Is Thiago Silva this generation's best CB?

BarcaSpurs

Hes achieved absolutely nowhere near enough in his career to be considered in this discussion.

Its Ramos, Pepe, Pique and Boateng at the top imo.

El Pasillo

No.

How will Thiago Silva be remembered after all those years at PSG? As an underachiever.

What did he actually do in the highest echelon of football? Not much.

Very little for some who was once compared with the likes of Maldini or Nesta, while at Milan.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I also think Marquinhos is better now than an aging Silva. You can't claim Marquinhos has performed better than Silva this decade though. He got benched/pushed to RB by David Luiz ffs
I didn't claim that so don't know what to say to you lolz
And we know what happened to Luiz so the better and more promising defender prevailed

Hynestein

Sergio Ramos easily. Possibly the CB GOAT, never mind best of a generation.
Not even close. It's a weird one, I've watched games where he's had top players in his pocket, but also watched him look like he's never played in a back 4 before. I don't think anyone with as many red cards as Ramos can be considered a superb defender. Surely the ideal defender wins the ball and gives no foul? But on the flip side he's a top leader and obsessive winner. The reds he gets, and the ruthlessness is why he's such a decorated player.

I think basically he's not the best defender of this generation but I'd still want him at CB. Plus he's got more career goals than Iniesta is kinda nuts.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I didn't claim that so don't know what to say to you lolz
And we know what happened to Luiz so the better and more promising defender prevailed
I didn't understand your first post:)

The question was who the best CB of this decade was and not who the best CB at the moment is. Therefore I did not see the relevance of your claim about Silva being worse than Marquinhos.

Did David Luiz get pushed out the door? I thought Chelsea were desperate for a CB last minute after the Bonucci move fell through, I didn't remember him being shopped around that summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't understand your first post:)

The question was who the best CB of this decade was and not who the best CB at the moment is. Therefore I did not see the relevance of your claim about Silva being worse than Marquinhos.

Did David Luiz get pushed out the door? I thought Chelsea were desperate for a CB last minute after the Bonucci move fell through, I didn't remember him being shopped around that summer.
David Luiz didn't deserve to start in the first place, Marquinhos was pushed aside because David Luiz was Thiago's mate then iirc Thiago wasn't that bothered about playing with David Luiz and PSG opened the door for Luiz. PSG is a strange place.

Rossa

There is a lack of great CBs out there now, isn't there? I like watching Silva as he is a very elegant defender. Ramos is a nutjob, but a very good one. His defending one on one is brilliant, but his positioning is terrible. He has the physical attributes to excelt at CB, and he uses them to great effect. He is a leader on the pitch and very important for RM. Is he better than say Pique? I'd say so, but I doubt he is as good as Chiellini, for instance - not as a defender, but perhaps as an overall player. Take away his goals, would so many rate Ramos? Most agree that Marcelo is the best attacking lb, but the emphasis is on attacking.

This is controversial, but how would you guys rate Verthongen? Spurs have had one of the best defenses in the PL for several years now, and at the heart of that has been Verthongen. He is great with the ball, reads the game very well and just doesn't seem to have many glaring weaknesses, other than being vaccinated for scoring goals.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is a lack of great CBs out there now, isn't there? I like watching Silva as he is a very elegant defender. Ramos is a nutjob, but a very good one. His defending one on one is brilliant, but his positioning is terrible. He has the physical attributes to excelt at CB, and he uses them to great effect. He is a leader on the pitch and very important for RM. Is he better than say Pique? I'd say so, but I doubt he is as good as Chiellini, for instance - not as a defender, but perhaps as an overall player. Take away his goals, would so many rate Ramos? Most agree that Marcelo is the best attacking lb, but the emphasis is on attacking.

This is controversial, but how would you guys rate Verthongen? Spurs have had one of the best defenses in the PL for several years now, and at the heart of that has been Verthongen. He is great with the ball, reads the game very well and just doesn't seem to have many glaring weaknesses, other than being vaccinated for scoring goals.
I don't think so. First tactical changes mean that central defenses are really exposed nowadays which makes CBs job harder and we tend to misjudge old players or create groups that are spread on a very long period of time.

paulscholes18

As a pure defender Chiellini would get my vote, like my top 2 United CBs Stam & Vidic a no nonsense hard tackling warrior, also they get best out of ball playing defenders like Ferdinand, Ramos, Bonucci.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In my opinion, Boateng had the highest peak. 2014 to around 2016 was simply brillant. He had everything: Brillant tackles, strength, speed and on top of that his build up play was on par with Hummels and Bonucci. His long balls were probably even a little bit better.

After him, it is very close, I think. I would put Ramos, Godin, Silva, Chiellini, Hummels, Bonucci, Kompany, Pique,

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The last few years made Ramos untouchable when we're talking about this generation.
Godin, Silva, Boateng in a tier below and I'd say that Godin is the best of them (but not the one you'd choose for a high-line and big on possession sides)

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
I think Godin is benefiting from playing in a defensive side like Atletico. Nearly every defender is doing fantastic there. Don't think he would do that good in other teams.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nope. Hasn't been that great in the CL. Don't even think he's been to the semi finals?

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Pepe has been absolute mint the last 10 years. As a pure defender he is/was better than Ramos.

Ubermensch

Ramos is so overrated now it's not even funny. There have been countless big games-I could just show you an el clasico highlight reel-where DEFENSIVELY he has been shown up. His disciplinary record speaks for itself and let's not forget how it was Pepe that held that defence together for a while. How many goals he has scored has no bearing on how good a defender he has been or else we need to start bringing up Terry's name a bit more.

Revan

Assumptionman
Sergio Ramos and is not even close. He's a cnut but he has been absolutely fantastic and at heart of defence for a team which won 4 UCL, 2 Euros and 1 World Cup. Arguably in contention for the GOAT CB.

Trizy

Ramos is a better version of Silva so Ramos is better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Easily Sergio Ramos. Then the likes of Bonucci and Chiellini are above Thiago Silva. Also Godin. And boateng.
I'd say those are my top 5. Thiago Silva definitely not even top 3, none of them are close to Ramos.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rio ferdinand for me. Ultimate defender. Goat. Had everything. Pace, positioning, tackling, decision making, strong in air. Oh boy, how i miss him in our defence

At the moment; that prick ramos. Dirty fecker but excellent defender

StillPlayingFooty

Supports
Liverpool FC
I would rank him as one of the classiest of this generation. Always joy to watch his elegance on the pitch.

Charles Miller

David Luiz didn't deserve to start in the first place, Marquinhos was pushed aside because David Luiz was Thiago's mate then iirc Thiago wasn't that bothered about playing with David Luiz and PSG opened the door for Luiz. PSG is a strange place.
In which place would you put Thiago Silva among the CBs playing in big european leagues in the last decade?

Serious question. I probably watched him playing for PSG less than 10 times and in the nt he created an image of a great CB but a weak leader.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Shocking that some people think Ramos is the GOAT defender, absolutely nowhere near. Here's some stats for you:

In 2018, Real Madrid have played 30 matches. In those 30 matches Real Madrid have only kept FIVE clean sheets. So thats 25 matches with no clean sheet.

And Ramos is at the heart of that defence. Has ever dawned on anyone that both Real Madrid/Barcelona have competent but average defences that are simply bailed out by INSANE attacking units?

In order for Real Madrid to win matches therefore they require to score at least 2 goals a game, because they're guaranteed to concede nearly every other match.

Might as well Victor Valdes the GOAT GK because he was at the heart of the Barcelona defence that won the 2009 & 2011 CL's.

Ramos is potentially a GOAT captain, but GOAT defender he is not. Massively overrated.
Clean sheets are a lot more down to how a team plays, not the individual in defense.

Madrid have a very good starting back 4 but poor cover. Kroos isn't very good defensively and Modric is honestly better than Casemiro who I don't rate highly. Then you've got the front 3 that don't do much defending. Real have shown they're not that hard to score against but Ramos and Varane go along way to shore up their weaknesses that they possess as a team when defending.

Schneckerl

I'm usually not someone who equals team accomplishments/accolades with individual skill, but that guy literally has ZERO big game performances because his team never makes it that past the QF and he plays in a low exposure league right?

SteveW

Shocking that some people think Ramos is the GOAT defender, absolutely nowhere near. Here's some stats for you:

In 2018, Real Madrid have played 30 matches. In those 30 matches Real Madrid have only kept FIVE clean sheets. So thats 25 matches with no clean sheet.

And Ramos is at the heart of that defence. Has ever dawned on anyone that both Real Madrid/Barcelona have competent but average defences that are simply bailed out by INSANE attacking units?

In order for Real Madrid to win matches therefore they require to score at least 2 goals a game, because they're guaranteed to concede nearly every other match.

Might as well Victor Valdes the GOAT GK because he was at the heart of the Barcelona defence that won the 2009 & 2011 CL's.

Ramos is potentially a GOAT captain, but GOAT defender he is not. Massively overrated.
Correct. It's another example of this seemingly new phenomenon of using team success as proof of individual greatness. Excellent leader and captain but not one of the all time great defenders at all.

Zoo

I think Godin is benefiting from playing in a defensive side like Atletico. Nearly every defender is doing fantastic there. Don't think he would do that good in other teams.
I disagree he gave a masterclass against Arsenal and is the best penalty box defender in the world. Atleti wouldn’t have been able to deliberately employ those tactics with any other defender.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
No.

How will Thiago Silva be remembered after all those years at PSG? As an underachiever.

What did he actually do in the highest echelon of football? Not much.

Very little for some who was once compared with the likes of Maldini or Nesta, while at Milan.
It depends on whether or not he wins the World Cup.

Sterling Archer

Silva is so irrelevant he wasn't even part of the Brazil team that lost 7-1 against Germany in the World Cup.

Too bad because he was very talented. His move to PDF wasn't even his fault as I understand, just that Milan needed the money, no?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Sergio Ramos easily. Possibly the CB GOAT, never mind best of a generation.
I'd put Ramos down as one of the best players ever. But the best center back of all time? Definitely not. A liability on many occasions, irregardless of how good he can be. A defender with that many red cards can not go down as the best.

No arguement will sway me. As I said, definitely will go down as a footballing great, but there are plenty better defenders in history.