Isco

Robbie Boy

I thought he was fantastic last night. I never realised just how good he is at dribbling and his use of the ball and work rate were both excellent. Am I missing something with him? He doesn't seem to get too much praise but anytime I've seen him this season, I've been impressed.

What does his form mean for Bale when he returns?

Z_Wolf

I thought he was fantastic last night. I never realised just how good he is at dribbling and his use of the ball and work rate were both excellent. Am I missing something with him? He doesn't seem to get too much praise but anytime I've seen him this season, I've been impressed.

He is one of their best players imo. Everytime I've watched him this season, he's impressed me. Sadly, he doesn't play that often but there is a good chance he might displace Bale even after Bale comes back. But he can virtually play every attacking position including CM, so it doesn't have to Bale, can easily play in Modric's position for example.

I'd happily trade De Gea for him.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game. He should keep his starting spot even when Bale is fit.

Phenomenal player, as close to Iniesta as it gets.

buckooo1978

he's been back to his best for a while I think and was superb last night - he's been in and out of the team the last couple of seasons I think?

his role is exactly what you'd love to get from Mata in our team

no chance of signing him.... reckon he will become an integral part of the Real side for the next 4/5 years

James Peril

Isco is brilliant; his close control is magnificent, he moves forward between the lines and creates room for the others to exploit. Insane two-foot dribbling, his passing could become a bit better if he wants to reach the level of Iniesta/Silva (not that they are totally similar players mind). Isco is just 25 years old, he can easily play for Real Madrid the next five or six years. I guess up until now he has just been that guy who came from Malaga, not a shining star like Bale. However, the tables have turned and I really doubt Bale will start the Champions League-final even if he is fit. I am so glad Isco didn't end up at Arsenal or Liverpool over the last two years, they would have gotten a gem on the cheap - he most likely wouldn't have gone there anyway.

That is kind of the thing as well, I think Real Madrid are sick and tired of Bale's injuries - and with age, I guess it is only going to get worse. In his 4th season, Bale has played 30+ league games only once and over the last two seasons he has 42 league games in total. Do I want Bale at United if he cost 60M? Sure - but again, I think his injuries would only increase with age. No player gets a lot of injuries and then suddenly just stops getting them...

Reactions: Varun

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
he's been back to his best for a while I think and was superb last night - he's been in and out of the team the last couple of seasons I think?

his role is exactly what you'd love to get from Mata in our team

no chance of signing him.... reckon he will become an integral part of the Real side for the next 4/5 years
Mata is more of a second striker than a playmaking attacking midfielder like Isco.

Robbie Boy

He is one of their best players imo. Everytime I've watched him this season, he's impressed me. Sadly, he doesn't play that often but there is a good chance he might displace Bale even after Bale comes back. But he can virtually play every attacking position including CM, so it doesn't have to Bale, can easily play in Modric's position for example.

I'd happily trade De Gea for him.
Yeah definitely, he could take up the Modric role, although I don't think he has quite the same defensive abilities as Modric does. Just such a classy player.

@Vato Aye, watching him last night I thought his close control and ability to dribble in tight spaces definitely reminded me of Iniesta.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Heh. He's been in incredible form for a few months but yesterday wasn't one of his best games. Fell into his old habit of one extra touch on the ball, which killed off a couple chances, and made too many mistakes with the ball, epsecially misplaced passes

Was very useful and he scored and his workrate is good as always, but he can be much better and needs to be much better than yesterday. He's been good in the last 3 CL games, but not great.

The final step for him now is to take the performances from the league of the last 2 months into the CL and the big league games. Hopefully he will

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Isco on another level to Mata.. not even comparable.

GM K

Right now, he is better than Bale.

If Isco plays regularly, he will be a Balloon D'Or contender soon. Absolute genius of a midfield play.

GM K

When you watch Isco and Modric, then you understand why United's midfield is so average. Let's not even talk about the rest of the squad.

Those two are incredible ballers. They hardly lose the ball. They can beat players. Their passes can cut defenses. Their football IQ is extremely high. And yet, they work very hard on the pitch and defend well. Nothing like 'Oh, we re attacking players so burdening us with defensive work will limit us." I couldn't even count how many times they won back the ball yesterday.

Compare them to the United boys who lose the ball so easily and struggle to beat players in front of them. Pogba is unique though and he can comfortably fight for a shirt in that Madrid midfield. The problem is the cast around him. If he knew he was battling Isco and Modric for a shirt, I have a feeling his real quality will emerge.

Mata, Mikhi and Herrera are decent players but I don't see them in that Madrid team. They are not in Isco or Modric's class at all. Enough has been said about Fellaini.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Agreed with above, their degree of control on the game was incredible!

Robbie Boy

Heh. He's been in incredible form for a few months but yesterday wasn't one of his best games. Fell into his old habit of one extra touch on the ball, which killed off a couple chances, and made too many mistakes with the ball, epsecially misplaced passes

Was very useful and he scored and his workrate is good as always, but he can be much better and needs to be much better than yesterday. He's been good in the last 3 CL games, but not great.

The final step for him now is to take the performances from the league of the last 2 months into the CL and the big league games. Hopefully he will
Mental post. Your standards must be ridiculously high or maybe it's to do with the fact that we (United) are absolutely starved of a player of his quality that can move around the pitch so effortlessly with the ball and dictate a game.

I have looked at several ratings sites who all have him as the second best player on the pitch behind Modric. He was ridiculously good.

lawliet354

I don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game. He should keep his starting spot even when Bale is fit.

Phenomenal player, as close to Iniesta as it gets.
Did he play a lot for Spain in the WC qualifier?? I know Del Bosque doesn't play him a lot, did the new coach doesn't rate him either??

James Peril

Maybe, but I think in the case of Robben - he is being carefully played and rested because they have such a brilliant squad down in Bavaria.
He is in his 8th season at Bayern München and has played just under 60% of their league games on average. Around 20 games each season, in a 34 game season.
Those numbers would be critical for a United-player...

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
Did he play a lot for Spain in the WC qualifier?? I know Del Bosque doesn't play him a lot, did the new coach doesn't rate him either??
Thankfully the new coach rates him a lot. He was being called for the NT even when he spent a lot of time on the bench. Now he's playing much more and shining, so you guess the outcome.

He and Thiago will make up for a good Xaviesta replacement

AgentP

It irritates me that even Barca are linked to him but not us. He has just one year left on his contract too.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129

Don't know what game you were watchin

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
An incredible talent - rumours were that Spurs came pretty close to convincing him to sign last summer and I was incredibly excited at the prospect. No chance of getting him now though as he has rightly got regular first team football with Real.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has the potential to be a Ballon D'or winner imo.. ridiculous amounts of talent, but needs the faith of a manager and the right team in which to shine. Right now, he looks right at home but he needs to be in the team for a year or two consistently and start making a name for himself as the marquee playmaker in that side.

Robbie Boy

He has the potential to be a Ballon D'or winner imo.. ridiculous amounts of talent, but needs the faith of a manager and the right team in which to shine. Right now, he looks right at home but he needs to be in the team for a year or two consistently and start making a name for himself as the marquee playmaker in that side.
When Bale is back fit: Isco or Bale / or try accommodate both (don't know if that's possible)?

cyberman

He still has the habit of slowing down play though, he needs to move the ball that little bit quicker.
If he improves on that he'll be incredible but he's not there yet.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When Bale is back fit: Isco or Bale / or try accommodate both (don't know if that's possible)?
You can but against Juve, not sure if that would work.. Kroos or Modric would have to be dropped and I wouldn't want to tinker with that midfield.

I think tactically Bale is more useful and can grab you that big match goal, whereas I still feel Isco is finding his feet and isn't that Zidane level, match winning playmaker yet.

100% Bale v 100% Isco, I'd start Bale.. but in reality I think the former isn't going to be very fit and therefore I'd start with Isco and bring Bale on if Real are struggling to create chances.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

Ashley Cole said it best. He is a serious baller. (I know he said seriously).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Isco on another level to Mata.. not even comparable.
I dont think anyone is comparing their abilities, just doing a comparable based on how they play.

Robbie Boy

You can but against Juve, not sure if that would work.. Kroos or Modric would have to be dropped and I wouldn't want to tinker with that midfield.

I think tactically Bale is more useful and can grab you that big match goal, whereas I still feel Isco is finding his feet and isn't that Zidane level, match winning playmaker yet.

100% Bale v 100% Isco, I'd start Bale.. but in reality I think the former isn't going to be very fit and therefore I'd start with Isco and bring Bale on if Real are struggling to create chances.
Yeah pretty much how I see it, Bale just offers that something different whereas Isco is quite similar to Modric.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I dont think anyone is comparing their abilities, just doing a comparable based on how they play.
Even that is not comparable.

Mata is a final third playmaker, who has minimal ball carrying qualities, isn't that creative for a player who is supposed to a good passer and is generally quite passive and lacks the thrust on the ball, or can dictate the tempo of a game. He's more of a finisher and is unable to inject drive into a game.

Isco is more like a David Silva/Iniesta/Coutinho style player but much more capable of winning a game on his own due to his more complete attacking game. The game flows through him when he's on the ball, he can carry it so well, can beat 2 to 3 players at a time when he wants and can certainly dictate the tempo of a game. He shrugs off players for fun and slaloms through midfields. His passing is on another level to Mata and he will eventually blossom into the chief playmaker of a side and be tasked with crafting openings.

The issue with Isco has been earning a starting berth and maturing into the leader of a top side (doing it for U21's is one thing, but doing it for Real Madrid is another) but talent wise, position wise.. very different to a Mata.

Aza Boy

Pogba is unique though and he can comfortably fight for a shirt in that Madrid midfield
Sadly, I have to against your opinion mate...

He will slow down the tempo, the Pogba mate...Unless, he has Kross ability, Pogba will be rotten in Madrid Bench...sorry to say...

And have you look Madrid bench warmers mentality ??? Morata, Kovacic, Ascensio, and Vasquez ??? That's a winner mentality...if you have the chance give all your best...

A little pity, in the age of 23, as the most expensive players, his play should be more than this...And there's no excuse of saying this is his first full season in EPL...currently, he is still playing like a kid...while we are expecting a leader...

So, no...not this version of Pogba...may be if he can prove it next year and year a head..

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Even that is not comparable.

Mata is a final third playmaker, who has minimal ball carrying qualities, isn't that creative for a player who is supposed to a good passer and is generally quite passive and lacks the thrust on the ball, or can dictate the tempo of a game. He's more of a finisher and is unable to inject drive into a game.

Isco is more like a David Silva/Iniesta/Coutinho style player but much more capable of winning a game on his own due to his more complete attacking game. The game flows through him when he's on the ball, he can carry it so well, can beat 2 to 3 players at a time when he wants and can certainly dictate the tempo of a game. He shrugs off players for fun and slaloms through midfields. His passing is on another level to Mata and he will eventually blossom into the chief playmaker of a side and be tasked with crafting openings.

The issue with Isco has been earning a starting berth and maturing into the leader of a top side (doing it for U21's is one thing, but doing it for Real Madrid is another) but talent wise, position wise.. very different to a Mata.
I'm not saying the comparison was right or wrong and I agree Mata is a more offensive player, but they do have some stylistic similarities.