Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
What is "EU football"? And why should fans all around Europe care if it's Real Madrid who wins Champions League all the time, or if it is PSG?

As long as there are no means for 99% of clubs to compete, most of us couldn't care less about what Juventus, Real Madrid and others moan about. Your clubs are to us the same as PSG.
I mean, I am not paid to parrot or support anything, I am just sharing that little bit that percolates down to my small work place at the periphery of the union.

You can do what you like… maybe, also reading that the proponents are calling for an NBA-like model which would give “smaller markets” in the EU the visibility they lost time ago.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I mean, I am not paid to parrot or support anything, I am just sharing that little bit that percolates down to my small work place at the periphery of the union.

You can do what you like… maybe, also reading that the proponents are calling for an NBA-like model which would give “smaller markets” in the EU the visibility they lost time ago.
What does an NBA-like model mean, closed system in which only the big clubs play? I'd be all for that, if they'd be forever banned from national leagues. That's the only thing that would give visibility to "smaller markets".

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Juventus are leaving the 3-club ESL.

In June, Juventus wanted talks with the two Spanish giants and have now started discussing their exit from the plan.

In a statement released on Thursday, it said the exit would only be effective if authorised by Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"Following such discussions, and given the existing discrepancies on the interpretation of the relevant contractual terms applicable to the Super League Project, Juventus confirms that it has initiated the procedure to exit," a statement read.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
With the prior recommendation, it is almost certain UEFA will win. What is interesting now is whether there will be any remit on UEFA to punish Real, Barca and Juve. I suspect there will be.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I reckon it's legal. I just don't see English clubs ever being involved as it'll damage the domestic league.

So it's DOA still.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I reckon it's legal. I just don't see English clubs ever being involved as it'll damage the domestic league.

So it's DOA still.
They will all be happy to breakaway. They’re just longing it out rather than the suddenness of last time. The likes of City will now be thinking why should we put up with all these charges when we could just go and do what we want without any rules.

At the end of the day the global audience is where the money is and they will want to watch the big teams play each other. The ordinary match going fans were forgotten about along time ago.

cyberman

So it's DOA still.
The government have already said they’ll just make it illegal for English clubs to play in it and that’s that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

So it's DOA still.
Would it also not damage English clubs if they're playing in the UCL against nobodies?

Moriarty

The government have already said they’ll just make it illegal for English clubs to play in it and that’s that.
Boris Johnson's "legislative bomb" wasn't it? I don't think it's on the books but I don't think they'd hesitate enacting it if such a plan were resurrected.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Isnt government involvement illegal under FIFA rules?
Yes but on the other hand would FIFA want a superleague outside UEFA control? Probably not, but then money would change hands as it does with FIFA and EUFA and then what happened would depend on who pays the most. And if courts are involved, both UK and ECHR god knows but it could take years. Completely unpredictable.

As for being 'illegal', I think FIFA do have the power to exclude the national team from their competitions if they choose.

Last edited:

el3mel

If they make a Super League now, will we even be in it ? I can list ton of clubs who will be more exciting options than us to be included. If we join, it'll mostly only due to our popularity.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They will all be happy to breakaway. They’re just longing it out rather than the suddenness of last time. The likes of City will now be thinking why should we put up with all these charges when we could just go and do what we want without any rules.

At the end of the day the global audience is where the money is and they will want to watch the big teams play each other. The ordinary match going fans were forgotten about along time ago.
City have already paid off UEFA. It's the PL that are charging them and this Super League wouldn't replace league football.

RoyH1

The likes of City are precisely the kind of clubs that don't like the idea of a club owned competition with a salary cap. One of the main reasons for the whole superleague idea was limiting the spending power of the state owned clubs. Why do you think PSG and UEFA president Ceferin are so incredibly close?

InfiniteBoredom

The likes of City are precisely the kind of clubs that don't like the idea of a club owned competition with a salary cap. One of the main reasons for the whole superleague idea was limiting the spending power of the state owned clubs. Why do you think PSG and UEFA president Ceferin are so incredibly close?
City and Chelsea were both for the super league weren’t they?

Under the originally proposed format, they would be one of the founding clubs. That would cement their place as European football royalties forever and cockblock any new money from upsetting the new status quo, unless given their permission.

RoyH1

City and Chelsea were both for the super league weren’t they?

Under the originally proposed format, they would be one of the founding clubs. That would cement their place as European football royalties forever and cockblock any new money from upsetting the new status quo, unless given their permission.
City was dragged into it for the fear of being left out in the cold and jumped ship as soon as they could. They want the UEFA status quo as it benefits them enormously
Chelsea is not state owned so it’s a moot point. I suppose Boehly will like the more like franchise system because it’s what he knows from the US.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It could be back again

That isn't what was recommended last year and almost always, the recommendation gets passed. I'd be surprised if the SL gets the decision it wants. For me, this is more a case of Perez brazening it out.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Long term, if the competitive element is reduced, the product loses its attraction to a lot of people. Who wants to watch a closed shop driven largely by money?

I used to watch golf every week, can’t be arsed with it now everybody is selling their soul to go play in non-competitive formats.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If they make a Super League now, will we even be in it ? I can list ton of clubs who will be more exciting options than us to be included. If we join, it'll mostly only due to our popularity.
i mean why even bother existing anymore, we should just close the club, shut up shop

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Hope it becomes a reality.

Considering what FIFA, UEFA and the leagues in general are up to, i'm not sure why people are so against the idea of a new league

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah the idea that people would stop watching their team because of the superleague is insane. The SL would be the most profitable sports league in the world by a very wide margin if it brings in enough big clubs and plays enough games

cyberman

Yeah the idea that people would stop watching their team because of the superleague is insane. The SL would be the most profitable sports league in the world by a very wide margin if it brings in enough big clubs and plays enough games
I disagree. I’m not sure the SL would even overtake the EPL. England would just become a mini super league on its own with most of the watchable teams playing there. Who would pay a lot to see Fury v Usyk if it Happened somewhere else a week before the PPV?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree. I’m not sure the SL would even overtake the EPL. England would just become a mini super league on its own with most of the watchable teams playing there. Who would pay a lot to see Fury v Usyk if it Happened somewhere else a week before the PPV?
The Champions League already rakes in more money on an annual basis than the PL. With less than half the games

The SL would piss on the PL, if done the way Perez wants

cyberman

The Champions League already rakes in more money on an annual basis than the PL. With less than half the games

The SL would piss on the PL, if done the way Perez wants
Are we sure about that? The epl deal from uk rights alone is worth about 7b over 4 years

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Are we sure about that? The epl deal from uk rights alone is worth about 7b over 4 years
Not so sure but a quick search showed CL revenue for last season at over 2B euros - which should be slightly more than the PL -, and the CL is apparently looking at a figure in the same ballpark as the new PL deal but over 3 years rather than 4...

I was wrong about the number of games though since i forgot about the ridiculous blackout - seriously, the english* are such an unserious people - but it's still 200 games to 125

*not actually true since most owners aren't english nowadays, but i couldn't resist :D

cyberman

Not so sure but a quick search showed CL revenue for last season at over 2B euros - which should be slightly more than the PL -, and the CL is apparently looking at a figure in the same ballpark as the new PL deal but over 3 years rather than 4...
But my figure is only domestic rights . More or less double it for international. In fact international rights are expected to overtake domestic rights in the next deal.
You’re talking 12-13 billion over 4 years. CL isn’t worth more than that

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But my figure is only domestic rights . More or less double it for international. In fact international rights are expected to overtake domestic rights in the next deal.
You’re talking 12-13 billion over 4 years. CL isn’t worth more than that
I don't think that's right

Btw that is the ballpark a SL would sell for anyways

cyberman

I don't think that's right

Btw that is the ballpark a SL would sell for anyways
It is though, the new deal is just for the UK market, they’ve sold off more games and showing concurrent games but that number is UK alone
https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...s-67bn-tv-rights-deal-with-sky-and-tnt-sports

CL just isn’t touching that. Unless the SL expect these broadcasters to fork out another 8b of on top of winning bids for EPL then I can’t see where the value is, they already have their audience with those matches.
Amazon have been allowed to win CL Tuesdays nights for a reason.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It’s though, the new deal is just for the UK market, they’ve sold off more games and showing concurrent games but that number is UK alone
https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...s-67bn-tv-rights-deal-with-sky-and-tnt-sports

CL just isn’t touching that. Unless the SL expect these broadcasters to fork out another 8b of on top of winning bids for EPL then I can’t see where the value is, they already have their audience with those matches.
Amazon have been allowed to win CL Tuesdays nights for a reason.
Estimates for the 24-27 3 years deal are in the region of 4.5-5B euros per season.

You have a point about saturation though. Not sure how that would go

Further research points to PL generating 6B in revenue for 21/22 vs nearly 4B by the CL, so yeah, it appears you're right.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It would be bizarre to watch the EPL where top 4 doesn’t mean shit. Yeah, let’s qualify for the UCL where our biggest challenger will be Sparta Prague. I think a super league with all the big European teams holds more weight especially when they’ll have more money than they do now.

The UCL looks a mess next season and foreseeable future, it’s basically a shit version of the super league.

cyberman

It would be bizarre to watch the EPL where top 4 doesn’t mean shit. Yeah, let’s qualify for the UCL where our biggest challenger will be Sparta Prague. I think a super league with all the big European teams holds more weight especially when they’ll have more money than they do now.

The UCL looks a mess next season and foreseeable future, it’s basically a shit version of the super league.
It only really turns into a top 4 race towards the end of a season. Even then if it isn’t a closed shop then you still have that element of top 4/5.
How many teams could win the SL anyway? There would be more dead games in that competition than in a non top 4 league. It’s dead as it is if you look at the CL draw.
The problem a SL would have is the amount of English teams needed. It’s ok having the biggest names but English teams are getting it together further down the league. Why should Madrid v Dortmund be more exciting than City v Villa? Brighton v Spurs? Even Newcastle are a new entity at the top of the league.
If this were 2009 then fair enough, a SL has a chance but we’re in 2023 where La Liga doesn’t have bidders in England due to a lack of interest and the CL isn’t being revamped because the world is too excited about PSG v Bayern

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
The english sides probably wont join, after the fallout from it the first time.

How interesting will the Super league really be without them?

RoyH1

The english sides probably wont join, after the fallout from it the first time.

How interesting will the Super league really be without them?
I think we could have a repeat of the European Cup. English clubs didn't participate the first couple of years but ended up coming into the fold. It'd be the same here. UEFA has nothing to offer them outside of the PL if the ESL becomes a reality.

People are manipulated by the media into arguing that this is about the "soul" of the game and some other childish crap like that. Its nothing of the sort. It's about which group of billionaires cash in. This group or the other group. Not much changes for the average fan or mid table club in Albania or Finland. Specially now that they've made it open for participation from other clubs.

Telsim

The parasites know what they are doing. That's why they are hellbent on sticking around. This shite looks to be just a matter of time. And the worst thing is it will probably be wildly successful. Even if the English clubs initially refuse to participate, they will come around eventually. You telling me City, Chelsea and Newcastle won't do it? Of course they will.