Is the 'clear-out' just Glazer spin on us losing our best players...?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
A clear out should mean most, if not all of the following should be sold / released:

- Jones
- Darmian
- Lingard
- Sánchez
- Martial
- Mata
- Young
- Rojo
- Bailly?

But in reality I think it will more likely be the likes of Pogba and Lukaku leave, with one or two of the dross above.
Agree completely, but most of those players are on high wages or just got fresh new contracts. I'd be pleasantly shocked if we managed to get rid of more than three on that list.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Genuinely over the next 2-3 windows Young, shaw, Jones, Smalling, Matic, Andreas, Martial, Lukaku, Mata, Pogba and Sanchez need to go. You could probably throw in more names because they're all complete garbage. I'd take the Wolves first 11 any day over this one.
The Wolves 11 who have finished below us?!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Need to go:

Fellani - gone
Valencia - gone
Rojo - £8m
Darmian - £10m
Sanchez - Cost us £13m to release
Mata - free
Young - £3m
Lingard - £20m
-----------------
Total: + £28m

Optional:
Martial - loan to Newcastle until he releases how good he has it, sell if that doesn't wake him up
Lukaku - £40m
Pogba - £120m
De Gea - £60m
------------------
Total: +£220m

Sign:
Koulibaly - £70m
Neves - £50m
Bruno Fernandes - £60m
Oblak: £60m
Bissaka: £40m
Tierney: £25m
Sancho: £80m
Ward-Prowse: £30m
Lozano: £30m
De Ligt: £80m
Leon Bailey: £30m
Julian Brandt: £40m
-----------------------
Total: - £585m

Net: - £347m

There's no fecking way we can't afford to do that.
This isn't championship manager :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I reckon you'd struggle with that in Football Manager to be fair! Either way, I'm that annoyed and tired with this squad, that's what I want to happen.
If we don't at least buy starting right sided players, it will be time to truly question what is going on.
As literally everyone can see Young is our weakest starter, and we haven't had a proper right attacker in years.

crossy1686

career ending
If we don't at least buy starting right sided players, it will be time to truly question what is going on.
As literally everyone can see Young is our weakest starter, and we haven't had a proper right attacker in years.
We're bottom of the league when it comes to attacks started and goals scored from the right hand side. That says it all...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fair play, that's your opinion.

For me, 5 months (and his previous managerial career) is enough to see what he can do - and I reckon Nuno is a better manager.

I could be wrong, and I respect your opinion.
Time will tell, but no manager is fairly judged until he's had a chance to bring players in.

We don't know if this lull is the norm, a freak,or whether the hyped up period was the super never to happen again high.
Until he brings his own players in we can't judge, as half this team might be off, and know it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We're bottom of the league when it comes to attacks started and goals scored from the right hand side. That says it all...
It certainly can't be hard for teams to realise we have nothing that side.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given what's just happened with our best players can things really get worse without them?

Even if the clear out is a spin on us selling our best players I honestly don't think that's a bad thing

Ajax Treesdown

Cant see us selling too many unfortunately. We have been selling Darmian for the past 2 years and he its till here, event hough we only utilised him in the league for a grand total of 443 minutes this season. Something seriously not right at this club.

settembrini

I'm not really bothered about our best players leaving if they want to leave.

What kills me is the dross staying year after year. The same players fall below any sort of acceptable standard for multiple seasons in a row and not only do we not ship them out, we reward them with contract extension.

shaky

Um... try the players who have contributed the most goals, assists, chances created?

Or players who have saved games with heroic defensive displays?

It's not difficult if you actually watch football.
They are "our best players" only compared to the rest of our awful players. They've still been mostly poor compared to actual top players. I wouldn't lose sleep over any or all of them leaving.

Canagel

He's a luxury. Most "great" players would be more effective for us in our current situation than he would be. Thats the frustration because he doesn't put as much effort in as the other great players out there. They'd fit in much better.

But yes if he joins a team full of players I'm sure he'd find his place because the team will have more resources to plug all the gaps he leaves.
Fixed. Hes the only one that looks like a footballer here.

Bestietom

If a player is not happy here and wants to go, let him off. There is no room for players who don't give their all. Then I suppose we need to get rid of most.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Glazers don't spin anything, they don't say anything, the idea of a clear out is coming from fans, pundits ex professionals... everyone!

As for best players well our best player is Pogba, and he turns up maybe 1 game in 4 if we are lucky. Our second best player is De Gea who seems to have down tools becuase we won't pay him as much as Sanchez. And our highest earning player who most people on this forum where calling world class a year ago, but was actually a ageing winger looking for one massive-payoff on his way to retirement.

This isn't Glazer spin this is reality our squad is a complete mess, it needs a clear out, the whole footballing culture at united needs a back to square one rebuild.

dove

I think our "clear out" will happen not because we want it but because some players are probably fed up playing for a shite team and will force a move/wont extend contracts. Of course Ed will brief the media that it's us who are getting rid of them but I think it's quite the opposite. The ones who are hopelessly shit (Jones, Young, Rojo, Lingard) will stay because they know their next club would be some relegation fodder and we are more than happy offering them new contracts.

Joeace2020

Think this is the big mistake we always make. They just think they are untouchable no matter what and that should never be the case.
And this is why foreign players will continue to be unsettled. The club is past the time when it's British players were super talented and deserved to be the core of the team. Now they are all poor and overpayed and have no reason to be in the first team yet get preferential treatment. The foreign players see this, they know this and that's why some are never going to stay here witnessing such nonsense. Have we ever sold any English player since Welbeck who Arsenal just disposed off? I struggle to remember.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
And this is why foreign players will continue to be unsettled. The club is past the time when it's British players were super talented and deserved to be the core of the team. Now they are all poor and overpayed and have no reason to be in the first team yet get preferential treatment. The foreign players see this, they know this and that's why some are never going to stay here witnessing such nonsense. Have we ever sold any English player since Welbeck who Arsenal just disposed off? I struggle to remember.
Think we usually only seem to get rid of young players. Jones, Young and Smalling are on a cushy number.

Rooney24

There will be no clear out, at least not to the level that some are expecting. There has never been one in the past there is unlikely to be one now. Its just not how it works.

The biggest summer of players going out that I remember is when we let Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis go at the end of 1995, and that was largely because of the talent coming through at that time.

Unfortunately we are stuck with a few of this lot for a while yet.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We're probably looking at Pogba and DdG going. Also Lukaku and Herrara. And they will all be playing a lot better and for more money when they go. Our club has become toxic. The Glazers need to go.

hungrywing

You can even do one better: was Ole hired to perform the 'clear out' much like 'interim/temporary CEOs' get hired to perform mass-layoffs?

hungrywing

And then resign for the new manager to come in and rebuild?
Yes that's usually what happens when they do something like that. They do it to minimize animosity towards the then-succeeding executive. AKA he's not the dude that fired everyone.

Not that I believe that's what's going on here, but the Glazers and Woodward will be very familiar with the practice.

King_Cantona07

I was stating this in other thread don’t be surprised if we see young, jones , smalling , Lingard, mata etc stay and the good players being thrown out.

-Supreme-

There will be no clear out, at least not to the level that some are expecting. There has never been one in the past there is unlikely to be one now. Its just not how it works.

The biggest summer of players going out that I remember is when we let Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis go at the end of 1995, and that was largely because of the talent coming through at that time.

Unfortunately we are stuck with a few of this lot for a while yet.
We should have a good idea of who he wants to get rid when we see the starting line up for the Cardiff game

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Good observation, OP. I think it is a real worry that we could see many of the better members of our squad leave, which means spinning our wheels as much of the deadwood is retained just to avoid excessive turnover. Pogba and De Gea commiting would be the best early news for that reason. If they go, then our squad is almost certainly weaker headed into next season, no matter what likely happens. Herrera is readily replaceable though in my opinion.

Do we even have any best players? They're all equally useless as far as I can tell.
Hearing quite a few people say how Ole is just a yes man and won't say anything against Ed or the owners so what your saying might have some substance but what players are we actually talking about ?

After today's performance and the season in general I can't believe other teams will be bashing the doors down to sign anyone ! and who in there right mind wants to come to a club like we have at the min.

complete mess and embarrassing, Ole will be the scapegoat for it but the whole lot need to look at themselves from the bottom to the top, clearout on every level in my opinion.
How are posts like this from new members of the forum getting through? An interesting opening post gets immediately mired in shit and poorly written posts.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I was stating this in other thread don’t be surprised if we see young, jones , smalling , Lingard, mata etc stay and the good players being thrown out.
Most definitely. I expect the rubbish players to stay because they know how good they have it here whilst the good players will be leaving the sinking, stinking ship.

big rons sovereign

Good observation, OP. I think it is a real worry that we could see many of the better members of our squad leave, which means spinning our wheels as much of the deadwood is retained just to avoid excessive turnover. Pogba and De Gea commiting would be the best early news for that reason. If they go, then our squad is almost certainly weaker headed into next season, no matter what likely happens. Herrera is readily replaceable though in my opinion.

How are posts like this from new members of the forum getting through? An interesting opening post gets immediately mired in shit and poorly written posts.
I do apologise that my meagre opinion doesn't sit in line with yours Mr Top Red.
How can I fix this terrible issue?
Perhaps we should all share same view as your own extremely important and apparently correct opinion?
Yes, that's it, we'll all think the same then we can all be happy, the answer to world peace right here before our eyes.
It's a forum mate. You don't like what I'm saying? Scroll on.

King_Cantona07

Most definitely. I expect the rubbish players to stay because they know how good they have it here whilst the good players will be leaving the sinking, stinking ship.
Never thought this day will come for us. Sad times really.

RuudTom83

I’d love to know the chain of command at the club, for example when a manager gets the sack is it just a chat between Woody and the Glazers?

Glazers—>Woody—>Manager

If so then there is no hope of anything changing anytime soon.

I wouldn’t even give the Glazers credit for putting a spin on it!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hearing quite a few people say how Ole is just a yes man and won't say anything against Ed or the owners so what your saying might have some substance but what players are we actually talking about ?

After today's performance and the season in general I can't believe other teams will be bashing the doors down to sign anyone ! and who in there right mind wants to come to a club like we have at the min.

complete mess and embarrassing, Ole will be the scapegoat for it but the whole lot need to look at themselves from the bottom to the top, clearout on every level in my opinion.
Our player arent shite. None of them are really shite. Watch pogba suddenly turns out world class if he moves to madrid.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I do apologise that my meagre opinion doesn't sit in line with yours Mr Top Red.
How can I fix this terrible issue?
Perhaps we should all share same view as your own extremely important and apparently correct opinion?
Yes, that's it, we'll all think the same then we can all be happy, the answer to world peace right here before our eyes.
It's a forum mate. You don't like what I'm saying? Scroll on.
If you genuinely think every player in our squad is "equally useless" and that's all you have to offer to the discussion, then I don't need to say anything further.