Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Thread

Kaos

I feel the difference this time is that the Israeli far right and possibly Netanyahu himself believes they now have carte blance to finally annex territory in the WB on account of Trumps blessing.

2cents

Scout
I feel the difference this time is that the Israeli far right and possibly Netanyahu himself believes they now have carte blance to finally annex territory in the WB on account of Trumps blessing.
That and Netanyahu’s right-wing allies may support introducing a law protecting him from indictment if he gives them what they want.

Zlatattack

There is no stopping Israel now. They will finish the job and wipe out the Palestinians within the next 50 years.

Anything short of military intervention won't stop them.

Amir

Wasn't really in doubt was it?
There was a slight possibility, but it's gone now with updated polls and early results.

Best hope now is the expected indictments against him will end his tenure, but he's bound to try and pass a law that will save his skin.

2cents

Scout
The latest - if this is accurate then one consolation is that Bennett-Shaked's New Right and Moshe Feiglin's Zehut have failed to pass the threshold, and the Otzma Yehudit candidate who was tagged onto The United Right list at number seven has also failed to get a seat. Seems a lot of votes went from the smaller right-wing parties to Likud.

2cents

Scout
And with the campaigning over, this guy does his seamless transition from racist far-right firebrand to reasonable statesman:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Well shit, but it seemed to be the most likely turnout all along. Interesting that some of the most prominent/talked about figures of the right aren't making the Knesset. Polling doubtful Lieberman made it, though.

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
@Amir any chance of a Bibi-Gantz Unity Government emerging from this? I’ve only seen it mentioned in passing, and obviously Netanyahu will be more comfortable in partnership with the right, but it seems like it would be a good opportunity to sideline the Haredim and their influence for a while. I don’t imagine Gantz went through all this just to sit in opposition.

Amir

@Amir any chance of a Bibi-Gantz Unity Government emerging from this? I’ve only seen it mentioned in passing, and obviously Netanyahu will be more comfortable in partnership with the right, but it seems like it would be a good opportunity to sideline the Haredim and their influence for a while. I don’t imagine Gantz went through all this just to sit in opposition.
There are reasons that could have made this a reality, such as Trump's upcoming peace deal with the Palestenians. It would be a lot more comfortable for Netanyahu to promote this within a Unity government, as the right wing parties would strongly oppose.

But Netanyahu will form his government with one thing in mind - the strong possibility he'll be facing three indictments within months. He'll either want to pass some sort of law that will get him off the hook, on in a worst case scenario for himself, go on trial while serving as prime minister (the law here doesn't force the PM to resign until he's found guilty, so it will take his coalition parties leaving the govenment to oust him). the religous parties and right wing parties would cater to his wishes, at least partially. Gantz will not allow him to pass any law and will insist on his leaving his role if indicted. So I can't see it happening.

Netanyahu was forced to sideline the religous parties once before, in his 2013 govenment. He tore it to shreds within a year and a half and declared new elections. They are fiercely loyal to him, espeially now that he's willing to give them whatever they want, to the detriment of the country - but to his own good. He won't let them go.

Amir

Well shit, but it seemed to be the most likely turnout all along. Interesting that some of the most prominent/talked about figures of the right aren't making the Knesset. Polling doubtful Lieberman made it, though.
Lieberman made it. And the "New right" party (idiot Bennett) may also make it eventually, depending on the absentee votes. We'll know tomorrow.

2cents

Scout
Gantz will not allow him to pass any law and will insist on his leaving his role if indicted
No way Gantz might back him on this and suck it up, for the greater good? He could potentially get a lot in return. The Haredim are gonna have Netanyahu by the balls and continue getting everything they want. So frustrating for everyone else.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Lieberman made it. And the "New right" party (idiot Bennett) may also make it eventually, depending on the absentee votes. We'll know tomorrow.
Would be a nice change to the scenery if he & Shaked would fail. Although there are probably more than enough of their ilk to fill the gap.

Edit: Ah, also get the Lieberman comment now. Was confused, as I didn't mean to say his Knesset entry is still doubtful (but that he made it despite being doubtful during pre-election polling). Bad English on my part.

Last edited:

Amir

No way Gantz might back him on this and suck it up, for the greater good? He could potentially get a lot in return. The Haredim are gonna have Netanyahu by the balls and continue getting everything they want. So frustrating for everyone else.
The greater good is a corrupt Prime Minister being ousted, not protected and remaining in his role.

I mean, I would support a unity govenment myself. But not at this price.

Last edited:

2cents

Scout
Bennett and Shaked squeezed in by 0.01%.

2cents

Scout
Oh wait:

2cents

Scout
Details of Trump’s plan have leaked:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Details of Trump’s plan have leaked:

If true, no Palestinian state, land grab, seems to enshrine apartheid and a 'land lease' deal that would be incredibly politically sensitive in Egypt. Though Sisi has such a tight hold, he could probably do whatever he wants to do.

I'm not sure I understand the incentive for the Americans to 'join' the war in Gaza, the Israelis are more than capable of doing whatever the hell they want to do in Gaza. If they want to just do airstrikes, if they want to go back in and re-occupy, if they want to destroy the entire strip, their military can do all of that already.

I can't imagine the two main Arab actors here will accept and to be completely frank, I'm not sure such a right wing government would accept a highway over Israel either. Though I wonder if they'd accept knowing full well the Palestinians never would.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There is no stopping Israel now. They will finish the job and wipe out the Palestinians within the next 50 years.

Anything short of military intervention won't stop them.
Doubt that even military intervention would stop them.
They have and are acquiring the very best hardware including the F35 jet. They are leaders in drone technology as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I love the replies. Too many to link, so I'll copy paste

What a riot! Cancel school, get your own kids killed. Point the finger at Israel. Fire rockets. Love it. Works every single time. Cameras ready? And goooo...

Show no mercy to violent law breakers. SHALOM

Sickening and an abuse of parental authority.

Participate as human shields

Guy's be ready for hunting.....

A Child is No Longer a child When They are Carrying a Weapon. I don't want to be the Bad Guy But Terrorist of All Kind have been Known for Using Children to Harm Others the Moment that We Realize that We Will be Able to Fight these Terrorist on Their Own Ground

If they cared about their children they would keep them far from riots.

I hope their friends in Washington and labour can call them to order or their bosses in Iran and Qatar

The 2 best ones:

"The Oriental doesn’t put the same high price on life as does the Westerner. Life is plentiful, life is cheap in the Orient."

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
German Parliament to Pass Motion Condemning BDS as anti-Semitic
In first for major European parliament, the move urges government not to fund or support any groups that 'question Israel's right to exist'
In a capitalist democracy, you can make your voice heard through your wallet!
No, no, not like this though.

2cents

Scout
Netanyahu has just 48 hours left to form a government, and seems like Lieberman is gonna drag it til the last second:

Amir

It doesn't have to be a new round of elections, as the law states the president can allow another member of the Knesset to try and form a government, but Netanyahu is making sure no other person will get the chance to do it.

2cents

Scout
Arab MK taking the piss out of Netanyahu’s desperation: