Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Get him get his form back ffs. He's a proven goal scorer and is owner of the LW in the team. Let him get the game time he needs to be sick again without the hyper criticism from the fans.

Foxbatt

No one should be guaranteed a place in the team. He should fight for his place just like all other players. You are as good as your last game. He has been too many chances and he has not done it. It is one thing to try and not be successful. He does not try any more. As soon as he loses the ball, he turns away and just walks back. Maybe he needs a break from football?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Get him get his form back ffs. He's a proven goal scorer and is owner of the LW in the team. Let him get the game time he needs to be sick again without the hyper criticism from the fans.
This makes absolutely zero sense.

He's been afforded more leeway than any of our attackers and he's not producing. When he was producing, it was random acts of good play but that's not how you win consistenly to win the whole league.

Just look at City today. They are scoring from everywhere, they play as a team. Rashford plays for himself, does not offer intensity or sufficient quality to compensate for that.

The only player who should be allowed so much leeway is Ronaldo because of his name and wages (our choice). Even then, I won't sacrifice the team for him.

Rashford is just a pebble on the long and (hopefully) endless road of Manchester United.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This makes absolutely zero sense.

He's been afforded more leeway than any of our attackers and he's not producing. When he was producing, it was random acts of good play but that's not how you win consistenly to win the whole league.

Just look at City today. They are scoring from everywhere, they play as a team. Rashford plays for himself, does not offer intensity or sufficient quality to compensate for that.

The only player who should be allowed so much leeway is Ronaldo because of his name and wages (our choice). Even then, I won't sacrifice the team for him.

Rashford is just a pebble on the long and (hopefully) endless road of Manchester United.
Damn people really think it's the players choice which makes Man City do what it does :rolleyes:

People consistently complain about our lack of coaching and good training then just want to ditch our players to get a new one who will most likely just end up the same.

If Pep had trained Rashford especially after Van Gaal instead of toxic crap like Mourinho then he would be a totally different player - even though I'm generally happy with how he has progressed and regard this as a loss of form where we are not playing to the strengths of players like Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood; who have struggled at different levels due to our change in our main attacking tactic this season. The same with the goalscoring version of Bruno.

KD6-3.7

He should primarily be an impact player off the bench but until we start seriously upgrading some of the attacking positions he’ll continue being a starter.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Needs to stop messing about and pass and move with the ball. I’ve never seen a player regress quite like he has. Hands up absolutely admire what he’s done off the pitch…. To say that he puts to shame all the people in power speaks volumes and shows what is wrong with bout society. Well done now stop dying your hair cause it looks crap and start passing and moving one touch two touch pass and move. Has it in him but he’s not a prospect anymore. Put elanga in for a few games should give him the kick he needs. Elanga should replace him for me.

wolvored

Where you said owner of LW is the problem. If he had genuine competition he would have to up his game. The fact he's picked no matter what isn't doing him any favours. A couple of games out of the matchday squad might make him look where he is lacking and make up for it.

EdinburghDevil

I'd imagine it will be Marcus and Greenwood that will rotate in and out alongside Ronaldo for the remainder of the season.

Rashford hasn't been at his best, but he missed pre-season and a lot of the England players seem to have suffered a hangover from the summer.

Mickson

I got annoyed by him when he didn't thank the fans after the Arsenal game, or was it Palace. Everyone else did it, either when they were subbed off, after the game, or walked off the pitch. He had three chances. Didn't lift a finger. I once thought about him as a captain, but after that.. no.. and also he hasn't developed much in recent years, and he is very lucky that he is playing instead of Greenwood who is a better footballer already.

lee82gx

He can be a regular if United aims for mediocrity or top 4 year in year out. He has regressed (Not sure is it because of fitness issues or otherwise) from a young rocket to a Welbeck. I see the same patterns re-appearing.

redcafe_reader

I got annoyed by him when he didn't thank the fans after the Arsenal game, or was it Palace. Everyone else did it, either when they were subbed off, after the game, or walked off the pitch. He had three chances. Didn't lift a finger. I once thought about him as a captain, but after that.. no.. and also he hasn't developed much in recent years, and he is very lucky that he is playing instead of Greenwood who is a better footballer already.
He would thank the fan or work a bit harder if not for the evil Ronaldo or if he was coached by Pep or if we have a better fanbase, or something

Scriblerus

Last season our best attacking moves often came from Rashford and Shaw combining down the left. He (they?) may be out of form at the moment but writing Rashford off is ridiculous.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he is not up to standard he should be dropped. Put Cavani up there with Ronaldo.
Exactly the point of having a squad isn't it, competition for places..?
If Rashford isn't delivering, let Greenwood, Cavani or someone else have a run.

No forward should be an automatic starter.

Noc-Z

ffs
Not as a starter, in my opinion. I've argued for years that he's not good enough and that he never will be because the things he isn't good at tend to be instinctive - you can obviously coach players but his footballing brain and decision-making are sub-par. I did hope that he could improve those areas, although I doubted it, but he hasn't. So here we are years down the line, those areas haven't improved at all and even worse - he seems to have regressed in other areas!

Eli Zee

Yes, he's good enough.
On current form is he deserving of it? No.

sancho and Greenwood are both in my opinion more deserving to start.

Maticmaker

Yes its worrying, first Martial burst onto the scene, flowered for a bit, then wilted and now looks like he will need to be replanted elsewhere.
Now Rashford is looking like he may be following the same trajectory, not exactly wilting but showing ominous signs of being washed out, lacking in spirit, only occasional signs of his old self.
However what is even more worrying is the tell 'tale signs' creeping into Greenwood's play, he keeps trying the same movements on the edge of the box, defenders know what he's going to do, perhaps even before he does?

Martial's party piece involved him running at the defence, at speed, with the ball at his feet, usually on an angle, able to go left or right!
Rashfords best bit (for me anyway) was his speed on the half turn, he could leave defenders for dead in less than five strides!
Greenwoods great ability is to go either way, work himself across the edge of the box and let fly with either foot!

The trouble is now all defenders know whats coming, they can work Martial out of a game in twenty minutes, Rashford is also getting sideline by opposition defences earlier and earlier in games. My worry is that Greenwood will find himself. still with only one trick, and the defenders will, if they haven't already soon find a way to play him. All three need to learn from CR and Cavani and do it fast!

Hoof the ball

Marcus is a curious one. He's now 24. (Damn!)

96 goals in 296 career games. Works out to around one goal in three games. I honestly thought his goals per game average was higher than that.

The most frustrating aspect, as it always has been, is his decision making in key areas. Match threads read the same; why did he run into a crowd. why didn't he square it? how did he not see the open man? why did he shoot from there?

We all had in mind a specific trajectory for him. The early promise culminating in the ironing out of those inconsistencies which marred his game. Now, it's fair to say that injures have hampered him on a sharpness level, but in terms of the mental side, we've yet to see that blooming development. Perhaps the sports psychologist is what will facilitate that change? Who knows. It worked for Vinicius (thus far), although it should be noted that Vinicius is ironing out his decision making issues at a much younger age.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

96 goals in 296 career games. Works out to around one goal in three games. I honestly thought his goals per game average was higher than that.

The most frustrating aspect, as it always has been, is his decision making in key areas. Match threads read the same; why did he run into a crowd. why didn't he square it? how did he not see the open man? why did he shoot from there?

We all had in mind a specific trajectory for him. The early promise culminating in the ironing out of those inconsistencies which marred his game. Now, it's fair to say that injures have hampered him on a sharpness level, but in terms of the mental side, we've yet to see that blooming development. Perhaps the sports psychologist is what will facilitate that change? Who knows. It worked for Vinicius (thus far), although it should be noted that Vinicius is ironing out his decision making issues at a much younger age.
Did Vinicius go to a sports psychologist ?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Jesus. Of course he’s good enough. He’s a massive, massive talent who’s had a fair amount of injury woe. Give the guy a break. Let him play for a few months and get his form and confidence back. He, Sancho and Greenwood should be our front three (when we play three). All can rotate and play anywhere along the front line. Give him some time working under a top coach for a change.

stw2022

Good post. I think sometimes it's hard to quantify how he hasn't turned into the footballer his trajectory at 19 suggested he might but he just...hasn't. It's why I get frustrated at people who throw stats around to prove that there's nothing wrong. You only need to look at the way he plays, his decision making, his use of the ball, his runs into dead ends, his in ability to anticipate, lack of awareness, awful timing, lack of work rate.....and I don't care how many times someone quotes "LOL - 4 assists in 12 games better than 74% of players 5ft' 7 who were born in the last quarter of the year"....to see that he isn't a top player. There's so much fundamentally wrong or missing from his game to make me seriously doubt he ever will be.

I think at the level we hope to be (e.g challenging for titles) there'd be something seriously amiss if he was starting week in week out. And I don't think that's a knock but just reality. 24 isn't old and he can still develop but he's played enough games at the top level for some of these flaws in his game to either not be there any more or to be well on the way to being eradicated. But that hasn't happened. If anything the deficiencies in his game have become more pronounced. He isn't a better player than he was two or three years ago. There's a group who thinks that's a concern and a group who pretends it isn't.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Jesus. Of course he’s good enough. He’s a massive, massive talent who’s had a fair amount of injury woe. Give the guy a break. Let him play for a few months and get his form and confidence back. He, Sancho and Greenwood should be our front three (when we play three). All can rotate and play anywhere along the front line. Give him some time working under a top coach for a change.
It's hilarious that there are few who come up with nonsense like "he lacks basics" "fundamentally wrong" bs. Player who lacks basics won't be playing in PL for so many years, few try to sound too clever, end up looking like a fool.

Yeah Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood might end up as attacking trio at times, hopefully they all hit top form.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
It's hilarious that there are few who come up with nonsense like "he lacks basics" "fundamentally wrong" bs. Player who lacks basics won't be playing in PL for so many years, few try to sound too clever, end up looking like a fool.

Yeah Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood might end up as attacking trio at times, hopefully they all hit top form.
It’s just that the masses have to have someone to direct their vitriol at. At all times. If Rashford starts hitting form, it’ll be someone else. We seem to especially love attacking home grown talents.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It’s just that the masses have to have someone to direct their vitriol at. At all times. If Rashford starts hitting form, it’ll be someone else. We seem to especially love attacking home grown talents.
Yeah, Rashford is having poor season, don't think anyone argues against that and at this point he doesn't deserve to start as we have good attackers. But to come up with "He was never good enough" "he was always shit" is just hilarious.

Swiss_Red89

I wasn't able to watch the Norwich game so just watched the 90 in 20 game reply on manutd.com.

And I swear he looked as he had a good game in there :lol: Certainly didn't match with all the negative comments in here. I believe all of you that he was bad but maybe there was a bit of overreaction as well.

Foxbatt

You missed Why is he always offside?

Devil’s Trident

He is not a massive massive talent. The likes of Mbappe are and the guy is more iwobi than Mbappe. Never stood out at youth level and Been inconsistent all his career till date bar some purple patches. Was always overrated like hell. Never great at dribbling, Not great technically, never had great football IQ. Never had the raw footballing tools to command such reputation like he did/does. What he had was just abit of everything here and there glued by his explosiveness and desire. He had potential to be a very good player, yes but he is 24 already not a teenager anymore. He has like what 1-2 years before hitting his prime? And now he looks disinterested and sulky and lazy more than any other player. Even training and playing with his idol, role model and ultimate pro like Ronaldo doesn’t lit a fire under him then what do you expect to happen and how long utd should wait for him? Till he is 26 ? 28 ? I would give him this season to prove himself again max and after that it should be Danke and Auf wiedersehen. Tired of waiting for players for years to come good academy lad or not. Good riddance when they aren’t even bothered to atleast put some effort on the pitch.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
He is not a massive massive talent. The likes of Mbappe are and the guy is more iwobi than Mbappe. Never stood out at youth level and Been inconsistent all his career till date bar some purple patches. Was always overrated like hell. Never great at dribbling, Not great technically, never had great football IQ. Never had the raw footballing tools to command such reputation like he did/does. What he had was just abit of everything here and there glued by his explosiveness and desire. He had potential to be a very good player, yes but he is 24 already not a teenager anymore. He has like what 1-2 years before hitting his prime? And now he looks disinterested and sulky and lazy more than any other player. Even training and playing with his idol, role model and ultimate pro like Ronaldo doesn’t lit a fire under him then what do you expect to happen and how long utd should wait for him? Till he is 26 ? 28 ? I would give him this season to prove himself again max and after that it should be Danke and Auf wiedersehen. Tired of waiting for players for years to come good academy lad or not. Good riddance when they aren’t even bothered to atleast put some effort on the pitch.
Awful, awful post.

Udmaster

Awful, awful post.
He is right
Rashford was never a massive talent.
For us to regain our competitive ability against clubs like bayern,madrid etc, we need to demand nothing but top notch excellence from both the players and the management.
Rashford can never be a regular in real madrid, bayern or Juventus.
Lets keep that to record

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He is one of my favorite players for sure. The frustrating thing is that he has the abilities to do things others just can't. I really hope he develops his gameplay and decision make, with his attributes he should be one of the world's best players.

AndySmith1990

I wish the newbies got dislikes too to take their likes down if they deserve it
His post doesn't deserve a dislike just because you have a different opinion. It's a bit strong but generally I can't disagree too much with some of what he says. Rashford has always been a one trick pony; he's a kick and run merchant who is poor at dribbling, and he hasn't progressed at all since he came into the first team. If anything he's getting worse. What he did used to have is determination, pace, decent finishing. The determination looks to have vanished.

I don't think he's sulking or should be sold at the end of this season, but clearly something isn't right with him.

Bebestation

His post doesn't deserve a dislike just because you have a different opinion. It's a bit strong but generally I can't disagree too much with some of what he says. Rashford has always been a one trick pony; he's a kick and run merchant who is poor at dribbling, and he hasn't progressed at all since he came into the first team. If anything he's getting worse. What he did used to have is determination, pace, decent finishing. The determination looks to have vanished.

I don't think he's sulking or should be sold at the end of this season, but clearly something isn't right with him.
Utter rubbish again.

His heading just before he got injured was improving.

The guys was in immense form just before his injury, scoring goal after goal after goal.

The thing is you have absolutely no understanding towards medicine but I do because I studied it and I studied musculoskeletal science so I know how long it can take for a person (not a player) to find their walking rhythm again after a back injury.

And then he has hardly even got to play in his best position - when he has, he has scored goals straight off the subs bench and looks better when getting moved from LS to LW.

If Rashford was given the time to find his running rhythm again, playing in his best position, playing with a CF that aims to play INTO the inverted forwards like Greenwood, Amad, Rashford and even Elanga all need - the likelihood of him finding form is much much bigger.

Right now Ronaldo is our main attacking threat - playing in a position that Benzema used to play at and play INTO Ronaldo at LW. If you cant see why Rashford has struggled to play as an inverted forward then that's I guess your viewpoint or opinion too.

Greenwood was in immense form as a striker - what happened when he went back to RW trying to play in to Ronaldo ? Not much so we used Sancho, But then Greenwood comes back and plays centrally whilst Ronaldo is rested - what happens? He scores a great goal.

Rashford looks much better as a LW and looks off when playing as a striker - especially one in partnership with Ronaldo. Ronaldo needs a striker partnership with Cavani - again proof shown this season; because what Benzema, Cavani, Dybala can do when playing centrally to help Ronaldo out; Rashford cannot do.

That doesn't make Rashford shit, especially after he needs time in his best position to find his walking rhythm and form after a back injury.

redcafe_reader

Utter rubbish again.

His heading just before he got injured was improving.

The guys was in immense form just before his injury, scoring goal after goal after goal.

The thing is you have absolutely no understanding towards medicine but I do because I studied it and I studied musculoskeletal science so I know how long it can take for a person (not a player) to find their walking rhythm again after a back injury.

And then he has hardly even got to play in his best position - when he has, he has scored goals straight off the subs bench and looks better when getting moved from LS to LW.

If Rashford was given the time to find his running rhythm again, playing in his best position, playing with a CF that aims to play INTO the inverted forwards like Greenwood, Amad, Rashford and even Elanga all need - the likelihood of him finding form is much much bigger.

Right now Ronaldo is our main attacking threat - playing in a position that Benzema used to play at and play INTO Ronaldo at LW. If you cant see why Rashford has struggled to play as an inverted forward then that's I guess your viewpoint or opinion too.

Greenwood was in immense form as a striker - what happened when he went back to RW trying to play in to Ronaldo ? Not much so we used Sancho, But then Greenwood comes back and plays centrally whilst Ronaldo is rested - what happens? He scores a great goal.

Rashford looks much better as a LW and looks off when playing as a striker - especially one in partnership with Ronaldo. Ronaldo needs a striker partnership with Cavani - again proof shown this season; because what Benzema, Cavani, Dybala can do when playing centrally to help Ronaldo out; Rashford cannot do.

That doesn't make Rashford shit, especially after he needs time in his best position to find his walking rhythm and form after a back injury.
Terrible post with full of inaccurate fact.

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers
So glad you wasted your post count on that :D
Reply to me one more time please!
Let me assist. This is a forum where people are supposed to exchange ideas and views. Yours just happen to suck!

Bebestation

Terrible post with full of inaccurate fact.
Enjoy reading these facts if you can read.

For some athletes it can be a good idea to adjust their sporting technique. We know that the injury can occur as a result of repetitive and monotonous loading. An adjustment in technique can alter the load, thereby decreasing the risk of injury. Young athletes are particularly receptive to changing their technique, but it usually becomes more difficult with age.
https://fittoplay.org/body-parts/back/low-back-stress-fracture/

'You can't really do much, you have to just rest and let it heal. But it is a difficult one because it always stays a little bit like a weak spot. Even now, it is not that I'm in pain or something, but it's a sensitive area. So you have to be really careful with that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...rcus-Rashford-FOUR-months-similar-injury.html

Status
Not open for further replies.