Is Thiago Silva this generation's best CB?

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
The question at hand is obviously the one above, but I don't want to make this thread solely about him. I would like to hear differing opinions on who is the best CB of this generation if there is disagreement about Thiago Silva, which I assume.

"Generation" is always hard to define. To try to give some framework to the discussion, I would suggest taking a look at performances in this decade. That means I am not looking for contributions how much better Vidic and Ferdinand were because everyone knows that anyway:drool: They had their best days in the last decade and I want to look if there is a broad consensus about the next CBs worthy of being called the best of their generation.

Now I can start making my case for Thiago Silva: He is fast, he is strong, he is very good in the air despite being small and his average height gives him an advantage in many cases. Jerome Boateng for example is also very fast, but accelerates slowly because of his massive frame and has big problems when defending nimble dribblers like Messi

Always have a grin on my face watching that:angel:

Thiago Silva is much better defending small dribblers and did it on practically all occasions. Serie A and Ligue 1 are not the strongest leagues, but he also performed very good in multiple CL campaigns and at the 2016 World Cup.

He turns 34 this year and I thought he was on a bit of a decline, but here is his highlights video from this season (skip to 10 seconds in):

Obviously that is only a highlights video and the creator will not show his mistakes, but I just saw so much intelligent defending I was impressed by in that video. Many CBs would be happy to have this highlights over the course of their career.

Other factors speaking in his favor would be he is a very good ball playing CB, he is a leader and he had to endure playing alongside Mexes and David Luiz for several seasons:lol:.

The reason I made a thread at this point is I want to see everyone's opinion before the recency bias clouds the people's judgement, after one top CB makes a crucial mistake at the WC for everyone to see. Also I thought it could be fun to revisit this thread during and after the tournament to laugh at some suggestions in hindsight:wenger:

Other candidates worthy of the discussion in my opinion:
Diego Godin
Sergio Ramos
Pepe

Feel free to add as you like..

btw my first thread and all that, I hope the media works:nervous:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pepe is/was better than Ramos, Godin and Thiago Silva

Dolf

Does Chiellini still count for this generation?

I would say Ramos and Chiellini are both above Silva.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Not even in the top 5 IMO... he was good in Milan for a few seasons and that's it.

Ramos, Pique, Pepe, Godin, Chiellini are the first 5 names that come to my mind.

Reactions: Invictus

Stringer

Was he not dropped for the CL game against Real Madrid because they felt he wasn't mentally strong enough? If so, that doesn't say much for him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I've probably watched a total of 10 Thiago Silva games and he's never really stood out. He's probably good but I have no idea how people know that. Who watches PSG?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No. For one Hummels and Boateng are better, then you have Ramos, Pique etc to also contend with.

wythyred

Nope - Godin is the best pure defender but Ramos is the best of this generation his all round game,leadership qualities and trophy cabinet puts him as one of the best of all time.

Silva is a good defender but that's about it really.

I love discussing defenders, wish there was more threads on the caf regarding them.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He was good at Milan but hasn't really shown anything at PSG that makes him the best CB of this generation.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Silva could have been up there, but doing well for a sub par Milan and strolling the French league without doing much in Europe is a poor stage.

Ramos curb stomps this one.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
He was good at Milan but hasn't really shown anything at PSG that makes him the best CB of this generation.
He left Milan in 2012. In 2013, 2014 and 2015 he was part of the FIFA World XI. How did he manage that without playing like one of the best CB around? People didn't watch much Ligue 1, but he was convincing at CL level very much.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Pepe, Pique, Godin or Ramos. Pepe won't get enough love because he's Pepe but he outperformed Ramos very often for Madrid.

The way Ramos has stepped up in big matches in recent years puts him ahead of all the others though.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Sergio Ramos was and still is twice as good

maniwin

Ramos is better. Made fun of Neymar ,Mbappe and Cavani , pocketed Dybala whole game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thiago Silva will be forever etched into memory as the guy Nani ran past and dropped a trivela pass to Rooney.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Pepe, Pique, Godin or Ramos. Pepe won't get enough love because he's Pepe but he outperformed Ramos very often for Madrid.

The way Ramos has stepped up in big matches in recent years puts him ahead of all the others though.
Pepe was a great pure defender but Ramos' leadership and goal-scoring capability puts him ahead for me. Ramos is simply the complete package.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Pepe was a great pure defender but Ramos' leadership and goal-scoring capability puts him ahead for me. Ramos is simply the complete package.
Pepe was Ramos' leader before he got too old to play regularly...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I will always remember him as a CB who didn't make some big mistakes that the likes of Ramos, Chiellini, etc. had in them. But at the same time I don't think I watched one game where he stood up, he was decent whenever I watched him, but he barely stood out next to his partners, let alone world's best CBs.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Why the wankfest over Ramos? He's fine but never really stood out to me.

Kostov

Chiellini has been the best and most reliable defender of this last generation, but he often does not take the credit he deserves.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Not even the best CB at his club
I also think Marquinhos is better now than an aging Silva. You can't claim Marquinhos has performed better than Silva this decade though. He got benched/pushed to RB by David Luiz ffs

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sergio Ramos easily. Possibly the CB GOAT, never mind best of a generation.
In my opinion Ramos just may be the most over rated player of all time. He is a horrible defender. Caught out of position way too much, he's as dirty as it gets, and because of these two limitations, he is always one bad tackle away from a red card. How he constantly gets into FIFA's XI is a head scratcher to me. He is a good leader and comes up with some important goals for Real Madrid, but his main job is to be a defender and for me, he lacks at that part...

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
At the actual defending part or as an overall package in terms of contribution?

SharpshooterTom

Shocking that some people think Ramos is the GOAT defender, absolutely nowhere near. Here's some stats for you:

In 2018, Real Madrid have played 30 matches. In those 30 matches Real Madrid have only kept FIVE clean sheets. So thats 25 matches with no clean sheet.

And Ramos is at the heart of that defence. Has ever dawned on anyone that both Real Madrid/Barcelona have competent but average defences that are simply bailed out by INSANE attacking units?

In order for Real Madrid to win matches therefore they require to score at least 2 goals a game, because they're guaranteed to concede nearly every other match.

Might as well Victor Valdes the GOAT GK because he was at the heart of the Barcelona defence that won the 2009 & 2011 CL's.

Ramos is potentially a GOAT captain, but GOAT defender he is not. Massively overrated.

Reactions: Sultan

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
In his dreams maybe... That cnut Ramos is probably

Aboutreika18

I think @Gio's tier list from last season is pretty spot on:

For me for the defenders who peaked in the last 20 years (which takes Maldini out of the list):

1. Nesta
2. Thuram
3. Rio, Cannavaro, Godin, Thiago Silva
4. Campbell, Stam,
5. Lucio, Terry, Carvalho, Chiellini, Puyol, Montero, Ayala
6. Boateng, Ramos, Vidic

Very little between tiers 3 and 4. Tier 5 is full of players who were hugely influential but showed an occasional weakness in their game (eg brainfarts, high line, card-happy).

As for the best central defender at any one time, I'd go with:

2000-2005 Nesta
2005-2006 Cannavaro
2006-2008 Ferdinand
2008-2009 Vidic
2009-2012 Silva
2012-2016 Godin

Similar in style, but Puyol clearly proved himself more extensively at a higher level. Puyol also shone in a brutally high line which Carragher would never have coped with. In fairness Puyol took a few years to get going and was a bit of a laughing stock in the early 2000s. Carragher was very solid though and unlucky to have peaked alongside a stacked generation of English centre-halves.

Red Star One

Peak Boateng was a monster and I’m not sure if I’d have any other defender from last 20 years over him

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sergio Ramos easily. Possibly the CB GOAT, never mind best of a generation.
No chance.

Pique ane Pique are the best of this generation. But it's a poor generation defensively speaking. Two excellent players but highly doubt they're up their with the greatest defenders what with not being top class at the defending part.

You can be part of incredibly successful teams without being a 'greatest ever' candidate. Carrick, for example won something like 5 league titles in 7 years and won 1 CL and could have won 2 more CLs if not for arguably the greatest club team ever. Ramos has won a ridiculous 4 CL titles and 2 league titles in the last 8/9 (?) seasons. Superb footballers on both sides. But not 'lengendary' for me. Same with Pique. Part of a historically successful Barcelona team of course. But he's very good. Not incredible. IMO of course.