Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

Sauldogba

100 percent better than Hazard and he has been for a while now as well.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Has had the better season than Kane for sure, but Kane has been at a level for what 4-5 seasons now? And that is not to say Kane has been bad per se, just compared to his usual exploits has been a little below par. Still on 17 goals for the season and his all round game is top level.

Sterling has only hit top gear last season and even last season I would say Kane was better, Kane broke the 30 goals mark had a purple patch of form and scoring that seen him break Shearer's record, beat Messi for goals and scored a string of hat tricks.

RochaRoja

Ok, transfermarket has him on 16 & 11 this season, which yeah, is a way off. But Chelsea have been god awful this season, whereas Man City are a goal scoring machine.

Can’t deny though he has improved immeasurably as a player, a few years ago the comparison would have been laughed at
It’s worth remembering that Hazard has twice been in title winning Chelsea sides and still didn’t put up those numbers, despite being the penalty taker.

Sterling is four years younger than Hazard too, who was just finishing his Player of the Year season at this stage in his career. If Sterling doesn’t drop off next season like Hazard did then he may well be considered the better player.

Right now I’d say Sterling is the better forward but Hazard is still the all round better footballer. It’s easy to forget how outstanding he was at times during the World Cup. I don’t think Sterling is quite at that level but could reach it if he continues to mature as a player.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I never thought Sterling would become this good, I thought he was over-hyped for a long time. Now he is showing consistent world class form.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Has had the better season than Kane for sure, but Kane has been at a level for what 4-5 seasons now? And that is not to say Kane has been bad per se, just compared to his usual exploits has been a little below par. Still on 17 goals for the season and his all round game is top level.

Sterling has only hit top gear last season and even last season I would say Kane was better, Kane broke the 30 goals mark had a purple patch of form and scoring that seen him break Shearer's record, beat Messi for goals and scored a string of hat tricks.
Beat Messi for goals in all comps? Couldn't be league goals as he won the European Golden Boot

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
His number say everything to be honest. Had a poor record for England before but has now rectified it too. Great player and a very likeable person too.

Treble

Except Sterling has played 500 minutes fewer than Salah.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He should've also put up a column saying penalties won due to diving.

Classical Mechanic

Beat Messi for goals in all comps? Couldn't be league goals as he won the European Golden Boot
He was top scorer the calendar year 2017 beating Messi and Ronaldo

1. Harry Kane | Goals: 56 | Games 52
2. Lionel Messi | Goals: 54 | Games 64
3. Cristiano Ronaldo | Goals: 53 | Games 59

lysglimt

Scout
Hard to argue against it nowadays. And another thing - about 25 years ago, the quality of English central defenders was so good that Steve Bruce couldn't get a match, in 2-3-4 years - there will be a LOT of good English wingers, strikers, attacking midfielders who never will get a game for England.

He's taken it up a level this last year. Reminds me a bit of Ronaldo in how he became much more direct and then everything started to click.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Except Sterling has played 500 minutes fewer than Salah.
He missed the part where one is going to be the key for his side winning the PL two years running.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He was top scorer the calendar year 2017 beating Messi and Ronaldo

1. Harry Kane | Goals: 56 | Games 52
2. Lionel Messi | Goals: 54 | Games 64
3. Cristiano Ronaldo | Goals: 53 | Games 59
Yeah this, pretty impressive when you think Kane plays with dross like Lamela, Aurier, Dier and Sissoko. That is almost like playing with a handicap.

Untd55

I would say this season that Sterling has probably performed better than Kane, but overall I think they are even.

Not that it matters as they have different positions so can play for England at the same time.

Member 115509

He is a very good footballer who seems to be improving in leaps and bounds in all areas, also finding a level of consistency. I think he is the stand out English player around just now, not much doubt about that.
It's obviously not ideal seeing such a good player playing for City from a United point of view, but, small mercies, it would feel much worse if he was playing for Liverpool just now in his current form, with the prospect of becoming even better as he further matures.

dbs235

Sterling is class but Kane is the best striker in the world for me. Would still put him ahead of Sterling. Only just though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
His movement is just fantastic, just so much more active and intense than Martial.
Hopefully in a year, we will see Martial coming into his own more too. I'm sure he'll never be as versatile in his movement as Sterling has become, but you wouldn't think Sterling had it in him to improve that part as much as he has either. Martial is sort of a similar player so he probably needs to add what Sterling has added to his game to become as good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ludicrous misses aside, Sterling had another great game today.

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
Sterling is class but Kane is the best striker in the world for me. Would still put him ahead of Sterling. Only just though.
Kane is a striker and plays in the striker position, Sterling plays in the wings so not sure how this comparison applies to them
Imho still thinks Aguero is a better striker than Kane

TsuWave

movement, dribbling, intensity, creativity and end product. just an electric player.

even putting it on a plate for Kane now, just so Kane can pad his numbers. Its the Sterling stimulus package.

Cloud7

I never thought Sterling would become this good, I thought he was over-hyped for a long time. Now he is showing consistent world class form.
Pep has been amazing for Sterling. He was after him when he was at Bayern as well, so clearly he’s earmarked him as someone he can do great things with for a long time now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sterling, Kane, and Stones would be the type of break-the-bank signings SAF would have made in the past. Although we might not have a chance with Sterling (Liverpool), though.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hopefully in a year, we will see Martial coming into his own more too. I'm sure he'll never be as versatile in his movement as Sterling has become, but you wouldn't think Sterling had it in him to improve that part as much as he has either. Martial is sort of a similar player so he probably needs to add what Sterling has added to his game to become as good.
I highly doubt it. Also Sterling is much more creative, ever since his early Liverpool days.

KennyBurner

He missed the part where one is going to be the key for his side winning the PL two years running.
Not only that but salah actually plays closer to goal than firmino. The guy does feck all but wait at the end of crosses.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Yeah he’s quality at the moment. Great news for England. Shame he plays for City but there ya go. Went up in my estimation with the way he handled the racist crowd last night as well.

NoPace

Sterling, Kane, and Stones would be the type of break-the-bank signings SAF would have made in the past. Although we might not have a chance with Sterling (Liverpool), though.
Eh, Sterling at Liverpool and let's say Keane is Shearer, but yeah, I could see Stones and maybe someone like Dele Alli (kind of a Berba/Yorke/Hughes/Sheringham type physically strong creative 2nd striker type Fergie seemed to rate) being signed if Fergie had stayed.

Sauldogba

Put Sterling in that Chelsea team and Hazard in that City team and you wouldn't even think a second about saying something like this
Says who?
Hazard is overrated.
Hes never had as good a season than Sterling did last year or this year for that matter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Eh, Sterling at Liverpool and let's say Keane is Shearer, but yeah, I could see Stones and maybe someone like Dele Alli (kind of a Berba/Yorke/Hughes/Sheringham type physically strong creative 2nd striker type Fergie seemed to rate) being signed if Fergie had stayed.
I know SAF wouldn't hesitate to break british record to land Kane.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Says who?
Hazard is overrated.
Hes never had as good a season than Sterling did last year or this year for that matter.
This is just utterly ridiculous.
Sterling is great and has become one of the top 5 attacking players in the Prem alongside Salah,Aguero and Kane but Hazard is still number 1

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
movement, dribbling, intensity, creativity and end product. just an electric player.

even putting it on a plate for Kane now, just so Kane can pad his numbers. Its the Sterling stimulus package.
If scoring tap ins is padding numbers we can remove a great deal of Sterling's then, can't we?

Every other goal he scores is a tap in.