Is the European super league back? | United Statement: We remain committed to UEFA

Real Name

At this stage, i can’t imagine how it can be any worse than the current situation with UEFA and FIFA behind the wheel. The only thing down the road is FIFA including more and more games to increase their revenue, like their revamped club world cup, more national team matches. Same with UEFA.
Oh trust me. It can get worse.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Madrid and Barca have extracted virtually all of the revenue out of La Liga and devalued it as a result.
I don't think this is true. The draw to La Liga during the Messi/Ronaldo years was precisely because of those 2 teams. Would La Liga be better off today if the revenue split was more equitable? Debatable.

I think PL fans overrate the competitiveness of the PL as a draw for neutral watchers. Serie A has been more competitive than the PL in recent years but no one is flocking to see Napoli play Atalanta.

adexkola

Supports
What could actually work, is a super league serving as the apex of a regional pyramid comprised of French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian teams.

It would be revolting to see Barcelona and Madrid distance themselves from the bread and butter La Liga teams (ditto for other top teams) but if done right, such a league could rival the Premier League in terms of revenue and interest. Promotion and relegation (bottom 10 go down). Equitable revenue sharing. Squad limits.

LARulz

Saudis will jump at this but then I don't think Madrid/Barca want to do it without a cap in place cos they'd be the Burnley of the league (financially)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What could actually work, is a super league serving as the apex of a regional pyramid comprised of French, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian teams.
That's what i think too but i just can't see how it can be done. Spain has 5 professional levels to the pyramid, Italy 3, France 2. Currently that's 100 professional teams in Italy, 48(will be 46 next season) in France, but Spain? Spain has 496 professional clubs right now. And the lower divisions are barely surviving as it is

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mind you, if the saudis get involved and start bankrolling this with billions, i'm not sure the rest will have a choice. It's one thing to refuse the saudi money when it means moving to saudi arabia, quite another when you get paid those money to stay in europe and play for/against real madrid, barcelona, juventus, napoli, etc...

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Could be like an NBA system but talking europe meaning every country provides a handful of clubs. For the other clubs its over. It's just City, United, Chelsea, Pool and Arse. Pick a new club and become a supporter. Playing wise maybe they implent some things from Pique ball to spice it up and get gen z hooked on ball.

Every club has the same amout of money. Concerning excitement and balance, this could be very interesting. No one wants to see City or Bayern bring in the championship year after year while outspending everyone and their grandma.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The fact that we have Real and Barca fans in here saying this is a great idea (because they'll financially benefit from it), whilst ignoring any comments about how this will feck smaller clubs up, hasn't escaped me. We've been here before with La Liga.

There's no point in debating anyone who has a clear vested interest in this because they've wasted the good times and found their clubs plunged into heavy debt, with no end in sight because they've stripped their own domestic league of any real competitive edge. They'll keep trying to persuade you that this is somehow great for everyone, when it very clearly isn't. Incredibly selfish but not at all unexpected.

adexkola

Supports
Could be like an NBA system but talking europe meaning every country provides a handful of clubs. For the other clubs its over. It's just City, United, Chelsea, Pool and Arse. Pick a new club and become a supporter. Playing wise maybe they implent some things from Pique ball to spice it up and get gen z hooked on ball.

Every club has the same amout of money. Concerning excitement and balance, this could be very interesting. No one wants to see City or Bayern bring in the championship year after year while outspending everyone and their grandma.
What's this?

The closed form of the original proposal was one of the things that turned supporters away from the idea.

That's what i think too but i just can't see how it can be done. Spain has 5 professional levels to the pyramid, Italy 3, France 2. Currently that's 100 professional teams in Italy, 48(will be 46 next season) in France, but Spain? Spain has 496 professional clubs right now. And the lower divisions are barely surviving as it is
Yeah, seems like you would see less money flow into what's left of La Liga and Segunda and so on, and clubs would have to restructure or die.

But these proposals have never been about the health of the pyramid. It's not Getafe worrying about being left behind by Southampton; it's Barcelona

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The fact that we have Real and Barca fans in here saying this is a great idea (because they'll financially benefit from it), whilst ignoring any comments about how this will feck smaller clubs up, hasn't escaped me. We've been here before with La Liga.

There's no point in debating anyone who has a clear vested interest in this because they've wasted the good times and found their clubs plunged into heavy debt, with no end in sight because they've stripped their own domestic league of any real competitive edge. They'll keep trying to persuade you that this is somehow great for everyone, when it very clearly isn't. Incredibly selfish but not at all unexpected.
Well said. The lack of criticism towards their club officials is also impressive. They just accept everything that’s being said to them. I don’t think I know fans of other clubs with as little critical thinking as they have. Especially at Barca. If I were a fan, considering the financial shape of the club, i wouldn’t support any person even remotely associated with the mess. But their fans chose to actively defend the gravediggers.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Madrid have overcome the 32 group stages in the Champions League, all editions, and is more or less assured of at least the Champions League quarterfinals each year.
In la liga it is the team with the most financial advantage (the television distribution was decided unanimously among all the clubs years ago) and will win many ligas in the future, plus a new stadium to get more money.
The current model is beneficial, but beyond suspicion due to our sympathies, there are state financed teams that have been doing what they want, a champions that is already repetitive and the same winners in the leagues.
A model revision does not necessarily have to be bad

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There's no point in debating anyone who has a clear vested interest in this because they've wasted the good times and found their clubs plunged into heavy debt, with no end in sight because they've stripped their own domestic league of any real competitive edge.
yeah see this is bullshit no matter how many times people parrot it. La Liga missed its chance in the early 00s and the Valencia, Depor, Real Sociedad, etc were just as guilty of it as Madrid and Barcelona. They were the ones opposing collective tv rights and not thinking about growing the league back then. By the 10s the genie was out the bottle, too late to change the dynamic

Arios

Supports
Juventus
as much as I'd like to see fresh air
and as much as football needs to be restructured in Europe
I don't think it's gonna happen. At least not with this A22 company.
They burned bridges. Now everyone see the SL as some kind of Hydra with 9 heads and nobody wanna step on a new shit.
Also this new proposal they made look shitty honestly.

I could understand the first project but this? what would it bring different from current CL? more money as you cut off UEFA from the pie? that's it? CL/UL/Conference but with uglier names?

grahamo

Maybe it's worth a shot. UEFA and FIFA have been proven to be totally corrupt. They have taken the working man's game and milked it to death. The fans don't matter any more. It's their money that matters. Will the ESL do anything for grassroots football?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Why the other clubs don't insist on a fairer distribution of TV money is beyond me, they would win easily. A nation of forelock-tugging cowards.

saivet

Well said. The lack of criticism towards their club officials is also impressive. They just accept everything that’s being said to them. I don’t think I know fans of other clubs with as little critical thinking as they have. Especially at Barca. If I were a fan, considering the financial shape of the club, i wouldn’t support any person even remotely associated with the mess. But their fans chose to actively defend the gravediggers.
I think it's a footballing cultural thing too. The ESL in this or the previous format would actually be a great format for Manchester United from a business perspective. From a sporting perspective, there are also fans that don't give a feck about other clubs/leagues and would like to their club be as relevant as possible. From a self-interest point of view, I can understand the mentality of feck everyone else, let's enjoy being at the top table. We hate our owners and the footballing culture is evidently very different to those in Spain.

cyberman

Madrid have overcome the 32 group stages in the Champions League, all editions, and is more or less assured of at least the Champions League quarterfinals each year.
In la liga it is the team with the most financial advantage (the television distribution was decided unanimously among all the clubs years ago) and will win many ligas in the future, plus a new stadium to get more money.
The current model is beneficial, but beyond suspicion due to our sympathies, there are state financed teams that have been doing what they want, a champions that is already repetitive and the same winners in the leagues.
A model revision does not necessarily have to be bad
You’re assured because there’s no risk to your team missing out on top 4. You’re able to take allowances and build for CL football since it transitions to your league as well.
You can’t do that in England. Liverpool went from needing a goalkeeper to score a last minute winner to qualify for the CL from which they the reached the final of. This is Arsenals second year competing at the top yet their first CL campaign in 6/7 years. 3 of last years top 4 didn’t have CL for that season.
Because of that squad depth is becoming a monster in England and it’s filtering down the league.
Everything is being England centric, even Madrid today is revolving around an Englishman never mind Kane becoming king of Germany and the talent pool that’s coming through isn’t slowing down. IMO that’s what’s worrying the other teams, not only are they able to throw around more money but they are bringing through a ridiculous amount of players that’s almost saving them twice as much if they were buying them in the open market.
Plus Madrid and Barca fans being worried about clubs throwing their money around and repetitive champions is beyond parody

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Easy fix to all this is to let RM into the EPL :angel::D

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

That + the usual poster with contrarian views (who is apparently agreeing with the SL but only in a form of his imagination that has never been discussed or envisaged, but will say he endorses the project because feck the PL because so edgy) supporting this proposal tells you everything you need to know.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
But how many times Feyenoord played Champions in the last decades? What did they achieve? Their european football is Europa league.
Playing middle teams every year doesn't sound so bad, at least for me.
Sporting has reached the round of 16 twice in 30 years. A 0-5 from City in the top competition is not magical, simply two teams in different dimensions.
I understand the excitement of the Champions League and obviously the Super League is not going to turn them into massive teams overnight, but it could be an interesting attempt at change and retain talent.
Sounds like you want to turn something that rarely happens, which is precisely what makes it special, for something where these teams are doomed to second tier competitions regardless of how well they do in their national leagues.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A super league will eventually happen and im all for it. Fifa and Uefa has been ran by corrupted fecks for decades.

I cant understand fans standing behind the elitist corrupted cult. Wasnt the Qatari world cup enough of a wake up call?
And I cant understand anyone who claims to be a United fan throwing their weight behind this - exactly what the glazers are holding out for
It’s $ for the elite. Plain and simple.
btw I heard a rumour that the ESL is backed by oil money.
be careful what you wish for

matt10000

Exactly. No smaller club has won the FA Cup and qualified for Europe on that basis alone since Wigan. However, it’s still a technical possibility. The ESL is designed to eliminate even the theoretical possibility of the top clubs do anything other than stay as the top clubs.

They really don’t want fans of smaller clubs to even have dreams of success. It’s actually kinda sociopathic.
Exactly! I can still remember watford going up the leagues and Forest winning europe twice. All this doesn’t happen now well what anout Leicester winning prem!

…….And they would have to change all the football manager games so that you can no longer take your fav local team from North West Counties to European glory!

adexkola

Supports
Sounds like you want to turn something that rarely happens, which is precisely what makes it special, for something where these teams are doomed to second tier competitions regardless of how well they do in their national leagues.
That's only true in a twisted sense

The current state of European football is deplorable, so much so that Leicester and Braga qualifying for Europe once in a lifetime are seen as special and magical. In isolation, yes. Systemically it's horrible.

But yes, the Super League is a step in the wrong direction.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

The current state of European football is deplorable, so much so that Leicester and Braga qualifying for Europe once in a lifetime are seen as special and magical. In isolation, yes. Systemically it's horrible.

The Super League only accentuates that uniqueness. So indeed, yes, it's a step in the wrong direction.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal

In the last 10 years or so Braga was in the CL 3 times, they played Real Madrid, Arsenal and Manchester United. They've made it to quarter finals of the EL 3 times, one of them they played the final.

So it's more than enough special moments for them. It will all be gone in this new system. In fact, I even doubt Braga would be invited to participate.

golden_blunder

Staff
The best way to bring fun, romance and hope back to football would be to forget this idea of champions league and revert back to a knockout competition. That would bring the passion.

but the $ men would not let that happen because a meaningless draw still generates millions

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
The best way to bring fun, romance and hope back to football would be to forget this idea of champions league and revert back to a knockout competition. That would bring the passion.

but the $ men would not let that happen because a meaningless draw still generates millions
You mean the same system as now? Or no group stages at all and directly go to KO rounds? UEFA seemed to keep the former and not change the format next season, not sure if they’ll go through with it.

I’d actually like a KO only format, CL or ESL. Same amount of teams now, but every match counts.

But yeah less money in that as you mentioned. I’d love such a ruthless format though.

adexkola

Supports

Indeed.

Kill the group stages, invite champions and a few others from across Europe. 1 away and 1 home game. Make it unseeded.

PSV

Indeed.

Kill the group stages, invite champions and a few others from across Europe. 1 away and 1 home game. Make it unseeded.
Yes, I'm all for this so we can speed up this Super League.

golden_blunder

Staff
You mean the same system as now? Or no group stages at all and directly go to KO rounds? UEFA seemed to keep the former and not change the format next season, not sure if they’ll go through with it.

I’d actually like a KO only format, CL or ESL. Same amount of teams now, but every match counts.

But yeah less money in that as you mentioned. I’d love such a ruthless format though.
Yeah no leagues, like it was in the 80s where you could be drawn against anyone. Far more exciting

Terrific Tangerine

Supports
Blackpool
No surprise Barca and Real fans are the only positive voices for a super league.

They've spent decades abusing and draining the value out of la liga instead of ensuring a competitive competition.

Their priority should be to sort their own league out, not create a new one for their shoddy ethics to take them down the same dead end path, this time taking the premier league teams with them.

golden_blunder

Staff
Probably what people were saying in the 1880s too.
Sometimes the retro way is the best way. Football doesn’t need more money, it needs to regulate itself and stop paying higher and higher salaries and transfer costs. When they do that they will find that there is money to do other things

lex talionis

A Super League would be the death of football. The good news is that the Glazers and other parasites -- who can go fukk themselves for even thinking about this again -- got away with erecting this monstrosity there are many other things we can devote our attention to.

golden_blunder

Staff
Barcelona and Real Madrid will be due a loyalty bonus of £870m should plans for a European Super League finally get the go-ahead.