Film Is Titanic a Bad Film?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
From a film-making perspective it's extremely good in pretty much every department from acting to costume and prop/set design to sound and everything in between, but for the viewer at home all of that is sort of irrelevant behind the mediocre plot.
Have you considered simply reading Wikipedia plot summaries of movies instead of watching them?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Its too long. Would be a good TV series if it came out now...partly because I'd skip the first 4 episodes and just watch the boat sinky bit

ScholesyTheWise

very good in many ways to the "analytical viewer" but not enjoyable at all.

Similar to one of those books you have to read in high school, where you understand why it became a Classic but feck me are they a pain in the ass.

ScholesyTheWise

Any movie that has romance as the main plot is bad. Mainly because it's such a cliche that someone dies for someone they love or happy disney like endings. I don't need love in movies. Movies should be all action like Mortal Kombat.
Also, This.

making movies that revolve around romantic stories that end up being fruitful or however I should have described 2 people indeed ending up together, is extremely challenging.

Zen

How come trailers for 4k (re-)releases get maxed out at 1080p sometimes..... ?

Real Name

Its a bit sleezy but its ok.
The end kills it though, one of the most ridiculous movies end ever.
She has that door all for herself and he freezes to death although theres more than enough space for both.

Swedish_Plumber

She has that door all for herself and he freezes to death although theres more than enough space for both.
I don’t think it’s about space though. Sure this argument has been disproved a fair few times.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
In terms of visual effects, wardrobe and recreating the whole universe, I think it was well done. The ship wrecking scene was pretty much very well done.
Unfortunately the plot is too much one dimensional and sometimes over the top, which basically makes this one of those movies that you see once and it's done.

Drawfull

Cameron was interviewed a couple of weeks ago, and he's recently spent money proving that Jack couldn't have survived the scenario in any circumstance.

Guardian link

Real Name

Jokes aside sinking scenes are great but other than that its a boring, sleezy love story, not a movie I'd rewatch in any case.

We need an rvn

Went to see it in the cinema whilst at Uni - shows how old I am, shite! - and to be honest I thought it was brilliant. Perhaps watching it with the noise and big screen made a difference. Obvious story etc but the details of the replica and inside was brilliant.

But just a quick note on the bolded part - no way Leo could have survived. The door wouldn't hold the weight of both. James Cameron even funded a study to prove it all...

James Cameron ‘proves’ Jack couldn’t have survived Titanic sinking | Film | The Guardian

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Terrible movie, probably the worst ever made.

Drawfull

Went to see it in the cinema whilst at Uni - shows how old I am, shite! - and to be honest I thought it was brilliant. Perhaps watching it with the noise and big screen made a difference. Obvious story etc but the details of the replica and inside was brilliant.

But just a quick note on the bolded part - no way Leo could have survived. The door wouldn't hold the weight of both. James Cameron even funded a study to prove it all...

James Cameron ‘proves’ Jack couldn’t have survived Titanic sinking | Film | The Guardian
It's just JC saying so though: I've already given @Real Name that link, and they weren't convinced.

I too got dragged to the cinema back in the day, and it remains one of my absolute favourite movies. I must have seen it hundreds of times - and embarrassingly, maybe 10 of those were in the cinema (we went nightly for a couple of weeks on and off).

We need an rvn

It's just JC saying so though: I've already given @Real Name that link, and they weren't convinced.

I too got dragged to the cinema back in the day, and it remains one of my absolute favourite movies. I must have seen it hundreds of times - and embarrassingly, maybe 10 of those were in the cinema (we went nightly for a couple of weeks on and off).
:lol::lol: 10 is a bit excessive but bravo! I think I’m close to 5, incl on tv, but could watch it again

Drawfull

:lol::lol: 10 is a bit excessive but bravo! I think I’m close to 5, incl on tv, but could watch it again
The Mrs and I at the time had to be convinced to go the first time by another couple we went out socially with, but yeah. I think I liked it more than her, and my excuse was that I wanted to learn the piano from the drawing scene, to use in a rip of the theme song. I pretty much went full Titanic. :lol::nervous:

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I find it endlessly rewatchable from a technical point of view. We simply won’t ever see a production like it again but the bits that Cameron added to an already fascinating story are not good. Jack and Rose are a pair of shits.

Lebo

Titanic was a great Movie. Even better for me because it’s was 15 when I first saw the movie and had no knowledge of the original titanic story.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Titanic was a great Movie. Even better for me because it’s was 15 when I first saw the movie and had no knowledge of the original titanic story.
So basically you went to see Kate Winslett get her kit off!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure how you've not got to the bottom of this 25 years on pal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It’s a brilliant film. The work that went into it was amazing
Only saw a clip the other day where the people dropping down the vertical ship deck near the end, was actually filmed that way. People apparently got little injuries doing it. Had assumed there was total computer trickery or suchlike to it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
there is a documentary I think about the making of it. Cameron’s attention to detail is amazing
Definitely, saw a clip where someone in the background was some historical figure. But it was literally a 2second clip and no-one would have noticed on first view.