Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

On a positive note, throwing on Rashford's quick legs the last 30 minutes will be a nightmare for tired defenders.

EtH

On a positive note, throwing on Rashford's quick legs the last 30 minutes will be a nightmare for tired defenders.
Only when they’re chasing the game. Which is why he’s scored so many meaningless goals over the years. He’s useless when we actually need a goal and the opposition is sitting deep. So not exactly much use at all really. As a super sub.

stw2022

It's incredible really that at the age of 24 we're already taking about using him like a 34 year old veteran. Picking his games, playing against opponents that suit his playing style.

He fades in matches like a 34 year old might. It's possibly a sign his Instagram fitness displays are purely performative

Jacob

Only when they’re chasing the game. Which is why he’s scored so many meaningless goals over the years. He’s useless when we actually need a goal and the opposition is sitting deep. So not exactly much use at all really. As a super sub.
Fair enough. He's not the one to beat a man from stand-still.

Adamsk7

I still maintain there’s something wrong with him physically (and perhaps mentally). For all the talk of his explosive pace, he isn’t as fast these days. When I watch him run it looks more awkward than it was pre back injury.

Perhaps it’s just a mental block but whatever it is, it’s a staggering decline. I know some like to act like he wasn’t great ever but the Rashford of 2 yrs ago to me was a player on the cusp of breaking out in to an elite forward - the current one will be lucky to be a squad player

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I still maintain there’s something wrong with him physically (and perhaps mentally). For all the talk of his explosive pace, he isn’t as fast these days. When I watch him run it looks more awkward than it was pre back injury.

Perhaps it’s just a mental block but whatever it is, it’s a staggering decline. I know some like to act like he wasn’t great ever but the Rashford of 2 yrs ago to me was a player on the cusp of breaking out in to an elite forward - the current one will be lucky to be a squad player
It’s his injury.

RVP talked about how serious this injury can be - if it effected a technical prince like RVP imagine how much it effects a less technical player in Rashford.

Shame really as I miss his old form.

I do find the hate he gets post injury weird but not surprising.

Alan Partridge

I don’t think blaming injuries or form holds any water anymore. He consistently makes poor decisions and wastes possession. He is consistently lazy. He is consistently selfish in that he doesn’t pass when he should and also seldom makes himself available when a teammate is under pressure in possession.

I feel like his footballing intelligence and attitude are beyond reparation.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

I've seen that being mentioned a few times, but I see absolutely no issue with his speed. He's rapid. I think it's more defenders who position themselves close and avoid going for sprint duel. He's not that threatening in tight spaces. Also, we've done very poor job in the last two seasons in isolating the fullback against Rashford - I expect us to improve massively in that aspect of the game under ETH and with those midfield changes.

He's not failing to beat players because of being too slow that's for sure.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

I don’t think blaming injuries or form holds any water anymore. He consistently makes poor decisions and wastes possession. He is consistently lazy. He is consistently selfish in that he doesn’t pass when he should and also seldom makes himself available when a teammate is under pressure in possession.

I feel like his footballing intelligence and attitude are beyond reparation.
simply ask how he can train all week at high level, but on matchday fans say he has issues. Even Ralf said he trains very well and had no injury issues

stw2022

Exactly. It’s an excuse bordering on the absurd.
The irony is even if we take that excuse at face value the ones insisting we're all clueless for thinking he isn't very good are defending him by insisting he's either permanently crocked or has the recovery time of a 95 year old with osteoporosis.

Fine, take that excuse and let's pretend it's true. It's even more reason to think we need to get rid of him from the first team in order to progress

jem

If not for the fact Martial is always injured, he's also not particularly a great out and out striker and certainly isn't clinical enough to be regarded as elite, they both have similar stats in that regard goals and assist wise in the prem (where I'd argue Rashford played more time out wide than Martial). I just feel that Rashford has a higher ceiling potential wise to score goals consistently but truthfully i think it may be because i have these rose tinted glasses i wear when i watch him as nobody else seems to have the level of faith i have in his ability to become a first team united player.
I have a modicum of belief in his ability of the left, but zero in his ability as a striker through the middle.

m1tch

If he ends up being our back up to Martial then he'll get a lot of games as a starter.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yep I’ve said the same for the past year. Rashford supporters say he just needs a good manager to trust him, or just needs to find his form or love of football again. But it’s obvious if you compare him on the ball now to what he was in 2019 that it’s not just a player that’s wayward in front of goal or something that is form related. He’s clearly lost the burst he had that used to enable him to beat defenders on the ball, and he isn’t good enough technically like a Sancho to make up for it. Instead he’s basically another version of Timo Werner these days. Can’t play as a striker, but can be useful as an inside forward making those runs beyond a high line.

Still a useful player, but never a nailed on starter for a quality side much less the “potential star“ that many still think he can be.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Atleast my blood pressure won't spike seeing rashford on the pitch.

bye bye ashford, nice knowing you, now con psg to offer 50m+ bid and i'll wave you goodbye myself.

Bestietom

Nah he doesn't fit into the passing game, but he is OK to run onto a ball and in a one on one with the keeper.

Kill3r7

It depends on his form. No one should be guaranteed a starting spot. So they all have to compete.

I hope he finds his form and adds a few much needed goals/threat to the attack.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Maybe, but presuming we don't get a striker, between Ronaldo, Martial and Rashford I still feel the latter has still something to offer.
I'd take a fit martial over a fit rashford anyday.

Rashford is not a striker, he cant cut it. Put him on the wings and give him a full back to run at and he'd be of some use.

I'd rather play elanga as a striker than rashford.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Rashford needs a goal scoring partner. When he was young, he played without fear as there was no burden on him. At 24, he is feeling the pressure on being the main man therefore his performance has deteriorated in the last 2 years. If Martial comes back scoring, you will see a different Rashford. I think he needs to see a doctor. Maybe once Sancho and Antony start creating and scoring then we may see Rasford reborn.

Hughes35

Not good enough in my opinion. I think he's great in games where we play on the break as he can stretch a defence that's playing a high line.

He's just not capable of playing in a team that wants to dominate possession though.

Bestietom

Rashford needs a goal scoring partner. When he was young, he played without fear as there was no burden on him. At 24, he is feeling the pressure on being the main man therefore his performance has deteriorated in the last 2 years. If Martial comes back scoring, you will see a different Rashford. I think he needs to see a doctor. Maybe once Sancho and Antony start creating and scoring then we may see Rasford reborn.
If Antony and Sancho start scoring regularly, we won't see Rashford that often.

Remember the geese

Feels like this is the first time for a while that Rashford isn't a guaranteed first choice starter. I know that Elanga got some games ahead of him last season, but signing a forward for £80m in conjunction with a £72m purchase the year before stamps it home a bit.

Drizzle

Atleast my blood pressure won't spike seeing rashford on the pitch.

bye bye ashford, nice knowing you, now con psg to offer 50m+ bid and i'll wave you goodbye myself.
He'll be getting at least 30 starts this season I think so may be worth getting on the meds now.

We could be playing 60 games, plus World Cup in the middle of it all. Add to that we're light on numbers up front and Martial is made of paper, so he'll still be getting plenty of game time.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd take a fit martial over a fit rashford anyday.

Rashford is not a striker, he cant cut it. Put him on the wings and give him a full back to run at and he'd be of some use.

I'd rather play elanga as a striker than rashford.
I have a different opinion.
Rashford can play as a LW or a ST and he is able to press more effectively than Martial and Ronaldo, who are both lazy without the ball. He won't get 30 goals per season but he could be useful as a ST.

Doracle

If Antony and Sancho start scoring regularly, we won't see Rashford that often.
Bit of an odd comment. If Rashford and Elanga were to start scoring regularly then we probably wouldn’t see much of Antony. The only difference is that, of the 4 players mentioned, Rashford is the only one who has regularly scored and assisted for Manchester United. He has to prove that he can regain that form. The others (particularly Sancho) need to prove that they have it in them to reach that level at all.

Hammondo

Bit of an odd comment. If Rashford and Elanga were to start scoring regularly then we probably wouldn’t see much of Antony. The only difference is that, of the 4 players mentioned, Rashford is the only one who has regularly scored and assisted for Manchester United. He has to prove that he can regain that form. The others (particularly Sancho) need to prove that they have it in them to reach that level at all.
It is not that simple, Rashfords game was always very limited, even at his best. Technically very average, passing very average. If he cannot use his speed he has little else, and so far he has not proven he can do much without a lot of space to run into.

Even when he was at his best we were not making many chances with him, it was usually counter attacks, and that's not good enough.

romufc

Really? meaningless goals? I guess the goals against Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG, re all meaningless when they are in the 90th minute to win a game, or equaliser.

atkar83

It's incredible really that at the age of 24 we're already taking about using him like a 34 year old veteran. Picking his games, playing against opponents that suit his playing style.

He fades in matches like a 34 year old might. It's possibly a sign his Instagram fitness displays are purely performative
He posted a video of him doing dumbbell shoulder presses, something even my dad bod does at the gym. In no way should that be an example of an elite athlete "putting in the work", especially with ten Hag coming in as a coach who will want you to run run run. I feel like these players don't get any direction with off season fitness, so all they think about is curls for the girls, but will gasp for air if they have to chase the ball for more than 10 seconds

Frank White

He posted a video of him doing dumbbell shoulder presses, something even my dad bod does at the gym. In no way should that be an example of an elite athlete "putting in the work", especially with ten Hag coming in as a coach who will want you to run run run. I feel like these players don't get any direction with off season fitness, so all they think about is curls for the girls, but will gasp for air if they have to chase the ball for more than 10 seconds
He also posted videos of him doing hill sprints... Almost like a professional footballer does multiple exercises :eek: what's weird to me is not just last week he put up excellent numbers in terms of work ethic (should be the bare minimum for 200k a week mind) and yet his thread was still full of he's lazy etc... so somethings not adding up.

Gasolin

Really? meaningless goals? I guess the goals against Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, PSG, re all meaningless when they are in the 90th minute to win a game, or equaliser.
Isn't there a stat to show match winning goals or something? I'm sure there is and yes, Rashford has scored quite some important goals. He was important in that regard.

atkar83

He also posted videos of him doing hill sprints... Almost like a professional footballer does multiple exercises :eek: what's weird to me is not just last week he put up excellent numbers in terms of work ethic (should be the bare minimum for 200k a week mind) and yet his thread was still full of he's lazy etc... so somethings not adding up.
I just saw the video posted here with the dumbbell workout, I'm not on instagram. If he did indeed train to run then it seems like he has a motivation issue because he will only run right now when he's involved in the play, otherwise (from what I've seen) he'll jog around when he should be pressing

FerociousCorgis

should just be the first sub across all 3 positions, assuming ronaldo goes. Which means thanks to Mr. glass upfront he will prob have to figure his shit out at CF since doubt we add anyone there.

Member 125398

I think some people think that having a strongly held opinion somehow makes it more valid. The treatment that Rashford gets from some is quite nasty to say the least. Everyone agrees his workrate and attitude dropped last season along with many others. There's obvious reasons for this, a lot of which are down to him and it looks like he's trying to do something about his part in it. Surely it's our job as fans to try and help the lad by getting behind him with some positivity. The bloke stuck his head out and did some brilliant stuff for the club, the city and the country and he's clearly suffered for it. Are people really happier slagging him off than cheering him on?

romufc

Isn't there a stat to show match winning goals or something? I'm sure there is and yes, Rashford has scored quite some important goals. He was important in that regard.
Exactly. I understand he is not playing well right now but, its a bit foolish to say that all he does is score meaningless goals when in fact he has been one of our important players during the Ole era.

Revaulx

Dunno why some of our fan base is obsessed with the "first choice XI", which is barely a thing, and we play 50+ games a season with 5 substitutes per game.
Absolutely. It’s particularly weird seeing that we were managed by, and had a degree of success with, a chap called Alex Ferguson who was a pioneer of large-scale rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.