Isak Hansen-Aarøen | signs for Werner Bremen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think leaving the club will be the best option for his career. I wish him all the best and I hope he does well wherever he goes, and perhaps one day if he develops into the player some of us think he can be, then he'll come back and play for us again.
He turns 20 this year so he desperately needs some form of first team football.

If the club believes in him, then surely we'll extend his contract and send him out on loan? Amrabat, McTominay and Donny have no future at the club. It's probably only a matter of time before Eriksen and Casemiro leave as well. Mount will probably get at least one more year, but nothing is sure. Gore might also fail.

There should be plenty of opportunities over the next few years if he's good enough. 29 year old Bruno and 18 year old Mainoo don't exactly scream "no chance".

jeepers

He turns 20 this year so he desperately needs some form of first team football.

If the club believes in him, then surely we'll extend his contract and send him out on loan? Amrabat, McTominay and Donny have no future at the club. It's probably only a matter of time before Eriksen and Casemiro leave as well. Mount will probably get at least one more year, but nothing is sure. Gore might also fail.

There should be plenty of opportunities over the next few years if he's good enough. 29 year old Bruno and 18 year old Mainoo don't exactly scream "no chance".
It is also up to Isak to accept our contract. Seems like his team or agent is trying to gauge interest by saying he's unhappy.

For the clubs rumoured to be interested in signing Isak, he could probably be part of the first team at Ajax but he will definitely be loaned out if he goes to Napoli/Atletico, so it's not as if he will definitely be in a better position if he leaves.

I hope Isak stays. I also hope with the new footballing structure in place, we start to source better loans for our talents as well as look for new partnerships similar to what we had with Antwerp and Fluminense in the past. I also really hope we won't see those three you mentioned beyond this season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s leaving.

I find many similarities with Mats Moller Dæhli. Hyped ridiculously highly which their performances never really matched and are physically weak and drift through matches. He’s technically talented but there is a hell of a lot more to football than that at the top level.

Ace of Spades

A little disappointed, but understandable overall. Young players need game time to develop, and a move to a place that will get him that is important.

Still, wish we could somehow make some money from these players as well, or at least make deals that will give us an edge if the players turns out good.

Thiagoal

He’s leaving.

I find many similarities with Mats Moller Dæhli. Hyped ridiculously highly which their performances never really matched and are physically weak and drift through matches. He’s technically talented but there is a hell of a lot more to football than that at the top level.
I think his talent is well above that of Mats Moller Daeli personally. I’m actually really shocked at how United have mis-managed him. He desperately needed a loan at the start of this season (he looks far more mature and strong) and would hopefully be thriving and then sign an extension with us. He’s a player that I think will explode in the next couple of years but sadly not with United!

Crimson King

He’s a player that I think will explode in the next couple of years but sadly not with United!
I've seen people say this about so many youngsters who've left the club before making a mark, and it's almost always never true.

Gordon S

A little disappointed, but understandable overall. Young players need game time to develop, and a move to a place that will get him that is important.

Still, wish we could somehow make some money from these players as well, or at least make deals that will give us an edge if the players turns out good.
I think we could get more money if we gave more minutes to these younger players. If we gave these players a decent chance to show what they can do in the first team setup. Considering our lack of fit quality players for midfield, for example, we could easily have squeezed in some minutes here and there for players like Gore, Hannibal, Isak.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think we could get more money if we gave more minutes to these younger players. If we gave these players a decent chance to show what they can do in the first team setup. Considering our lack of fit quality players for midfield, for example, we could easily have squeezed in some minutes here and there for players like Gore, Hannibal, Isak.
Loans are the best way to increase the value of young players who aren’t getting a look in. 30 mins or even a start in the first rounds of the league cup (favourable draw permitting) isn't going to move the needle at all.

We are terrible at this. We could have made good money on players like this and made some headway into our ffp mess. Just like our contracts and messy transfers this is another area where the club are way behind

In Rainbows

I think his talent is well above that of Mats Moller Daeli personally.
You have to remember that Daehli was already playing PL and Championship football at his age. He was also on Norway's national team too at that age. I don't think you can say his talent is above Daehli's unless Aaroen develops more. There is nothing that I can say about him that stands out more than Daehli. Daehli had really good technique too.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
We have seen players like Palmer, Trafford, Lavia and others from down the road all getting sold for 20m or so.

Maybe the City academy is simply better than others and the players more talented/better coached (this is probably true) but I can’t help but feel that someone like Isak would be in a similar position to those players if he were playing for City.

we have become so shit at managing the development of our academy players it is sad. Even if a player isn’t good enough to make it at United, there are ways to improve their sale value. Instead we simply leave them to rot and stagnate and then lose them on a free.

Dave_MUFC

We have seen players like Palmer, Trafford, Lavia and others from down the road all getting sold for 20m or so.

Maybe the City academy is simply better than others and the players more talented/better coached (this is probably true) but I can’t help but feel that someone like Isak would be in a similar position to those players if he were playing for City.

we have become so shit at managing the development of our academy players it is sad. Even if a player isn’t good enough to make it at United, there are ways to improve their sale value. Instead we simply leave them to rot and stagnate and then lose them on a free.
I think a major difference is that those players at City have had good loans or some first team appearances in Europe etc. To show that they have some first team experience, whereas our youngsters are just stuck in reserve football.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think a major difference is that those players at City have had good loans or some first team appearances in Europe etc. To show that they have some first team experience, whereas our youngsters are just stuck in reserve football.
I think the most major difference is that those players were/are better than this kid.

jeepers

It’s easier because they can just send their young talents to clubs within the City group, like Girona, etc etc. Also easier to integrate new players when there is a proper footballing system in place.

We stopped the football partnership (Antwerp, Fluminense, etc) programme for reasons only God knows. We don’t have a proper footballing structure. Apparently our youth teams are supposed to play the same football as the first team but it doesn’t seem like it when you actually watch them.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Odegaard was also playing pro football at 15 and looked much more talented at that age, he left and only played about 10 games for Real's first team. It's taken him 7/8 years of bouncing around with loans in different leagues and teams to really step it up and make a splash at Arsenal.

Not many players are good enough at 19 to play first team football in midfield in the PL. This kid looks talented, there really is only one way to see if he's good enough and that is to give him a chance. If he's not good enough yet, then loan him out and have a proper development plan in place for him to come back in a year or two and try again.
Daft comparison. Ødegaard at 15 was playing more or less every game in the top division and on technical ability he was on a different planet to both his teammates and opponents. At IHA's current age, Ødegaard was in his fourth senior season, three of those very impressive. The following season, at 20 he moved to Sociedad and was the 2nd best player after Messi in the league until the lockdown. Ended up on team of the year and played a key part in them winning the Copa.

What has IHA achieved as he's approaching 20? 100 mins of senior football and that was in the 2nd tier in Norway (semi-pro league). That's it.

One was at the right place at the wrong time. Trying to dispatch one of the greatest midfields ever who were going back-to-back-to-back in the CL and showing no signs of slowing down. The other? Nowhere near even getting a sniff when his midfield competition was McTominay and Ambrabat (with Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount and Mainoo injured).

This fanbase really needs to stop with the OTT romanticism. If by age 19-20 players are showing no signs of making it, get rid, with a buy-back clause in case they are late bloomers. Not this eternal loan nonsense. Tuanzebe was a United player until 25. Williams is still getting loans at 23. Henderson was here until 26. Lingard was here until 30 ffs. Let the ghost of Co92 go already.

Oranges038

Daft comparison. Ødegaard at 15 was playing more or less every game in the top division and on technical ability he was on a different planet to both his teammates and opponents. At IHA's current age, Ødegaard was in his fourth senior season, three of those very impressive. The following season, at 20 he moved to Sociedad and was the 2nd best player after Messi in the league until the lockdown. Ended up on team of the year and played a key part in them winning the Copa.

What has IHA achieved as he's approaching 20? 100 mins of senior football and that was in the 2nd tier in Norway (semi-pro league). That's it.

One was at the right place at the wrong time. Trying to dispatch one of the greatest midfields ever who were going back-to-back-to-back in the CL and showing no signs of slowing down. The other? Nowhere near even getting a sniff when his midfield competition was McTominay and Ambrabat (with Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount and Mainoo injured).

This fanbase really needs to stop with the OTT romanticism. If by age 19-20 players are showing no signs of making it, get rid, with a buy-back clause in case they are late bloomers. Not this eternal loan nonsense. Tuanzebe was a United player until 25. Williams is still getting loans at 23. Henderson was here until 26. Lingard was here until 30 ffs. Let the ghost of Co92 go already.
Not really. The point is, they both stepped up to a senior debut at a similar age, in more or less the same league. Regardless of how often they played, I already said Odegaard looked much more talented at that same age.

The big difference is one went to Spain and almost immediately was playing senior pro football with Madrid/Castilla and then went on loans at a decent level to play senior football and develop at other clubs. Which went a long way to him being a very good player in La Liga at 19/20

The other went back to playing youth football at Utd and hasn't really had a sniff at playing senior competitive football since either at the club or on loan.

So, I'm not really sure what the point of your rant is. I made a comparison in terms of their development trajectory and how going from playing senior football back to youth football for 3 years, didn't really do the lad any favours in terms of his development at all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not really. The point is, they both stepped up to a senior debut at a similar age, in more or less the same league. Regardless of how often they played, I already said Odegaard looked much more talented at that same age.

The big difference is one went to Spain and almost immediately was playing senior pro football with Madrid/Castilla and then went on loans at a decent level to play senior football and develop at other clubs. Which went a long way to him being a very good player in La Liga at 19/20

The other went back to playing youth football at Utd and hasn't really had a sniff at playing senior competitive football since either at the club or on loan.

So, I'm not really sure what the point of your rant is. I made a comparison in terms of their development trajectory and how going from playing senior football back to youth football for 3 years, didn't really do the lad any favours in terms of his development at all.
The didn't play in more or less the same league. One was amongst the best players in the top division at 15. The other got some token minutes as a sub in the second division.

Point of the rant is there isn't any comparison to be made on their trajectory because you're comparing apples with oranges (pardon the pun). One was an exceptional talent, the other wasn't.

Oranges038

The didn't play in more or less the same league. One was amongst the best players in the top division at 15. The other got some token minutes as a sub in the second division.

Point of the rant is there isn't any comparison to be made on their trajectory because you're comparing apples with oranges (pardon the pun). One was an exceptional talent, the other wasn't.
Of course there isn't, why would anyone compare 2 players who debuted at the same age in the same league structure. But one developed by continuing to play senior football, whilst the other went back to playing youth football for 3 years.

Talent levels aside, there is just no comparison to be made there at all.

Borninthe80ts

For me the issue with Isak has always been application. He is very talented on the ball but never really dominated games like I thought he could or should, even when playing well.
As much as I want to keep talented players I can see the benefits for them developing elsewhere. We have others in the youth teams who can provide what he does at the minute and I think have higher ceilings.
Good luck to him if he does leave.

Bojan Djordjic

Is there not just something a bit dodgy going on behind the scenes for those eye watering fees that City seem to be able to attract for their academy talent? Reasonably talented players but the fees are crazy for unproven players even Keepers. Perhaps one of City's fake shell companies sponsors a mid table club to the tune of €20mn, that club buys a city academy player with the same €20mn and gets a City academy star as a kicker while City accrue some kind of FFP benefit from the sale of a homegrown player. Have not researched this in the slightest so could be holes all over my theory but it just smells really fishy.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Probably because football twitter is infested with absolute melts who haven’t a clue about football but think they’re an authority.
So totally different from Redcafe then.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Of course there isn't, why would anyone compare 2 players who debuted at the same age in the same league structure. But one developed by continuing to play senior football, whilst the other went back to playing youth football for 3 years.

Talent levels aside, there is just no comparison to be made there at all.
There’s literally hundreds of kids all over the world who made senior debuts at a similar age to Odegaard and this kid. The vast majority of whom will never have a career a fraction as successful as Odegaard. Other than the fact they’re the same nationality what makes you think these two should have both had a similar career?

Stadjer

I don't know how Hansen Aaroen has gotten the twitter reputation of an absolute standout of our academy. He's never been that.
Same as how last summer Redcafe and Twitter went into a frenzy because Iqbal was sold for just 1 million. Iqbal was a super talent and going to become a world class player according to some. Somehow no better club than Utrecht came in and Iqbal hasnt even been playing much for Utrecht. It is just Manchester United fans on X and Redcafe who will overrate their own youth players. Those same people also dont want to accept that Manchester City just sells better or higher rated youth players and that is why Manchester City receive more money for their youth products.

Trequarista10

Same as how last summer Redcafe and Twitter went into a frenzy because Iqbal was sold for just 1 million. Iqbal was a super talent and going to become a world class player according to some. Somehow no better club than Utrecht came in and Iqbal hasnt even been playing much for Utrecht. It is just Manchester United fans on X and Redcafe who will overrate their own youth players. Those same people also dont want to accept that Manchester City just sells better or higher rated youth players and that is why Manchester City receive more money for their youth products.
The youth sub forum on here is very good, as most comments are made by people who actually watch the youth teams, and they give reasonable assessments. Iqbal was overhyped because he had a good 45 minutes in pre-season and all the other numpties formed an opinion.

Your take is probably largely correct but there's a bit more too it. For years we have been poor with managing young players. Some who just don't get loaned out to gain experience, stagnating their development and then ultimately leaving on a free. Others who have poorly thought out loans and end up not playing. Others given inflated wages after a few games in the first team, which makes it difficult to then sell them for a reasonable fee. Others are left to run their contracts down and leave on a free or cheaply. And we've seemingly had more than our fair share of talented youth players who have had some kind of attitude or application problem.

Man City aren't even a good example, they don't tend to sell academy players much more successfully than we do, nor have better academy players on the whole. The Palmer sale is an anomaly, he was a quqlity first team player who wanted to play more, and would have played more at every club other than City. Liverpool on the other hand, regularly seem to get £20m fees for dross like Brewster and Ibe. Chelsea use the loan system far more effectively. We can definitely make some improvements. We got reasonable fees for Garner and Elanga which is a positive sign. Maybe we could have got more, it's hard to say. Maybe including some additional add on clauses if they succeed would be a good idea.

lysglimt

Scout
Probably because football twitter is infested with absolute melts who haven’t a clue about football but think they’re an authority.
Or probably because some people has seen him play for Norway where he has been outstanding for several years - and the Norwegian teams he has played for have been of the highest quality. So when he attracts attention from several European topsides, that has probably more to do with his performances there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Or probably because some people has seen him play for Norway where he has been outstanding for several years - and the Norwegian teams he has played for have been of the highest quality. So when he attracts attention from several European topsides, that has probably more to do with his performances there.
Are you talking about the Norway youth teams? Wiki says he has no senior men’s team caps and he only played 7 times for a Norwegian club. Because if looking great for an international youth team is a criteria for being fast tracked to first team football at a big club then there’s a whole bunch of Irish teenagers we should have on our books.

Anyway, I’m not going to do what I was just slagging off and pretend to be an authority on something I know nothing about. But I do know that getting carried away about youth prospects who never amount to much is something United fans have done since forever. So it’s much more likely that’s what is happening here, rather than us letting a gem slip through our hands. But I’m not well informed enough to be certain about either scenario. Unlike said Twitter experts.

Last edited:

Oranges038

There’s literally hundreds of kids all over the world who made senior debuts at a similar age to Odegaard and this kid. The vast majority of whom will never have a career a fraction as successful as Odegaard. Other than the fact they’re the same nationality what makes you think these two should have both had a similar career?
I'm not saying they both should have a similar career, it's just about their development trajectory. This kid might not be good enough and that's fine, no issues there. But for me It's clear he has the talent to be a very good player, so it makes absolutely no sense to bring in a player who's already played at senior level and drop them back to youth football for 3/4 years without ever giving them the chance to develop further by playing more senior pro football.

It just seems like there is absolutely no plan to help develop such players at the club. No club link like Antwerp where they can be sent on loan. That goes for most of the young players at the club, mostly they go on loans to random clubs around the leagues and really don't seem to do well at all.

Wing Attack Plan R

I watched him at youth level, and thought he showed a sophistication levels above most of his peers. He reads the game exceptionally well, carries the ball and passes like Scholes. A loan would do him some good. I think he's a really good player.

khoazany

Iqbal hasn't played that much for Utrecht because of injuries, and the frustration was by the fact that ETH blocked his loan but almost didn't use him at all, then sell him the year after. I think it's reasonable. Obviously there are some people that will overhype him, that happens to almost every player.

For Hansen, he was blocked from playing on U19s Euro just for a few min in one pre-season game, then was kept at the club somewhat after the summer despite 0 plan to integrate him to the seniors. I mean if you don't think he has it in him to play for United senior team at the first place, why even doing this? Just loan him out or even sell. This half-ass ambiguous stuff is what frustrated the players and people around him.

He has gone up at least one-two gear in his performances for the U21s this season, which more or less invalidate the (previously valid) claim that he didn't impact games enough. That makes things more annoying.

You might have your own opinion on the player's level and potential, but I don't think this is the right management regardless.

I rate him and hope he goes on to fulfill his potential. Maybe Ajax is a good club for him (no idea if the interest is real though). Always have zero expectation for him to make it at United either way, we just don't play with this type of player in the first team. No idea why even bothered to recruit him at the first place. Angel was a better talent and couldn't crack it here as well. It's not like Hansen even developed badly at the club.

lysglimt

Scout
Are you talking about the Norway youth teams? Wiki says he has no senior men’s team caps and he only played 7 times for a Norwegian club. Because if looking great for an international youth team is a criteria for being fast tracked to first team football at a big club then there’s a whole bunch of Irish teenagers we should have on our books.

Anyway, I’m not going to do what I was just slagging off and pretend to be an authority on something I know nothing about. But I do know that getting carried away about youth prospects who never amount to much is something United fans have done since forever. So it’s much more likely that’s what is happening here, rather than us letting a gem slip through our hands. But I’m not well informed enough to be certain about either scenario. Unlike said Twitter experts.
Yes - should have been more precise - yes the Norwegian U-something :) He has played really well for them. What I question about IHA is his pace - and I know there are a bunch of really skilled midfielders who aren't that quick, but they compensate that by having an insane footballing brain, overview and skills on the ball - and he isn't quite there. And with Mainoo and Gore - I just can't see him getting a lot of chances

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yes - should have been more precise - yes the Norwegian U-something :) He has played really well for them. What I question about IHA is his pace - and I know there are a bunch of really skilled midfielders who aren't that quick, but they compensate that by having an insane footballing brain, overview and skills on the ball - and he isn't quite there. And with Mainoo and Gore - I just can't see him getting a lot of chances
Ok, sure. I’ve only ever watched him in a few underage games for United. In some he’s looked very good. In others, not so much.

I do generally trust the club’s call with these youngsters though. It’s not often they’re proved wrong over the years. Watching Pereira and Mengi does make me wonder if we’ve got less good at this recently but I wouldn’t be convinced about either of them.

Mind you, Jonny Evans’ performances this season don’t help my argument!

Status
Not open for further replies.