Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeGea

Something has happened to him over the last 18 months, he is just not the same. He needs to just play it simple, always has 1 dribble too many.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Reminds me of Saint-Maximin, can beat a guy with pace and skill but is inconsistent with the end product
I think Saint-maximin is getting a raw deal there. He's a much better dribbler than Rashford.

the chameleon

Really does look like he needs to dig deep to save his career and win fans back. I partially blame Ole, he played him to the ground without rotating.

Hopefully he picks himself back up. At this point he really does have to dig deep.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Last season the excuses that were being made for him were that he was being run into the ground, playing with injuries and whatnot. Some of those concerns were valid but this season there are no such excuses.

Something has to give soon. Either he has to improve his attitude to the game and become a consistent performer, or he needs a prolonged period on the bench.

It's been going on for far too long. He'll stink up the place for 80 minutes and then come up with a moment that makes people forget the other 80 minutes. That's not good enough. We need consistent players.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Looks much better every time he moves to the LW lane. He is able to take players on much better there as I've seen even in this match.

He simply isn't a striker that can play in partnership.

Jibbs

But he literally scored 20+ goals last season and has been one of our most important players in that time, that doesn't translate to anything in your first sentence.

I don't think people really factor in his achievements off the pitch when they assess the player, I know I certainly don't. I think what he's done off the pitch is outstanding and he's a 1st class role model, but how he performs for United is still my primary concern. The two things should not really overlap in the discussion.

On being greedy, I don't think he's worse than Greenwood or Ronaldo in this respect, in fact he's one of the few who gets his head up for an assist when running into the box like we saw in the Arsenal game for Ronaldo.

Again on your last sentence, he literally had his best goal scoring season last season with us, he's been on an upward trajectory in this regard, why should we be looking to move him on? I'm not sure why people have this extreme view on him, I mean compare him to Martial. Marcus carried us at times last season on his own whilst injured, meanwhile the likes of Martial you can't even expect to run and put an effort in. To me Marcus is one of the very last players I'd be looking to move on.
He scored 20 goals in entire season, not just in EPL. That with his overall contribution over the years is one of the main reasons why United is where they are right now.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Really does look like he needs to dig deep to save his career and win fans back. I partially blame Ole, he played him to the ground without rotating.

Hopefully he picks himself back up. At this point he really does have to dig deep.
has he lost the fans though? If he scored a screamer in the second half and played well, he’d be a caf-darling again I suspect.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Dare I say, I can/do defend him…

He’s playing poorly, but he’s not a bad player, just in bad form imo.

“World class” I agree is debatable, but he is a top player and has shown that in the past and I believe he will show it again (I may well be wrong though…)
He’s never been WC, he’s had flashes of such, but they were never sustained periods. So many take those flashes to mean he was WC which is a bit unfair on him.

He was the worst player on the pitch in the first half, trailed closely by Bruno. But we will somehow see him start the second.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Saint-maximin is getting a raw deal there. He's a much better dribbler than Rashford.
Agreed. I think Rashford is suffering from I think I am much better than I actually am syndrome.

the chameleon

Something has happened to him over the last 18 months, he is just not the same. He needs to just play it simple, always has 1 dribble too many.
Lack of proper coaching under + low on confidence having played to the ground by Ole + the hangover from missing the penalty and then suffering all that abuse. I can imagine the realisation that despite working hard but people still giving abuse can be a tough thing to fight.

Bebestation

Last season the excuses that were being made for him were that he was being run into the ground, playing with injuries and whatnot. Some of those concerns were valid but this season there are no such excuses.

Something has to give soon. Either he has to improve his attitude to the game and become a consistent performer, or he needs a prolonged period on the bench.

It's been going on for far too long. He'll stink up the place for 80 minutes and then come up with a moment that makes people forget the other 80 minutes. That's not good enough. We need consistent players.
This can be said about so many of our players. Especially our forwards It's not linked just to Rashford.

RUCK4444

He scored 20 goals in entire season, not just in EPL. That with his overall contribution over the years is one of the main reasons why United is where they are right now.
I know that. Who are you suggesting we sign to replace those goals?

Granted he’s woefully out of form currently.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s never been WC, he’s had flashes of such, but they were never sustained periods. So many take those flashes to mean he was WC which is a bit unfair on him.

He was the worst player on the pitch in the first half, trailed closely by Bruno. But we will somehow see him start the second.
agree, that’s why I said the world class comment is debatable, when he was in-form that statement was used for him (on this forum and other places), hence the debatable comment.

Idxomer

The thing is we all watched him last season, he wasn't good. He produced moments but not performances which is basically the whole problem in this football club. One moment even if it's a goal from a deflected shot in the 95th minute and everything is good and we don't need to talk about what happened before.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
True but Rashford can beat a man, its his end product that just isn't up to scratch and more than likely never will be.

I think that back injury is hampering him
When was the last time he beat a man? I honestly cannot remember.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
agree, that’s why I said the world class comment is debatable, when he was in-form that statement was used for him (on this forum and other places), hence the debatable comment.
My response was more for others than specifically for you. Sorry if it sounded otherwise!

AndySmith1990

He's been terrible for a long time. It's as if Dan James is back in the team; a kick and run merchant with zero end product.

Jibbs

I know that. Who are you suggesting we sign to replace those goals?

Granted he’s woefully out of form currently.
We already have Mason and Jadon. Sign somebody like them. Nkunku, Adeyemi, Doku are some really talented guys.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
His confidence is completely shot.

AndySmith1990

Lacking confidence seems to be the go to excuse for all our players when they're constantly poor. It begs the question; if they struggle so badly with confidence are they the right fit for a club the size of United?

Atheist

He needs to spend a long, long time on the bench or go and prove himself in the reserves.

Greck

decision making is so bad. Ensures he's actively worse when we try to play organised. If it's Ten Haag he might be a benchwarmer. Didn't help his development that we've been kick and run for the last 5 years.

sammyhol

To be fair… looked miles better when we moved him left for the last 15

Not suited to the role he started in.

he is quite poor with his back to goal and at quick interplay, regardless of form.

Need space in front of him to commit players

SAFMUTD

He's on terrible form, him and Bruno seem incapable of playing possession football. It's like they're in counterattack mode in every single ball.

What does Rangnick sees thay I'm not? I thought Sancho was playing way better and Rashford was terrible and still he subs Sancho. I'm lost here.

Shark

@NotShark
He's on terrible form, him and Bruno seem incapable of playing possession football. It's like they're in counterattack mode in every single ball.

What does Rangnick sees thay I'm not? I thought Sancho was playing way better and Rashford was terrible and still he subs Sancho. I'm lost here.
This is hardly just poor form at this point. Can anyone recall a good to great performance from the guy since football resumed from Covid. I simply can't.

Bebestation

To be fair… looked miles better when we moved him left for the last 15

Not suited to the role he started in.

he is quite poor with his back to goal and at quick interplay, regardless of form.

Need space in front of him to commit players
Exactly this. Looked better as an inverted winger trying to hold his width and take on the defenders than a central forward trying to hold the ball up and make passes.

Lee565

I can't currently see what warrants him over martial for a starting place as a striker, at least martial is good with his link up play

I think the complete opposite.

Players lacking in confidence still work hard out of possession, look engaged in the game, desperately try (maybe too much) to play themselves back into form.

Rashford doesn't. He just walks around out of possession, completely detatched from the game.

Hargreaves pointed out last week that when we had the freak Arsenal goal against us, just about every player protested it. Rashford didn't. He just walked back to the halfway line and didn't even turn around to see what has happening. Even after it was given, Ronaldo and Bruno were still having a go at the referee before we kicked off again, while Rashford was just standing around waiting.

They showed better footage in the Hargreaves analysis. He quite literally didn't turn around at any point throughout the protestations and VAR deliberation. Been the case for a long time and it's just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.