Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What would Israel gain from killing more than a hundred people at a cemetary? Would cost them the support they have left. Much more likely to be ISIS.
An ISIS like group would also be a contender.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What would Israel gain from killing more than a hundred people at a cemetary? Would cost them the support they have left. Much more likely to be ISIS.
They've been killings hundreds of innocents every day for over two months now. Why would this specific event surprise you?

Jev

They've been killings hundreds of innocents every day for over two months now. Why would this specific event surprise you?
I’m not saying they wouldn’t do it because they’re so nice and compassionate. Strategically it would make zero sense for them to stage a meaningless terrorist attack in Iran.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not saying they wouldn’t do it because they’re so nice and compassionate. Strategically it would make zero sense for them to stage a meaningless terror attack in Iran.
If it causes internal problems with factions who oppose the iranian regime, it could make sense. Israel seems to want to expand the chaos at the moment.

Jev

If it causes internal problems with factions who oppose the iranian regime, it could make sense. Israel seems to want to expand the chaos at the moment.
They are poking the bear, yes, but the al-Arouri assassination was at least a targeted operation and entirely different. A blatant, unprovoked terrorist attack in Iran wouldn’t fly even with the US, and Israel can’t afford to lose their support if they want to reach their goals in Gaza.

Kaos

I’m not saying they wouldn’t do it because they’re so nice and compassionate. Strategically it would make zero sense for them to stage a meaningless terrorist attack in Iran.
Iran is an adversary, and they have no qualms killing civilians. I'm not saying they're the culprit but its not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Kaos

They are poking the bear, yes, but the al-Arouri assassination was at least a targeted operation and entirely different. A blatant, unprovoked terrorist attack in Iran wouldn’t fly even with the US, and Israel can’t afford to lose their support if they want to reach their goals in Gaza.
The US couldn't care less. If they're essentially greenlighting a genocide in Gaza they'll find a way to gaslight their way to absolving Israel too. Likely blaming Iran for it.

Jev

Iran is an adversary, and they have no qualms killing civilians. I'm not saying they're the culprit but its not beyond the realm of possibilities.
So far Israel have been testing the limits, such as yesterday in Beirut. To blow miles past the line only a day later just doesn’t make any sense.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm not saying it was Israel (I know no idea) but this war's start had an argyment raging over multiple days about whether or not Israel would dare to attack a hospital and commit war crimes by doing so.

Now multiple hospitals have been attacked and the line moves. They openly talk about ethnic cleaning and genocide and there is barely a peep from leaders in the West.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
They can just say they paid some faction to fight the government and they decided on a terrorist attack by themselves. It's so easy to find a way out of these things. The US doesn't give two fecks about a bunch of dead iranians.

Idxomer

So far Israel have been testing the limits, such as yesterday in Beirut. To blow miles past the line only a day later just doesn’t make any sense.
They wouldn't be the direct culprits if they were involved unlike the attack yesterday when there was no doubt it was them right away.

Giggsyking

Oh my sweet friend Jev, where should we begin :lol:

Suedesi

Amir

Oh my sweet friend Jev, where should we begin :lol:
Please begin somewhere... I'm not saying Israel wouldn't do that it if had something to gain. But what does it have to gain here?

Previous Mossad operations in Iran were far more surgical than just blowing bombs and killing a hundred random people.

Looking at Israeli media, yesterday it was clear to everone that Israel was behind what happened in Lebanon. The coverage is much different tonight, and those reporters do get inside information.

In fact, Haaret'z military correspondent - well experienced and connected - says it's NOT an Israeli job.

Last edited:

Suedesi

Please begin somewhere... I'm not saying Israel wouldn't do that it if had something to gain. But what does it have to gain here?

Previous Mossad operations in Iran were far more surgical than just blowing bombs and killing a hundred random people.

Looking at Israeli media, yesterday it was clear to everone that Israel was behind what happened in Lebanon. The coverage is much different tonight, and those reporters do get inside information.

In fact, Haaret'z military correspondent - well experienced and connected - says it's NOT an Israeli job.

In my view, Netanyahu can only maintain his hold on power by escalating the war. This could potentially involve taking actions that might unsettle Iran, and today's events is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In my view, Netanyahu can only maintain his hold on power by escalating the war. This could potentially involve taking actions that might unsettle Iran, and today's events is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Therein lies the conundrum. The quicker the hostilities end, the faster he will leave office as a result of his coalition collapsing and a probable inquest about the failure of his government and security apparatus being prepared for 10.7; not to mention his domestic legal exposure for other things he's been in legal hot water for. Therefore, he is incentivized to escalate rather than end the fighting. This would include ramping up a covert regional war against Iran and targeted assassinations of Hamas officials in the region.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Therein lies the conundrum. The quicker the hostilities end, the faster he will leave office as a result of his coalition collapsing and a probable inquest about the failure of his government and security apparatus being prepared for 10.7; not to mention his domestic legal exposure for other things he's been in legal hot water for. Therefore, he is incentivized to escalate rather than end the fighting. This would include ramping up a covert regional war against Iran and targeted assassinations of Hamas officials in the region.
Genocide and assassinations to stay in power?

Said it before but will say it again…. happens to most other nations’ leaders and theres global/political outrage.

My best hope for this tragic shitshow is that world support for Israel changes after this is over… but I doubt it

Suedesi

Yes. Most Israelis I know want peace and normalization with the region. After all, they'd rather do deals and hang in Dubai than serve in the IDF.
However, they also find themselves at the mercy of a far-right government and messianic individuals whose rigid religious fervor makes reasoning with difficult.

A fck't up situation for all involved.

Amir

I wouldn't put it past him to start something with Lebanon. But to go directly against Iran? That's too much even for him. That's WW3 stuff.

Also, while he's the PM, if he went too far, I'd expect the heads of security organizations to go against him. They've done it before.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I wouldn't put it past him to start something with Lebanon. But to go directly against Iran? That's too much even for him. That's WW3 stuff.

Also, while he's the PM, if he went too far, I'd expect the heads of security organizations to go against him. They've done it before.
Anything he did against Iran wouldn't have to be overt - it could be covert such as previous hits on their nuclear sites, cyber attacks etc.

Giggsyking

Should I begin with Sabra and Shatela? What did Israel gain here?

Then Israel can still be behind it and deny so they do not face the consequences.

Amir

Anything he did against Iran wouldn't have to be overt - it could be covert such as previous hits on their nuclear sites, cyber attacks etc.
But today's bombings were far from being covert...

Israel has operated and continues to operate against Iran, in Iran. Just not like that.

Amir

Should I begin with Sabra and Shatela? What did Israel gain here?

Then Israel can still be behind it and deny so they do not face the consequences.
Bloody hell, mate, how did you get from that to this? There's no connection between the two.

Seems like you have already made up your mind Israel is responsible for today.

Giggsyking

Bloody hell, mate, how did you get from that to this? There's no connection between the two.

Seems like you have already made up your mind Israel is responsible for today.
No, I did not say Israel is responsible for today. But I would not be surprised if it turns out to be them behind it, directly or indirectly. That was my point.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Lebanon has the right to defend itself.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
My feeling is that Israel is doing its best to escalate to the point where USA gets directly involved in war. At that point, they are expecting carte blanche to take whatever land they want, from whoever they want.

Amir

Do you blame me? I can not give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.
I expect everyone to strive for accuracy. Israel does plenty of shit things, not just through wars and military operations (selling weapons and spying equipment, to dictatorships as well, for instance). But you're taking it a little too far.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do we know it was Israel behind the bombings or what are you referring to?
Not at the moment, and there's a chance we may never know.

From a strictly tactical perspective, it has similarities to those used by Sunni insurgent groups in Iraq in the mid 2000s who were seeking to start a sectarian war. One explosion, wait for first responders to arrive to help the victims, then detonate another explosion nearby to maximize carnage.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Not at the moment, and there's a chance we may never know.

From a strictly tactical perspective, it has similarities to those used by Sunni insurgent groups in Iraq in the mid 2000s who were seeking to start a sectarian war. One explosion, wait for first responders to arrive to help the victims, then detonate another explosion nearby to maximize carnage.
I was just irritated at the post, that seemed to be so sure Israel was the culprit. Seems unnecessary and ideologically charged to blame them at this point. As you are pointing out, other groups could very well be the culprits. And considering Irans politics, there are quite many organisations and countries with an interest in all this, one of them being Israel.

Kaos

Have any groups claimed responsibility for the Iran bombings? The usual ISIS or AQ-affiliated cells are often quick to boast about their culpability whenever these sorts of acts happen.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was just irritated at the post, that seemed to be so sure Israel was the culprit. Seems unnecessary and ideologically charged to blame them at this point. As you are pointing out, other groups could very well be the culprits. And considering Irans politics, there are quite many organisations and countries with an interest in all this, one of them being Israel.
I immediately thought it was the Israelis as well, but upon further reflection, the style of the attack and the political value don't align with the Israeli MO. There's also a possibility of domestic anti-government forces being involved. We may however never know unless someone claims responsibility.