Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

foolsgold

The Houthis moving to the "find out" stage was a matter of time after the recent attacks on commercial shipping heading into the Red Sea. Attacking capitalism always draws a swift and painful response.

the_cliff

The UAE will probably get involved soon given that the Houthis have previously bombed Abu Dhabi in 2022.
UAE and Saudi are probably already involved but are keeping themselves anonymous for obvious reasons. If Bahrain is UAE and Saudi definitely are.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
UAE and Saudi are probably already involved but are keeping themselves anonymous for obvious reasons. If Bahrain is UAE and Saudi definitely are.
Agreed. The Saudis are probably contributing discretely so they don’t undercut their cease fire position with the Houthis.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Twitter accounts suggesting that the Houthis peacefully launched missiles and drones, hijacked ships, and took hostages and should face no consequences are wild. In addition to their attacks on civilian ships, which is a war crime, they've launched numerous attacks the US Navy that have thus far failed through incompetence, technical limitations, and/or US superiority of arms. There's no way that there would not be some response from the US and other nations. How far this goes will be up to Biden, but the Houthis may find that the allied forces are far more competent than the Saudis and Emiratis.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Let's hope it was a minor strike that quiets everything down. I hate how this has a potential to escalate in a very scary way.
Would be great but unlikely given Houthi overlords in Tehran will probably keep up the attacks since it’s their way of disrupting the region without actually committing Iranian troops to do it. Ditto with Hamas and Hezbollah - the common denominator with each of the groups is always Iran.

the_cliff

Let's hope it was a minor strike that quiets everything down. I hate how this has a potential to escalate in a very scary way.
They won't stop targeting Israeli ships in the red sea and now they'll target any British or American ships too (If they weren't already). This depends on how far the US and UK want to go.

The Houthi's have been in a civil war with the (Sunni) government inside Yemen that have their own army (Backed by UAE and Saudi) for a while now and there was a ceasefire declared around 6 months ago. Since then and because of the Houthi's actions they've been getting a lot more backing from the Sunni population and the overall population of Yemen. For them this is a win as it boosts their popularity and shows the Sunni's that their backers (The other Gulf states) were more than happy to let their country be attacked by foreigners.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
They won't stop targeting Israeli ships in the red sea and now they'll target any British or American ships too (If they weren't already). This depends on how far the US and UK want to go.

The Houthi's have been in a civil war with the (Sunni) government inside Yemen that have their own army (Backed by UAE and Saudi) for a while now and there was a ceasefire declared around 6 months ago. Since then and because of the Houthi's actions they've been getting a lot more backing from the Sunni population and the overall population of Yemen. For them this is a win as it boosts their popularity and shows the Sunni's that their backers (The other Gulf states) were more than happy to let their country be attacked by foreigners.
They've been attacking ships unrelated to Israel the whole time.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Why did this get moved to different thread and I got a notification for it? The guy making the statement is linking the attacks to Israel v Palestine (rightly or wrongly).

Anyway, I've seen enough posters I like get banned on political threads and I don't wanna get banned so I'll resume to reading and not posting.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
One thing we’ve definitively learned in the past decade is that the houthis are deterred by airstrikes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why did this get moved to different thread and I got a notification for it? The guy making the statement is linking the attacks to Israel v Palestine (rightly or wrongly).

Anyway, I've seen enough posters I like get banned on political threads and I don't wanna get banned so I'll resume to reading and not posting.
Because its related to a regional issue currently transpiring in Yemen that's being discussed in this thread.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think it was ever a case of Houthis only attacking Israeli ships, wasn't it attacking ships that were also doing business with Israel? Therefore could be a ship of any nationality.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Because its related to a regional issue currently transpiring in Yemen that's being discussed in this thread.
But the statement was taking about how they won't stop until Israel stops it's attack on Gaza? Anyway, I'll just stick out of the thread so no worries.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think it was ever a case of Houthis only attacking Israeli ships, wasn't it attacking ships that were also doing business with Israel? Therefore could be a ship of any nationality.
They're randomly attacking any ship they can get their hands on. So far, they attacked ships flagged to the Bahamas, Malta, France, the US, Cayman Islands, Panama, Hong Kong, Norway, Gabon, Marshall Islands, and Liberia. The Houthis don't have any way of knowing whether a ship is simply transiting the Suez or not and are attacking everyone, including military ships there to provide safe passage for container ships, tankers, and beyond.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Honest question: why does Iran like stirring the pot so much? Is there some future the leaders can see whereby destabilising the region even more somehow benefits Iran? Land it can seize, countries it can annex?

It seems to me like the leaders kind of just like being d*cks and f*cking things up, without putting any of their skin into the game.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
So are the Houthis deterred yet?
A few more dozen thousands of tons of bombs and thousands of civilians dead, and they will be destroyed. It just works, always did.

It was bound to happen though, given that they went for the wallet and weren't really picky on the ships they'd attack.

Kaos

Honest question: why does Iran like stirring the pot so much? Is there some future the leaders can see whereby destabilising the region even more somehow benefits Iran? Land it can seize, countries it can annex?

It seems to me like the leaders kind of just like being d*cks and f*cking things up, without putting any of their skin into the game.
Its not so much stirring the pot as it is to further their own regional goals and agenda. The same way the US uses Israel and various allies like Bahrain and Saudi to protect its hegemonic goals in the region, Iran does the same with its militia proxies in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen. I don't think there's any interest in them annexing territories (something they haven't done since the days of the Persian empire).

Simbo

Takes so doing to make The Saudi's look like they are on the right side of things, but fair play Houthi's!

slyadams

Its a massive miscalculation of the Houthis in Yemen to think that the West would allow the strait of Hormuz to be compromised in any way. Its a bizarre move to make, the only conclusion is they've been told to do it by their sponsors to achieve some wider goal because attacking boats of other nations, and compromising the flow of oil, was always going to trigger a response they've completely unable to respond to.

Ever since the first Gulf War they've been determined never to let themselves get in a position again where their neighbours are powerful enough to threaten them. They want instability across the whole region, a functioning, Westernised government nearby would be a disaster.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So are they allowed to bomb Yemen without declaring war, consulting Parliament or Congress?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So are they allowed to bomb Yemen without declaring war, consulting Parliament or Congress?
Yes, as long as its done as defensive reaction to something that was done to them, which it clearly was given all the Houthi attacks on military ships in international waters (never mind their attacks on civilian ships as well).