Is today going to be the overriding memory of this season?

Betson

Journos are having a field day. They'll make sure no one will forget quickly. Incredible we have let it come to that.
It would be the same if we beat them by 7 , this kind of a result just should not happen at this level. It is a big news story. Its significance will lesson if we recover and do not let it derail our season. But it will always be one of the big talking points of the season no matter what happens.

UnitedWA

Football fans change expectancy far to easily, if anyone proposed that we would win the League Cup and finish 3rd(were are not there yet but we can still do it, realistically) we would of said it's an excellent season.
It would be an excellent season which in long terms will be forgotten, but this result won't. And that has nothing to do with the change of expectancy, because I still consider 3rd spot plus one cup a successful season, but 7:0 will stay in the books forever.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It would be an excellent season which in long terms will be forgotten, but this result won't. And that has nothing to do with the change of expectancy, because I still consider 3rd spot plus one cup a successful season, but 7:0 will stay in the books forever.
Let's put things differently, what would any Man Utd fan choose:
1. Draw at Anfield, finish 7th with no trophies.
2. Lose 7-0, finish 3rd, win the League Cup and still have a chance in the EL and FA Cup.

MUFC OK

It will definitely be one that lives in the memory, as were the 4-0 and 5-0 hammerings last season. Really is utterly embarrassing and unacceptable against our biggest rivals. Whether we like it or not, it's also become a pattern.

spiriticon

The fact that we're still talking about the 6-1 City defeat nearly 10 years ago just shows how long these results get remembered for.

simplyared

2. Lose 7-0, finish 3rd, win the League Cup and still have a chance in the EL and FA Cup.
I'd give back the Carabao cup rather than lose 7-0 to Liverpool. For the simple reason the Carabao cup will be forgotten in 2 yrs but that loss yesterday will not be forgotten.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd give back the Carabao cup rather than lose 7-0 to Liverpool. For the simple reason the Carabao cup will be forgotten in 2 yrs but that loss yesterday will not be forgotten.
Well I wouldn't, we got battered by Liverpool before without winning trophies, now we did it again and we won a League Cup(with a chance to win other 2).
Football is all about trophies at the end not about record scoring/conceding games, even if we talk about the most hated side by any Utd fan.

Skills

Snitch
Well I wouldn't, we got battered by Liverpool before without winning trophies, now we did it again and we won a League Cup(with a chance to win other 2).
Football is all about trophies at the end not about record scoring/conceding games, even if we talk about the most hated side by any Utd fan.
This is such a moronic take. You're saying that football is irrelevant to the other 80 odd clubs in the football pyramid who will probably never ever win a trophy.

Footballs all about memorable moments and games. Winning a trophy automatically gives you one, and the bigger the trophy is the bigger that moment is. But historic matches and results are just as memorable, and results like this are more memorable than a Carabao cup.

There's a reason people look back fondly at beating Maradonas Barcelona in 1984 - we didn't even win the fecking trophy that year, but for a lot of United fans that's one of the most memorable games of their lives.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Where's your poll thread from before?

No it wont be that season. As you yourself said we're still in 2 cups, it will be a bad, really bad historic result and they'll rub it in as much as they can but if we get top 4 and win a cup or 2 and better yet they dont get top 4 this result definitely wont define our season.

But I get what are you trying to do and prove.
Liverpool finished 2nd and we finished 7th. Yet we always defined that season of them around the Gerrard slip.
I expect the same reaction from them this time.

JB7

This is such a moronic take. You're saying that football is irrelevant to the other 80 odd clubs in the football pyramid who will probably never ever win a trophy.

Footballs all about memorable moments and games. Winning a trophy automatically gives you one, and the bigger the trophy is the bigger that moment is. But historic matches and results are just as memorable, and results like this are more memorable than a Carabao cup.

There's a reason people look back fondly at beating Maradonas Barcelona in 1984 - we didn't even win the fecking trophy that year, but for a lot of United fans that's one of the most memorable games of their lives.
Firstly, there's a lot more clubs than that in the football pyramid. Second, why won't they? Are there not league title trophies, play-off winner trophies, Papa Johns Trophy, FA Trophy, FA Vase, various league cups for lower level clubs? There's plenty of opportunities for lower league clubs at all level to win trophies and I'll tell you now you remember winning those trophies much more than you remember being battered.

Sir Erik ten Hag

So you would rather take Ole's caretaker season over a season with trophy because it had the night in Paris moment?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag

So by your perspective let's just ditch trophies altogether as they are unattainable by most of the teams right?
Football is all about the odd match here and there, 90 minutes of football and that's it ?

The most memorable moments and games are the ones that lead to winning/losing a trophy, no point in giving examples I'm sure you are intelligent enough to identify them by yourself.
For me at least a 90 min goal that leads to a 2-1 loss at Anfield when we need a draw to win the PL is far more painful than what we witnessed yesterday.

I'm sure Brazilians would give back 1 or 2 WC wins just to erase the result vs Germany right?

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The fact that we're still talking about the 6-1 City defeat nearly 10 years ago just shows how long these results get remembered for.
That more or less lost us the title on goal difference. That’s why.

Betson

It is just reality , it will be the single most memorable game of the season for most people unless we win the FA Cup/ Europa cup with the last kick of the game.

We can be in denial about it or just accept it , it will live long more in the memory than any Carabao cup win.

Still does not mean it will define our season , unless we let it. There are still cups and league position to play for that can make it a good season regardless of yesterday been one of not the darkest on field days in recent memory.

UnitedWA

Let's finish the season and then talk, but the best option would be in case we don't win more trophies: 1. draw at Anfield, top 4 finish and no Carabao cRup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What a stupid reason. Also why do you forget trophies we win!? That too after a 6 year wait. 6 fecking years

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d take any trophy over any single result. One is objectively more important than the other.

redsunited

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?
Not at all. United not winning a trophy for 6 years is talked about. No one cares that United won 9-0 against a team during that period.
If we could add FA cup or Europa league and finish in Top 4, it would be a hugely successful season. Liverpool not in top 4 would be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Pretty much feels wiped out at the moment.
Just wait until the final day of the season where Pool finish 5th, then you'll smile ear to ear and look at United finishing 3rd and holding the league and FA cup as a great season.

Loon

:lol:
That was ultimately costly in the worst possible way. It's not even the banter, that cost us a title and let them in.

I don't really think much about the Spurs 1-6 or even our own Arse 8-2 unless banter brings it.

Loon

:lol:
Just think we've never fogotten Slippy G to get back at them scousers. They're gonna rub our faces in that humiliation defeat for years to come.
It cost them so much more than humiliation. Look at the context. I mean, Madrid and City last year will hurt them forever.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Slumping into 4th after that isn’t enough anymore. Need to hit third in our stride and bring home another trophy.

Then, we need to hit the summer and continue to weed out the players that aren’t good enough and don’t have the right mentality.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'm still absolutely gutted I won't lie. :(

Still think how much worse it would feel if that result meant they went top of the league or clinched them the title. That would have been so much worse.

As it turns out whenever they bring it up we can respond by saying oh that season you came top 4 and won nothing?

Small mercies I know but it could always be worse.

JB7

I'm still absolutely gutted I won't lie. :(

Still think how much worse it would feel if that result meant they went top of the league or clinched them the title. That would have been so much worse.

As it turns out whenever they bring it up we can respond by saying oh that season you came top 4 and won nothing?

Small mercies I know but it could always be worse.
But it didn't. What a weird way to think.

Skills

Snitch
That was ultimately costly in the worst possible way. It's not even the banter, that cost us a title and let them in.

I don't really think much about the Spurs 1-6 or even our own Arse 8-2 unless banter brings it.
Precisely because they're Spurs and Arsenal... This is Liverpool.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
But it didn't. What a weird way to think.
That's the point. It still hurts like hell as I said but if that result helped them win the league it would be a lot worse.

Best they can do this season now is finish top 4 so it's 3pts is all they get for it.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Two thoughts:
(a) In a way, we packed a full months of low form and what not into a night.

(b) It is a bit dangerous to take for granted that we will bounce back. Playing Spanish teams in Spain is not easy. Newcastle away is not easy. Brentford at home is not easy.

Winnable? Most certainly. Should we win them? Like if we play Betis and Newcastle away and Brentford at home 10 times, 30 games in total, we "should" maybe have what, 20 wins, 8 draws and 2 losses. But with bad luck, more injuries, we are out of form, you know -- it is not games that are "hard" to not win. 2-3 bad results, a bunch of injuries, suspensions and what not, and we have to play without key players, then this club face adversity for real. The top 4 spot starts to be in danger.

fjred

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?
Remember the season Keegan's Newcastle put 5 past us one week then Southampton put 6 past us the next week i.e. 11 goals in 2 weeks. We won the league that season. We won't win it this year but the scousers will have nothing whilst we have one cup and a chance of 2 more! Well done Scousers because that's all they'll get!

Imo, it was mental exhaustion. This team is not yet as mentally tough as Fergie's teams. They are not used to the stress of week in and week out. It's a tough season and let's remember it took Fergie nearly 5 years to reach that stage.

Robertd0803

2 for me.

My defining memory of the season (so far) is celebrating the Carabao Cup win with my children, not a shit freak result at Anfield, or the Emptihad.

I was more pissed off with the away to Arsenal/Palace results than those two games.

Bertie Wooster

Yep. Absolutely the 2nd choice for me.

I'm going to remember this season for all kinds of reasons, not just 'one'. Plenty good - ETH's (and Casemiro and Martinez) arrival and our improvement; the League Cup win ending our trophy drought. And, hopefully, more trophy success to add to that. Some great victories over City, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc.

And, yeah, some bad - the Ronaldo incident; the heavy defeats to Brentford, City, Liverpool.

But I'd take the occasional heavy defeat any season if, at the end of it, we've still won one or more trophies and achieved our target for that season in the league. Far better that rather than avoiding any heavy defeats but missing out on any silverware or the league objective.

captaincantona

Think winning a cup treble will prove we are a very good side that had a complete mare in few games along they way…

On the other hand…if all we come out with is the Carabao Cup then people will rightly question our true quality and ETH has a much bigger weight on his shoulders.

it’s high stakes stuff - no doubt about it.