Is there a place for Rashford as a regular starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Interesting times. Rashford will either get to work and start competing for the starting spot, or will become less and less important. I'd sell him if that gave us funds for a striker, because I don't think he's a good winger and he's definitely not a striker.

Chip

Barring injuries we have absolutely no reason to start him week in week out anymore. We just need a decent striker now. Hopefully this will spur him on and make him regain some form, but I'm afraid his (lack of) mentality/bad attitude means he'll just fade into mediocrity.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Selling him without getting a replacement would be another appalling decision in a summer of appalling decisions.
If we get Antony then the summer transfers has to be considered a success. Especially with how 3 are already contributing.

lex talionis

Rashford’s refusal to develop his game to the next level is frustrating. He’s a brilliant counterattacking threat but gets trapped in tight spaces. And God forbid he ever challenge for a cross.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Rashford’s refusal to develop his game to the next level is frustrating. He’s a brilliant counterattacking threat but gets trapped in tight spaces. And God forbid he ever challenge for a cross.
He plays scared. I mean, literally scared of the physicality. He doesn't compete for crosses and deliberately ducks under long balls rather than challenge the defenders in the air.

It's weird because he's a big strong dude. But at the moment he's plays like he's still a kid in a man's body.

Gasolin

He plays scared. I mean, literally scared of the physicality. He doesn't compete for crosses and deliberately ducks under long balls rather than challenge the defenders in the air.

It's weird because he's a big strong dude. But at the moment he's plays like he's still a kid in a man's body.
He doesn't play scared, he has a confidence issue. Look at him challenging for the ball against VVD a few years back. This is not someone who is scared of the ball, all the contrary. But he has not improved on the football intelligence and maybe that's a conversation to have. Or he might still have an issue with an injury, I don't know.

Lecland07

Most of the games will probably be a forward line of Sancho, Rashford, Antony. So yes, there is a place.

Polar

No.. Not at his current form. Rashford has mostly been a shadow of himself after he returned from injury:confused:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Should really be sold while he can still fetch us a fee of around £50m.

zenith

He'll fight for his place and that can only be a good thing for the team

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I’d have him as first choice backup in an attack with an injury prone Martial, Sancho who’s drifted in and out of form and clearly has fitness issues, and Antony who’s still acclimatising. And this in a system that the manager says is very physically demanding of it’s attackers. He’ll play loads.

Trequarista10

Sancho, Martial and Antony will play ~3000 minutes in all comps imo.

Rashford and Ronaldo/Depay I predict ~2000

Elanga and Garnacho ~1000

With a fairly substantial margin for error, obviously. Dunno why some of our fan base is obsessed with the "first choice XI", which is barely a thing, and we play 50+ games a season with 5 substitutes per game.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
No chance of converting him to an out and out striker? I think id prefer him starting centrally ahead of Martial?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No chance of converting him to an out and out striker? I think id prefer him starting centrally ahead of Martial?
He doesn't have striker instinct in terms of movement and very poor back to goal. IMO this ship has sailed unless we're willing to invest a lot of time in him.
Don't know what was the plan in the first place with Rashford.

Martial is on another level anyway, when he's bothered and fit that is.

Skills

Snitch
I’d have him as first choice backup in an attack with an injury prone Martial, Sancho who’s drifted in and out of form and clearly has fitness issues, and Antony who’s still acclimatising. And this in a system that the manager says is very physically demanding of it’s attackers. He’ll play loads.
I think he has to start now with Ronaldo. Rashford we'll need some physical presence in the box for Antony to be a legitimate threat, and I don't think Sancho provides any of that.

Secondly, Rashford's most comfortable chasing in behind. Without Rashford, we've potentially got too many players who just want the ball played to feet.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Shouldn't be writing him off - especially as he's finally looked at lease a bit better these first few matches. He still offers more quality and end-product than Elanga, and in my mind he'll now be the first attacking sub from the bench.

But really think you put Sancho on the left, and Antony on the right now.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think he has to start now with Ronaldo. Rashford we'll need some physical presence in the box for Antony to be a legitimate threat, and I don't think Sancho provides any of that.

Secondly, Rashford's most comfortable chasing in behind. Without Rashford, we've potentially got too many players who just want the ball played to feet.
Yeah there’ll definitely be games where Rashford will be useful in behind to provide balance. But there will be plenty of games where we’re starved for space and that option isn’t really open, other than on the counter attack. And Sancho’s great at opening up teams in counter attacks, just in a different way. I don’t think he provides much of a presence in the box at all.

It depends whether he can regain his spark in taking on a man, and whether he can get the support he used to at left back. Those are still big unknowns at this point and if not, the additional balance he provides to the team ends up being more theoretical than practical.

Trophy Room

Some of you guys are honestly crazy. He will start on the left. It's clearly Sancho that's dropping to the bench when Martial is fit. On top form he's brilliant. We forget how good he is sometimes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Shouldn't be writing him off - especially as he's finally looked at lease a bit better these first few matches. He still offers more quality and end-product than Elanga, and in my mind he'll now be the first attacking sub from the bench.

But really think you put Sancho on the left, and Antony on the right now.
Not saying Elanga is good enough, but hasn't he been more involved in good moves than Rashford the last two games? He created Sancho goal, he broke through Southampton midfield in the build up to Bruno goal, and he had two very good scoring chances (one against Liverpool, one against Southampton) but was a bit unlucky. I think it's debatable if Rashford did more so far.
Some of you guys are honestly crazy. He will start on the left. It's clearly Sancho that's dropping to the bench when Martial is fit. On top form he's brilliant. We forget how good he is sometimes.
Why do people still bother saying those words, it puzzles me.
With Rashford, it's clearly not about form anymore. It's more about whether opposition plays to his strength. Liverpool did, leaving space behind. Southampton didn't, staying deep and defenders able to match his speed.

You can see what performance he's going to have just by looking at opposition setup.

El__Jingo

crazy to see how the responses in this chat a year ago, It's as if it was ridiculous to even suggest it.

i would have no issues what so ever selling him, Ive not long finished watching Real and Vinicius is absolutely light years ahead and thats the sort of talent we have been used to watching over the years, Nani is levels above Rashford and its not even hating on the lad. I cannot see him fitting into ETH's system.

Since his break through you cant honestly say hes really gone on to be the player we'd hoped. hes stagnated a lot over the last 18 months and id cash in while we can.

jem

That would be fecking stupid. He hasn’t been anywhere close to top form for years, and even then he was hardly a world beater. He’s in Dele Alli territory these days.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
If not for the fact Martial is always injured, he's also not particularly a great out and out striker and certainly isn't clinical enough to be regarded as elite, they both have similar stats in that regard goals and assist wise in the prem (where I'd argue Rashford played more time out wide than Martial). I just feel that Rashford has a higher ceiling potential wise to score goals consistently but truthfully i think it may be because i have these rose tinted glasses i wear when i watch him as nobody else seems to have the level of faith i have in his ability to become a first team united player.

CG1010

As someone who was a big big fan of his, currently he has no business to be near the playing XI.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He will be on the bench for sure. It will be Antony, Martial, Sancho as attacking 3 as Martial is our only CF who can hold the ball.

Rashford might not even be first sub, with Ronaldo and Elanga on the bench. Elanga has been rated by Rangnick and looks like EtH rates him too.

AndySmith1990

It's easy to forget things that haven't happened for years

little.triangles

What should happen is that Rashford should start against teams like Liverpool and City who push their full backs up. He can be deadly on the counter and finishes well 1v1.

Against most other teams who will sit back, he is not particularly useful. Does not have close control and cannot play the 1-2s that Sancho will.

That's for this season. Once EtH gets the team playing progressive football, he will probably have to find another club.

nainaisson

Rashford's useful when there's space in behind for him to run in to. Against a low block, he's next to useless. So, I expect him to play a lot against teams with a high line.

He'll be a regular sub and start matches where opponents play a high line. He's poor technically, can't play with his back to goal, has no movement in the box and he's an unreliable finisher, but he is quick and direct. He will be Ten Hag's choice when there is space to run in behind.

stw2022

He never seems to run much for a player who only has pace as his one distinct attribute.

Von Mistelroum

Rashford is a children's author and advocate, and a good public face for the 'company', but that seems to be his main role now. As a footballer he's poor, and as a striker he's one of the bottom few in the premier League so I've no clue why we're playing him there.

To answer the question, no he doesn't have a place as a regular and unless he gets considerably better soon, he wouldn't be a regular for any other premier league team either.

Status
Not open for further replies.