Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

owlo

Just so bleak. What would I do if this happened to me? Probably just go on a personal suicide mission and take out as many IDF as possible. I mean, you're literally seeing your entire family die, how do you cope with that?

This will never end.
Yep… Hopeless. A whole generation will see the monolithic Israeli (and let’s be fair, Jew) as the enemy. Shades of grey between civs and IDF, but all the enemy, the oppressor, less than human, the system that killed their families. And you can’t blame them. Hates burns slow.

And it’s the same on the other side, a generation of terrified Israelis who cannot trust “the Palestinian “ (or the Muslim) because their only interaction is the hate and terror from these people. A circle of hatred.

Hopeless.

Kaos

London is such a cesspit. How can people have such little regard? A life Is a life. Ripping down posters of Israeli hostages is common practice
Glad someone has brought this up actually. I stumbled across one of these in my area and took a photo of it close up:

Note the last paragraph. 3000?

My guess is this isn't some bonafide attempt at helping find missing persons (what good would that be, asking Londoners if they're able to track down missing people in Israel?), but rather some sort of crude campaign, attempting to drown out the scale of suffering and devastation coming out of Gaza, by drawing some form of false equivalence in the numbers game.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's dangerous if true. We know Iran backed Hamas, funded them, hell probably equipped them. But trained and prepared a Hamas army in Iran for this attack? That looks like an act of war.
It also feeds into Netanyahu's long time narrative about Iran being behind all the instability in Israel (not to mention the possibility of Iranian nukes). Every Iranian proxy. -Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Houthis; have in the past few weeks attacked Israel, which will no doubt be scrutinized further in the coming weeks.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Something I was thinking of in terms of Netanyahu and his warlike rhetoric, as well as how long he's been in power....I don't think he's ever gone to war has he? He's always found a way to avoid it.
This is from the recent critical biography of Netanyahu from @Amir's Haaretz colleague Anshel Pfeffer:

"Netanyahu is no warmonger. For all his talk of confronting the Iranian threat, he has been too risk-averse to launch any wars—which is to his credit. He is the prime minister with the lowest casualty rates in Israel’s history."

Which seems a little strange when you consider his military career, during which he was a member and commander of the Sayeret Matkal unit of the IDF, responsible for engaging in daring and high-profile reconnaissance and rescue missions (his brother was famously killed during the unit's Entebbe rescue operation).

nickm

It also feeds into Netanyahu's long time narrative about Iran being behind all the instability in Israel (not to mention the possibility of Iranian nukes). Every Iranian proxy. -Hamas, Hezbollah, and the Houthis; have in the past few weeks attacked Israel, which will no doubt be scrutinized further in the coming weeks.
How can Israel NOT respond to that, if true? How can the US not get pulled in, if true?

owlo

It looks like sabre rattling designed to push the US into an overreaction without committing to the conflict. prod prod prod - Seems the US are determined to simply block until they land a punch. For whatever reason, the proxies don’t want to participate fully. posted in another thread -

it’s quite interesting how the US are simply taking a spanking again and keeping it on the downlow. Why are Iranian proxies not being turned to dust? Really looks like the US are trying to prevent conflict whilst they scramble assets into theater. You’d imagine guillot would stay on at centcom for now, even if it’s as a 4 star. They need his experience.

Did you see the marine generals comment about the MEU the other day?

owlo

How can Israel NOT respond to that, if true? How can the US not get pulled in, if true?
Israel have no benefit in opening more fronts. Gallant has been wanting a first strike against hezbollah, but it looks to have been warded off by Biden/bibi. They dont have the realistic capacity to engage elsewhere. See above for US reaction. (And the book I suggested in the thread on general.) The us are incredibly tolerant of Iranian shenanigans.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the US will be incentivized to avoid a broader conflict. The obvious caveat being that if one of the many recent Iranian attacks on US troops in Iraq winds up getting anyone hurt or killed, then the gloves will be off.

Amir

This is from the recent critical biography of Netanyahu from @Amir's Haaretz colleague Anshel Pfeffer:

"Netanyahu is no warmonger. For all his talk of confronting the Iranian threat, he has been too risk-averse to launch any wars—which is to his credit. He is the prime minister with the lowest casualty rates in Israel’s history."

Which seems a little strange when you consider his military career, during which he was a member and commander of the Sayeret Matkal unit of the IDF, responsible for engaging in daring and high-profile reconnaissance and rescue missions (his brother was famously killed during the unit's Entebbe rescue operation).
Yeah, I replied about it before. He is risk-averse, period. He's paranoid and easily pressured. And he realises that when you start a military operation, you never know it will end. So he tries to avoid it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Pretty sure you'd be at risk of getting fired from any job for saying entire countries, ethnicities or faith's were terrorists.
Pretty sure you wouldn't if you called Russia, any of the middle east countries terrorist states or even US/UK (based on their wars) terrorist countries.

Conor

Pretty sure you'd be at risk of getting fired from any job for saying entire countries, ethnicities or faith's were terrorists.
State of Israel meaning the Israeli government and military, not every Israeli in the country. Nobody should be getting fired for this nonsense, I hoped they get sued to feck.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure why you've brought ethnicities or faiths into it when she only referred to a country.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Netanyahu isn't stepping down. And he's got a big cult which believe he can do no wrong + a party that is totally servicing him.

I've heard he's finished so many times over the years. He's a survivor, I'll give him that.
I agree with you and know that you're far more knowledgeable on the matter than me, but I'm still personally convinced that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. He bet everything on security, and yet had the worst tragedy since the Holocaust happening on his watch, on Israeli soil.

No matter the cult behind him, I can't and refuse to believe that the Israeli society will put up with him after this war is over, unless too many people went off the deep end. I won't accept it, the Israelis are so much more than that.

This man is bad news, always was. His rightful place is in jail.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Just so bleak. What would I do if this happened to me? Probably just go on a personal suicide mission and take out as many IDF as possible. I mean, you're literally seeing your entire family die, how do you cope with that?

This will never end.
I was going to post this earlier (from an Arabic source) but I just felt empty after watching it. How can anyone live a life after this?

Shez

Why are people so seemingly afraid to admit they sympathise with either Hamas or Israel? There’s nothing wrong with having a position.

You can sympathise with Hamas and their militancy without condoning the 7th or a bunch of other stuff.

You can sympathise with Israel and the IDF without condoning terrorism in the West Bank and excess civilian deaths.
Talk about a disingenuous post: that’s not the choice. People can condemn both Hamas and Israel’s reaction while sympathizing with the Palestinian plight which is what most people are doing .

JagUTD

Pretty sure you wouldn't if you called Russia, any of the middle east countries terrorist states or even US/UK (based on their wars) terrorist countries.
Is it a risk you'd be willing to take using accounts linked to your employer?

Sweeping generalisations using platforms linked to your employment are not advisable.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Israel have no benefit in opening more fronts. Gallant has been wanting a first strike against hezbollah, but it looks to have been warded off by Biden/bibi. They dont have the realistic capacity to engage elsewhere. See above for US reaction. (And the book I suggested in the thread on general.) The us are incredibly tolerant of Iranian shenanigans.
They're already stretched by the Russia-Ukraine war and must keep an eye on China-Taiwan. They also have to manage their arab allies in the Middle-East.

It's perfectly understandable that they don't want the conflict to escalate, hence the quite astounding lenience when it comes to Iran.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They're already stretched by the Russia-Ukraine war and must keep an eye on China-Taiwan. They also have to manage their arab allies in the Middle-East.

It's perfectly understandable that they don't want the conflict to escalate, hence the quite astounding lenience when it comes to Iran.
Maybe if EU spends more on defense they could relieve the US here and there...but that's for a different thread.

Halftrack

Is it a risk you'd be willing to take using accounts linked to your employer?

Sweeping generalisations using platforms linked to your employment are not advisable.
Referring to a country as a terrorist state isn't a sweeping generalisation, it's a comment on its state apparatus.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

344 children in the last 24 hours alone. It's horrific. The IDF and Israel are a bunch of pussies. Sitting in a room pushing buttons and killing kids. Wearing full body armour to deal with an enemy who has rocks and slingshots.

Israeli think tank lays out a blueprint for the complete ethnic cleansing of Gaza – Mondoweiss

Israeli think tank lays out a blueprint for the complete ethnic cleansing of Gaza
An Israeli think tank with ties to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a report on October 17 promoting the "unique and rare opportunity" for the “relocation and final settlement of the entire Gaza population.”