Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The last couple of days are a microcosm of why this is so toxic and tragic. Feels like there are few people who are actually genuinely concerned about the humanitarian aspects and more concerned about point scoring, selective sympathy or projecting the worst possible perception on the other side.

I haven't heard much outrage about the prospect that Islamic Jihad killed hundreds of Palestinian civilians in the process of trying to kill Israeli civilians, as if somehow if the IDF killed them it makes it more of a tragedy and injustice. And very weird attempts to draw moral high grounds in areas of beheading or not beheading babies, when thousands of people have died brutally.

It should be possible to criticise the Israeli govt/Hamas for what they are actually doing and why they are objectively doing it, than essentially projecting your own disdain for them as a strawman.
Might be a bit conspiratorial, but this Hospital attack has been used as an information war, in my opinion. I think Israel knew it wasn't them, happily let people think otherwise and quickly jump on unverified reports, which sows doubt on potential reports in the future. I think it's made a lot of very loud pro-palestine commentators look a bit silly (if it is indeed the Islamic Jihad group).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Unless you are more specific you're just dismissing lots of good posts.

Most people are criticising all of the killing.
The post was also a load of wank. "So many agendas, not enough pointless wailing for humanity"

Oh yes, do the sensible thing, allow mass protests, then turn them into a violent mess when the police goes into the crowd and arrests hundreds of people.
Other countries handle this quite well without mass arrests. England for example. 1 poster from here attended a Pro-Palestinian protest, no Hamas chants or flags

To dig up an ol' caf saying, this is exactly how Nazi Germany started

RedDevil@84

The last couple of days are a microcosm of why this is so toxic and tragic. Feels like there are few people who are actually genuinely concerned about the humanitarian aspects and more concerned about point scoring, selective sympathy or projecting the worst possible perception on the other side.

I haven't heard much outrage about the prospect that Islamic Jihad killed hundreds of Palestinian civilians in the process of trying to kill Israeli civilians, as if somehow if the IDF killed them it makes it more of a tragedy and injustice. And very weird attempts to draw moral high grounds in areas of beheading or not beheading babies, when thousands of people have died brutally.

It should be possible to criticise the Israeli govt/Hamas for what they are actually doing and why they are objectively doing it, than essentially projecting your own disdain for them as a strawman.
It is interesting that you are so much concerned about people trying to score points in a conversation about death, but then immediately resort to borderline whataboutism in the next line.

Eugenius

Might be a bit conspiratorial, but this Hospital attack has been used as an information war, in my opinion. I think Israel knew it wasn't them, happily let people think otherwise and quickly jump on unverified reports, which sows doubt on potential reports in the future. I think it's made a lot of very loud pro-palestine commentators look a bit silly (if it is indeed the Islamic Jihad group).
I doubt it. Contrary to the optics, Israel are showing some restraint (hence no ground move yet) - no one wants this to be a full blown regional war, and they want to keep the Arab states (whose leaders don't really care) in a position where relationship normalisation can be picked up down the line. Having people think they precision bombed a hospital doesn’t help.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Other countries handle this quite well without mass arrests. England for example. 1 poster from here attended a Pro-Palestinian protest, no Hamas chants or flags

To dig up an ol' caf saying, this is exactly how Nazi Germany started

Ah right. The authorities have their own experiences from the past, but what does that count against 1 poster from redcafe.net going to a protest in a different country. Good thing there wasn't a caf user at that protest in Australia though.

Raven

I doubt it. Contrary to the optics, Israel are showing some restraint (hence no ground move yet) - no one wants this to be a full blown regional war, and they want to keep the Arab states (whose leaders don't really care) in a position where relationship normalisation can be picked up down the line. Having people think they precision bombed a hospital doesn’t help.
Bombing hospitals, schools, homes and places of worship from miles away where they can't be touched is not restraint, it fecking cowardice.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Where did you get the idea that peaceful protests are not allowed? German is an extremely liberal country. Berlin is one of the most liberal cities in Europe. Hell of a claim to make that they have suddenly banned peaceful protest?
You're right that it's a hell of a claim to make, but it's 100% true. I was in Berlin this weekend as a tourist and whenever a peaceful protest started up, they would send 15+ vans full of Riot Police to intimidate / arrest en masse. I saw it with my own eyes on 3 occasions in a 48 hour period where we were wandering through the tourist spots. There's additional outrage because the Berlin police had allowed pro-Israel protests on the Friday night, but wouldn't allow Palestine supporters to do the same.

On Saturday afternoon, I saw 2 groups of Palestine supporters, not saying A WORD, arrested or shoved into walls by Berlin police. On both occasions the police outnumbered the protesters 15:1. It was terrifying as the police didn't say a single word as they went about their business to quash any protest. Also we were told that even wearing a keffiyeh is banned at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
This is the stuff that does my head in. I'm not an expert, but I reckon I can tell what missile was fired by the sound in a video. Right. It hurts everybody reporting stuff in this way.
My point is I think they are happy with the confusion and gives them more credibility, especially as I personally think it will turn out it wasn't them. i think general public opinion was pretty poor towards Israel with the rhetoric coming out of their govt. The whole Netenyahu aide tweet is very suspicious as well.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It's hardly outrageous.
And you're hardly using those brain cells of yours.

That's an operation that went over the head of some the highest positioned members of the Hamas itself and managed to blindside one of best the intelligence agencies in the world with all eyes on that particular prison region. Yet the guy in question is asking a British MP if she somehow heard about it. Just because she's also Palestinian. The dangerous implications are that she, and by extension, the whole population of Gaza, or at least a part of it, were somehow complicit or privy to one of the most repulsive terrorist attacks of the 21st century. See where I am going with this?

I'm (almost) certain that the guy didn't mean it that way, but it certainly is telling, and truly shocking that the question was even asked. Even more shocking is that it doesn't really seem to ruffle any feathers. I find it admirable that she didn't flinch and took the time to answer. I really don't know what I would've done if I was in her shoes.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm still sceptical that invading Gaza is a wise decision but oh well...

RedDevil@84

I just want to be educated, please.
It is true. West has 7 decades of experience supporting Israel in all its actions. Israel is a big western ally. Its actions endorsed. Its acts justified.
Now how it reflects on the western foreign policy is up to you to decide.

kaku06

Restraint. Please elaborate.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Insulting another member
Can't believe ***** here believe it was an Hamas error which caused the 3 towers of hospital to collapse..

I bet they think it is Hamas who rings the other hospitals and apartment buildings telling the tenants to evacuate immediately for a risk of imminent death by Hamas war plane or SAM. :annoyed:

Anyone who believes Anything coming out of that racist govt is a fool.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Can't believe ***** here believe it was an Hamas error which caused the 3 towers of hospital to collapse..

I bet they think it is Hamas who rings the other hospitals and apartment buildings telling the tenants to evacuate immediately for a risk of imminent death by Hamas war plane or SAM. :annoyed:

Surprised we don't have a "*****" word filter on here yet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're right that it's a hell of a claim to make, but it's 100% true. I was in Berlin this weekend as a tourist and whenever a peaceful protest started up, they would send 15+ vans full of Riot Police to intimidate / arrest en masse. I saw it with my own eyes on 3 occasions in a 48 hour period where we were wandering through the tourist spots. There's additional outrage because the Berlin police had allowed pro-Israel protests on the Friday night, but wouldn't allow Palestine supporters to do the same.

On Saturday afternoon, I saw 2 groups of Palestine supporters, not saying A WORD, arrested or shoved into walls by Berlin police. On both occasions the police outnumbered the protesters 15:1. It was terrifying as the police didn't say a single word as they went about their business to quash any protest. Also we were told that even wearing a keffiyeh is banned at the moment.
Wow. They must be seriously on edge. That’s mad.

owlo

It’d be unkind and overly cynical to say they intended to destroy the hospital.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
A new Israeli massacre at Nuseirat mosque reports say the refugee camp there and a bakery was also hit:

ALBAWABA- In a disturbing escalation of violence, Israel has reportedly bombed the Nuseirat Mosque in Gaza, resulting in the tragic loss of around 30 lives, including displaced individuals seeking refuge.

The attack adds to the ongoing series of massacres against the Palestinian people. The deliberate targeting of a place of worship raises serious concerns, as it constitutes a direct violation of international law.

According to Article 8 of the Geneva Convention, such attacks on buildings of worship are deemed war crimes. The international community is urged to condemn these actions and address the urgent need for a peaceful resolution to the conflict in the region.
New Israeli massacre, dozens killed in airstrikes on Nuseirat Mosque in Gaza (msn.com)

RoadTrip

It’d be unkind and overly cynical to say they intended to destroy the hospital.
Does it matter if the specific strike was targeted at the hospital or not?

Every single Palestinian life and every single Israeli life lost is directly as a result of actions Hamas and the Israeli government have taken over decades. And both should be held responsible for every single drop of blood lost regardless of “intent” of a particular attack.

JagUTD

Anyone who believes anything from either side immediately after the event is a fool tbh.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Thanks for posting, interesting viewing. It seems the physical evidence suggests it wasn’t your “standard” Israeli air strike. But beyond that, it seems like it could be a whole heap of things which at this stage is unknown.
The audio that Israel presented sounds fabricated though, which is a pretty telling sign that someone isn't being transparent with the truth (for me anyways).

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Some more info on Nuseirat mosque:

RoadTrip

The audio that Israel presented sounds fabricated though, which is a pretty telling sign that someone isn't being transparent with the truth (for me anyways).
Of course, neither does the contradictory nature of the launch site in Gaza. But given the severity of the consequence of the world believing it was them, I could understand why they naively tried to manufacture evidence to further their claim. For me, I don’t want to jump to conclusions. Better to wait until more information comes out, if it ever does.

JagUTD

The lack of physical evidence, particularly shrapnel is significant imo. Quite often, the tell tale sign it was one of the other was the fragments of the weapon used and when it's Israel at fault, it's quickly put online.