Is Zlatan holding us back at the moment?

Dante

Average bang
So by your logic Mourinho doesn't know much about football? Why don't you write him a letter to play Martial up top and then Rashford, Lingard, Rooney will suddenly start scoring loads, simple.

I didn't say Rooney was better, just that Martials form has been that bad this season that Mourinho thinks Rooney offers more at the moment.

:lol:
Do you think Rooney offers more than Martial?

Dante

Average bang
Struggles with second season syndrom aside, what do Martial and Rashford lack that these two provide?
Seeing as Zlatan is here for only a season or two, short term struggles have to be taken into account.

Martial and Rashford aren't as good as Walcott and Pedro at making late runs into the box and exploiting spaces in the channels between CB and FB.

Janson

Do you think Rooney offers more than Martial?
At this point in Rooneys career considering his struggles, Martial should always be ahead of him if you take last season into account. But on current form I would agree with Mourinho.

How do you rely on someone that's shown pretty much nothing all season let alone drop Zlatan in favour of him?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Martial and Rashford aren't as good as Walcott and Pedro at making late runs into the box and exploiting spaces in the channels between CB and FB.
Walcott and Pedro both have approx. 400 first team appearances in their careers, Lingard about a hundred & Rashford less than 50. How about we give a couple of our own academy players a bit more time to see how good they can become..? Edit: Looking at the context a little more, I understand what you’re saying. Don’t agree though, I’d rather have Lingard than Walcott although Walcott atm is more effective. Rashford will become a striker and while he’s struggled especially on the left wing, I think this experience will make him a better player in the future, fans have to be patient. Regarding Pedro, I’d much rather have Mata/Mkhi.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
At this point in Rooneys career considering his struggles, Martial should always be ahead of him if you take last season into account. But on current form I would agree with Mourinho.

How do you rely on someone that's shown pretty much nothing all season let alone drop Zlatan in favour of him?
It's a thread about hypotheticals.

Given the make up of the squad, I think a mobile CF would allow United to score more goals. With Zlatan up front, he gets a lot of good numbers for himself, but I do believe the way we play overall suffers as a result. Only 24 goals scored in the league tells the story. Someone like Saha would probably have got half the number of goals that Ibrahmiovic has bagged, but I reckon the team as a whole would have scored a greater total.

Can't complain as long as we're winning, though. There may be better ways to set ourselves up, but 3 points are 3 points.
I'm not saying we should drop anyone. 3 points is the important thing. You're being hypersensitive.

Dante

Average bang
Walcott and Pedro both have approx. 400 first team appearances in their careers, Lingard about a hundred & Rashford less than 50. How about we give a couple of our own academy players a bit more time to see how good they can become..?
Well, obviously. What's your point?

cazoran07

Mkhitaryan is a better player, but the latter two would be better fits alongside a target-man, imo.
Totally disagree we have Miki Martial Rashford id rather any of them before the massively overrated Walcott

Fully Fledged

We are too dependednt on him. If he is off, no one is ready to step in.
Any quality striker will only come in the summer.
I think that Mkhi T was showing the goalscoring form we need from the wings before Rose sat on him. If we can get somebody from the left to contribute the same then the goals will take care of themselves.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
But the fact we over rely on him to get the goals concern me a little bit. We've got another two strikers who's have been shoved as winger as Jose persistence to play Zlatan 90 minutes every single match.
Don't all teams rely on their top players?
Spurs rely on Kane. They don't sub him. They keep playing him.
Madrid rely on Ronaldo.
Barca rely on Suarez.
Bayern rely on Muller.
Dortmund on Aubameyang
Arsenal on Sanchez
MCFC on Aguero
...and so on.

Now obviously if the star player gets injured, the manager needs to reshuffle his players (which will inevitably make the team less effective), but when your star striker is available, you play him.
It would be lunacy for teams not to play their best players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't all teams rely on their top players?
Spurs rely on Kane. They don't sub him. They keep playing him.
Madrid rely on Ronaldo.
Barca rely on Suarez.
Bayern rely on Muller.

Dortmund on Aubameyang
Arsenal on Sanchez
MCFC on Aguero
...and so on.

Now obviously if the star player gets injured, the manager needs to reshuffle his players (which will inevitably make the team less effective), but when your star striker is available, you play him.
It would be lunacy for teams not to play their best players.
And with that you highlighted the difference between those 3 teams and the rest. They don't rely on any one player, because they have multiple game-winners who can take their place. Real Madrid don't struggle without cristiano ronaldo. Barcelona don't struggle without Messi, Bayern don't struggle without lewandowski. Take away the most important player from any other team, and they would struggle

Janson

It's a thread about hypotheticals.

I'm not saying we should drop anyone. 3 points is the important thing. You're being hypersensitive.
Of course, winning is all that matters, and we need the optimal configuration of players on the pitch to achieve that. People are free to speculate and find a solution to our goal scoring difficulties and I appreciate the fact that you have come up with a different theory but I can't help but feel it was inspired from playing alot of Fifa.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just give martial more freedom and let him play closer to zlatan. That's all you need to do

Dante

Average bang
Of course, winning is all that matters, and we need the optimal configuration of players on the pitch to achieve that. People are free to speculate and find a solution to our goal scoring difficulties and I appreciate the fact that you have come up with a different theory but I can't help but feel it was inspired from playing alot of Fifa.
I've not played a football game in about 10 years. You're proving to be even less insightful than you'd shown thus far. I didn't think it was possible.

I can't help but feel your fanboy agenda is blinded by nationalism.

Janson

I've not played a football game in about 10 years. I can't help but your fanboy agenda is blinded by nationalism.
Maybe you should take up gaming again, you would always have the best formations.:)

I don't see anyone agreeing with your reason to why we haven't scored that many goals this season? Are they all Swedes?

CG1010

It was a stupid thought and will be proven in the next few games when we will miss Zlatan. Rashford is good but his last two good performances have come against teams trying to attack us and leaving spaces behind for him to exploit. Now teams can simply pack their defense, and we will have to rely on the likes of Fellaini to do what Zlatan did for us.