Is there a way to get more out of Antony?

Gordon Godot

So tell me this season when has he left a player for dead? Occasionally he beats a player but is then too slow or checking back off his right foot, so is then immediately dispossessed. I can assume either your about 10 or never played football to keep pretending he has any top class attributes. Zero goals and zero assists. For £85m.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's mediocre as feck, I'm afraid.

That's what the evidence suggests.

As for the suggestions about using him as a wing-back and whatnot...I understand the desperation, and I share it, I suppose. But - nah. Forget about that, it won't happen and I really don't think there's a grand wing-back hiding there either. Just a run-of-the-mill player we overpaid for in the extreme.

We need better management. We shouldn't overpay in the extreme for someone like him.

Ekeke

Yes. Train him to go on the outside down the right more often, even if he then dribbles down the line back to his left foot. And get him to practice shooting every session so he gets his shots on target

Rista

"Elite at tracking back".

That's a first. :lol:

You have to admire some folks dedication to the craft of making arguments no matter how asinine they sound. Truly Elite!
Elite at tracking back and top level dribbling only in certain situations. We've got a gem on our hands.

TheRedHearted

Play him as a RCM just for shits and giggles. Hell even a CM!
And just tickle my fancy and let us see him at CB next to Martinez. “Ball playing CB” who is dirty and has a lot of fight to him

Flying high

You're having a laugh mate. Seriously. Top level?
Yes.

A bit like Valencia in many ways. He does some things really well, but is below par in other areas. I'm not sure what's so hard to see about this?

So tell me this season when has he left a player for dead? Occasionally he beats a player but is then too slow or checking back off his right foot, so is then immediately dispossessed. I can assume either your about 10 or never played football to keep pretending he has any top class attributes. Zero goals and zero assists. For £85m.
Some people really struggle with comprehension around here. Where did I say he was constantly leaving players for dead? Where did I say he's been good, even? I literally said that he's not effective enough. But all you can see is someone saying something slightly positive about a player you clearly hate, so you respond like, well, the 10 year old you're accusing me of being. Again you get a :rolleyes:

Zed 101

Play him left, at least then he could cross without having to beat a man.... hell right now play him as a 9, can't be worse than Martial

Zoid

The best place for him is the bench, he will do the least damage there.

Monks_United

Ask him to double in as a server at the cafeteria ? He cannot take a leave for training or matches during his shift. Then make sure his shift coincides with every single match we play. So, now you have a guy that can do a spin with a football while serving at the cafeteria which makes him more entertaining than anyone else there. Plus he cant play real matches and we don't automatically start a man down. Solved !

UnitedRepublic

Play him left, at least then he could cross without having to beat a man.... hell right now play him as a 9, can't be worse than Martial
He is worse than a broken down Martial even when he is in top form Antony got nothing on Martial workrate is the only thing he got on him. People are acting like Martial is some guy who never has shown anything at all at this club and that he’s been kept because of pity.

John Blund

Now that Sancho is out for the season loan, Antony will stand alone collecting points as the worst value United signing, ever.

Abraxas

I don't think it could be any worse than what he is producing on the right wing, so it's not the worst idea. I just don't know a scenario that he would play many games centrally.

He doesn't have a bad touch or technique, he just has no dynamism to his play in this league, he can't beat anyone, he can't go body to body with anyone, he doesn't have any killer instinct as a winger that will get between the posts and score. So he's very much blunt as an attacking force. If all you want is someone to link play he could probably do a job, but again, is he ever really going to come in for Bruno who plays every game, is he ever going to be a choice over chucking on Mctominay to break lines? Hard to imagine.

lex talionis

Valencia, Giggs, Maradona.
It's common enough but they had other attributes.

I don't understand how pros are so one footed. I use both feet playing and I'm shite
Giggs and Maradona were heavily one-footed but were able to punish opposition with both feet over a long period of time. Valencia was famously one-footed but could actually put in a decent cross with his right foot from the right side, although he is also famous for smashing balls again and again into the ankles of fullbacks and rarely looked for the shot. Antony almost never even attempts a cross and is the kind of footballer who only looks for the shot and when it's not on gets dispossessed.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Would Anthony break into the first team at a club like Villa or Brighton? I think there's your answer.

Mwooyo

We should be discussing replacing Anthony, not changing systems to get him to do basic stuff like beating a FB 1v1. He came, we saw, he can not conquer....time to move on. Amad and Garnacho are there as options. We need to be more ruthless earlier on, rather than dragging these bad deals on for years. Real madrid just terminated hazards contract and let him go. Arsenal did this to pepe. Barcelona has done the same before as well. We need to get to the point where we release these lousy ballers earlier...and then make sure we NEVER sign such limited players ever again

ABTEK

May be play him on the left, tell him to cut his stupid take ons. Drill him to strictly hit-run-cross simple, hit-run-cross alla Valencia.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Given you mention the spin, which he's done like once or twice, I'm not sure you want an answer.

But in case you're actually not closed minded on him, his close control, 1st touch, work rate, dribbling(though only in certain situations) are all top level.
I’d like to hear how these “top level” skills have translated into goals and assists this season in the league.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's mediocre as feck, I'm afraid.

That's what the evidence suggests.

As for the suggestions about using him as a wing-back and whatnot...I understand the desperation, and I share it, I suppose. But - nah. Forget about that, it won't happen and I really don't think there's a grand wing-back hiding there either. Just a run-of-the-mill player we overpaid for in the extreme.

We need better management. We shouldn't overpay in the extreme for someone like him.
What does it say about Ten Hag, who managed him at Ajax, that he wanted him so bad? He knew the player, very well. Stam says he was an average player in Holland! Beggars belief.

Paul778

May be play him on the left, tell him to cut his stupid take ons. Drill him to strictly hit-run-cross simple, hit-run-cross alla Valencia.
Coaching is about maximising your ability but there is a limit. If the level of the player to start with isn't that great to begin with, you're just throwing even more time and effort at him for scant reward.

Daniel James had more to his game that this guy.

Bondi77

Use him as a turnstile so he can actually put his pirouettes to good use.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Valencia had pace to burn and could keep the FB's honest. Antony is not the fastest and cannot cross. He'd be worse on the left than he is on the right.

All the suggestions to convert him to a FB are not going to work either as successful FB's who aren't very pacey, like say Blind or Alonso, have terrific vision, passing and crossing ability. Antony doesn't have that either. He gets frustrated and starts fouling like an idiot when things don't go his way. He'll give a lot of pens and free-kicks in dangerous areas if he played there.

Only thing he has is this "Elite Tracking back" ability and some mediocre dribbling skills. I don't think he can be a success in any of the big leagues with those skills. He'll have to find his way back to the Eredivisie if he has to forge a decent career for himself.

Varun1

Send him to a weaker league, have a good season, sell.

justsomebloke

http://www.skysports.com/share/13044134

I saw this pop up on Sky Sports News and it made me wonder if there’s a way to get more out of Antony, maybe changing his positional role or is it really a case of writing off £80+ million ?

I’m not usually a fan of changing players positions as I think players should always play their best role and the whole point of a squad is to have able cover for each position but in Antony’s case it’s clear he’s fecking awful in his supposed best position.

He may be the most one footed player I’ve ever seen and out wide on the right he’s useless as he can only cut inside so the opposition show him the outside and leaves our right side impotent, that said though he does have the ability to beat a man and link play so would he be better as a 10 ?

I know this is Fernandes position but I’m simply looking at Antony as an alternative or rotation option if he stays due to us not finding a buyer. If played centrally Antony would have the option of going either way and does have the pace to then open play up and the passing to play others in.

What I don’t want is to see Antony on the right anymore as unlike Diallo and Olise if he was to join he’s too much one dimensional and offers nothing on the right other than a warm body, shifting him may be hard work and if so possibly a central role could see him at least become a decent option rather than a pointless waste of money as he currently is.
He doesn't have the decision making to be a good #10, doesn't seem to be the type at all.

If we're speculating about alternative uses, I'd rather think about left wing or left wing back. With his one-footedness, he'd provide something different from the left than he does from the right, which maybe would be for the best considering how little he's providing from the right. And given that his defensive application in many ways is the most consistently good aspect of his game, you'd think he might do something as a full back. But I'm sure there are lots of objections that can be raised to both of those ideas too.

justsomebloke

For those suggesting he play on the left, he can't beat a man so would be another Sancho from the right situation.
In some ways, you could argue "a Sancho from the right" is just what we need. All of our attackers except Sancho are very direct in their style - we're arguably really missing someone who would rather hold on to the ball and look for the pass.

justsomebloke

Yes he could work better as a 10
or a left winger
or even right winger for that matter - it just has to be for another club

@OP are you suggesting we should give Antony a chance as a #10? Have you thought that through? Because we might be the most stacked club in #10 position.

People need to realize that Antony's biggest weakness is his passing with left foot which is atrocious. There is no position in which this can be mitigated. Certainly not #10 or left wing (if you've seen him attempting to cross you know).
We don't have much viewing to go on from the left wing position, but from what little there's been I can't really recall bad crossing as a particular problem? I do vaguely remember thinking he actually looked better playing from that side. Not much of a case, I know.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Antony's problem for me is that he's a poor passer. Can't get away with that anywhere but right up front in the modern game for me. So unless he's suddenly going to become a no.9 then I think he just has to get better. RB is an outside shout because he is good at winning the ball and keeping hold of it, it's just what happens next that is the question mark.

Its a simple one, teach him to cross more wih his right foot. He runs at players and finds himself with a bit of space to cross with his right but instead he cuts back to get onto his left. He's often run a fair way forward by this point and is isolated whilst others catch up so the whole move slows down. One thing in his favour is that he occupies full backs but if he brought the risk of firing in crosses as well as cutting in he would be very dangerous.