Is there a way to get more out of Antony?

ryansgirl

People are entitled to their opinions but ones that state Antony is `the worst player` to have been at United are clearly coming from people who started supporting United a few seasons ago.

I liked Antony before he joined United but something is very wrong and it seems a mix of trying to fit into a problematic United team, not being played to his strengths by Ten Hag and not being suited to the English game. Generally Brazilians are far more suited to playing in the Spanish and Italian leagues owing to the footballing style that predominates there and the cultural connections with South America.

Brazilian players don`t tend to do well in the Premier League and Antony is not unusual in this respect.

Mike Smalling

People are entitled to their opinions but ones that state Antony is `the worst player` to have been at United are clearly coming from people who started supporting United a few seasons ago.

I liked Antony before he joined United but something is very wrong and it seems a mix of trying to fit into a problematic United team, not being played to his strengths by Ten Hag and not being suited to the English game. Generally Brazilians are far more suited to playing in the Spanish and Italian leagues owing to the footballing style that predominates there and the cultural connections with South America.

Brazilian players don`t tend to do well in the Premier League and Antony is not unusual in this respect.
Laying the blame at his nationality it such a cop-out, and it's not even particularly true anymore. Just off the top of my head here are some Brazilian players are or have been very succesful in the Premier League: Coutinho, Firmino, Willian, Ederson, Allison, Fabinho, Fernandinho, GIlberto Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Martinelli. And then there is a bunch of players in some of the mid-table teams that have also done well.

Antony is not doing well, because he is not good enough for the Premier League. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with being Brazilian.

Adamsk7

Antony and Onana are such big loses for Ten Hag. I have always wanted him to stay but those two massive bits of bad judgement make me seriously doubt if he could ever get it right here.

TBH if someone said that if we get rid of Ten Hag we’d also get rid of those two I’d take it in a heartbeat that’s how strongly I think they are hindering the team

Nickelodeon

Think this is a dated sentiment and there are many examples of Brazilian's doing well in the PL in recent years. The fact that Antony has been unsuccessful with us has little to do with him being Brazilian and more with him not being good enough.

frostbite

Antony and Onana are such big loses for Ten Hag. I have always wanted him to stay but those two massive bits of bad judgement make me seriously doubt if he could ever get it right here.

TBH if someone said that if we get rid of Ten Hag we’d also get rid of those two I’d take it in a heartbeat that’s how strongly I think they are hindering the team
It is astounding that both of them have been his players before! It is not like he didn't know what exactly he was getting, he had worked with them daily in the past. It seems that ETH is not a good judge of talent.

Mike Smalling

The only reason I can see for keeping him around, is that there might be a FFP impact of selling him at a huge loss. I'm not sure I fully understand that, but I remember reading about it at some point.

If FFP is not an issue, we should take literally anything we can get and move him on. £10-15m should be possible.

mikeyt

Absolutely spot on, these were two huge transfers for big fees that were supposed to significantly improve two areas we needed improvement in and the club backed him with them. Instead we've spent upwards of £120million on two players that have regressed us. That's without commenting on a number of his other transfers.

If ETH wants to survive here he has to start by eating humble pie on some of these transfers and start leaving the likes of Antony out and giving the likes of Amad minutes with a view to offloading in the summer. It hasn't worked so move them on. I'm hoping Ineos will have a big say in some of this.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

Poor sods have had it tough

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yes. Ask him to shave his head and send him to Bayern Munich. Now you have Robben who is not our problem anymore.

wolvored

Laying the blame at his nationality it such a cop-out, and it's not even particularly true anymore. Just off the top of my head here are some Brazilian players are or have been very succesful in the Premier League: Coutinho, Firmino, Willian, Ederson, Allison, Fabinho, Fernandinho, GIlberto Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Martinelli. And then there is a bunch of players in some of the mid-table teams that have also done well.

Antony is not doing well, because he is not good enough for the Premier League. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with being Brazilian.
Well said

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Selling him for whatever we can is the only way to get anything from him. He’s simply not good enough for the EPL.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It's odd as last night his problem was basic ball controls and being quick enough with his feet which are two things he shown over and again he is very good at. His problems are usually indecision and an inability to get his head up, has to be down to his head, something not right with him but whether it's stress, confidence or whatever, there is clearly something missing.

I don't think he will ever be good enough to be a starter for us but we have to hope it gets better.

Gupz

Normally bad wingplayers you can transition to the back positions. So I would say, try him as leftback. But he cannot cross, so yeah he is kind of a hopeless case at this point.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He runs like he's just been shoved and is trying to regain his balance.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Really is one of those signings where a full-blown inquiry should be launched into how such a deal was sanctioned and who was involved.

We should sell him for whatever we can get. We'll probably just loan him before that time comes though.

soapythecat

Brought on to play LW last night - that’s defo him being used because of no other option.
when Richarlison wasn’t scoring for Spurs, you could see the quality. There is nothing from this one trick clown to tell us that he needs to go. No one will buy him and we will have to pay a lot of his wages on loan. He will be a blot and reminder of the Murtough yearswhilst hia contract runs down. Best way to get him out would be to drive him out from the terrace - he is so far below the standard needed.

OleGunnar20

Dreadful signing. I've never wanted to be too harsh as he always seemed to be trying his best, but that tracking back yesterday just tipped it over the edge for me.

You're coming on as a sub mate - bust a gut to defend the lead! Terrible.

Dan_F

The only reason I can see for keeping him around, is that there might be a FFP impact of selling him at a huge loss. I'm not sure I fully understand that, but I remember reading about it at some point.

If FFP is not an issue, we should take literally anything we can get and move him on. £10-15m should be possible.
It’s better to get anything for him than have him counting negatively in FFP terms. The main issue is that we have to spend again on a replacement.

davidmichael

I think his performances since I created the thread have answered my question as Antony has been awful and his footballing IQ is so low it’s painful, even being shifted out to the left saw him struggle so I think whatever we can get for him and moving him on is definitely the best solution.

James35

I have supported United for 37 years and I’m confident in saying he is absolutely shit.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

The business men can deal with the loss of money - as far as we are concerned him being out of a match day squad, permanently , is what we want.
The rest is academic.

SirScholes

Could name more than enough to show this isn’t a cultural thing
He’s just a bit shit, he doesn’t even play like a Brazilian winger

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think he will go down as our worst post-Fergie signing all things considered. We have signed worse players, but they didn't cost nearly as much nor play that many games. We wont be able to sell him for much either. Just a disaster in every transfer metric.

MonkeysMagic

Antony was awful for the 20min he was on the pitch, and my only thought on why ETH continues to pick him for match day squads is his price tag! If Amiad is fit, which I believe he has been for the last couple of games, on ability alone he gets picked ahead of Antony anywhere else.

ScarleyUtd

Imagine the stick if Mainoo hadn't scored. I don't think Antony retained possession once. Somehow he needs to be moved on.

ryansgirl

Is he having difficulty adjusting to life in the UK? Not every professional sports player is cut out to be a happy nomad living here and there, coming up against different ways of doing things in their new teams.
Obviously the UK`s multi-culturalism and the changes in player demographics in the different leagues would be an asset to foreign players now but for somebody who is a talented footballer if you`ve watched his play before coming to United, he looks as if he`s a different player. I like Antony and I hope his struggles aren`t also adjustment ones for whatever reason.

NLunited

It's odd as last night his problem was basic ball controls and being quick enough with his feet which are two things he shown over and again he is very good at. His problems are usually indecision and an inability to get his head up, has to be down to his head, something not right with him but whether it's stress, confidence or whatever, there is clearly something missing.

I don't think he will ever be good enough to be a starter for us but we have to hope it gets better.
He‘s trying to be better but ends up making all the wrong decisions. There is mental stuff he has to work out.

If you are brought on to help keep possession and try to dribble through two guys, that‘s fecking stupid.

I would send him out with simple instructions. But ultimately he has to learn to make the right decisions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I could never belief how a man who has coached him before, managed him before, don't know about his shortcoming and sanction an 80M purchase for this fraud.

I know it's not my money, but If I don't at least try to stop the company from wasting 80M on broken things i'd be given my P45

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I could never belief how a man who has coached him before, managed him before, don't know about his shortcoming and sanction an 80M purchase for this fraud.

I know it's not my money, but If I don't at least try to stop the company from wasting 80M on broken things i'd be given my P45
It is not even that situation ("i will spend so what happens, happens. Who cares?").
It is your job in question. You will not get another funds for right winger. And still you think that Antony is best what you can get. Unbelievable. Fans, who don't know even 1% of what manager knows, saw after few months all his flaws. How the feck Erik didn't?

Red Royal

It is not even that situation ("i will spend so what happens, happens. Who cares?").
It is your job in question. You will not get another funds for right winger. And still you think that Antony is best what you can get. Unbelievable. Fans, who don't know even 1% of what manager knows, saw after few months all his flaws. How the feck Erik didn't?
It really is baffling and possibly shows how EtH vastly underestimated the gulf between the English Premier League and the Dutch League. Given it was weeks into last season when he was signed it is extremely worrying; that or Antony has some serious dirt on EtH that he wants to be kept secret :nono:

Oscar Bonavena

No, I don't think so. PL left backs have him figured out (wasn't exactly like cracking the enigma code) and he doesn't have a plan B.