Is there a bigger big game bottler than Raheem Sterling?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Like legit, I’ve never seen a “world class” player disappear as much in big games as this bloke.

It seems that unless a team has an overwhelming advantage or the pressure is off, he disappears. Another big game, another chance to step up, another vanishing act when called upon when it matters.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He'd be some way down the list of people I'd be throwing under the bus right now.

Besides, are all the other knockout games to get you to a final not big games?

Irwin99

Considering him and Kane have been carrying the attack all tournament I think the problems were more the negative set up.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Considering him and Kane have been carrying the attack all tournament I think the problems were more the negative set up.
Harry Kane has carried England's attack ? Wow ok.

Oranges038

Blame Southgate.

Got some of the best attacking players in Europe and this cnut plays with 7 defensive palyers.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, lets start a hate campaign against a player who pretty much dragged us to the final and was in the running for player of the tournament because some United players missed peno's. Solid logic.

Maybe nobodies to blame... its a weird thought... maybe Italy were just better. Maybe its not the managers fault, nor the players, nor the dudes who missed peno's.. win as a team, lose as a team. Maybe there was no blatant mess up by anybody and the more experienced manager won?

Witchking

Hope Sancho comes to United to prove what he is all about. Just like the nonsense Ronaldo had to go though in England post 2006.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
An hour ago he was on his way to being knighted for his few tap-ins and the heroic dive to see off the mighty Denmark. :lol:

Irwin99

Harry Kane has carried England's attack ? Wow ok.
Had a hand in finishing off Germany and was a key player against Denmark dropping deep and involved in both goals. 4 goals each in the tournament.

Also got bested by two absolute legends of the game who bossed Lukaku and almost every other striker they faced too. No shame in that.

Nick7

He had a good tournament to be fair to him. The set up wasn’t ideal for him or Mount today. The wing backs worked for England but the set up nullified the two wingers. I don’t think you can single out Sterling for anything today.

Absolute coward for leaving it to a 19 year old with a handful of caps to take the 5th penalty. Should always be remembered for this.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sterling carried us to this final. He could only cover up Southgate's shit tactics for so long.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
An hour ago he was on his way to being knighted for his few tap-ins and the heroic dive to see off the mighty Denmark. :lol:
You're not right, but you're not wrong.....

The Hilton

Guy was a zombie, he was run into the ground, barely had a rest all tournament.

If he'd had a rest or two be might have had some energy left for the final.

cyberman

Did very little in 2 games but dive. Tried it twice today as well.
There was no need to be so reliant on Raheem with the talent on the bench

Castia

He carried you sorry lot to a final.

edit: Mount was mediocre today. Should have been benched.
Hes been crap all tournament tbh. Easily England’s worst player in this tournament for me yet seems to have gotten little to no criticism. Just bang average in every game.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Absolute coward for leaving it to a 19 year old with a handful of caps to take the 5th penalty. Should always be remembered for this.
Yah, all the goals he scored, made and dived for to put us in the final should be forgotten and the worst peno taker in England should be remembered for not putting himself forward to take a penalty. Deluded post at best. Saka could probably easily have said he didn't want to take one, like Raheem (if Raheem did indeed ask not to take one). I admire the kids balls for taking one and it could happen anyone.

Born2Lose

I thought he'd injured his spine the way he embarrassingly fell over when anyone went near him.

Nick7

Yah, all the goals he scored, made and dived for to put us in the final should be forgotten and the worst peno taker in England should be remembered for not putting himself forward to take a penalty. Deluded post at best. Saka could probably easily have said he didn't want to take one, like Raheem (if Raheem did indeed ask not to take one). I admire the kids balls for taking one and it could happen anyone.
I’ve read Sterling is a very poor penalty taker a couple of times now. Should he not have been taken off instead of Henderson if that’s the case?

padr81

Supports
Man City
I’ve read Sterling is a very poor penalty taker a couple of times now. Should he not have been taken off instead of Henderson if that’s the case?
Absolutely imho.. Im no manager but was it me, I'd have made the subs 5 minutes earlier and left Walker on and benched Sterling. Walker might not be great on the ball but he's got massive balls in big moments, Raheem hasn't the mentality to be a peno taker, its not a shot at him, he's just not the kinda person. When he's taken them at City every single one has been terrible. Sterling is a great player when not given time to think, you give him that time to think and he'll do the worst.

I wouldn't of fancied Sterling had he went 10th over Walker.

cyberman

Well feck me I thought you were Irish.

Nick7

Absolutely imho.. Im no manager but was it me, I'd have made the subs 5 minutes earlier and left Walker on and benched Sterling. Walker might not be great on the ball but he's got massive balls in big moments, Raheem hasn't the mentality to be a peno taker, its not a shot at him, he's just not the kinda person. When he's taken them at City every single one has been terrible. Sterling is a great player when not given time to think, you give him that time to think and he'll do the worst.
Yeah he comes across like that, strange then. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Henderson take a penalty but he strikes me as someone who would be reliable with them.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well feck me I thought you were Irish.
I've lived in Clare since I'm 6 and ironically my name is Paddy but I'm English (born in Manchester, hence the City connection) my moms a blue/English, my dad a red and Irish. Everyone thinks I'm Irish (and bluemoon thinks I'm a United fan).

SER19

You wouldn't expect a serial cheat to have the cajones to step up

SeanyC

What pisses me off is that he was looking for pens again tonight, ref was having none of it. Great player on his day just not tonight and neither was Mount for that matter

cyberman

I've lived in Clare since I'm 6 and ironically my name is Paddy but I'm English (born in Manchester, hence the City connection) my moms a blue/English, my dad a red and Irish. Everyone thinks I'm Irish (and bluemoon thinks I'm a United fan).
This reads like Di Caprios life in The Departed that made him perfect for undercover work if you've ever seen it!

arnie_ni

Grealish? The man thinks he's God. I'm very very surprised he didn't want to step up and score.

AshamanKingpin

Supports
Manchester City
He carried you sorry lot to a final.

edit: Mount was mediocre today. Should have been benched.
This. With the attacking talent on the bench it frustrates me that Mount continued to get the full 90. He was terrible today and the last game. Offered nothing and gave the ball away too cheaply. Like him as a player but not his finest games.