hard to surprise a team.

In regards to Sancho, I called it the day you signed him that he would have a slow start to his career with you. The german league is not as fast as the English league and it’s more physical. Jadon isn’t big, he isn’t exactly strong or that fast either. So he needs guile and experience to win.

Bondi77

Before getting the pitchforks ready, hear me out.

Sancho was a marquee signing who was supposed to be the next superstar for not only us, but the Premier League. Being labelled as best player in the Bundesliga, and one of the (if not the) best young players in the world the expectations were high. It is fair to say, he flattered to deceive in his first season. Struggling to keep up with the pace and intensity of the Premier League. Most of us wrote off last season because of the big mess that was created by Ole/Rangnick. However, ten Hags arrival was supposed to spring Sancho into life, with a more modern and progressive method of football. Sancho has somehow got even worse in limited time he has got, being hooked at hour mark multiple times before picking up and injury, and then taking a lengthy break to gather himself mentally. Considering the high pressure stakes at basically ever game we play, do we see this break doing him good? Or taking into consideration his £72m fee, we can brand him a flop already?

Antony is more worrisome because he came off just one stellar season and in a relatively poor league compared to Bundesliga. He showed promise early on, but he has also struggled badly with the pace and intensity of the league. Recently being one of our worst performers at a time where team is in dire need of more productivity and quality. A bigger cause of concern with Antony is his failure to create space or chances from right side of the pitch, which we had been crying out for years. £86m record fee is no doubt weighing him down, but is he headed the same way as Sancho? Eager to hear thoughts from the rest.
The player performance threads cover this topic.

Dannn411

Have to see both players over the next 12 to 18 months before coming to a conclusion but there is no question that both players have severely underperformed since joining.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hmm feel like that’s a low bar for a team struggerling to score goals.
In his first season in a new league, he's averaging a goal roughly ever 200 or so minutes.
I'd take that personally. I'd also bite your hand off for that output from Sancho for the rest of the season.
In comparison Bernardo Silva lags behind Antony, as does Grealish whom combined have 5 goals in way more minutes.

JohnnyKills

Don’t know about Sancho, but Antony seems like a big waste of money. Sure he could turn it around. But from what we’ve seen so far, he doesn’t really have the required skills. I don’t see him growing in his game where suddenly he is able to dribble past players, give accurate crosses and scoring regularly.

New team, new competition, new country etc. sure. But just watching him play, I simply don’t see a player who can grow into the type of player United should be aiming for. I see him more as a good option for the bench.
Have to say I agree with you. Seems way too reliant on the cut-in-curler at the moment. But let's see. You'd hope ETH wouldn't have bought him if he didn't think there was scope for improvement.

Ibi Dreams

Antony is doing ok, I've got a lot of time for him. Sancho is more worrying, this extended break he's taking is very unusual and it definitely suggests that there is something wrong either physically or mentally.

If I had to bet on one of them making it with us I'd bet on Antony

MuFc_1992

Sancho was always cursed. English players move to the Bundesliga because they don't have the physicality required in the Premier League, as much as it's rapidly becoming a truly non contact sport.

He was extortionate from the off, no way he's ever justifying his fee.

Anthony I'd like to hope will come good, but I've hoped enough to know he probably won't.

I just don't feel we're all that smart buying players. Everything is super expensive now, we should probably take our chances buying unknown for a few million a pop, adding up to the same fee we've been paying single players.

The opossum usually churns out twenty children. Less than half survive. I feel we should be spreading at a more economically intelligent level than spunking the entire value of a Championship club up the wall for a defender who was the least impressive of an unlikely League winning side.
Who's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.