Is Sterling the best english player at the moment?

thepolice123

His movement and dribbling are always there since his breakthrough as a player. But under Pep his end product has improved tremendously. That finish after he cut in, he would scuffed that chance in the past. But he finished it with such confidence this time round.

Robbie Boy

He’s such a likable chap too. Brilliant attitude after some of the bollox that’s come his way over the years.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
No chance.
Why not? Who else on the scene currently is going to be competing with him once Messi naffs off? Mbappe sure, maybe one of the Dutch youngsters, Bernado Silva? I think Sterling has got every chance, and if you take the big two names out of the mix, I don't see him as being behind any of the other top names right now.

I'd probably put him as the joint second best player in the world right now.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Always a worldie talent even at Liverpool - he’s just living up to his potential tbh, fantastic player.

VJ1762

I don't think it is even a debate anymore. England have their front three sorted with sancho, kane and sterling. If only they had a decent midfield.

VJ1762

Always a worldie talent even at Liverpool - he’s just living up to his potential tbh, fantastic player.
Pep has played a massive part in that too. I can't think of a player we have improved/helped to realise his potential since Fergie left.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I watch Sterling and I'm impressed but I can't help but wonder how good Wilfried Zaha would be in this City side

ExecutionerWasp001 having a mare here.
I watch Sterling and I'm impressed but I can't help but wonder how good Wilfried Zaha would be in this City side
He would've buried that 1on1 in the end though. :wenger:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What an unbelievable player, in my opinion he's City's best player too. By the time he's done I think he'll be regarded as up there with the PL greats.

Amerifan

Very impressive in the Atalanta match. Should have had one more. Despite the red card Foden looked good as well. That setup for Sterling was mature beyond his years.

HowieC

He’s insanely productive. Can’t help but notice his finishing technique often still isn’t the best though.

Still better to be a great scorer of goals than a scorer of great goals. Over the past years it has been englands defence and for a period, its midfield that has been strong.

Now its attack is looking by far the best component

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Watched the highlight of their game from yesterday. Had to laugh in a few scenes at how good he was.

Bwuk

For me he’s the most intelligent player in the league. Fantastic movement and awareness.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don’t remember anyone who didn’t think that 50m was a ridiculous fee at the time.

It was ridiculous. Ridiculously low. Unbelievable player since 2017/18.
I think that's more the fact that transfer fee's seemed to sky rocket after that summer. City invested heavily just at the right time, the lucky feckers.

People laughed at 50m for Sterling and honestly at that point, it did seem a huge gamble. What Guardiola and his staff have done with Sterling is a proper transformation.

It's the sort of thing I could see Martial having if he had a proper coach that concentrated on positioning and when/how to make runs.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Sterling has 54 goals in 139 PL appearances. Zaha has 32 goals in 172 appearances. In 3 of Sterling's PL seasons he has played for teams that have had 2 100 + goals seasons & a 95 goal season. Absolutely ludicrous to suggest that Zaha would not have better stats than Sterling had he played for Liverpool & City.
Personally I don't think he would have better stats but I wouldn't deny his stats would be better, but the reason that he's not at a bigger club is as he's nowhere near to being on the same level as Sterling

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sterling has 54 goals in 139 PL appearances. Zaha has 32 goals in 172 appearances. In 3 of Sterling's PL seasons he has played for teams that have had 2 100 + goals seasons & a 95 goal season. Absolutely ludicrous to suggest that Zaha would not have better stats than Sterling had he played for Liverpool & City.
Do you not think there is a reason Sterling got a move to a club like City, Zaha flopped on his big move and if he was to leave Palace would City, Liverpool, Real come knocking?

If Sterling handed in a request in the morning the super teams would be all over him, if Zaha did the same, Barca, Real and co. wouldn't bat an eye. If Zaha did the same it would be Everton and Spurs banging on the door. If big teams truly wanted him he wouldn't still be at Palace.

To put it in perspective Arsenal offered £40m for him and balked at the £80m requested. They then had no qualms spending £72m on Pepe instead.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
:lol: Jesus Christ man.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just give it up. It's OK to be wrong.

ExecutionerWasp001

Personally I don't think he would have better stats but I wouldn't deny his stats would be better, but the reason that he's not at a bigger club is as he's nowhere near to being on the same level as Sterling
Do you not think there is a reason Sterling got a move to a club like City, Zaha flopped on his big move and if he was to leave Palace would City, Liverpool, Real come knocking?

If Sterling handed in a request in the morning the super teams would be all over him, if Zaha did the same, Barca, Real and co. wouldn't bat an eye. If Zaha did the same it would be Everton and Spurs banging on the door. If big teams truly wanted him he wouldn't still be at Palace.

Sterling has had 2 stand out seasons. He has been surrounded by marque players & been managed by who many regard as the GOAT during this time. Is it crazy to believe that Zaha's level would not rise dramatically under similar conditions.

Zaha joined Utd at the worst possible time & was ruined by Moyes. Many bigger names have failed at Utd since SAF left. If Zaha had been under the tutelage of SAF for a few years & surrounded by quality players he too would be targeted by Barca, Real.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sterling is absolutely top class and has to be seen as one of the best players in the world right now. England on paper have an exceptional attack at least.

Classical Mechanic

I doubt that Pep would even sign Zaha as he loses the ball far too much. I'm not sure that trying to coach Zaha into being more considered would be the best idea either as his unpredictability is his biggest strength. I don't think he's a straight line speed merchant like Sterling is.

TsuWave

What Guardiola and his staff have done with Sterling is a proper transformation.
People keep pushing this, but Sterling had already been part of a title push with Liverpool, being one of their best players, hence the record breaking transfer to City

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
People keep pushing this, but Sterling had already been part of a title push with Liverpool, being one of their best players, hence the record breaking transfer to City
Some people are incapable of giving credit to Sterling. He's either carried by Suarez or he's carried by City's system/de Bruyne and co.