Is this going to be (or already is) the best WC in living memory?

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
2014 is probably the worst wc I've watched since 92. This world cup has everyone excited and we've seen some really good games.
Which game was really good? Argentina-France maybe, but Argentina was just terrible like the whole tournament. And going by reception and this thread, „everyone“ is a huge exaggeration.

Dolf

Pretty bad world cup so far if you ask me. I can count the good matches on one hand. I'd rather watch Germany - Spain than Russia - Croatia.

Foxbatt

what happened to all the " excitement" outside of the stadiums? I have not seen anyone mention this at all. Is it so calm and peaceful in Russia?

TheKaiser

2010 had the final emergence of Spain, the best German national team since 1990 (or 1998) and a Holland full of flair. This tournament is lacking any team that can match even one of them. It feels, much like @broccoli said, uninspired and lacking. Lack of quality and games decided by luck isn’t a sign of a good tournament for me.
Its the same for me. This World Cup is no doubt entertaining, because of its unpredictability, close games, late goals and the absence of a dominating team, but thats not a sign of quality and a good tournament in my opinion.

Last edited:

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
2014 is probably the worst wc I've watched since 92. This world cup has everyone excited and we've seen some really good games.
Well... it's a matter of opinion. Group stages of 2014 presented more good games than everything shown in 2002, 2006 and 2010 overall. I'd rather watch the whole 2018 to analyse how I would rate it in comparison with the other WCs, but I'm glad to see it's been entertaining in general.

MoskvaRed

what happened to all the " excitement" outside of the stadiums? I have not seen anyone mention this at all. Is it so calm and peaceful in Russia?
Yes, based on my recent visit lots of volunteers speaking English (quite impressive for Russia) and the police being unobtrusive and pleasant (even more impressive). Normal Russians being friendly to tourists (which is not unusual). As for the thugs, why would the Russian government allow them to ruin a huge PR success?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
This and 2002 compete for being the worst in my memory. Ye, there has been some excitement, but the standard of play is atrocious. There’s not one exciting team at this tournament and not one exciting player. I understand that some here have rose tinted glasses because of England’s performance (it’s the same for a lot of Germans and 2014, which also, while decent, wasn’t a brilliant World Cup) but objectively the tension of this World Cup steams from the fact a lot of the teams are just so poor...
I thought South Korea and Heung-Min were pretty exciting. Neuer was a bit disappointing in midfield, though.

jeff_goldblum

My knowledge only covers '98 to the present, but I'd say the group stages were comfortably the best ones I've ever seen. The knockouts have been solid in my opinion, plenty of drama. The failure of traditionally big teams has meant there's no chance of the final being a clash of the titans as it has been as previous tournaments but as semi-finals go Belgium - France is going to feature some of the very best players on the planet and England/Croatia making a World Cup final is a great story.

I'm sure many older viewers will cite older tournaments. Obviously I can't speak for atmosphere etc. but I've watched plenty of games from previous World Cups (it was a hobby of a few of us at uni) and I find the absence of the backpass rule makes a lot of them very difficult to watch. Also if you go back too far the lack of professionalism becomes very clear and the defending becomes truly shambolic, which sets the stages perfectly for great defenders and great attackers to create some truly iconic moments but also means that a huge proportion of the goals scored were ones I'd have gotten bollocked for as a defender in an under-12s team in the early 2000s. It goes both ways though, professional defensive drilling means the sort of stuff we loved the 2002 Brazil team for (tricks, flicks, outrageous individualism) is now largely ineffective.

Lord Zlatan

Seen every world cup since 78 and for pure entertainment and drama this is the best i can remember. 82 was fabulous mostly for Brazil but it was a much smaller and shorter tournament then with only 16 teams and no real knock out stage.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
This and 2002 compete for being the worst in my memory. Ye, there has been some excitement, but the standard of play is atrocious. There’s not one exciting team at this tournament and not one exciting player. I understand that some here have rose tinted glasses because of England’s performance (it’s the same for a lot of Germans and 2014, which also, while decent, wasn’t a brilliant World Cup) but objectively the tension of this World Cup steams from the fact a lot of the teams are just so poor...
You're right, there have been soon poor/underperforming teams... a couple spring to mind instantly.

Your post is an opinion, that's fine but do you not think there's been ONE exciting player? None of Modric, Hazard, Griezmann, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Rakatic, Golovin? Out of interest, what are you basing that on/comparing against? Surely not a Maradona or a (Brazilian) Ronaldo as thats a high bar to maintain?

You've got no enjoyment at all from the so called smaller nations making an impact? Russia, Japan, Korea? The way Iran got a draw?

Nothing from some of the goals scored? Nothing exciting about the late goals, the drama, the surprises?

(btw, before you suggest it, I'm NOT English. :))

meninred

When u say the best i am assuming interms of quality and not surprises.i dont think there was a standout player or team.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
When u say the best i am assuming interms of quality and not surprises.i dont think there was a standout player or team.
I think Belgium and Lukaku have been surprising, have offered great games in terms of entertainment and Lukaku is still in 4 goals and a good couple of games in the KO round. The fact that they're not being hyped tells me the media is just sad when they can't milk a story from the biggest teams (Belgium don't have the same coverage as Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France or Netherlands) or worse, there's a hint of racism in how Lukaku's performances is being overlooked.

But those things tend to happen, Uruguay, Villa and Forlan back in 2010 never got the recognition they deserved in that tournament, monster performances, but when it's about selling a story about James in 2014 or Robben and the Dutch team, everything gets magnified.

"Best" means whatever you/anyone wants it to mean.... it's all relative and there's no right or wrong.

Best individuals, best team, best goals, best surprises, best comebacks, best games, etc.

Personally, 82 and 86 will mean lots to me given my age at the time and the all-time games they included (Brazil Vs Italy in 82, France Vs Germany and England knockout games in 86). The nearest this WC has got is Spain Vs Portugal or France Vs Argentina... close but no cigar.

On the plus side, there's been some great goals, I've liked the big teams getting knocked out, the fans have been great (no hooliganism or stupid vuvuzuelas!) and despite all the worries, seems that Russia have put on a good show?

If not, fine.... what was and what could this WC do to move up your all-time WC rankings?

Ainu

I think Belgium and Lukaku have been surprising, have offered great games in terms of entertainment and Lukaku is still in 4 goals and a good couple of games in the KO round. The fact that they're not being hyped tells me the media is just sad when they can't milk a story from the biggest teams (Belgium don't have the same coverage as Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France or Netherlands) or worse, there's a hint of racism in how Lukaku's performances is being overlooked.

But those things tend to happen, Uruguay, Villa and Forlan back in 2010 never got the recognition they deserved in that tournament, monster performances, but when it's about selling a story about James in 2014 or Robben and the Dutch team, everything gets magnified.
I'm not sure we're not being hyped, but I do get the feeling we were hyped way more in previous years when we didn't deserve it. Weird how that goes.

ghagua

Results wise maybe, but for pure foot, it was the 1986 world cup for me. Great performances from some teams and some great, great goals.

Jim Beam

"Best" means whatever you/anyone wants it to mean.... it's all relative and there's no right or wrong.

Best individuals, best team, best goals, best surprises, best comebacks, best games, etc.

Personally, 82 and 86 will mean lots to me given my age at the time and the all-time games they included (Brazil Vs Italy in 82, France Vs Germany and England knockout games in 86). The nearest this WC has got is Spain Vs Portugal or France Vs Argentina... close but no cigar.

On the plus side, there's been some great goals, I've liked the big teams getting knocked out, the fans have been great (no hooliganism or stupid vuvuzuelas!) and despite all the worries, seems that Russia have put on a good show?

If not, fine.... what was and what could this WC do to move up your all-time WC rankings?
I'm pretty much with you. The level of quality certainly hasn't been the best, but it delivered in other segments such as atmosphere, some fantastic goals and close, exciting matches which went right down to the wire. Hardly any game except for England - Panama and Russia - Saudi was a blowout. I think overall it exceeded expectations and in the end brought what is most important to the fans and that is pure enjoyment.

I certainly don't consider this WC as the best one, but to put it among the worst one is truly baffling. It's been better and more entertaining than 2002, 2010 and 2014 imo. Hope that these last 4 games will deliver, but you know it's been good when you're thinking it is only 4 games left and then it is over.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
For me the two best are 1994 and 1998. (I remember from 1982 to current)

Some things prevent me from objectively rating other Cups higher. For instance West Germany-Austria in 1982 (also admittedly Italy defeating Brasil), Portugal-Netherlands in 2006, a few ref decisions in 2002 those unsporting embarrassing matches took away from the Cup experience for me. Right now I would put 2018 definitely above 2010 and 1990 and probably above 2014. Depending on how the Semis go it could be better than 1986.

Some truly memorable legendary performances from some players would elevate it into the top tier for me.

Jim Beam

For me the two best are 1994 and 1998.
Same here. 1994 doesn't get rated here but it was a brilliant tournament, would put it even slightly above 1998. Don't know why is that the case, maybe because of the final which was a bit of an anticlimax, but overall it was great and quality of football and individual performances in the knockout stages the best that I've seen.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
2010 and 2014 were shite imo.

1998 was my first love in terms of World Cups and this one is right up there. I've really enjoyed it. 2002 was really good too mainly caused I love watching Brazil Ronaldo.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
In my lifetime:

1994 - I was 3 years old. My older brother says that I watched it and liked Brazil, but I remember absolutely nothing, so I can't comment.
1998 - watched every match, my favorite was Argentina with Batistuta. Fond memories, but I think that I was so young to really be able to judge the quality.
2002 - watched every match, and I think it was a bit shit. Brazil was the only top team (maybe followed by England), my Argies crashed early, and South Korea were buying referees.
2006 - best in my lifetime. Italy, France, Argentina, Germany, Portugal, England, Holland and Brazil all had top quality teams stacked with world class player. A top team went out only when it faced an another top team. Italy eliminated France and Germany, France eliminated Portugal and Brazil, Germany eliminated Argentina, Portugal eliminated Holland and England. All matches when top teams faced each other were extremely competitive. So many fantastic players: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Kaka, Adriano, Zidane, Henry, Riquelme, Italian's impenetrable defense, C. Ronaldo, Figo, young Messi, Raul, Shevchenko, young Xavi and Iniesta, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Rooney, Ballack, RvN, etc etc. I think that the list of superstars was higher than ever as was the quality of matches. So many classics: the battle between Portugal and Holland, Portugal vs England, Germany vs Argentina, France vs Brazil, Italy vs Germany, Italy vs France and so on. And what a dramatic ending it was.
2010: pure shit. Atmosphere looked awful, fecking vuvuzelas, Holland playing anti-football, Spain boring everyone to death and winning the world cup by scoring only 8 goals. A young Germany team was the only inspiring thing in that world cup. And Ghana, loved them to bits but it wasn't written for them to reach the semis.
2014: quite an improvement, but nowhere as good as 2006. Germany was decent, Argentina was okayish but struggled to score, Holland were meh, and Brazil was so bad. The other teams aren't even worthy to be mentioned. Only classic is the famous 7-1.
2018: the anti-2006, but still very good. If 2006 was all about top teams and classics, 2018 is all about surprises. Every game is really unpredictable, any team can defeat any other team, top teams lose from nobodies etc etc. The quality of football might not be as high as in 2006, but the excitement is as big, and every match is interesting.

If I had to rank them, I would say:

2006 > 1998* = 2018 > 2014 = 2002 > 2010.

* might be just nostalgia.
I think all the German KO games in 2010 were great - the 2 counter-attacking demolition jobs (England and Argentina), the end-to-end 3rd place match (Uruguay), and even the Spain 1-0:I think that was Spain at their highest level, so totally dominant against a red-hot team.

Devil81

If we win the fecker it's the greatest since 66!!

If we get knocked out.... it's just another classic.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I'm not sure we're not being hyped, but I do get the feeling we were hyped way more in previous years when we didn't deserve it. Weird how that goes.
Maybe it's just because your story was more romantic before, "let's go Belgium, be the giant slayers, upset the whole tournament!".

Now that you've been real quality for some years, the giants have already fallen and yet you don't have the attention other teams get, so it's more like "Hey, there's Belgium, Yay~"

Results wise maybe, but for pure foot, it was the 1986 world cup for me. Great performances from some teams and some great, great goals.
This WC has far surpassed my expectations but I'd probably go 86 too.
  • Goals flying in (altitude?)
  • Argentinadona
  • Belgium (best team until current one?)
  • Denmark (with Laudrup and Elkjaer) :drool:
  • Soviet Union (still remember Belanovs goal)
  • France (not quite 84 but still.....)
  • Germany
  • Spain (Butragueno)
  • England ... from dog awful to half decent
  • Denmark thumping Uruguay
  • Spain thumping Denmark (that back pass? Olsen?)
  • Brazil v France .... O..... M...... G......!!
  • Belgium 4 - Soviet Union 3
  • Maradona v England
  • Maradona v Belgium
  • A good final and tbf, the chubby little cheat probably deserved it

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
You're right, there have been soon poor/underperforming teams... a couple spring to mind instantly.

Your post is an opinion, that's fine but do you not think there's been ONE exciting player? None of Modric, Hazard, Griezmann, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Rakatic, Golovin? Out of interest, what are you basing that on/comparing against? Surely not a Maradona or a (Brazilian) Ronaldo as thats a high bar to maintain?

You've got no enjoyment at all from the so called smaller nations making an impact? Russia, Japan, Korea? The way Iran got a draw?

Nothing from some of the goals scored? Nothing exciting about the late goals, the drama, the surprises?

(btw, before you suggest it, I'm NOT English. :))
None of the players you mentioned bar maybe the French are really putting in dominant performances like we have seen in the past few cups, Golovin was nice and all, but you have to be a heavy United fan to make him out as memorable even in recent history of world cups. Compare that to outstanding players of past world cups: 2002 Ballack and Ronaldo, 2006 Zidane and Cannavaro, 2010 Sneijder and Iniesta, 2014 Müller, Robben...when it comes to newcomers who took the world by storm, compare this to 2010 Müller and Özil, 2014 Rodriguez... I don’t know... do you really think Golovin belongs in that category? I‘m just not seeing it. The fact that bar France and Argentina none of the historic giants have clashed this tournament really doesn’t help.

South Korea got one win (while not actually playing well) in overtime against a Germany that fell apart, Russia had a shit group and won a penalty shootout. All the other nation you mentioned don’t compare well to what we have seen in the past few cups from underdogs. None of what is happening here is outstanding. Did you enjoy Ukraine in 2006? Do you even remember them?

None of the players you mentioned bar maybe the French are really putting in dominant performances like we have seen in the past few cups, Golovin was nice and all, but you have to be a heavy United fan to make him out as memorable even in recent history of world cups. Compare that to outstanding players of past world cups: 2002 Ballack and Ronaldo, 2006 Zidane and Cannavaro, 2010 Sneijder and Iniesta, 2014 Müller, Robben...when it comes to newcomers who took the world by storm, compare this to 2010 Müller and Özil, 2014 Rodriguez... I don’t know... do you really think Golovin belongs in that category? I‘m just not seeing it. The fact that bar France and Argentina none of the historic giants have clashed this tournament really doesn’t help.

South Korea got one win (while not actually playing well) in overtime against a Germany that fell apart, Russia had a shit group and won a penalty shootout. All the other nation you mentioned don’t compare well to what we have seen in the past few cups from underdogs. None of what is happening here is outstanding. Did you enjoy Ukraine in 2006? Do you even remember them?
Just curious, that's all... after you said "There’s not one exciting team at this tournament and not one exciting player".

I'm neutral so maybe I can just sit back and enjoy it more. Guess if you're German and your team are shite and come bottom of an easy group that Sweden tops (who England beat), it's a bummer?

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo

Really? At least, here in Brazil, Forlan, Villa, Sneijder, Schweinsteiger and Müller are all well remembered in that World Cup thanks to their excellent performances.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
In my lifetime:

1994 - I was 3 years old. My older brother says that I watched it and liked Brazil, but I remember absolutely nothing, so I can't comment.
1998 - watched every match, my favorite was Argentina with Batistuta. Fond memories, but I think that I was so young to really be able to judge the quality.
2002 - watched every match, and I think it was a bit shit. Brazil was the only top team (maybe followed by England), my Argies crashed early, and South Korea were buying referees.
2006 - best in my lifetime. Italy, France, Argentina, Germany, Portugal, England, Holland and Brazil all had top quality teams stacked with world class player. A top team went out only when it faced an another top team. Italy eliminated France and Germany, France eliminated Portugal and Brazil, Germany eliminated Argentina, Portugal eliminated Holland and England. All matches when top teams faced each other were extremely competitive. So many fantastic players: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Kaka, Adriano, Zidane, Henry, Riquelme, Italian's impenetrable defense, C. Ronaldo, Figo, young Messi, Raul, Shevchenko, young Xavi and Iniesta, Lampard, Beckham, Gerrard, Rooney, Ballack, RvN, etc etc. I think that the list of superstars was higher than ever as was the quality of matches. So many classics: the battle between Portugal and Holland, Portugal vs England, Germany vs Argentina, France vs Brazil, Italy vs Germany, Italy vs France and so on. And what a dramatic ending it was.
2010: pure shit. Atmosphere looked awful, fecking vuvuzelas, Holland playing anti-football, Spain boring everyone to death and winning the world cup by scoring only 8 goals. A young Germany team was the only inspiring thing in that world cup. And Ghana, loved them to bits but it wasn't written for them to reach the semis.
2014: quite an improvement, but nowhere as good as 2006. Germany was decent, Argentina was okayish but struggled to score, Holland were meh, and Brazil was so bad. The other teams aren't even worthy to be mentioned. Only classic is the famous 7-1.
2018: the anti-2006, but still very good. If 2006 was all about top teams and classics, 2018 is all about surprises. Every game is really unpredictable, any team can defeat any other team, top teams lose from nobodies etc etc. The quality of football might not be as high as in 2006, but the excitement is as big, and every match is interesting.

If I had to rank them, I would say:

2006 > 1998* = 2018 > 2014 = 2002 > 2010.

* might be just nostalgia.

I've always thought it was indisputable that Germany 2014 >>>>> Germany 2006. By the way, I easily rate Germany 2010-2014 above any 2006 squad in terms of performance.

Avoiding speaking about other teams, I'd say Brazil 2006 became just a ghost of their former selves and, apart from the third match, they never brought a real good performance that justifies their reputation.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Just curious, that's all... after you said "There’s not one exciting team at this tournament and not one exciting player".

I'm neutral so maybe I can just sit back and enjoy it more. Guess if you're German and your team are shite and come bottom of an easy group that Sweden tops (who England beat), it's a bummer?
EC 2004 is the best ever in my opinion, so no, that’s not really a part of it.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
good =/ entertaining.

I wouldn't call games good, where the teams almost exclusively score through corners, freekicks or penalties.

imho the quality is a bit shit. But its obviously been very entertaining.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
A by the numbers WC with some entertaining (wouldn't say classic) matches, no big legends or memorable teams so far and some very weird stats. For example, it has surpassed the previous WC with more penalties (2002) by more than 10, and it has more than 20% of the own goals converted in the entire history of the tournament.

Considering the ones i've seen from beggining to end it surpasses 2002 (lack of great teams plus plain theft in some KO rounds) and 2010 (the main story of this WC was a freaking octopus FFS), and that's pretty much it. I think 1998 was the best I've seen (lots of great/memorable teams and players plus a handful of classic matches) and then '06 and '14 have some credit (the first one for being full of classics from QF onwards and the second one for exactly the opposite, the amazing and dramatic matches until right before QF). '18 could still get closer to those two depending on the last rounds.