Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Bit of an odd comment. If Rashford and Elanga were to start scoring regularly then we probably wouldn’t see much of Antony. The only difference is that, of the 4 players mentioned, Rashford is the only one who has regularly scored and assisted for Manchester United. He has to prove that he can regain that form. The others (particularly Sancho) need to prove that they have it in them to reach that level at all.
I walked out of games last season when Rashford and others just gave up.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I still think we'll see a Rashford revival this season. Wouldn't be suprised if he ends up our top scorer. Got all the tools in his locker for Ten Hag to work with.

There does seem to be a problem with mentaility/effort but thats been across the squad for a couple seasons now. Get a few wins on the bounce and we'll start seeing him play with more freedom (I hope)
Really? What tools do you think will make him successful under Ten Hag?
Interesting because I think he will struggle massively.

stw2022

He isn't playing like someone who thinks he has anything to prove. He clearly is aware of his critics as he replies in Instagram photos of him looking sweaty and silly PR leaks where he's spending 26 hours a day in training and asking Ronaldo how big his muscles were when he was a young man back in the 1960s. But he never plays like someone determined to shove it up the naysayers arses

That's something I don't get. Even if you're still not very good you'd come out and give it the full bollocks, wouldn't you? He never seems to. Outside of social media and planted stories he responds to criticism with the same low-energy anonymous performances people criticise him for in the first place

Ema_datsi

:rolleyes: saw this on twitter.
“Erling Haaland has scored as many Premier League goals this month, as Rashford has scored since Jan 2021”

Pity Rashford isn’t as good at football as his PR team are at advertising. A real football club would have already sold him by now.

Pronewbie

Peep
“Erling Haaland has scored as many Premier League goals this month, as Rashford has scored since Jan 2021”

Pity Rashford isn’t as good at football as his PR team are at advertising. A real football club would have already sold him by now.
Ayy I was still backing him last year to come good but I feel like anyone still backing him to become a very good attacker for us need to wake up.

I just hope he gives us 20 goals/assists this season.

In Rainbows

The thing I really don't understand about all this is how people are chomping at the bit to get Martial back after criticising Rashford.

18/19 - Martial (12 goals & 3 assists) - Rashford (13 goals & 11 assists)
19/20 - Martial (23 goals & 12 assists) - Rashford (22 goals & 12 assists)
20/21 - Martial (7 goals & 9 assists) - Rashford (21 goals & 15 assists)
21/22 - Martial (2 goals & 1 assist) - Rashford (5 goals & 2 assists)

Look at Martial's output for the last two seasons (9 goals and 10 assists) is terrible. He has also been incredibly lazy - he was even booed and jeered by Sevilla supporters whilst he was on loan. You know, I don't think I have ever heard a loanee get booed before - you have to be especially bad to do so. It is just very weird that people show blatant bias.

To be honest, looking at that, you can actually consider last season a bit of a blip for Rashford - it was very poor, but he had 43 goals and 27 assists combined in the two seasons prior. Honestly, I also think Ten Hag likes him and that he does work hard. There is no way he would have played every minute of every game so far if those two were not true, especially the latter one.
It's very easy to see why fans are having Martial as a starter when fit compared to Rashford. Martial's technical ability is vastly superior to Rashford's. Therefore, when Rashford doesn't score goals, he doesn't have much to offer apart from possibly making a run in behind the defense on a counter attack. Martial when he's not scoring goals, still has the ability to combine with others as he showed against Liverpool.

That is entirely the reasoning. People aren't buying into Martial being some great player. People are realizing we are short of options, and based on how Ten Hag wants us to play and going off of the very limited time under Ten Hag (preseason+liverpool), are choosing Martial over Rashford.

It's the same with Sancho vs Rashford on the left. Rashford's technical ability does not allow us to dominate possession.

The floor of Rashford is incredibly low. The floor of Sancho and Martial is higher than Rashford's. The one thing Rashford used to provide was workrate. That is no longer a guarantee, and is similar to that of Sancho and Martial under Ten Hag. Because it is no longer a guarantee, it's hard to give Rashford the extra tool (workrate) to give him the edge over Sancho and Martial.

Waynne

Would like to believe he could be useful coming off the bench on either wing but even then I don't expect much from him.

His place is under serious threat if he doesn't improve this season.

colombianmancunian

Just until Antony settles down. After that, he will be bench option to Sancho, which is good, the competition between those two will make them shine.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think this will be a make or break season for Rashy. On one hand he's got a proper manager and coach something he lacked especially during the Cardiff's reign. ETH had also made sure that he had proper cover in every role which in turn will allow Rashford to recover from any injuries. On the other hand its pretty evident that ETH wants options and he's not afraid from taking tough decisions. The fact that he had placed the world's most iconic player in the past decade AND our captain on the bench is clear testament to that.

I don't share the pessimism most of posters share. Sure we've got competition but its also true that every forward we've got has something to prove. Antony had never played in a top league before, Martial had been shit for a longer period then Rashy had, Ronaldo is 37 year old and has yet to learn the words team play and work rate while Sancho is great but can be inconsistent. No one can be considered a regular starter at this point however Rashy has a half decent chance of claiming the place for his own. Its all a matter of him performing.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Ayy I was still backing him last year to come good but I feel like anyone still backing him to become a very good attacker for us need to wake up.

I just hope he gives us 20 goals/assists this season.
:confused: Wake up?

saik

You can say the same of our every attacker apart from Ronaldo. Bruno, Sancho and Elanga have been similarly poor as well. Only difference is they look like they give a shit. Rashford doesn't. He was fired up for the Liverpool game but was back to his usual lazy self against Southampton.

There is no place for him as a starter anymore after the arrival of Antony. Martial is more or less guaranteed to start as a striker when fit and Antony and Sancho will be our first choice wingers. Just hope for his and ours sake as well he leaves. People are clinging onto blind hope that he will come good again. Even in a new season under a new manager with a full uninteruppted preseason behind him, he has still managed to be the same as last season. He just isn't very good these days.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
saw this on twitter.

I'm going to try and write this carefully because it could easily offend, but this is the way I see it: as someone else said, Marcus Rashford is a marmite player and there are a number of reasons for this, but mainly it is because his famousness transcends his footballing ability.

A nephew of mine is just getting into football and his family are longtime Man United supporters..... During a game on TV recently (and a family visit) he asked me if Rashford was playing, I said he was, he told me Rashford was his favourite player, I didn't say anything. He watched the game for like 1 minute, spotted Rashford and then he was off to play Mario Football on his Nintendo. So why does he think Rashford is so great? Well in his school are tons of books with Rashford's name on (he doesn't write them alone, but co-authors with someone else, and the authors name is in a much smaller font) but Primary teachers are desperate to get kids reading and especially lads, so they just order boxes and boxes of them. He isn't quite David Walliams, but he is doing Ok. Rashford is not so much a footballer now, he's just got incredibly famous. This is the main reason why Man United won't initiate a sale - a bit like with Ronaldo - he is a valuable asset to the business way beyond what he does on the pitch. You have to admire the guy and indeed his support network (family/agents) who have monetised the Rashford 'brand' so successfully. One of his recent books is called: 'You are a Champion: How to be the Best You Can Be' and c'mon that is taking the mickey. He often doesn't try 100% in his job and that has got to be Chapter One, Page One of any self-help/advice guide and when United were last Champions, he will have been 15 years old.

Nikelesh Reddy

Completely depends on his form.If he plays like he did against Liverpool,then there’s no reason why he can’t be a regular starter.But if he plays like he did against brighton and Brentford,then he will find it difficult to get back into the team…

Cecc

He can't be regular starter because he is good only on counter-attacking setup. I doubt this is the way ETH wants his team to play.
Rashford doesn't have the technical abilities to start in a team trying to dominate possession and put opposition in their half. He needs a lot of space.

clarkydaz

I'm going to try and write this carefully because it could easily offend, but this is the way I see it: as someone else said, Marcus Rashford is a marmite player and there are a number of reasons for this, but mainly it is because his famousness transcends his footballing ability.

A nephew of mine is just getting into football and his family are longtime Man United supporters..... During a game on TV recently (and a family visit) he asked me if Rashford was playing, I said he was, he told me Rashford was his favourite player, I didn't say anything. He watched the game for like 1 minute, spotted Rashford and then he was off to play Mario Football on his Nintendo. So why does he think Rashford is so great? Well in his school are tons of books with Rashford's name on (he doesn't write them alone, but co-authors with someone else, and the authors name is in a much smaller font) but Primary teachers are desperate to get kids reading and especially lads, so they just order boxes and boxes of them. He isn't quite David Walliams, but he is doing Ok. Rashford is not so much a footballer now, he's just got incredibly famous. This is the main reason why Man United won't initiate a sale - a bit like with Ronaldo - he is a valuable asset to the business way beyond what he does on the pitch. You have to admire the guy and indeed his support network (family/agents) who have monetised the Rashford 'brand' so successfully. One of his recent books is called: 'You are a Champion: How to be the Best You Can Be' and c'mon that is taking the mickey. He often doesn't try 100% in his job and that has got to be Chapter One, Page One of any self-help/advice guide and when United were last Champions, he will have been 15 years old.
interesting that oppo fans can even see it now

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think he’s gotten too big, lost some speed which was his most important asset. What’s all that muscle for? Can’t help his endurance either to be so bulky.

Strootman's Finger

Spot on, the only element you missed is how much Rashford's image is tied up in United. He would be about as eager to end the relationship as United would be. So we are stuck with him as much as most don't want that and as much as that benefits no one but Rashford at this point.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
A 50 year old Ronaldo with only one leg would still be a better option as our main striker.

Banana Republic

Apart from a few moments and the assist for the goal, he was awful for 80% of tonight’s match.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Spot on, the only element you missed is how much Rashford's image is tied up in United. He would be about as eager to end the relationship as United would be. So we are stuck with him as much as most don't want that and as much as that benefits no one but Rashford at this point.
Yes, I hadn't thought of it like that. He wouldn't sell so many books if he was at Southampton or Everton or Wolves or some other mid-table type team.

I actually thought he did Ok tonight, but I watched the match whilst reading the red cafe and he was getting loads of negative comments in the match day thread. Perhaps too many, he got an assist and it was a good touch.

One person wrote something odd though - about a rumour he had it in his contract to play a certain amount of minutes, that can't be true can it?

I have heard of players (Dele Ali for example) where an amount of money is agreed then after 20 games more money is owed, but that can't be the case with Rashford as he isn't on loan, he has come up through the ranks. Anyway - no club would put that in a contract would they? Not even for someone like Ronaldo, it would be hampering the managers decision making too much.

Born2Lose

I doubt even SAF could win a PL with Rashford as a regular starter.

Wouldn't even get on the bench at Liverpool or City.

Last edited:

Based Adnan

The way he's playing it's only a matter of time before ETH realizes what Ralf did and benches him permanently

Lecland07

What happened to 20/21 Rashford?

Was the back injury really that bad?
Needed keyhole surgery on the shoulder injury - muscle tear. Played through the pain for 9 months.

He also had a double-stress fracture in his back in the same year he sustained that injury. Wouldn't be surprised if these have severely hampered him. Playing through an injury for nine months doesn't sound like a good idea, whatsoever.

Wouldn't be surprised if the back injuries affected his ability to turn quickly.

Last edited:

eire-red

He's a wide left forward, and should only play there. It's the only position he's effective from. Once CR and Martial are 100% he'll likely be from the left or benched. But I think he's a good option in that position against certain opposition.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Needed keyhole surgery on the shoulder injury - muscle tear. Played through the pain for 9 months.

He also had a double-stress fracture in his back in the same year he sustained that injury. Wouldn't be surprised if these have severely hampered him. Playing through an injury for nine months doesn't like a good idea, whatsoever.

Wouldn't be surprised if the back injuries affected his ability to turn quickly.
Definitely that bad then. Once your back is fecked you're pretty much done for, supposed we should be amazed he's come back from it.

Absolutely shouldn't have let him play through the pain.

Banana Republic

If we want to be challenging for the top spot and CL football, we can’t afford to have a player like this in the squad, even to just to come off the bench.
No doubt ETH will have wanted to see what Rashford offered and has afforded him the opportunity to work up into some form, but I wonder how long it’ll be before he decides there’s no place for him in the long term?

4evareddevil

I doubt even SAF could win a PL with Rashford as a regular starter.

Wouldn't even get on the bench at Liverpool or City.
sadly true. But SAF would have moved on from Rashford by now. He just not your 30 goals/season CF who’s going to make sure you score enough to finish in the CL places, whilst also giving you a shot at winning a trophy or 2. He not great in the air, not a huge physical specimen that can hold up the ball or overpower an opposition 6ft 2 defender and is very right footed, which makes you predictable, when modern strikers need to be practically ambidextrous. He’s reasonably fast, I’ll give him that, can take a penalty and even the occasional free kick, but that’s about it. And that’s just no enough for what we need

NoPace

He's a wide left forward, and should only play there. It's the only position he's effective from. Once CR and Martial are 100% he'll likely be from the left or benched. But I think he's a good option in that position against certain opposition.
Does now look like his best role would be coming on for Sancho with 20 minutes to go to be a threat on the counter. Martial and Ronaldo fight for the 9 shirt (again, probably better off with Martial for an hour or so and Cristiano for 30 as his legs have gone but he can still run a bit for 20-30), then Antony playing probably virtually every minute on the right with Bruno as his backup as Eriksen can play as a 10 and one of VDB, Fred or McTominay filling in centrally.

TheHeya

This guy makes the simple things look hard. He needs to concentrate on getting the simple things right. Stop trying to over complicate things. Prime example being the chance he had vs Liverpool where he did the hard bit by beating his men and then got into a great position only to try and knuckleball it and blasts it over.

jameyzane

Garnacho to take over his place soon. Another overrated merchant hyped in the media to oblivion.

Ema_datsi

Give that his brand and PR far far exceed his footballing talent, and the shitty Glazers don’t want to sell him, the club should just make him a full-time club ambassador and part-time benchwarmer. He can be on-hand for mall openings, charity bake-offs, community events, cup noodle advertisements, and make the occasional appearance in League Cup matches when we face village pub teams (mainly so our marketing dept can get all the goal celebration pictures for future advertising).

Last edited:

Valencia Shin Crosses

Definitely that bad then. Once your back is fecked you're pretty much done for, supposed we should be amazed he's come back from it.

Absolutely shouldn't have let him play through the pain.
Meh yeah the shoulder thing was stupid, but that’s a non issue. The back on the other hand basically cratered his potential as a player from possibly a league leading inverted winger to basically a poor man’s Timo Werner with better PR. He lost the burst that allowed him to get away with being average technically. Go back and watch pre injury Rashford and how he moves compared to now. He’s still got good pace in a long sprint but he doesn’t have the burst and sure as shite doesn’t have the technical ability to beat defenders consistently now.

Just compare how he looks running on the ball now to this video. Ignore the goals and just take note of the second half of it when he’s beating people for fun. He doesn’t have that now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.