Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing about international football is that it's simpler, at the exception of Spain everyone plays a simple intuitive game with a little bit of old school basic tactics. Because everyone has roughly the same (limited) time when it comes to training and drilling players, there is a sort of level playing field.
So while it's a lower level to club Football, it's not a bad level, it's generally a good product and in my opinion one that is as good as the vast majority of bland robotic club Football games because talent has a bigger impact.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah I don't think you're far off. I think it being in the middle of the season is a big downer. Not just for the reasons you mention but most teams had literally about 4 days of training to prepare, and you can really see it with the amount of teams who've had no real gameplan or impetus to their play.

This is the thing with some of the upset games as well. Germany vs Japan for example. At the end I was like "well ok but they both looked really shite"...not like a normal WC upset where the smaller team shows surprising energy or quality. Same when Korea beat Portugal. It was a joke result and meant the worst team in the group progressed, and that was the general theme with most of the upsets. Although I'd except Morroco from this as they've been pretty good.

And it just doesn't feel like a world cup. Not just with the atmosphere there but back here as well. No one really cares as there's loads of other shite going on and it's nearly Christmas. Usually there'd be screens up everywhere, England flags on every other car, etc. Instead it's felt little more meaningful than a set of midweek league cup games.
Not my experience at all - everywhere round my way had World Cup on, lots put up screens specifically and dont usually show footy. Was packed for England matches as usual but losing in 1/4s obviously impacted the mood in the last week or so - we were there until the end last 2 tournaments.

But the winter World Cup is clearly a different vibe to a summer WC as no outdoor screenings, pub gardens etc. For me the feast of football was a nice bonus at a time of year that is pretty depressing as it gets dark/cold etc.

Still thought the atmosphere in Qatar looked as good as most recent editions - bigger representation from fans from Asia and Africa in particular.

On a football level I enjoyed it - there were enough upsets (Saudi, Australia, Japan, Morocco) to keep things interesting and best showing ever for an African country.

Last edited:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I can't agree, I think this French side is pretty average. England were better than them over the course of the game, and if you want to say France let them then it was a crap tactic because England were a penalty away from taking it to extra time. Morocco was their first clean sheet of the tournament. I don't think any side can call itself really high quality if they concede in nearly every game.
You don't know the meaning of "average", do you?
Actual average sides don't even qualify to the WC, like Norway,Scotland,Algeria,Nigeria,Peru,Colombia,Czech Republic, etc.

I wonder what do you think about Germany who didn't even get our of group stage, Spain who lost to Japan and got knocked out by Morocco, or Portugal who also got knocked by Morocco?

France have literally scored at least 2 goals in all their matches (bar the Tunisia game where they lined up an alternative string).

So many people here suffer from nostalgia syndrome overrating anything from the past...Brazil in 2002 didn't dominate any of their knockout games either, bar the final against a very mediocre german side that even was missing Ballack due to yellow cards...but it was 20 years ago, in a CRT television so it must been a very "dominant" "great" team i suppose.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
The thing about international football is that it's simpler, at the exception of Spain everyone plays a simple intuitive game with a little bit of old school basic tactics. Because everyone has roughly the same (limited) time when it comes to training and drilling players, there is a sort of level playing field.
So while it's a lower level to club Football, it's not a bad level, it's generally a good product and in my opinion one that is as good as the vast majority of bland robotic club Football games because talent has a bigger impact.
It's just people suffering from nostalgia.

They tend to overrate older Worlds Cups/Champions as the time passes, e.g Brazil in 20002 was far from being dominant even with all those big names, they struggled against England,Belgium, and Turkey, could only dominate a mediocre german side that was missing their best player due to yellow cards (Ballack).

World Cups look better when they were aired in CRT tv, and not in a flat screen, i guess.

stoinz

Thought was great. The quality of matches from the knockout stages were especially good. One thing I noticed was many teams now calmly playing out from the back rather than just hoofing the ball. Lost counts of the time I was feeling worried for the defence playing their way out of a press.

Morocco has been the surprise of this tournament, really impressed with their defence and the speed and accuracy of their transition. Just let down by their poor finishing. I don't remember Ziyech playing this for Chelsea,, look a totally different player.

Kinda sad to think that come next world cup, we may not see Modric, Neymar, Messi and some of the French stars.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
IMO it's been an OK World Cup, not great, not terrible. It started poorly, it developed spectacularly once the teams had enough time to settle there and get into second gear, and it's kinda faded away after the QF. I think it has been better than 2018 and way better than 2002 or 2010, but worse than 2006 or 2014 and way worse than 1998. Anyway, since the final hasn't been played yet, the way we'll remember this tournament could still change a lot.

slyadams

You don't know the meaning of "average", do you?
Actual average sides don't even qualify to the WC, like Norway,Scotland,Algeria,Nigeria,Peru,Colombia,Czech Republic, etc.
I think you're being overly pedantic here. Any use of the word "average" must, by definition, include the set of items amoungst which you are calculating. I admin I did not quiliafy the set, so in theory could inlucde every single football team in the world, but when discussing world cup finalists I would hope its evident we are talking about teams in a similar strata.
I wonder what do you think about Germany who didn't even get our of group stage, Spain who lost to Japan and got knocked out by Morocco, or Portugal who also got knocked by Morocco?
I think Germany have been pretty poor when measured against the level of both top international sides and their own standards. They were meek at the last Euros and finished bottom of their group at the WC in 2018. Spain, by their own high standards over the past 15 years or so, look like a team caught between two mindests and I reckon there's a fundamental change in approach coming.
France have literally scored at least 2 goals in all their matches (bar the Tunisia game where they lined up an alternative string).

So many people here suffer from nostalgia syndrome overrating anything from the past...Brazil in 2002 didn't dominate any of their knockout games either, bar the final against a very mediocre german side that even was missing Ballack due to yellow cards...but it was 20 years ago, in a CRT television so it must been a very "dominant" "great" team i suppose.
Not at all, in my opinion 2022 France would be comfortably beaten by 2018 France, 2014 Germany and 2010 Spain and I reckon 2006 Italy would deal with them as well. So by that rationale, they would be bottom of that group of teams, way below the average.
That's what everyone said about United when we were winning titles. It's probably the least important part of the game to dominate time wise, especially when you have the lead. Most top teams will find their extra gear if the opponent actually equalizes. Mbappe didn't even seem to do much all game other than a burst of speed here and there. I'm quite sure France would have fancied their own chances if the game turned into full on exiting end to end stuff, but why resort to that when you don't have to. England are a good team, they were always going to fight back after regrouping at the break.
That's certainly an opinion and gives the French the benefit of the doubt, I see it quite differently. I don't see a side who were coiled and could spring at will, I saw a side struggling to get out, produced one piece of pure quality in the second half and were the width of a post and a missed penalty away from extra time or being knocked out.

That's certainly an opinion and gives the French the benefit of the doubt, I see it quite differently. I don't see a side who were coiled and could spring at will, I saw a side struggling to get out, produced one piece of pure quality in the second half and were the width of a post and a missed penalty away from extra time or being knocked out.
I don't mean to overstate the way France played as some genius masterplan. I'll revise and say I think France felt that their chances of winning would drop dramatically if they let the game develop into end to end stuff. I don't think they could spring at will when England were dominating play, but I don't think this is a side which necessarily would have been mentally defeated by England equalizing. Confidence isn't a problem for this French team.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Keeps getting better.

Lecland07

This final nails it as the best for me. I don't think any final has even come close to this.

rotherham_red

This thread has aged like milk.

Best world cup in my lifetime. Has had everything: drama, quality, intrigue.

Awful circumstances surrounding it notwithstanding, of course.

Lecland07

The great thing about this world cup is that there wasn't a standout team, which has happened too many times in the past world cups. There really isn't much between Brazil, Argentina, England and France. Then you have teams like Croatia etc. that have some great players in them.

fck

Supports
Bayern
best final ever in my opinion. Best ever WC is a stretch though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fitting end to a very good tournament.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Nothing will beat this for awhile - especially with the 48 team bullshit

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That was probably the greatest game I've ever watched. And to have the greats in the game play to their very best, and it go down to pens... Iconic.

Vapor trail

Best tournament. It's been a shame of what's surrounded the tournament it with the contraversy but the football over-delivered. Rio Ferdinand made a good point about being fatigued at the end of the season and going to a world cup, the winter period seems to have kept teams refreshed throughout most of the rounds.