Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

Idxomer

They also targeted Military US ships for the first time according to the WSJ.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
In a way it's unfortunate that we have some Dem Senators who are capable of saying the right thing 90% of the time but who will likely never ever run for POTUS because those same words will now be used as leverage *against* them in a primary or general. Same clearly applies to the other side as well to a degree - though they are clearly much less accepting of dissent in the party.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In a way it's unfortunate that we have some Dem Senators who are capable of saying the right thing 90% of the time but who will likely never ever run for POTUS because those same words will now be used as leverage *against* them in a primary or general. Same clearly applies to the other side as well to a degree - though they are clearly much less accepting of dissent in the party.
Someone should explain to him that its a core role of the US Navy to protect global shipping routes. Its a free service the US provides to most other nations, so taking the lead role in responding to Houthi attacks is logically a part of that. Kaine is likely well aware of this given that he is a Senator of a very Navy centric state and is simply agitating because he wants Biden to confer with Congress about further attacks.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Someone should explain to him that its a core role of the US Navy to protect global shipping routes. Its free service the US provides to most other nations, so taking the lead role in responding to Houthi attacks is logically a part of that. Kaine is likely well aware of this given that he is a Senator of a very Navy centric state and is simply agitating because he wants Biden to confer with Congress about further attacks.
Oh for sure. That's how I interpreted it as well. And I think he has a point. The pendulum has clearly swung in favor of the Trump stance that America shouldn't have to pay for or provide these services by default. That's only why I think it is a good thing to see that Dems recognize more people are paying attention to it - regardless of whether it is the right thing to do.

Pintu

Someone should explain to him that its a core role of the US Navy to protect global shipping routes. Its a free service the US provides to most other nations, so taking the lead role in responding to Houthi attacks is logically a part of that. Kaine is likely well aware of this given that he is a Senator of a very Navy centric state and is simply agitating because he wants Biden to confer with Congress about further attacks.
But no body is going to think ”putting genuine pressure on Israel to stop the genocide is a more effective way of protecting those commercial ships”

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But no body is going to think ”putting genuine pressure on Israel to stop the genocide is a more effective way of protecting those commercial ships”
That's not how it works. The terrorist doesn't get to set the agenda be attacking random ships at sea. The power is always with with those who have superior weapons, so its the Houthis who have to back down or else risk getting clobbered.

Kaos

That's not how it works. The terrorist doesn't get to set the agenda be attacking random ships at sea. The power is always with with those who have superior weapons, so its the Houthis who have to back down or else risk getting clobbered.
I fear you're right. The Houthis should have just aligned themselves with the Axis of genocide, and solely targeted Russian or Iranian ships. Then they'd enjoy the full protection and immunity they'd be granted by the US and the UK.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I fear you're right. The Houthis should have just aligned themselves with the Axis of genocide, and solely targeted Russian or Iranian ships. Then they'd enjoy the full protection and immunity they'd be granted by the US and the UK.
Or simply not become an Iranian proxy that does Tehran's bidding. Ditto with the other two proxies, neither of which would exist without Iranian support.

Kaos

Or simply not become an Iranian proxy that does Tehran's bidding. Ditto with the other two proxies, neither of which would exist without Iranian support.
You know what wouldn't exist with US support? A colonial genocidal proxy. You can't play the moral high ground on this one I'm afraid. Hitting a few ships doesn't really compare to murdering scores of civilians.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You know what wouldn't exist with US support? A colonial genocidal proxy. You can't play the moral high ground on this one I'm afraid. Hitting a few ships doesn't really compare to murdering scores of civilians.
There's no comparison to be made. The Houthis are interfering with international shipping and will get hit hard in response. Something they should've considered before becoming Iran's useful idiots.

Kaos

There's no comparison to be made. The Houthis are interfering with international shipping and will get hit hard in response. Something they should've considered before becoming Iran's useful idiots.
That's precisely my point. There's no point comparing targeting shipping routes vs genociding a native population. Its just amusing listening to the US taking the moral position on this as the world's naval police, all the while helping a genocide unfold nearby.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's precisely my point. There's no point comparing targeting shipping routes vs genociding a native population. Its just amusing listening to the US taking the moral position on this as the world's naval police, all the while helping a genocide unfold nearby.
Its not a moral position - its simply an economic reality. The US is the only country with a Navy that can project global power and international shipping comprises about 80-90% of the movement of global goods. Wars happen all the time, but the world still need their goods to be delivered to all the nations who are relying on them.

Pintu

Yes the terrorist do set the Agneda. But it has to be our own genocidsl terrorist regime.

Raven

The terrorists seem to be setting the agenda just fine over in Gaza, which is what the houthis have said this is about. So it is the terrorists and their supporters (the US, the UK and Europe) who are currently setting the agenda.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pretty much, if Houthis were hitting Russian ships as a protest against The Ukraine war they'd be called heroes.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Don't waste your time, raoul always talks about these things in a completely amoral way. It's all about strength and might makes right.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Would love to hear how strong and mighty US look from Raoul having to air lift their aid into Gaza because their ally is blocking aid via land routes.

Raven

Would love to hear how strong and mighty US look from Raoul having to air lift their aid into Gaza because their ally is blocking aid via land routes.
Makes them look like an idiot parent with an out of control toddler making shit of the place and refusing to remove them from the situation or repremand them in anyway.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I mean, it doesn't take a degree in political science to see the value that the US navy brings to the world economy, and how that is an entirely separate fact from the Gazan situation.

But everything must now be viewed through a Gazan lens, so yeah, Genocide Joe for the loss.