Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Idxomer

Oh, and they aren't going to sanction anyone in the IOF for their murders and rapes in the West Bank.

People shouldn't be posting anything from that Barak Ravid account without mentioning that it's likely nonsense and an essential part of the propaganda coordinated between the US and Israel.

nickm

Nothing new and many, many independent journalistic sources (bless them) pointed to it the minute the freedom merchants' decision was known.

The timing of the UNRWA torpedoing, which happened on the exact same day the ICJ ruled for a plausible case of genocide against Israel, tells you everything you need you need to know.

Such a coordinated action could never have been carried out in a matter of hours. This was planned in advance, in case Israel doesn't get it its way, and all the double-faced war criminals who signed on it should be tried before the Hague (not that it'll ever happen). You've been witnessing Western supported crimes against humanity live for the past six months, UNRWA being one episode among many.
Fact check but ICJ did not rule for a plausible case of genocide, despite what’s been said. Here is the former president of the ICJ explaining what the ruling was.

Idxomer

I am not going to post the tweet, but there's an image of a small child with his hand tied retrieved from the mass grave; he was buried at 3 meters depth to accelerate decomposition.

Raven

Fact check but ICJ did not rule for a plausible case of genocide, despite what’s been said. Here is the former president of the ICJ explaining what the ruling was.

What she says there makes no sense.

nickm

What she says there makes no sense.
She is in the hair splitting business, I suppose. But she was saying it is plausible that Palestinians have a right to be protected by the ICJ, under the genocide conventions, because they are “a distinct national, ethnic or religious group”. That was the specific ruling. While the court noted there were claims about genocide, and there was a real risk of “irreparable prejudice” to the plausible rights of Palestinians, it did not make a ruling on the claims themselves. It also said that Israel must (in short) abide by the genocide convention. Make of that what you will. (FYI, I’m paraphrasing and quoting from the ICJ ruling)

Last edited:

Raven

She is in the hair splitting business, I suppose. But she was saying it is plausible that Palestinians have a right to be protected by the ICJ, under the genocide conventions, because they are “a distinct national, ethnic or religious group”. That was the specific ruling. While the court noted there were claims about genocide, and there was a real risk of “irreparable prejudice” to the plausible rights of Palestinians, it did not make a ruling on the claims themselves. It also said that Israel must (in short) abide by the genocide convention. Make of that what you will. (FYI, I’m paraphrasing and quoting from the ICJ ruling)
That still doesn't make any sense to me really.

nickm

In a nutshell, the Palestinians are entitled to the protections of the ICJ, that Palestinians are indeed v vulnerable; whether or not genocide is occurring is TBC, however Israel in the meantime has to take measures to make sure there isn’t one.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In a nutshell, the Palestinians are entitled to the protections of the ICJ.
That's how I surmised her long winded response as well. They are entitled to protections, but the ruling made no reference to the actual events on the ground preceding its release which is what most were interested in.

Idxomer

I just now understand that this is about a judge in the genocide case giving an interview. I find it weird that a judge in a case like this is giving an interview, but ok. That seems more like purely legal talk about the South African arguments and their initial findings. She says in the interview, "There is a risk of irreparable harm to the Palestinian right to be protected from genocide." Why would there be that kind of risk unless some of the acts Israel is taking are genocidal?

This is from the case documents.
"In the Court’s view, the facts and circumstances mentioned above are sufficient to conclude that at least some of the rights claimed by South Africa and for which it is seeking protection are plausible. This is the case with respect to the right of the Palestinians in Gaza to be protected from acts of genocide and related prohibited acts identified in Article III, and the right of South Africa to seek Israel’s compliance with the latter’s obligations under the Convention".
"In light of the considerations set out above, the Court considers that there is urgency, in the sense that there is a real and imminent risk that irreparable prejudice will be caused to the rights found by the Court to be plausible, before it gives its final decision".

This is a more detailed response to the interview.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1783846217027293681.html

Idxomer

To add people aren't actually saying it's genocide because of a case that will take years. It's because of what they see with their own eyes. People took that an international organization, despite them playing politics proceeding with the case and acknowledging the suffering of Palestinians as a win against the prevalent racism toward them. And yes you can see from the court's findings that there's a serious risk of genocide toward Palestinians in Gaza.

Some prefer to stay silent till the court makes its final ruling or engage in atrocity denialism during that time. Others believe that they should do something before the death toll reaches 100,000 or more.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The case has collapsed, but also has the unrwa and people are being killed, so mission accomplished.

The whole "let's believe israel until we figure it out" mindset needs to change to "let's assume israel is lying until we figure it out", otherwise they'll keep winning every single time.

Idxomer

I doubted was going anywhere from the beginning. They leaked it through their stenographer. If they were going to do it, why not just announce it right away?

These weren't even sanctions, it was an application of a US law. They are admitting that their colony is a rogue state and they are loving it.

Super Hans

Ever wanted a thread of Israel's most egregious lies supported with documentation over the last 6 months? Wonderful work.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Israel lies pathologically!<br>Aof dozens of conclusively debunked Israeli gov lies since Oct 7, off the top of my head<br><br>1- The IDF blatantly claimed this underground WATER TANK was a &quot;Hamas tunnel&quot; their ground troops discovered at the Qatari hospital in Gaza on Nov 5 2023… <a href="https://t.co/sI2Y8Ky3YE">pic.twitter.com/sI2Y8Ky3YE</a></p>&mdash; Muhammad Shehada (@muhammadshehad2) <a href="">April 23, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
These included repeatedly striking protected sites and civilian infrastructure; "unconscionably high levels of civilian harm to military advantage"; taking little action to investigate violations or to hold to account those responsible for significant civilian harm and "killing humanitarian workers and journalists at an unprecedented rate."