Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The premier league and FA currently are blocking English clubs from joining.
The english fans are blocking english clubs. The moment the SL becomes palatable to fans there's not much the PL or FA can do about it

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Bunch of newbies posting that this is a good idea. Interesting. I wonder are they paying for bots to post saying this is a good idea - certainly the case on reddit.

feck this idea and feck the ESL. Stupid idea that nobody wants. Just feck off.

strandty

The english fans are blocking english clubs. The moment the SL becomes palatable to fans there's not much the PL or FA can do about it
I think the introduction of a fully open promotion/relegation will make it a lot easier for people to take. It's going to be the case of which European tournament will survive if it gets off the ground.

cyberman

I like the idea and it's better than current UEFA competitions.

English clubs won't be allowed to join obviously, however, would we really want to play in a CL without spanish and italian clubs? Because I'm pretty sure that they won't rest until it happens. This will make the CL useless. And what stops other clubs in Germany and France from joining? The premier league and the FA should be open to the idea.
Fan backlash won’t allow clubs form those countries to join.
I’ll even go as far as saying the app is a terrible idea, it’s turning all of media against them. The propaganda wages against the ESL will be insane

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
They can feck off with this. I'm actually looking forward to the proper European tournaments with their new league phase format from next season.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
But I just don't know if this ESL thing is the answer. It's led by Real Madrid and Barca. Perez and Laporta. Almost dodgy elitist corrupt. Not the right men to fix football. Not sure we can trust them. They mostly care about the best interest of their clubs.
I mean.... I'm absolutely certain we can't.

Someone

Something
Fan backlash won’t allow clubs form those countries to join.
I’ll even go as far as saying the app is a terrible idea, it’s turning all of media against them. The propaganda wages against the ESL will be insane
What makes you think that there'll be a similar fan backlash this time? The first iteration of the ESL was really stupid. Now if anyone can join, if there's relegation and promotion, then it's a different game.

I even think the new proposed format will be easily subject to change with negotiations, they could allow a higher number for relegations/promotions, 4 instead of 2 for example, among other things. Then if it's financially more rewarding, what is there to push against?

RedRocket9908

Bunch of newbies posting that this is a good idea. Interesting. I wonder are they paying for bots to post saying this is a good idea - certainly the case on reddit.

Why is this any different to the Champions League?, its just an independent version of the new Champions League format but will have 3 tiers instead of 3 seperate competitions and wont be a cash cow to fill the pockets of UEFA or allow the TV companies to charge the fans extortionate amounts to watch it.

Ludens the Red

Well those teams are basically dead as it stands, and an ESL would allow them to hold onto players that little bit longer and invest in their facilities and allow them to attract better players.

It’s not like we are competing with a great system as is. The PL have allowed their own league to be dominated by a side playing without financial rules or restrictions for over a decade and they have done absolutely nothing about it.

We are arguing about what could happen to the game, when it was already lost a long time ago. Who cares about Al Nassr participating when Newcastle already exist?

It doesn’t matter anymore.
Im genuinely asking how. You’ve not really stated. How does the ESL enable them to do that?
How does the initial selection phase work then? Why should St Etienne or other larger sleeping giant clubs be allowed into the ESL to begin with ahead of smaller clubs currently outperforming them?

People seem to have taken up this mantra of “oh uefa, pl and fifa are corrupt so might aswell”. Sometimes the better the devil you know and m this kind of corruption would be absolutely ripe in a newly created organisation where there are literally no rules in place as it stands. The Arab states etc will not just sit back and allow the ESL to form without them getting involved and having a massive say.
These owners at Real and Barca, they’re doing this for self preservation. They can be bought and the highest bidders are the Arab state. At least uefa have some semblance of rules that would prevent such a thing.

Also fans will definitely care if they’re having to do away days in Saudi Arabia or UAE.

That's how I see it, eliminate the competition (UEFA) and once it's all settled, it'll soon become a paid subscription. Apart from Red Star Belgrade vs Dinamo Zagreb at 4am on a Sunday in Dubai.

It'll go the way of Netflix and DAZN, as soon as they have the subscriber base in place, they'll creep up the prices, which will inflate each season. There's billions being pumped into this, they'll want a return eventually.
Aye. The idea this will be free every year is laughable. The only way it could be free for any significant period of time is if the ESL is actually being run and funded by the Arab states which I have a sneaky suspicion it is and therefore profits are irrelevant.

sepulturite

It's meant to be an alternative to current UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues.

My biggest issue with the initial proposal was that not everyone was able to get in, but if it's an alternative competition with a system in place that allows any club to qualify, then why not?
I know that, I'm saying it'll affect the domestic leagues in the long run in my opinion, they will try to expand it more and more to the point where teams will just not care about their domestic leagues anymore.

stevoc

That the main salesman for a concept that no one as yet have bought, says ‘it will be an open competition’, does not make it apparent at all that it will be. It’s like a Estate Developer in order to win a sale of public land saying ‘our intention is now to use the land for public purposes and we will not prioritise our company profit’.

As long as the control of 90% of the money flow is on the hands of a few oligarch clubs, they can ‘intend’ to keep the possibility open for themselves to lose that oligarch power by relegation, or they can just decide at any point to close that option. To me that’s very apparent.
True but it doesn't mean it won't be either. Last time round they tried to make a closed a shop like the NBA, that's the main reason fans reacted so badly towards it. They want this to get off the ground and get fans onside this time. If making it open to all teams is the cost then I'm sure they'll pay it.

Either way it would be pretty apparent from the off if they weren't opening it up for qualification.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really shit proposal again. So for a team to rise into it out of nowhere.... They'd need to have 3 excellent years in a row just to be able to participate in the gold division? :houllier:

Nobody of importance will sign up for this. This is a ploy for spanish and Italian clubs to save their skins financially as they are fecked compared to English clubs. Anybody outside the most elite are also fecking their own futures by locking themselves out of the elite group basically. They see that the premier league is basically the super League in financial power, so are trying to stop that.

At least they have a video though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I think there’s an underestimation of the new generation of football fans. The ESL is right up their street.

cyberman

Oh yeah, of course we're talking in hypotheticals here. There is no superleague right now, nor anytime soon I'd imagine

But in theory a tournament including madrid, barcelona, bayern, the big italian clubs, the big english clubs, etc? Of course it would be absurdly profitable
Of course but you aren’t getting English, German or French clubs and that’s a problem if you want to make a splash so big that it changes the minds of those clubs and fans. If it idles alongside the CL etc then it going to end up nowhere
Id go the other way, if this fractures European football to any great extent then you just may see clubs and fans turn their backs on European competition. It seems people may be overlooking the falling of enthusiasm for cross league matches as a tournament layout problem rather than a simple lack of interest

BristolRuss

A minimum of 14 games per season for every team? That is the same as getting to the final currently. I presume a team going all the way would have to play 19 games?

Feels like something would have to give in the EPL for that schedule to be possible. Super league teams might have to drop the league cup or something.

Edit: wait that's more than getting to the current final...

Lay

They can feck off with this. I'm actually looking forward to the proper European tournaments with their new league phase format from next season.
Isn’t this basically the same thing but without UEFA? Next years European competition are 3 leagues where the winner moves up.

cyberman

What makes you think that there'll be a similar fan backlash this time? The first iteration of the ESL was really stupid. Now if anyone can join, if there's relegation and promotion, then it's a different game.

I even think the new proposed format will be easily subject to change with negotiations, they could allow a higher number for relegations/promotions, 4 instead of 2 for example, among other things. Then if it's financially more rewarding, what is there to push against?
Have you seen the teams interested a few pages back? That’s where the relegation is coming from. The top teams will be cocooned away in safety.

cyberman

Even Atletico aren’t backing it. How super is this league?

Atlético de Madrid, after analyzing the ruling of the Court of Justice of the European Union, wants to state the following:
The resolution on the prior authorization framework for other competitions refers to old UEFA statutes that were already modified in June 2022.
2. The European Club Association (ECA) and UEFA have created a partnership that makes the consideration that UEFA is a monopoly meaningless, since the clubs, by virtue of the agreements adopted within this joint partnership ( ´joint venture´), they decide at 50% to whom the sponsorship and television rights are sold and the distribution of said income, as well as the competition formats.
3. The European football family does not want the European Super League. Germany, France, England, Italy, Spain (except for Real Madrid and Barcelona), etc. They don't want the Super League. We are in favor of protecting the great family of European football, of protecting the domestic leagues and through them achieving qualification for European competitions on the field of play each season.

DevTheRed

This will come about one way or another whether we like it or not. Unfortunately these days money rules over everything.

I can obviously see why like clubs in Europe would want to get into this as their finances have been in tatters for years now but do premier league clubs really need this? Strongest league in the world with the biggest pay packets available.. just seems pointless.

But as others have said what is the point of the CL if you don’t have the likes of Madrid, Barca, Juve, Milan’s, Bayern, PSG(lol).. the majority will just force our hand unfortunately.

RedUnited86

Honestly, who gives a shit?

This 'football is for the fans' nonsense went out the window years ago, it didn't start with the initial Super League proposal.

Uefa/FIFA/Sky etc are only outraged because the monopoly that they've had for donkeys year is now under threat.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Manchester United has issued the following statement in reaction to today's judgement by the European Court of Justice on the European Super League:

Our position has not changed. We remain fully committed to participation in UEFA competitions, and to positive cooperation with UEFA, the Premier League, and fellow clubs through the ECA on the continued development of the European game.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Even Atletico aren’t backing it. How super is this league?

Atlético de Madrid, after analyzing the ruling of the Court of Justice of the European Union, wants to state the following:
The resolution on the prior authorization framework for other competitions refers to old UEFA statutes that were already modified in June 2022.
2. The European Club Association (ECA) and UEFA have created a partnership that makes the consideration that UEFA is a monopoly meaningless, since the clubs, by virtue of the agreements adopted within this joint partnership ( ´joint venture´), they decide at 50% to whom the sponsorship and television rights are sold and the distribution of said income, as well as the competition formats.
3. The European football family does not want the European Super League. Germany, France, England, Italy, Spain (except for Real Madrid and Barcelona), etc. They don't want the Super League. We are in favor of protecting the great family of European football, of protecting the domestic leagues and through them achieving qualification for European competitions on the field of play each season.
Shout out to Real and Barca… nice :)

hobbers

They’re putting it on streaming for free to make up for the fact that all these new games will end up played in soulless domes in the desert

Cloud7

This will come about one way or another whether we like it or not. Unfortunately these days money rules over everything.

I can obviously see why like clubs in Europe would want to get into this as their finances have been in tatters for years now but do premier league clubs really need this? Strongest league in the world with the biggest pay packets available.. just seems pointless.

But as others have said what is the point of the CL if you don’t have the likes of Madrid, Barca, Juve, Milan’s, Bayern, PSG(lol).. the majority will just force our hand unfortunately.
Bayern were totally against it if I remember correctly, same with PSG. This is real, Barca and the Italian clubs

Oranges038

Honestly if this goes through, I'll not even bother watching even if it is free. There has to be a catch in there somewhere.

I'd rather go watch 22 half drunk overweight lads slog it out on a hot Sunday morning than give this any time.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Honestly if this goes through, I'll not even bother watching even if it is free. There has to be a catch in there somewhere.

I'd rather go watch 22 half drunk overweight lads slog it out on a hot Sunday morning than give this any time.
Seems like a right dilemma.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The cons far outweigh the pros.

PROS
- State ownership and sportswashing will in theory become less effective. Although it's NOT guaranteed!

NEUTRAL
- There will be a higher concentration of top games. Why is this in 'neutral' and not 'pros'? Because a big part of the charm is the rarity of these games. If there are several top games per week (domestic and continental) then they lose a lot of the magic. I like a good steak too but don't want it several times a week.

CONS
- How do we know if this is not just a gateway to their initial uncompetitive proposition? 10 years from now they might just stop relegation from Star altogether and no one will be able to stop them.

- The CL is 6 games minimum and 13 games maximum. This ECL is 14 games minimum and 19 (?) games maximum. This is a large increase in games. Especially considering how there's already too much football.

- Now matter how you swing it, this is still a way for the big dogs to avoid playing against the "plebs". Only 2 out of the 16 big teams get relegated. This means that smaller clubs practically never get a chance to play the likes of Real, Barca and Bayern again. That is just sad for football.

- 64 teams across 3 tiers is not a lot of teams! It is a significant reduction compared to CL + EL+ Conference. How is this good for smaller clubs?

- How are they gonna solve promotion to Blue? It seems very chaotic compared to the current European football system.

- This clearly weakens the Premier League. This might be a 'pro' to some of course...

Hakara

Supports
Bayern München
Really thought it would be hard for me to hate Real Madrid and Barcelona any more than I already do. But like a Christmas miracle they managed it.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That twat behind this couldn't be more obvious he isn't arsed about football, just lining his own pockets.

All the clubs coming out with statements already is showing how dead this is :lol:

Only real and Barca want it for a mega cash injection to balance their books.

Lay

The cons far outweigh the pros.

PROS
- State ownership and sportswashing will in theory become less effective. Although it's NOT guaranteed!

NEUTRAL
- There will be a higher concentration of top games. Why is this in 'neutral' and not 'pros'? Because a big part of the charm is the rarity of these games. If there are several top games per week (domestic and continental) then they lose a lot of the magic. I like a good steak too but don't want it several times per week.

CONS
- How do we know if this is not just a gateway to their initial uncompetitive proposition? 10 years from now they might just stop relegation from Star altogether and no one will be able to stop them.

- The CL is 6 games minimum and 13 games maximum. This ECL is 14 games minimum and 19 (?) games maximum. This is a large increase in games. Especially considering how there's already too much football.
The new UCL is a minimum 8 games in a 24 team league system. Top 8 qualify for last 16, 9-16 have an extra round of fixtures.

fergies coat

Barcelona and Real Madrid have absolutely milked La liga with thier unfair split in tv money, and now that has run dry and the PL are tops dogs they come up with this dog shit idea and claim its for the fans.

ShinjiNinja26

Feck this shit. Just stinks of the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and the Italian clubs throwing their toys out the pram because their leagues don’t get the attention or the money they once did. They didn’t give a shit about anyone else when they had it good so feck the lot of them.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The new UCL is a minimum 8 games in a 24 team league system. Top 8 qualify for last 16, 9-16 have an extra round of fixtures.
Still a huge increase though (and I was against the new CL system too).