Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I’m amazed it’s your post that has attracted the ire when there’s another one that’s been up for 20 minutes calling Jews animals and calling for the PA to be armed so that it can “wipe out” the settlements. And I say that as someone who is anti settlement and would have no objection to them being deconstructed/handed back to Palestinians but that kind of language isn’t at all helpful.
Its not at all helpful and I was actually about to reply to that poster asking them to take down that post because what they're trying to do is incredibly clunky, with awful optics.

They are however not trying to say that but mirroring and parodying Ben Gvir, who made those comments about Palestinians relatively recently.

Should probably be edited though as its incredibly unpleasant and jarring to read, especially if you don't then see their post immediately after.

Halftrack

I’m amazed it’s your post that has attracted the ire when there’s another one that’s been up for 20 minutes calling Jews animals and calling for the PA to be armed so that it can “wipe out” the settlements. And I say that as someone who is anti settlement and would have no objection to them being deconstructed/handed back to Palestinians but that kind of language isn’t at all helpful.
It's a quote with from the Israeli Deputy Defense Minister, substituting the word Palestinian for the word Jew.

Its not at all helpful and I was actually about to reply to that poster asking them to take down that post because what they're trying to do is incredibly clunky, with awful optics.

They are however not trying to say that but mirroring and parodying Ben Gvir, who made those comments about Palestinians relatively recently.

Should probably be edited though as its incredibly unpleasant and jarring to read, especially if you don't then see their post immediately after.
E: see above. It's a word substituted quote from Eli Ben Dahan, not a parody or exaggeration.

Last edited:

Agent Red

Yes, I thought the point about mirroring Ben Gvir’s language might be made. It’s not obvious that is what it is unless you look at the links in a separate post though, and a bit of a creative licence has been used. Also I think most of us would agree that language was totally unacceptable.

Thank you for posting this, and also for considered post a few pages back on your view of Israel’s place and its borders (as someone who has been lurking). We don’t agree on everything but it’s that kind of tone that raises the thread.

Last edited:

Drizzle

I’m amazed it’s your post that has attracted the ire when there’s another one that’s been up for 20 minutes calling Jews animals and calling for the PA to be armed so that it can “wipe out” the settlements.
You shouldn't be amazed. Nobody seems to be willing to do the hard work of calling out the racist imbeciles on their own team.

Duafc

Village Lemon
So the indiscriminate bombing by the Israeli government causes or justifies the massacre of jews around the world. Noted.
One is literally happening now, the other is a future you have decided is going to happen, as to relevancy it's not much of a contest.

JagUTD

So to be clear, it's nonsense to suggest the ongoing rise in Antisemitism worldwide will result in massacres of Jews but it's perfectly fine to repeatedly claim that Israel is enacting a Genocide in Gaza?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You shouldn't be amazed. Nobody seems to be willing to do the hard work of calling out the racist imbeciles on their own team.
I really don't think I can roll my eyes the amount I want to at at this comment.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
So the indiscriminate bombing by the Israeli government causes or justifies the massacre of jews around the world. Noted.
You should not complain about "extreme rhetoric" in one post, and then immediately follow it up with extreme rhetoric of your own.

Drizzle

One is literally happening now, the other is a future you have decided is going to happen, as to relevancy it's not much of a contest.
That doesn't even make sense. But anyway, we'll see if my grim prediction comes to pass, I pray it doesn't. But the ridiculously violent and simplistic discourse is leading up to it. It's fine if you disagree, like I say, I hope you're right.

Halftrack

So to be clear, it's nonsense to suggest the ongoing rise in Antisemitism worldwide will result in massacres of Jews but it's perfectly fine to repeatedly claim that Israel is enacting a Genocide in Gaza?
Bemoaning hypothetical massacres of Jews while a massacre of a captive population is carried out by Israel is fecking imbecillic.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes, I thought the point about mirroring Ben Gvir’s language might be made. I think most of us would agree that was also totally unacceptable though.

Thank you for posting this, and also for considered post a few pages back on your view of Israel’s place and its borders (as someone who has been lurking). We don’t agree on everything but it’s that kind of tone that raises the thread.
I think most of us would though, just as there are some posters who can only see things from the Palestinian side, there are posters on here who are the same for the Israeli side.

I'm still waiting on the response from the poster who thought it was genocidal for someone to say from river to the sea at a Pro-Palestine but seems to not even be aware of people like Ben Gvir, Smotrich or indeed even Netanyahu and their views. An interesting dynamic for sure.

And no worries, I hope that my posts never come across as offensive and I've never been that interested in trying to make pointless platitudes or amplify the fringe views on either side to try to make a point. I do think there is far more awareness of the extreme Palestinian views than the extreme Israeli ones though, which I don't think leads to an adequate analysis of the situation.

Drizzle

You should not complain about "extreme rhetoric" in one post, and then immediately follow it up with extreme rhetoric of your own.
My 'extreme rhetoric' is not demonising a group of people. I'm predicting disaster. There's a big difference.

Halftrack

I don't get how people can be focusing on Israel slaughtering civilians en masse when they should be worrying about all these hypothetical future massacres of Jews that I've made up.

Says it all, really.

Mike Smalling

I don't get how people can be focusing on Israel slaughtering civilians en masse when they should be worrying about all these hypothetical future massacres of Jews that I've made up.

Says it all, really.
Watch it. That's the kind of post that could very well lead to the imaginary slaughter of Jews.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
When you consider the terror being perpertrated in the west bank by the jewish settlers, to me the Jews are like animals, especially in the West Bank. The jewish settlers aren’t educated towards peace, nor do they want it. There is no such thing as a jewish homeland. The PA needs arming and should wipe out the settlements, not leave it to the people. The Palestinians right to walk through the streets of the West Bank is much more important than Jews right to movement and travel – this is the reality. This is the truth. A palestinians right to life outweighs any jews right to move on the streets.
This is eerily similar to Ben Gvir's disgusting views, just from a pro-palestina side.
Calling any group of humans animals is horribly dehumanizing and a recipe for escalation.

Edit: as i am waking up, something tells me this could be satire? It is so close.

Last edited:

JagUTD

Bemoaning hypothetical massacres of Jews while a massacre of a captive population is carried out by Israel is fecking imbecillic.
Hypothetical massacre of Jews seems an odd choice of words given the, you know, actual massacre of Jews that took place 2 weeks ago.

And the term relating to Gaza is quite often genocide. Which I believe is used hypothetically...

Drizzle

Alright people, I get it. You can stop piling on now. I'm sorry for being worried about what's happening and the attacks on jews around the world for the crimes of the Israeli government. I know there won't be massacres, can't believe anyone could think that sort of thing could happen, in retrospect.

My worry about this of course does not also prevent me being appalled at what is also happening in Gaza by the way. I get it - that's a real thing, and there's me worrying about some future that may not happen.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
My 'extreme rhetoric' is not demonising a group of people. I'm predicting disaster. There's a big difference.
Your extreme rhetoric was completely and wholly making up that I claimed or implied "massacres of Jews were justified".

Duafc

Village Lemon
That doesn't even make sense. But anyway, we'll see if my grim prediction comes to pass, I pray it doesn't. But the ridiculously violent and simplistic discourse is leading up to it. It's fine if you disagree, like I say, I hope you're right.
Of course it makes sense, and in the last page or two your discourse is every part as simplistic as anyone else

I don't disagree that anti-Semitism will be on the rise globally, people who already have those views will be emboldened and there will likely also be converts who cant distinguish between the Israeli Govt, or individual Israeli actors/voices and Jewish people generally or are won over by anti-jewish propaganda.

However you are now placing more importance on the possible future crime of Jews being attacked than the completely real and current slaughter of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza, WB and beyond - the vast, vast, vast majority of whom 'deserve' it no more than any Jewish person should experience anti-Semitism or violence as a result of this conflict and no more than the poor victims on Oct 7th.

All this shows is that you are clearly to close to it, too impacted and not in any way thinking objectively - quite understandable and human but not helpful and certainly not worth doubling down over, that's a race to the bottom.

Mike Smalling

Hypothetical massacre of Jews seems an odd choice of words given the, you know, actual massacre of Jews that took place 2 weeks ago.

And the term relating to Gaza is quite often genocide. Which I believe is used hypothetically...
Well, that poster was talking about future massacres of Jews "around the world", meaning outside of Israel, which are thankfully still fully hypothetical. So seems like a very appropriate choice of words to me.

Drizzle

Of course it makes sense, and in the last page or two your discourse is every part as simplistic as anyone else

I don't disagree that anti-Semitism will be on the rise globally, people who already have those views will be emboldened and there will likely also be converts who cant distinguish between the Israeli Govt, or individual Israeli actors/voices and Jewish people generally or are won over by anti-jewish propaganda.

However you are now placing more importance on the possible future crime of Jews being attacked than the completely real and current slaughter of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza, WB and beyond - the vast, vast, vast majority of whom 'deserve' it no more than any Jewish person should experience anti-Semitism or violence as a result of this conflict and no more than the poor victims on Oct 7th.

All this shows is that you are clearly to close to it, too impacted and not in any way thinking objectively - quite understandable and human but not helpful and certainly not worth doubling down over, that's a race to the bottom.
I appreciate this response. Your last paragraph is interesting and worth me reflecting on.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not placing more importance on this than Gazan lives. I've been clear about this in several previous posts, and my stance, for what it's worth, is resolutely against these current Israeli actions.

It's legitimate to raise alternative strands of this without being accused of minimising other issues, so I haven't appreciated being shouted down on this (not that you have).

Agent Red

I think most of us would though, just as there are some posters who can only see things from the Palestinian side, there are posters on here who are the same for the Israeli side.

I'm still waiting on the response from the poster who thought it was genocidal for someone to say from river to the sea at a Pro-Palestine but seems to not even be aware of people like Ben Gvir, Smotrich or indeed even Netanyahu and their views. An interesting dynamic for sure.

And no worries, I hope that my posts never come across as offensive and I've never been that interested in trying to make pointless platitudes or amplify the fringe views on either side to try to make a point. I do think there is far more awareness of the extreme Palestinian views than the extreme Israeli ones though, which I don't think leads to an adequate analysis of the situation.
This hasn’t been my experience, but I guess it depends who you talk to and what you read. I think it’s difficult to assess where any imbalance in coverage or awareness lies as well when there’s such a contrast between the position of western governments vs. the views of large parts of the population and therefore the content you see on social media, hear in social circles etc. I think lots of people are feeling isolated and helpless by one or the other.

Anyway, I’m going to slip back to lurking as the doom scrolling has been messing up my head the last 2 weeks and I don’t think me posting on the caf is going to help anyone.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I appreciate this response. Your last paragraph is interesting and worth me reflecting on.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not placing more importance on this than Gazan lives. I've been clear about this in several previous posts, and my stance, for what it's worth, is resolutely against these current Israeli actions.

It's legitimate to raise alternative strands of this without being accused of minimising other issues, so I haven't appreciated being shouted down on this (not that you have).
Totally, it's extremely difficult to do it, feels like every post needs a lengthy disclaimer before the 2 lines of a new point you want to make.

JagUTD

Well, that poster was talking about future massacres of Jews "around the world", meaning outside of Israel, which are thankfully still fully hypothetical. So seems like a very appropriate choice of words to me.
Thankfully yes. However I don't really think its something that should be dismissed so flippantly when you consider where dangerous rhetoric has led us before, many times.

Its not as if several politicians haven't also made the same point, or numeorus Jewish people around the world. There not shutting schools or keeping businesses closed for a laugh, there's a genuine fear, supported by advice from the authorities concerned for their safety.

So yeh, belittling the poster over it was at best, unfair.

The Firestarter

This. Pretty sickening actually. That poster is banned now but how the non reactions to it were rather telling.

JagUTD

You can understand the fear and desperation the Palestinian people in Gaza feel while also understanding why Jewish people are also worried, or why people may be worried for them

It's not one or the other. You don't need to counter every tragedy in one side with a tragedy the other side suffered. Some posters definitely need to think about that when there first thought is to immediately reference the other sides suffering.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
When you consider the terror being perpertrated in the west bank by the jewish settlers, to me the Jews are like animals, especially in the West Bank. The jewish settlers aren’t educated towards peace, nor do they want it. There is no such thing as a jewish homeland. The PA needs arming and should wipe out the settlements, not leave it to the people. The Palestinians right to walk through the streets of the West Bank is much more important than Jews right to movement and travel – this is the reality. This is the truth. A palestinians right to life outweighs any jews right to move on the streets.
As I said to Agent red, while I get that you're trying to highlight Ben Gvir's comments, this is a really deeply unpleasant post, especially as it wasn't immediately obvious to me (and will be even less obvious to others who don't follow this conflict as much as I do) until I'd read your post below it.

It honestly made me feel quite sick reading it in real time and, even in the context of trying to bring to light his comments (which also make me feel physically sick), I think the best thing would be to just delete both posts and perhaps think a little bit about how your posts are going to come across before posting them.

Edit: Its also the fact that it comes completely out of the blue and without any context. If it had come within the context of a conversation about the settlers or Ben Gvir specifically, with a poster downplaying their comments, it would at least have made more sense.

Tarrou

if we had a "not sure if parody, but I fecking hope so" thread this should go in there

nimic

something nice
Scout
As I said to Agent red, while I get that you're trying to highlight Ben Gvir's comments, this is a really deeply unpleasant post, especially as it wasn't immediately obvious to me (and will be even less obvious to others who don't follow this conflict as much as I do) until I'd read your post below it.

It honestly made me feel quite sick reading it in real time and, even in the context of trying to bring to light his comments (which also make me feel physically sick), I think the best thing would be to just delete both posts and perhaps think a little bit about how your posts are going to come across before posting them.

Edit: Its also the fact that it comes completely out of the blue and without any context. If it had come within the context of a conversation about the settlers or Ben Gvir specifically, with a poster downplaying their comments, it would at least have made more sense.
Yes, it was a massive case of bad decision making.

Mike Smalling

Thankfully yes. However I don't really think its something that should be dismissed so flippantly when you consider where dangerous rhetoric has led us before, many times.

Its not as if several politicians haven't also made the same point, or numeorus Jewish people around the world. There not shutting schools or keeping businesses closed for a laugh, there's a genuine fear, supported by advice from the authorities concerned for their safety.

So yeh, belittling the poster over it was at best, unfair.
I'm not sure anyone are flippantly dismissing the hateful rhetoric against Jews, or the increase in hate crimes against them. But the posters suggestion that downright massacres are basically inevitable is also not helpful. He then followed up by accusing someone of justifying the imaginery massacre, because someone simply suggested that the hateful rhetoric is fueled by the actions of the Israeli government - it hasn't increased out of nowhere.

So, while a poster should not be belittled, I also don't think a bit of pushback is out of order, when someone is making up future massacres as certainties, and arguing in bad faith.

tomaldinho1

If this is true then this delay is not really a good thing for anyone. They're just getting ready for more war.
As an honest question, what is your take on that tweet? The author of the piece and what they might be trying to portray?

tomaldinho1

That's the whole point though, isn't it. If US wanted to they could change the situation, hold Israel to account, withhold military etc to the point where they're either forced to sit at the negotiating table with the Palestinians or for Israel to just sever ties with the US.

You're right though - because of anaemic US leadership.
But you could levy this charge at any large country - if Russia wanted to they could pull out of Ukraine, if China wanted to they could stop x,y or z border incursion. I think we have to unfortunately be somewhat realistic in expectations for all these countries and what they can and will do, if you are genuinely just arguing that the US could put a stop to Israel's attacks on Gaza, I don't think they actually could, there was always going to be some kind of reaction from Israel and you can just look back through history to see this happening time and time again.

Let's look at this objectively, what is the US doing that is somewhat unexpected? Biden on record talking about a two state solution is very big news, he's also spoken about Palestine as a state, there is also clear evidence of at least some positive influence on restraining Israel. As much as you look at the situation and, rightly, might think that is not 'enough' we should also have the ability to process the fact that it is something tangible. The ideal realistic, and that is the key word here, is Israel can be influenced to pause the ground invasion completely, the border clashes calm down and then countries come together and work out a way they can slowly weaken and eventually destroy Hamas. Palestine minus Hamas is well placed to have a bright future but it will take a lot of time and trust from all sides.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Superb thread but a brutal and sad read as well.

Something I was thinking of in terms of Netanyahu and his warlike rhetoric, as well as how long he's been in power....I don't think he's ever gone to war has he? He's always found a way to avoid it.

He is in unchartered territory here and isn't exactly doing a great job so far, considering he seems to be refusing to meet families of hostages/ has allies briefing against the IDF already?