Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's quite a large and diverse organisation. It does get criticism from all sides as it's mainly impartial. But I see it more of a structural bias than an agenda.
IMO, when both sides complain then you're probably getting it right most of the time, in such a large organization odd things will always get thru as you say, I also find that the biggest critics of the BBC are the ones who object to the license fee, in the HYS they constantly moan without irony given the fact they are using the BBC to moan about the BBC!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
USA will veto everything.

*Corrected that for you
Isn't Israel in violation of more UN resolutions than anyone else? If that is correct then the USA hasn't vetoed everything in the past

dinostar77

How can the world sit by and watch a hospital being bombed. A fecking hospital. A christian hospital at that.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
IMO, when both sides complain then you're probably getting it right most of the time, in such a large organization odd things will always get thru as you say, I also find that the biggest critics of the BBC are the ones who object to the license fee, in the HYS they constantly moan without irony given the fact they are using the BBC to moan about the BBC!
There is definitely something in that. It's just Israel is an outlier in so many ways.

RedC

Not sure if that's aimed at me but my point was that an organisation which voluntarily and publicly corrects errors in their coverage of any situation is clearly doing so because they are at least trying to be as impartial and accurate as possible. Worth noting that they are also under fire for not referring to Hamas as a terrorist organisation.

I would also be curious to know which news organisation people feel is 100% unbiased and impartial. Where is the bar being set here?
I would personally want to hold the BBC to an extremely high standard in terms of impartiality and accuracy of their reporting, being that they're one of the biggest and I would say most trusted sources of news around(at least in the Anglosphere). There is nothing wrong with calling them out.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
How can the world sit by and watch a hospital being bombed. A fecking hospital. A christian hospital at that.
Is a Christian hospital more special or something?

A hospital is a hospital no matter whose running it

the_cliff

Well, usually Israel use the excuse of Hamas using hospitals and civilian infrastructure as reasons to bomb them. The emphasis on a Christian hospital in this instance means that Israel's excuses are irrelevant.

dinostar77

A hospital is a hospital yes, none should ever be bombed. However when a majority of your international allies are predominately countries whos citizens, are predominately of the christian faith. Its not a good strategic move to bomb the christen hospital.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes I do but the insinuation is that a Christian one is worse, there was no need to add that
That's not necessarily the point. An hospital or any health facility that is financed or managed by christians is unfortunately less of a legitimate target for IDF, since as others have suggested IDF uses the argument that facilities are financed or run by muslims to link them to Hamas.

Tibs

They are absolute fecking bastards...feck the Israeli Govt, the IDF...they're worse than Hamas

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
500 people killed by Israel in the hospital. Despicable cnuts.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Has anyone reliable confirmed what happened with the hospital?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Interesting video but he glosses over things which have huge importance. He's very dismissive of the impact of colonialism; he's dismissive of muslim countries' systems of government (they're all dictatorships, according to him); and he's practically saying that muslims are violent and stupid by nature, whereas Jews are peaceful and intelligent.

Colonialism in the Middle East, as in Africa, has shaped every aspect of those nations' development, and will continue to do so for centuries to come. Some of those nations didn't exist until Europeans started meddling in their affairs. Colonialism has generated hatred, division and distrust. By its very nature, it was all about divide and conquer, since relatively small forces were able to conquer and control huge swathes of land. They did this by turning one native group against the other. I could talk about it forever, but to claim that the middle east is the way it is today but colonialism has nothing to do with it is naive. It's the same mentality that tells a black person in America that slavery doesn't exist today and to get over it.

The second point about the systems of government is also naive. We live in a democracy in the UK. But it's a closed shop. The privileged few control every aspect of society, they control the media, they decide who wins elections. We have a thin veneer of respectability that's it. Democracy is different in every country - ours is different from Italy's, for example - but it isn't necessarily the best system of government. A lot of the negative aspects are hidden from view because we have a higher standard of living than most of the middle east. Why is that? Colonialism. We raped, we pillaged, we got fat off other's natural resources. And that legacy is still playing out today. Again, I could write books about this subject, but I'll keep it succinct. Besides, James O'Brien would be out of a job if I did.

And the last point is particularly ugly. It's almost like eugenics or something. There are elements of truth in what he's said. Jews being expelled from muslim countries or leaving because they don't feel safe - all true and all a blight on those countries. However, many Jews left those countries to go to Israel. They were offered land and money to move. Israel, to Jews in the post-war period especially, must have had the allure that America had for immigrants decades earlier. A land of opportunities. A Jewish homeland.

It has to be said, though, that his reasoning for the behaviour of the Israeli government (Arabs have been horrible to us in the past, so tough titty), is reminiscent of what that repugnant Israeli ambassador woman has been saying on UK tv and radio: basically, that civilians were killed deliberately at the end of the second world war, so it's ok for Israel to do the same now. No it's not. And it's not ok for Israel to treat Arabs badly because they've been on the receiving end in the past. Two wrongs don't make a right. And the reason why we have war crimes, courts of human rights, Geneva Convention, etc, is precisely because we, collectively, see that it is unethical.

He does make great points about religion, the affect that various empires have had on the region, and a few other bits and pieces, though.
I’m trying to finalise my PhD thesis on economics/finance over the next few months (fingers crossed). My topic is around structural economic transformation - so it brushes a little bit or everything: history, politics, colonialism, economic policies, apartheid
, corruption & then obviously all this to try and understand context as to why we (as a country) are where we are (high unemployment, slow/negative economic growth etc) - then looking ahead into industry labour and capital productivity etc etc. Very long way of saying great post. I think you just shot up on my Caf list of “posters I’d like to meet in person” list - if only to listen to your views on the above topic(s). Cheers.