Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The Palestinian issue was specifically cited by MBS in the interview I posted a few pages ago. That’s not to say the deal would’ve resulted in a two state solution of course, but it would obviously be a major consideration from the Saudi side to gain concessions from the Israelis so that MBS could improve his regional cachet as the guy who moved the needle on the issue.
Yes but that has been the Saudi position for more than twenty years. The question here is Netanyahu’s willingness to amend an ideological position he’s consistently held to his entire life, through turbulent wars and politics. It’s not impossible that he may do so but we have no evidence of it as yet, and no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt as things stand.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The Palestinian issue was specifically cited by MBS in the interview I posted a few pages ago. That’s not to say the deal would’ve resulted in a two state solution of course, but it would obviously be a major consideration from the Saudi side to gain concessions from the Israelis so that MBS could improve his regional cachet as the guy who moved the needle on the issue.
My guess would be that this a major consieration on his part, the Saudi's are trying to rehabilitate their image and transform the country in to a business and tourist hub, getting concessions from Israel would help that goal immensely

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's a bullshit statement

He has the power to force Israel to halt until operations can be conducted in a decent manner, and civilians of Gaza are protected.
He actually doesn't, but even if he did, he wouldn't given that the American public are firmly behind supporting Israel here. Therefore, an attempt by Biden to stop the Israelis from reacting would be a disaster for him back home.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Thats an interesting tweet. Israel gov wont be happy with that. Hopefully it will help get humanitarian aid into gaza.
Israel can dislike it as much as they want. What they gonna do? They need US more than a child needs a father.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Guess I'm missing something - why would he be prosecuted for that tweet?
I quoted the wrong post? It was about a german saying that he was ashamed about the fact that criticism of Israel was illegal in Germany or something to that effect.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't get these things and it's the same with the very similar backtracking from Macron. Why are they backtracking? We know what they said, we know how they act and how they will act, so why do they think that they are fooling anyone? That also applies to the EU, who made a 180 on their initial response and are acting as if they were shocked by how things are moving.

They are really convinced that people are complete imbeciles, aren't they?

ScholesyTheWise

I don’t understand why they would bring them in to Israel.

From what Hamas captives told Israeli investigators- the plan was much broader than what they did achieve, as remarkable as that was for them.
They were supposed to cause havoc also in central Israel, had they seen their plan through.

For this to happen, I presume, you're going to need a few of your men who will make it this far out of Gaza,
to have some very very serious weapons with them that they could shoot from afar, aiming at shopping malls, skyscrapers, etc.

I guess that's what the more advanced weaponry was for.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
At a time when the Gaza population supports Hamas and the Israeli population supports it's government supporting either is tantamount to supporting the other. (And I don't support either 100%, only to widely varying %).

Do we really want to go there? It's obviously not true in a million different ways.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I don't get these things and it's the same with the very similar backtracking from Macron. Why are they backtracking? We know what they said, we know how they act and how they will act, so why do they think that they are fooling anyone? That also applies to the EU, who made a 180 on their initial response and are acting as if they were shocked by how things are moving.

I don't think they realized how far it would have gone and how many civilians would suffer as a result of the inhumane treatment from the IDF. This is just damage control. Fake outrage now is just for show so that they're not implicated but the damage is already done. There's no rewind button and there's nothing they can say that can repair the damage.

JagUTD

Fareed Zakaria explained that the Israeli-Saudi deal is likely to still go ahead in the future but that MBS must keep the religious fundamentalists off his back for now.
Shouldn't be much of an issue if he follows the Saudi mantra of separating head from body.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think they realized how far it would have gone and how many civilians would suffer as a result of the inhumane treatment from the IDF. This is just damage control. Fake outrage now is just for show so that they're not implicated but the damage is already done. There's no rewind button and there's nothing they can say that can repair the damage.
I think that they knew how it would go but more importantly if you give your unconditional support, you have a duty to consider the worst outcome. So it's laughable that it took this lot 2 days to change their communication.

ScholesyTheWise

I'm suddenly intrigued by something-

do we have any lawyers on board?

I'm seeing so many Facebook posts/tweets by Israelis calling for Bibi's head,
calling him a son of a bitch, wishing death on him...

I don't have social media so I didn't join the party, but I can imagine myself writing something similar.

Can a politician sue me for calling them a son of a bitch (when they are clearly not it)? and actually win in court?
If it's on my Facebook then my name will be there, and my picture will likely be there...

won't that be slander? libel? something to that effect?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
These border skirmishes with Hezbollah don't seem to go away.

IDF spokesman Hagari: "Hezbollah is working under the direction of Iran to escalate the situation in the north and challenge Israel in the war in Gaza"

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I'm suddenly intrigued by something-

do we have any lawyers on board?

I'm seeing so many Facebook posts/tweets by Israelis calling for Bibi's head,
calling him a son of a bitch, wishing death on him...

I don't have social media so I didn't join the party, but I can imagine myself writing something similar.

Can a politician sue me for calling them a son of a bitch (when they are clearly not it)? and actually win in court?
If it's on my Facebook then my name will be there, and my picture will likely be there...

won't that be slander? libel? something to that effect?
Depends on the country's laws. I know Italy is (to pick one example) a country where that can happen.

Despite the UK's strict libel laws, it is politically unacceptable to sue members of the general public for even extreme criticism. So a lot also depends on convention and what is perceived as a permissible thing for a politician to do.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He actually doesn't, but even if he did, he wouldn't given that the American public are firmly behind supporting Israel here. Therefore, an attempt by Biden to stop the Israelis from reacting would be a disaster for him back home.
How does the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces not have the power to halt military support to Israel, changing the calculus on the ground? Congress control the purse, yes.

On your second point, I don't think that's true that most Americans support Gaza being leveled in violation of international law. They support Hamas being eliminated, but unless you're conflating AIPAC with the American public I don't think Americans would have issues if the show of support was reined in and more conditional.

Roane

Happens every time. Either folk have short memories or do t pay attention.

Israel goes in and gets support. It bombs the shit out of an area. Then a few days later we get the backtracking. Incidentally just before the ground war. Then it calms down and Israel get money etc.

Rinse and repeat everytime

Roane

Anyone shed lights on the reports that Israel oversees all aid going into Gaza.

With food, They basically count the people, work out the calories and give it on that basis.

They calorie count?

RedTiger

Half mast

They're backtracking because the nations of the BRICS block said the opposite.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How does the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces not have the power to halt military support to Israel, changing the calculus on the ground? Congress control the purse, yes.

On your second point, I don't think that's true that most Americans support Gaza being leveled in violation of international law. They support Hamas being eliminated, but unless you're conflating AIPAC with the American public I don't think Americans would have issues if the show of support was reined in and more conditional.
Money that has been appropriated for Israel has already happened.. Just like the story of Biden building border wall fence from a couple of weeks ago, Biden was forced to do it because the funds were appropriated under Trump. Same thing with foreign aid, which has been appropriated by Congress. But its a moot point given that Biden is all in on Israel, so what you're suggesting would be unlikely even if he could do something about it.

Roane

Hence the infamous comments about putting the Palestinians on a "diet".

The more and more I learn about "everyday" life in Gaza the more I wonder why things like what transpired doesn't happen more.

Before I get slated I'm not justifying Hamas here or giving them credence.

I'm talking the general populace simply kicking off.

It's surreal