Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
That’s correct. I pointed it out because they’re able to provide the specially trained force multiplier for any SEAL/Delta/Raider forces that are also silently moving into position in the Med.

Silently shouting ooooraaaah! And Hooah! Each time they do something or see someone they haven't greeted in the last half hour. I'm shocked they can infiltrate a sell out football match the noise those lot make :lol:

dinostar77

Children should be protected at an cost. The current state of the world is a clear indication that people don't give a feck about the lives of children anymore. I can't even begin to fathom the mindset someone has to be in to take the life of a child and feel nothing or feel any remorse.
Poor boy was stabbed 26 times according to BBC News. I hope every day in prison is torture for his killer.

dinostar77

Occupying Gaza would be 'big mistake', Biden warns Israel
Joe Biden has warned Israel not to occupy Gaza in what may be his strongest public effort to advocate restraint.

He told CBS' 60 Minutes last night: "I think it'd be a big mistake.

"Look, what happened in Gaza, in my view, is Hamas, and the extreme elements of Hamas don't represent all the Palestinian people. And I think that it would be a mistake for Israel to occupy Gaza again," he said.

"Taking out the extremists... is a necessary requirement," he added.

Israeli ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan told CNN the country has "no interest" in occupying Gaza but will do "whatever is needed to obliterate" Hamas.

"We have no interest to occupy Gaza or to stay in Gaza, but since we are fighting for our survival and the only way, as the president [Biden] himself defined is to obliterate Hamas, so we will have to do whatever is needed to obliterate their capabilities," he said.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

It maybe have become a very complicated dispute over the decades, but at it's heart it's really quite simple.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry

It maybe have become a very complicated dispute over the decades, but at it's heart it's really quite simple.
Yeah, not sure that's very helpful. Or funny. Or clever even. There are one or two other factors involved.

Drainy

Yeah, not sure that's very helpful. Or funny. Or clever even. There are one or two other factors involved.
Like the 'home owner' actually being a renter in a shared house, which was their family home but they got shafted, and the person 'taking over the home' already being in one of the rooms and also has a claim to have a family history and being shafted, and the owner of the house who got the property in a deal from the guy who shafted them (who also is a shit) negotiates with the government to propose a way to give the property to them both with clear boundaries and legal paperwork, and then the 'home owner' gathers his mates and attacks the other guy.

Still well oversimplified but you get the point, it's not straight forward.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Of course there are, but at its heart it's an argument about who's land it is.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Like the 'home owner' actually being a renter in a shared house, which was their family home but they got shafted, and the person 'taking over the home' already being in one of the rooms and also has a claim to have a family history and being shafted, and the owner of the house who got the property in a deal from the guy who shafted them (who also is a shit) negotiates with the government to propose a way to give the property to them both with clear boundaries and legal paperwork, and then the 'home owner' gathers his mates and attacks the other guy.

Still well oversimplified but you get the point, it's not straight forward.
This has got to me one of the worst and most misinformed analogies of the situation I’ve seen.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Occupying Gaza would be 'big mistake', Biden warns Israel
Joe Biden has warned Israel not to occupy Gaza in what may be his strongest public effort to advocate restraint.

He told CBS' 60 Minutes last night: "I think it'd be a big mistake.

"Look, what happened in Gaza, in my view, is Hamas, and the extreme elements of Hamas don't represent all the Palestinian people. And I think that it would be a mistake for Israel to occupy Gaza again," he said.

"Taking out the extremists... is a necessary requirement," he added.

Israeli ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan told CNN the country has "no interest" in occupying Gaza but will do "whatever is needed to obliterate" Hamas.

"We have no interest to occupy Gaza or to stay in Gaza, but since we are fighting for our survival and the only way, as the president [Biden] himself defined is to obliterate Hamas, so we will have to do whatever is needed to obliterate their capabilities," he said.
If that’s legit, it pretty much equates to “feck around and find out” to Israel. This has gone from an act of retribution to virtually terrorism.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
What is the view of the c. 50% of Israeli's that voted against the Netanyahu coalition?

As per posts a week ago, I expected a very strong, non-proportional response from Israel because that's what history suggested (and surely what Hamas knew would happen) but I did not expect the international community to let this level of civilian slaughter go ahead. Nor did I expect Israel to get carte blanche internally to do this. It's like Israel looked at enormous f*ck up the Americans did after 9/11 and said hold by beer.

I have to believe the western leaders are shocked too, hence the sudden interest in trying to curb the actions.

In a very armchair-psychologist way, I wonder if Netanyahu views this as his personal 'sacrifice' for his people: he will be the bad guy that does the thing so many people whisper about around him, but no one would ever seriously consider because it's too evil.

The world (read: US) needs to intervene, immediately.

FireballXL5

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Oh so there were no Jewish settlers in Mandated Palestine?

When was the last time Palestinians controlled the land?

Did the UN not agree to the borders?
Firstly sorry for posting a simplified video, but in my mind it summed up a large part of 1948/the Naqba pretty well.

To answer your questions...

Yes there were Jewish settlers in Palestine, but at the time of the Balfour Declaration they made up less than 10% of the population. That obviously rose in the following years as the British government amongst others facilitated the immigration of European Jews to Palestine, to the ppint where by the outbreak of WW2 Jewish settlers made up more than 25% of the population.

It's not about who controls the land, before the abolishment of apartheid in South Africa, the black population did not control the land. During the colonial period, in fact, outside of Europe and the America, very few populations controlled the land they lived on, but that shouldn't reduce their right to self government in the land that they live.

Yes the UN did agree to the borders, but Israel has expanded massively outside the borders voted on and agreed by the general assembly in 1947 for a Jewish state.

I should be clear, I am not opposed to a Jewish homeland in the slightest and if I am honest the main thing missing from that video was the horrendous persecution the Jewish diaspora suffered for centuries, that does not however take away from the fact that the vast majority Arab population of the area has experienced massive upheaval and been displaced. That obviously started in 1948 and has continued on and off ever since.

tomaldinho1

For all the condemnation of the US, it looks like they are being able to at least delay and restrain Israel somewhat in their retaliation re the ground attack. Any time that can be bought for the normal person is valuable in this fecked up situation.

Drainy

Firstly sorry for posting a simplified video, but in my mind it summed up a large part of 1948/the Naqba pretty well.

To answer your questions...

Yes there were Jewish settlers in Palestine, but at the time of the Balfour Declaration they made up less than 10% of the population. That obviously rose in the following years as the British government amongst others facilitated the immigration of European Jews to Palestine, to the ppint where by the outbreak of WW2 Jewish settlers made up more than 25% of the population.

It's not about who controls the land, before the abolishment of apartheid in South Africa, the black population did not control the land. During the colonial period, in fact, outside of Europe and the America, very few populations controlled the land they lived on, but that shouldn't reduce their right to self government in the land that they live.

Yes the UN did agree to the borders, but Israel has expanded massively outside the borders voted on and agreed by the general assembly in 1947 for a Jewish state.

I should be clear, I am not opposed to a Jewish homeland in the slightest and if I am honest the main thing missing from that video was the horrendous persecution the Jewish diaspora suffered for centuries, that does not however take away from the fact that the vast majority Arab population of the area has experienced massive upheaval and been displaced. That obviously started in 1948 and has continued on and off ever since.
And I should point out that expansion into East Jerusalem and West Bank is not acceptable.

The experience of some Palestinians which is actually similar to the video is horrendous, the analogy itself as an overall summary of the conflict is the issue I had with it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
For all the condemnation of the US, it looks like they are being able to at least delay and restrain Israel somewhat in their retaliation re the ground attack. Any time that can be bought for the normal person is valuable in this fecked up situation.
It's just lip service. What's gonna happen? Stronger condemnation?

It's just lip service to an already demolished Gaza.

Where are the economic sanction? Where are the embargo? Even the wording looks bogus. Wasnt there a circulation that prevent certain words being said by American diplomat?

But hey. America the paragon of justice and democracy to the rescue

tomaldinho1

It's just lip service. What's gonna happen? Stronger condemnation?

It's just lip service to an already demolished Gaza.

Where are the economic sanction? Where are the embargo? Even the wording looks bogus. Wasnt there a circulation that prevent certain words being said by American diplomat?

But hey. America the paragon of justice and democracy to the rescue
There’s no ‘fix’ for this situation but surely you can see there’s at least some small positive here that civilians are getting more time? Couldn’t care less about the US but seems factually correct to say they are at least trying to reign the response in, even if it’s nowhere near what people would hope for.

Yes or No question - it is better that the Israeli ground assault and hospital evacuations have been delayed?

Pintu

edited for more context.

Netnayahu is so fecked*** up… He has no choice but to eradicate Hamas no matter the cost, if he wanna delay this thing and have a slight chance at keeping power afterwards when these the immense failures of last weekend get discussed in deep by the public.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There’s no ‘fix’ for this situation but surely you can see there’s at least some small positive here that civilians are getting more time? Couldn’t care less about the US but seems factually correct to say they are at least trying to reign the response in, even if it’s nowhere near what people would hope for.

Yes or No question - it is better that the Israeli ground assault and hospital evacuations have been delayed?
More like go ahead Bibi. I'll buy you some time. Just make it quick

When you can do more, but resorting to just talking.. that's the definition of lip service.

They havent even condemn it right?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

When you can do more, but resorting to just talking.. that's the definition of lip service.

What more could be done with realistic results?

tomaldinho1

They have forced them to allow aid into Gaza and start a ceasefire in the South, also Biden hinting at Palestine needing a route to being a 'state' seems quite big words as per the Telegraph today.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

edited for more context.

Netnayahu is so fecked*** up… He has no choice but to eradicate Hamas no matter the cost, if he wanna delay this thing and have a slight chance at keeping power afterwards when these the immense failures of last weekend get discussed in deep by the public.
I read something similar but couldn’t find a source to corroborate this. Interestingly it looks like that may be the case that a fair few were killed by IDF in the ensuing melee.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And I should point out that expansion into East Jerusalem and West Bank is not acceptable.

The experience of some Palestinians which is actually similar to the video is horrendous, the analogy itself as an overall summary of the conflict is the issue I had with it.
It's obviously a ridiculously simplified video but what is morally the difference between what's happening now in east Jerusalem and the West bank and what happened to the Palestinians in the early 20th century ( or you can call them the local Arabic speaking population if you like).

The most genuine responses I've seen about this have actually come from some of these modern day settlers. Yes this is crap for the Palestinians. It's the logical fulfillment of zionism. How is it actually different to what we did in the early 20th century?

Amazing that the Jewish people got a homeland but it was always going to come at the expense of the local population in that land.

Not that this really affects the Palestinian question now. International affairs are rarely 'fair'.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I read something similar but couldn’t find a source to corroborate this. Interestingly it looks like that may be the case that a fair few were killed by IDF in the ensuing melee.
Many more are also being killed as the IDF is bringing down buildings.

Boycott

I'm not sure it's clever to use 'a made up book full of fictional stories' as a one-way street argument.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm not sure it's clever to use 'a made up book full of fictional stories' as a one-way street argument.
You're probably right, but substitute that for "ancient text" and the idea behind the video remains the same. People living on the land were forced to give it up and move for others who believed the land was theirs, that's the heart of the issue.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
As much as I feel all religions are made up books full of fictional stories, only one side is using it as an argument for making exclusive claims to that land.