Film Is Titanic a Bad Film?

djdhrubs

Titanic is not a bad film. It's above average. If you think it's bad, you haven't watched enough movies! There are plenty of proper bad films out there.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Titanic is not a bad film. It's above average. If you think it's bad, you haven't watched enough movies! There are plenty of proper bad films out there.
Sure, but for me Titanic is just plain dull and boring. I know plenty of movies that I would call "worse" than Titanic, but which are much more entertaining to me and I would watch over it any day.

Zen

Or maybe you haven't watched enough..... good films and are used to mediocrity being your excellence?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
What on earth, how can she say she didn’t know how serious the trouble was untill she got to the country and thought that was normal yet later in the video she talks about climbing on shoulders to get to a boat and then watching the ship sink while in a lifeboat for 9 hours, how could that ever be a normal trip somewhere.

Interesting video though thanks for posting it

fergieisold

What on earth, how can she say she didn’t know how serious the trouble was untill she got to the country and thought that was normal yet later in the video she talks about climbing on shoulders to get to a boat and then watching the ship sink while in a lifeboat for 9 hours, how could that ever be a normal trip somewhere.

Interesting video though thanks for posting it
I thought the same! Great stories, the idea of the music playing as the ship is going down is amazing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I am surprised they haven't made a reboot in last few years, it seems like everything has a reboot these days.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They know that it's a terrible movie and that it should stay in the archives of entertainment.

Sweet Square

What’s great about this speech is everyone in the room clearly hated that titanic won

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I am surprised they haven't made a reboot in last few years, it seems like everything has a reboot these days.
Probably because it seems impossible to reboot. And it's not one of those films that younger audiences need to discover in a new coat of paint. They'll all have seen it anyway.

Chairman Steve

RedLetterMedia did a good review on it, which basically summarises it to be a technological masterpiece and James Cameron trying to hit every possible demographic for the box office returns and for Oscar bait.

amolbhatia50k

RedLetterMedia did a good review on it, which basically summarises it to be a technological masterpiece and James Cameron trying to hit every possible demographic for the box office returns and for Oscar bait.
It was a very good film. People just dislike it because it was a proper mainstream blockbuster film and the biggest of its era. In fact I'd say that a blockbuster film trying to hit Oscar metrics is better than today's big releases which are... marvel dross doing the same 500 times and people praising it each time.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
That right there quite likely is the reason why I found it incredibly dull and dare I say soulless? Production wise and technologically it's a masterpiece. But it's streamlined to death at the same time in my opinion. Also it's extremely schmalzig :lol:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Any movie that has romance as the main plot is bad. Mainly because it's such a cliche that someone dies for someone they love or happy disney like endings. I don't need love in movies. Movies should be all action like Mortal Kombat.

Red Stone

Would Titanic have been better as a TV drama that followed multiple characters through the days leading up to the ship departing and the voyage itself rather than just the one done-to-death "forbidden love" thing in the movie? The movie is phenomenal watching from the moment you see the iceberg because of how well it captures the chaos during the sinking, but it's pretty dull and unoriginal up until then.

From a film-making perspective it's extremely good in pretty much every department from acting to costume and prop/set design to sound and everything in between, but for the viewer at home all of that is sort of irrelevant behind the mediocre plot.

I think a Game of Thrones-esque style with multiple plotlines would have kept it more interesting up until the sinking, and might even add more drama to the sinking itself as you get to see characters you're invested in on different parts of the ship as shit truly hits the fan. In the movie there's obviously the Italian dude who gets crushed by the stack, the people in the ballroom when the big glass dome gives up, the captain in the wheelhouse and the guy dinging off the propeller all dying as various parts of the ship succumb to the water, but we never really care about those characters or see more than a few seconds of their catastrophic demise before the film moves on and forgets about them forever.

amolbhatia50k

Would Titanic have been better as a TV drama that followed multiple characters through the days leading up to the ship departing and the voyage itself rather than just the one done-to-death "forbidden love" thing in the movie? The movie is phenomenal watching from the moment you see the iceberg because of how well it captures the chaos during the sinking, but it's pretty dull and unoriginal up until then.

From a film-making perspective it's extremely good in pretty much every department from acting to costume and prop/set design to sound and everything in between, but for the viewer at home all of that is sort of irrelevant behind the mediocre plot.

I think a Game of Thrones-esque style with multiple plotlines would have kept it more interesting up until the sinking, and might even add more drama to the sinking itself as you get to see characters you're invested in on different parts of the ship as shit truly hits the fan. In the movie there's obviously the Italian dude who gets crushed by the stack, the people in the ballroom when the big glass dome gives up, the captain in the wheelhouse and the guy dinging off the propeller all dying as various parts of the ship succumb to the water, but we never really care about those characters or see more than a few seconds of their catastrophic demise before the film moves on and forgets about them forever.
No. Everything doesn't need to be a long drawn out saga with 50 hours of dialogue and slow-burn character building. Titanic was as iconic as it was because everything was quick, meaningful and connected with the audience. Also you say it is irrelevant for the viewer at home behind the mediocre plot but it's one of the most famous and successful movies of all time? Now I don't think it is some Godfather esque materpiece in acting and writing however even Godfather did not need to be a series and would have been lesser for it.

Ladron de redcafe

No. Everything doesn't need to be a long drawn out saga with 50 hours of dialogue and slow-burn character building. Titanic was as iconic as it was because everything was quick, meaningful and connected with the audience. Also you say it is irrelevant for the viewer at home behind the mediocre plot but it's one of the most famous and successful movies of all time? Now I don't think it is some Godfather esque materpiece in acting and writing however even Godfather did not need to be a series and would have been lesser for it.
I think I agree. A lot of modern tv dramas tend to be drawn out and as a result, get a bit stale. Titanic was a long movie (if I recall correctly, it had a run time of close to 3 hours), long enough to develop the characters and for it to have some emotional impact on the viewing audience.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
My parents took me to the cinema to watch this. I remember there's a scene where a random guys is falling, hits the boat's helix and just goes on spinning around until he hits the water. I giggled and my mum gave the "you're dead when we get home" look. My only memory of anything titanic related. I think the guy dies at the end.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
My parents took me to the cinema to watch this. I remember there's a scene where a random guys is falling, hits the boat's helix and just goes on spinning around until he hits the water. I giggled and my mum gave the "you're dead when we get home" look. My only memory of anything titanic related. I think the guy dies at the end.
What's funnier is that you know that it's called a 'helix'.

FattyFooty

Its great. Its really good.

The ship itself sinks allmost exactly how it did in real.

I know most of us to badasses for a lovestory, but its a good one.