Is today going to be the overriding memory of this season?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I caught myself thinking about this game a few minutes ago after completely — and I mean it — forgetting that it had ever happened. There's certainly a defensive mechanism of sorts in action in my mind.

So, seeing how it works just a few hours after the game, I'd wager a guess that probably no, it's not going to be the overriding memory of this season. The early disasters against Brentford, Brighton and City are already discounted in my mind as a part of a growing process. But I do hope that ten Hag uses this game as a lesson to teach our players — turns out the good old crumbling United of the recent past is still there, under a layer of golden paint.

7:0 at Anfield... Jesus. With Casemiro, Varane & Martinez all on against a struggling Liverpool side. 7 fecking 0.

Pintu

Not if we win one or both of the Cups we are still competing for. That will be the real memory of the season.

Last edited:

PSV

You're never going to go "that Liverpool game" the way you would go "that Portsmouth game" or "that Porto game" because it was just a loss at the end of the day.

colombianmancunian

No. We just won a trophy and can win two more, while finishing top 3. Liverpool won’t even finish top four, this is their trophy.

AshRK

This shouldn't have happened but it did and this is something we have to live for our memory but the best way to erase it is by winning major trophies. League cup or FA cup won't erase that

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Handing them their mojo back is the most annoying about all of it. Saved their season. Well done.
They’ll get beaten by Madrid then City and Arsenal.

Abraxas

Nah. It's certainly more than just "3 points lost" because it tells us a lot about where we're at against quality opponents playing at an intensity. We couldn't handle it and couldn't respond in any way. So it's something we have to take something from and actually learn from it.

But compared to winning a trophy or two and getting back in the CL it is not that significant. Sure opposition fans can hold onto it but as long as we respond and achieve what we can from this season then overall it has gone massively in the right direction and that'll be the overriding memory. It's just raw right now.

C'est Moi Cantona

It'll define Liverpool's season that's for sure.

Come the end of the season for us we'll have a trophy, if not a couple more, CL football, and hopefully a new owner. Massive progress on the joke that was last season, and surely is what this season will be remembered for.

led_scholes

Give me three cups every year, and let us get battered 15-0 in a game. It will be our most succesful season since 2013, but of course it's hypothetical. This one was like the 1-6 vs City. Last year 5-0 and 4-0 were far worse; if Liverpool wanted, they could have scored 20 goals in those games. Today, was a freak result like the one in Anfield few days ago vs Real.

OrcaFat

I’m afraid it is. It is our worst ever defeat. It shouldn’t have happened.

So many good little things have happened but this is fecking Manchester United. We should be challenging for the league every single season. The few good things that have brought us a little closer to where we should be are not going to stick in the memory like this result today.

In a year where you win the league and, say, reach the UCL semi, a random smashing in a dead rubber when you rest your big guns would soon be forgotten. But not this, not in a season with the pissy league cup and top 4 (if we don’t collapse). The 7-0 thrashing by the scum will never be forgotten. The scum ffs. How could they let it happen?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Was the 5:0 defeat to Newcastle and 6:3 defeat to Southampton in the space of a week the overriding memory of that trophy winning season? feck no!

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Lets wait and see what's in the opening montage of Match of the Day next season.
Who the feck cares? It's what you find most memorable. What sad sack actually watches never mind pays attention to the opening of Match of the Day? :lol:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It depends how we bounce back. If the loss becomes more than a loss and affects the rest of our season, it will be the overriding memory. If we treat it as 3 point lost it wont, because this is the most promising team we've had in years and it's only Ten Haags debut season. It's his first season, and how it plays out, that will be the defining thing.

LARulz

Depends how the rest of the season goes
Basically. This game can make us go either way

It can make us lose all confidence but I am hoping that as it was a complete destruction, the players will wake the feck up. If we had lost 1-0 it would just be unlucky and team would continue as is. But this type of result makes the whole team look at themselves and realise it's not acceptable and a big wake up call anything can happen

Dannn411

If we fail to make the Champions League, it absolutely will be the overriding memory. Not even an FA cup AND a Carabao cup will make up for missing the CL next year. I would like to think that we are going to make the CL because of the team's performances for majority of the season but after today, I don't know what to think anymore. These players have proven that they still cannot be trusted and we still have so many tough games to play where things could still easily go left as they did today. Newcastle away, Brighton away, Spurs away, Chelsea, Brentford, West Ham away.

spiriticon

We better win the FA Cup and Europa League to wash this dirtstain of a memory away

OrcaFat

It won't be forgotten but it definitely will be forgiven.
I like this, I thinks it’s right. I’m not forgiving it in a hurry but one day I will, I’m sure. Forgotten? No. There is no way in hell I ever forget this shitty terrible day.

If we beat the scum 7-0 next time the memory will fade but, let’s face it, the scum won’t lie down like we did today. We’re never going to repay them for this.

Ricardo de la Vega

Need another cup to wash this stain away. Even so it will come back next year when we have Liverpool away.

OrcaFat

If we fail to make the Champions League, it absolutely will be the overriding memory. Not even an FA cup AND a Carabao cup will make up for missing the CL next year. I would like to think that we are going to make the CL because of the team's performances for majority of the season but after today, I don't know what to think anymore. These players have proven that they still cannot be trusted and we still have so many tough games to play where things could still easily go left as they did today. Newcastle away, Brighton away, Spurs away, Chelsea, Brentford, West Ham away.
Our players were like little children today. And you are right, Top 4 is not safe at all, god help us if it comes down to goal difference.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Our players were like little children today. And you are right, Top 4 is not safe at all, god help us if it comes down to goal difference.
Bugger off you fcuking child! Our players, have been flat out since Christmas. In that time they have won a cup, beaten Barcalona the top team in Spain and established themselves in the top 4.
It’s been more or less the same 14/15 players all along. They had a very bad day today but they have some credit in the bank. So has the manager.

redshaw

We can restore some faith if we close out top 4, even better if Pool miss out, they get their 30 years dopamine cup final win.

This could however signal too many games across multiple comps and be hard to bounce back from. If we end up 5th and drop out of both cups near the end and Pool end up top 4, revitalizing their players and kicking off Gakpo and Nunez season it could be the most embarrassing result and season capping off this ten year era and many recent maulings.

We're lucky Spurs lost as I felt before the Pool game we'd lose. Despite all the improvements we're not far from a poor Spurs team right now. Both Spurs and Pool and capable of getting top 4.

Europa has way too many games, we're at R16 first leg this week.

eire-red

How we finish the season after this will tell us a lot. Regardless, this will live long in my memory and hurt for a long time. Lifting the Carabao Cup seems like months ago already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you think this is the same as letting in 7 against Aston Villa?

People still bring up the 6-1 city from time to time
Who cares? This place is sounding as if it’s exclusively full of teenagers. Carabao cup is nothing, this result is forever and shit like that. Get a grip people.

AshRK

Who cares? This place is sounding as if it’s exclusively full of teenagers. Carabao cup is nothing, this result is forever and shit like that. Get a grip people.
Exactly. And funny had we lost the carabao they would have still asked for ETH to be sacked. It's like they themselves don't know what they want. I bet the same who want us to throw away europa and FA cup will moan when we actually lose to Betis or Fulham.

eire-red

I don't think anger and shock at our biggest defeat in almost a century to our local rivals is suggestive of adolescent behaviour. Carabao Cup win feels like an age ago. I can't remember the years we've won the League Cup, who we played, the scoreline etc... but 6-1 at home to City is etched into my brain, just like today will be.

In fact, brushing today off as not that big a deal to me comes across as more childish. Imagine EtH came out and downplayed this as "one of those days" or "it's just one game - a minor setback" etc. He'd be slaughtered.

TheLord

There were a lot of silly goals conceded. Yes, Liverpool were the better team, but certainly NOT as good as the scoreline suggests.

On the flip side, United aren't as good a team to be rumoured for the quadruple. At least some of the nonsensical talk will go away after this and we will win one meaningful Cup as we certainly aren't winning any more than that this season.

SAFMUTD

We better bounce back fast and in a big way. This type of results can completely derail all the progress ten Hag has made. Confidence will be really low so we need to get a couple of good results to build that confidence back otherwise we may enter an spiral of shitness.

Won't lie, this result broke something in me. We've been battered before, multiple times recently but those time there was always an excuse I made up. Either it was Ole the shitty manager, Ragnick and players lowering their guns, ten Hag process just starting, etc

But yesterday's it's something else. We came from a good string of results talking about warriors, mentality, how much progress we had made and yet we completely shit the bed. We didn't have loser players on the pitch like Lindelof, Maguire, McTominay, etc we had fighters in Lisandro and Casemiro quality in Varane and Shaw. We looked defensively solid on paper yet we showed nothing for it.

I don't know what the feck is wrong with this squad but there's something rotten that we crumble so fast under pressure. Too many humiliations to think they're just accidents.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Later it would become the main motivator for us to bring in Mbappe this summer.
Just like losing the title to City in 2012 became the main motivator for Fergie to get Van Persie at all costs.

eire-red

We better bounce back fast and in a big way. This type of results can completely derail all the progress ten Hag has made. Confidence will be really low so we need to get a couple of good results to build that confidence back otherwise we may enter an spiral of shitness.

Won't lie, this result broke something in me. We've been battered before, multiple times recently but those time there was always an excuse I made up. Either it was Ole the shitty manager, Rangnick and players lowering their guns, ten Hag process just starting, etc

But yesterday's it's something else. We came from a good string of results talking about warriors, mentality, how much progress we had made and yet we completely shit the bed. We didn't have loser players on the pitch like Lindelof, Maguire, McTominay, etc we had fighters in Lisandro and Casemiro quality in Varane and Shaw. We looked defensively solid on paper yet we showed nothing for it.

I don't know what the feck is wrong with this squad but there's something rotten that we crumble so fast under pressure. Too many humiliations to think they're just accidents.
Know exactly how you feel. With guys like Casemiro, Martinez, Varane and EtH at the helm, I thought this type of result would never happen again.

This was a complete capitulation and so divorced from what we have seen of this group over the past couple months. It has shaken the belief I had built up in this group without a doubt.