Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Super Hans

It wouldn't been much simpler if Hamas simply didn't attack the Israelis and kill 1,300 of their citizens three weeks ago. If not for that, none of what is happening right now would be happening. It was all very predictable from the start when Hamas went into Israel.
Hi Raoul, I'm wondering as I read this post. When you hear "Israel's occupation", what are the 3 worst of worst aspects of it for Palestinian civilians, in your view?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Is it only me who doesn't remember Basque terrorists killing 200 people in one day?

Same question will happen with some people in 20-30 years about Hamas attack and Israel retaliation. Who remember the deaths from Yom Kippur? I dont. Who did know about Yom Kippur before this...it floated my head but didn't know the exact date and what exactly happened and I consider myself slightly more interested in politics that the people I usually interact with.

Probably I would remember If I would be alive when happened but not. I surely remember this event. But new generations? History, reality is what matters

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The basque terrorist killed almost 200 people in Spain in 1 day in 2004 and they didn't bomb the basque region. No one was shot, no one died and the terrorists were imbedded in the territory like Hamas
Are you referring to the 2004 Madrid train bombings? Because I don't think they are officially seen as the ones responsible, even though they were accused at first.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hi Raoul, I'm wondering as I read this post. When you hear "Israel's occupation", what are the 3 worst of worst aspects of it for Palestinian civilians, in your view?
Lack of employment (near 50% unemployment rate), mobility (very difficult to travel), and incoherent governance.

owlo

Oh I understand Israeli retaliation so well seeing how they had been treating Palestinians. Didn't expect anything mildler. But that doesn't make it right, like doesn't make it right what Hamas did

But you condone what israel is doing. You only say that you hope they would not do it, but "oh well. is their right"
I condone nothing, as I don't know the actual reality. I've posted multiple times that early indication is that their targeting and ROE are more aggressive, leading to a poor CCR. Also that I would have done things differently. I understand the aims of their war, realise it's the only option, and hope they prosecute it with less brutality. That's all I said.

Are you referring to the 2004 Madrid train bombings? Because I don't think they are officially seen as the ones responsible, even though they were accused at first.

Your point stands nevertheless about Spain not flattening the Basque region.
It's not even a point. They didn't know the culprits. (and it wasn't the basques anyway) There isn't an active military force in the Basque region propped up by Iran, controlling the region, and firing rockets at Madrid. It's completely irrelevant.

Infra-red

Israel are only creating more desperation and therefore more terrorists. Unless they manage to wipeout every gazans, West Bank palestinians and then target all refugees in Jordan. They are giving people the justification for a century of terror.
Indeed. This action from Israel just looks like mindless, brutal revenge, rather than any kind of strategy. Yes, everyone in Hamas involved in planning and perpetrating the attacks three weeks ago will likely be dead within the next few days/weeks, but so will an absolutely enormous and completely horrifying number of civilians, including many children, none of whom had anything to do with the Hamas attack. The Hamas ideology will not die with its fighters and Israel will have succeeded in creating the conditions for many thousands of new recruits to the Hamas cause and the cycle of violence will continue on. The whole thing is just so utterly pointless and depressing.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
"Hamas terrorism was bad, but because of the last 50 years, Israel doesn't have the right to defend itself"
Israel is quite clearly not "defending itself." Israel is simply killing civilians as retaliation.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The overall issue didn't start 3 weeks ago, but Oct 7 was a massive inflection point - just as 9.11 was a big turning point in how the US dealt with similar threats.
And what a massive success that US reaction was too.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It had nothing to do with Saudi, then nation. There were also Emiratis, Egyptians, and Lebanese among the hijackers.
15 saudis and 2 of another one and 1 of each... 80 saudis. Did the US attacked Saudi arabia? no. They went for Afghantistan...then Iraq because Saudi Passports? no because they had Weapons of Massive Destruction...NOT.

feck, I did again.

My point is that The US didn't occupy land as US land and keeping people miserable and killing kids and women just because to expect a 9/11. It came somewhat out of the blue. And I remember, funnily enough between the 1st and 2nd plane that some leads said that they were palestinians for US support to Israel, that I would understand much more than any of the other reasons.

US didn't deserve the 9/11, Israel didn't deserve 7/10 (if we have to start calling it like that) but 9/11 was a fecking surprise (I can put my tinfoil hat also) but 7/10 doesn't come as a surprise at all. And we all know the reasons. Now don't play naïve and deny it

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
As far as I know it was Al Qaeda behind the Madrid bombings in 2004?
It was. I'm not sure what the hell is going on here.

The conservative government immediately blamed ETA. Pretty soon it turned out that it was not ETA, it was Al Qaeda. There were elections that same week and Spanish people immediately voted the conservatives out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
15 saudis and 2 of another one and 1 of each... 80 saudis. Did the US attacked Saudi arabia? no. They went for Afghantistan...then Iraq because Saudi Passports? no because they had Weapons of Massive Destruction...NOT.

feck, I did again.

My point is that The US didn't occupy land as US land and keeping people miserable and killing kids and women just because to expect a 9/11. It came somewhat out of the blue. And I remember, funnily enough between the 1st and 2nd plane that some leads said that they were palestinians for US support to Israel, that I would understand much more than any of the other reasons.

US didn't deserve the 9/11, Israel didn't deserve 7/10 (if we have to start calling it like that) but 9/11 was a fecking surprise (I can put my tinfoil hat also) but 7/10 doesn't come as a surprise at all. And we all know the reasons. Now don't play naïve and deny it
I still laugh when I read or see this. How can the US defend their reaction with a straight face when they targetted everyone but the obvious target?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I thought it was al Qaeda though.
It was Al Qeada, but the government said it was the basques terrorist to not lose an election 4 days later. They denied for 4 days till people jump to the streets, But the government didn't go and start killing people in the basque country right away

I had a mare there. feck my memory

Raoul

Admin
Staff

feck, I did again.

That's correct, because that's where Bin Ladin was.

Super Hans

Lack of employment (near 50% unemployment rate), mobility (very difficult to travel), and incoherent governance.
Ok. So something like torture on an eye watering scale and the imprisonment of 40% of the male population over the duration of the occupation doesn’t really come to mind?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The Atocha bombing had nothing to do with ETA. Even the Judge Javier Bermudez said so. It was perpetrated by Islamic terrorists of Maroccan and Tunisian nationalities.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ok. So something like torture on an eye watering scale and the imprisonment of 40% of the male population over the duration of the occupation doesn’t really come to mind?
Torture on a eye watering scale ? Can't say it does. Having an unelected terrorist organization speaking for all Palestinians in Gaza is definitely a problem though. One has to ask whether Gazans are better off today off in the present than when Hamas took over 16 years ago.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Torture on a eye watering scale ? Can't say it does. Having an unelected terrorist organization speaking for all Palestinians in Gaza is definitely a problem though. One has to ask whether Gazans are better off today off in the present than when Hamas took over 16 years ago.
They certainly were better in 1947

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
On a day like this I wonder what pro-Israeli posters are even complaining about.

You are going to materially "win" this. Israel will get rid of almost ten thousand Palestinians of all stripes. They'll cause serious damage to Hamas. The United States and Europe will ensure that there are no serious consequences to this depravity. This is hardly in any doubt.

What is the complaint? That you'll get called names while this happens?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
On a day like this I wonder what pro-Israeli posters are even complaining about.

You are going to materially "win" this. Israel will get rid of almost ten thousand Palestinians of all stripes. They'll cause serious damage to Hamas. The United States and Europe will ensure that there are no serious consequences to this depravity. This is hardly in any doubt.

What is the complaint? That you'll get called names while this happens?
They’re insecure. And they want the moral victory too. But everyone will know that they’re nothing but rancid cnuts.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why are there US bases in Syria? :houllier:

I'm pretty sure the government didn't invite them to setup shop there.
Not sure whether we're talking here about a base or outpost but anyway, one reason is because of American-led intervention against IS.

Pintu

Why are there US bases in Syria? :houllier:

I'm pretty sure the government didn't invite them to setup shop there.
International coalition against ISIS… Probably one of the most justifiable military interventions the US has made over the last decades…

But unfortunately we can trace the birth of ISIS back to the dismantling of the Iraqi nation/state 10 years earlier…. And we will probably be looking at a Palestinian ISIS in 10/15 years from now as a result of the ongoing ethnic cleansing…