g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is there an English team everyone likes?

Blood Mage

I'd say Everton are well liked by everyone outside of Liverpool supporters.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Fulham is a good shout to everyone outside London.

Great stadium

Ibi Dreams

Leicester maybe? Never really seen any contempt towards them and obviously got a huge amount of good will from their PL win

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd say Everton are well liked by everyone outside of Liverpool supporters.
Definitely not. Lot of vitriol randomly on here at times our way and people like Newcastle want to have a strange rivalry with us too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Used to be Leicester. Then it was Brighton. Currently, the spot is open. I think Southampton were once perceived as the most inoffensive team in the top flight.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Used to be Leicester. Then it was Brighton. Currently, the spot is open. I think Southampton were once perceived as the most inoffensive team in the top flight.
I think if you're on this track of thought regarding the 'story' of the club i.e Leicester doing the impossible and then Brighton beating football, Luton is probably a good shout this season as they're fighting heavily against the odds to stay up.

yorkshire red

Always got the impression my hometown club York City were popular (although that may of been more due to the fact it used to be a good away day for the fans given the old stadium was walkable from the city centre)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think if you're on this track of thought regarding the 'story' of the club i.e Leicester doing the impossible and then Brighton beating football, Luton is probably a good shout this season as they're fighting heavily against the odds to stay up.
Would’ve said Luton, too, but for the random bit of abuse they got in here. :lol:

But in general, the ‘story’, where everyone is rooting for the team is usually what I’d go for especially so because neutrals are willing them to win rather than being indifferent to them, which is a big deal in a league where you rarely wish others well.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
That's the beauty of English football, there are so many rivalries at all levels, that there's no team that everybody likes.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Let's discount the direct rivals because they'll obviously despise them, but I think Villa, Leicester, Brighton and Luton are very well liked by most people.

Scriblerus

I always liked West Ham back in the day - they promoted talent, they played good football and they were never good enough to be rivals when we were chasing silverware.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I always liked West Ham back in the day - they promoted talent, they played good football and they were never good enough to be rivals when we were chasing silverware.
and now they’ve surpassed us. well done.

E-mal

Let's discount the direct rivals because they'll obviously despise them, but I think Villa, Leicester, Brighton and Luton are very well liked by most people.
Villa? Tell that to one of my client who supports Birmingham

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Villa? Tell that to one of my client who supports Birmingham
Like I said, we have to discount the direct rivals for this thread to make sense. Apart from Birmingham fans, Villa seem to be very well liked in general.

Bright_Eyes

Like I said, we have to discount the direct rivals for this thread to make sense. Apart from Birmingham fans, Villa seem to be very well liked in general.
Pretty much. The answer is just no close thread if you don't discount rivals.

georgegroves

I disagree, their fans are arrogant considering who they support, twitter seems to celebrate when they lose, and gabby agbonlahor is their biggest representative, the most hateful spiteful man in football

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I remember once reading that Gillingham are the least hated team in the top 4 English divisions, they are the only professional club in the county that they play in, and based on a survey there were no fans of any club that considered them a rival. I guess that's not quite a team that everyone likes, just that no one dislikes them. They... exist.

Discounting rival fans, plucky underdog teams that have just been promoted to the PL seem to be well liked, especially ones who have never been up before. Swansea were generally well liked when they first came up, and Rodgers had them playing very good football. More recently, Brighton and Brentford seem to have taken that mantle. Leicester during their title-winning season were also being supported by everyone except Spurs fans.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Thread starter seemed to be talking about smaller teams that not many care about. Mansfield, Barrow, Gillingham, Carlisle, Harrogate?

Mind you, when Torquay and Notts County were mentioned they sounded like personal ones he had a soft spot for too.

TheLord

Among regulars in the Premier League, Aston Villa could be the least hated.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For me it's Crystal Palace. Sound club, passionate fanbase, always give some it large with banter, but are pretty funny when doing so. Plus they have Liverpool on toast more often than not which is always great.

NICanRed

The opposite - the club that everyone hates would be Manchester United. According to the Caf even the “supporters” hate them!