ISIS in Iraq and Syria

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
ISIS will be more than busy fighting Iran and other closer enemies for the foreseeable future. If we stay out they will leave us alone. If we go in now we will be entering a shitstorm with no good allies and no clear objective. It's madness.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
They will leave us alone for now. And the humanitarian issues aside stability in the area will just get worse which can't be good for almost anyone with the majority of the world oil controlled in the region.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We're moving away from mid-east oil. They only go after us because we meddle in the region.
57% of oil reserves and 40% of gas is still a huge amount and uncertainty and conflict can have a massive effect on the world economy.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I wonder what the Saudis make of the potential for military cooperation between the US and Iran?

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I may be late to the party… but as far as I know. it's ISIL. Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Or as us Lebanese call the turds, "Da'aesh"

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
ISIS aren't terrorists though and I doubt they want to attack America. They want to control their own country and cleanse it of opposing factions.

We leave them to fight it out and exhaust their weapons and manpower and then negotiate accordingly with the victors.
ISIL aren't terrorists? I would say guys that find it funny to kick around a bunch of human heads are pretty terror inducing...

Suli

"Do you get parents evening at uni?"
I may be late to the party… but as far as I know. it's ISIL. Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Or as us Lebanese call the turds, "Da'aesh"
Both are commonly used abbreviations.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
ISIL aren't terrorists? I would say guys that find it funny to kick around a bunch of human heads are pretty terror inducing...
Do you think they plan to hijack aircraft or plant bombs in the West? No, their plans are to take territory in a conventional manner. That is using soldiers and battlefield weapons. That they use horrific methods to deal with their prisoners is nothing to do with terrorism.

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
Do you think they plan to hijack aircraft or plant bombs in the West? No, their plans are to take territory in a conventional manner. That is using soldiers and battlefield weapons. That they use horrific methods to deal with their prisoners is nothing to do with terrorism.
If your definition of terrorism solely consists of flying planes into buildings then yes they are not terrorists. I am fairly certain most of what ISIL does can and should be classified as terrorism.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
They are a branch of Al-Qaeda, that later Al-Qaeda clashed with and they even considered them "too extreme". It's ok to call them terrorists.

Suli

How about suicide bombings, taking over shopping malls and killing people and massacring women and children in a village?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ah, it's not terrorism if it's not terrorizing the West I see. This is everything that is wrong with todays world.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
ISIS is primarily a coalition of militias. It's very similar to what happened in Bosnia with the religious and territorial motivations to ethnically cleanse areas and settle old scores. To brush them off as terrorists would be foolish as you would ignore the root causes of the problem.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
ISIS have committed worse terror attacks against the populations of Iraq and Syria than any group has ever committed against the West.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Ah, it's not terrorism if it's not terrorizing the West I see. This is everything that is wrong with todays world.
When you are looking at the West getting involved then you use western terms of reference.

ISIS have committed worse terror attacks against the populations of Iraq and Syria than any group have ever committed against the West.
Were the Nazis terrorists?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
When you are looking at the West getting involved then you use western terms of reference.

Were the Nazis terrorists?
Depends how you define terrorism I guess. Certainly the 9 million they killed in the holocaust weren't exactly combatants. I would define them as so but I know people in the West especially seem to have a large problem referring to governments, no matter how bad, as terrorists, so I guess a lot of people wouldn't agree.

The difference here is ISIS is not a state actor but a militia as you already outlined yourself and certainly at least a significant number of them are not Syrian or Iraqi. And many of their tactics are to strike immense fear into those they're fighting/ looking to subjugate.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Depends how you define terrorism I guess. Certainly the 9 million they killed in the holocaust weren't exactly combatants. I would define them as so but I know people in the West especially seem to have a large problem referring to governments, no matter how bad, as terrorists, so I guess a lot of people wouldn't agree.

The difference here is ISIS is not a state actor but a militia as you already outlined yourself and certainly at least a significant number of them are not Syrian or Iraqi. And many of their tactics are to strike immense fear into those they're fighting/ looking to subjugate.
Name me an army that hasn't sought to strike fear into the enemy. The majority of ISIS are Iraqis with legitimate grievances.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think defining them as terrorists or otherwise is irrelevant. This lot with money, territory and power has got to be a bloody terrible outcome.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I agree that this is probably inevitable, but it could be avoided if we play this right.
It strikes me that there are only shit outcomes from here on in. How long before Afghanistan returns to the middle ages yet again?

Suli

Name me an army that hasn't sought to strike fear into the enemy. The majority of ISIS are Iraqis with legitimate grievances.
That's not really true.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How many armies cleanse a quarter of a city's population, specifically target members of other groups even if not in conflict with it and regularly conduct mass killings of the other sect to attempt to bring about a sectarian conflict again.

Didn't you just call them a militia as well?

If the majority of them are Iraqi (which I don't think they are), what on earth have they been doing in Syria for the past 3 years then?

And none of this is said with the desire to see Western intervention yet again (other than perhaps to start wheeling Bush and Blair off to the Hague) or the inability to see that Iraqi Sunnis do have some legitimate grievances (though the flight of both Syrians and Iraqis in the flight of ISIS would perhaps suggest that the common man doesn't exactly seem too optimistic with their future under ISIS)

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How many armies cleanse a quarter of a city's population, specifically target members of other groups even if not in conflict with it and regularly conduct mass killings of the other sect to attempt to bring about a sectarian conflict again.

Didn't you just call them a militia as well?

If the majority of them are Iraqi (which I don't think they are), what on earth have they been doing in Syria for the past 3 years then?

And none of this is said with the desire to see Western intervention yet again (other than perhaps to start wheeling Bush and Blair off to the Hague) or the inability to see that Iraqi Sunnis do have some legitimate grievances (though the flight of both Syrians and Iraqis in the flight of ISIS would perhaps suggest that the common man doesn't exactly seem too optimistic with their future under ISIS)
Isn't that the accepted way of fighting in the ME?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The Iraqi leader Maliki has been a nightmare for the country. Some commentators say he is the cause, and has done and willing to commit massacres in order to keep himself and sections of his people in power. He is modelling himself into Syrian president Bashar al-Assad. Sunni Arab tribes are now siding with ISIS due to his policies. The tribes' alliance with the Iraqi army ended when they found Maliki had sectarian motives. It's amid this situation ISIS was to get support from the local Sunni tribes have allied with rebels in confrontations against the Iraqi forces.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is what happens when you let idiots like Bush run a country. Invade to get rid of the bad guy with no real plan after that.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
What's the deal with Shiite and Sunni muslims, why do they have to fight so badly? Isn't there like a Pope like figure in the Muslim clergy world that could broker a truce between them FFS