Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Superden

Yes he can. Just as anyone on this forum could call a fascist group Nazis. People have called Suella a Nazi. Are you going to get hysterical over that?
I find it morally repugnant that the holocaust is used to defend apartheid against Palestinians.
What would Hamas do if there was peace. Take up a green agenda? Gardening?
they could team up with the IDF and look to disarm the lunatic facist settlers?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
A load of cnutish stuff. This just forces their hand to escalate though. Hamas have conceivably killed more Israelis in 12 hours than Israel have palestinians in a decade.
From wiki.
"According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Human Affairs database, as of 20 March 2023, there have been 6,269 Palestinian and 293 Israeli fatalities since 1 January 2008.[266]"

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What's this belief of yours based on?
https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...y-israel/0000017f-ea1d-d4a6-af7f-fedfaedd0000

https://www.stimson.org/2023/what-drives-israel-iran-hostility-how-might-it-be-resolved/

Iran’s Islamists consider Israel an illegitimate state that has usurped Muslim/Arab lands and driven the Palestinians from their homeland. They believe Israel should be replaced by a non-denominational state in which Muslims and Jews live as equals. Some Iranian officials have expressed this view in terms that Israel has interpreted as threats to destroy it, like when former president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad spoke of wiping Israel off the pages of history, quoting Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the late leader of the 1979 revolution. However, this is not the only perspective within Iranian polity. Moderate and reformist elements accept Israel’s reality and its right to exist, alongside a Palestinian state

https://www.institutmontaigne.org/en/expressions/what-does-iran-really-want

Iran’s support for the Palestinian cause and its rhetoric of an ongoing war against Israel should be read in this context. If it was up to the Iranian people, a large majority would be in favor of normalizing relations with the Jewish state. And if seen from a sectarian perspective, Jerusalem is mostly a holy site of Sunni heritage and is not central to the Shia tradition. It is true that Ayatollah Khomeini was an early champion of the Palestinian cause, but in retrospect, that stance seems to have served more as an alibi to hide the narrowly Shia nature of his project. Iran’s anti-Israeli militancy serves multiple purposes, the most important of which is to argue that the Jewish state’s military power and behavior justify Iran’s own military and nuclear program. As to Iran’s arming of the Sunni movement Hamas in Gaza, it serves to maintain an indirect presence on Israel’s southwestern flank while driving a wedge into the Sunni front of Arab countries.

It feels like, one speech, several decades ago is being held onto and misinterpreted as cause justify in order to promote certain policies and geopolitics.

I see it more, they want a two state solution, rather than to destroy every Israeli.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's interesting isn't it. Very few people care if non-white civilians die but it's a whole different story if white civilians are being killed.
You're looking at this from a Western view I think. Does the Middle East care about Uyghurs in China? Or about Pakistani migrant workers dying in Qatar?

Insults are not acceptable

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Insulting each other solves nothing
Use the thread constructively or there will be action

+anyone calling the mod team idiots or cowards will face action too. We can’t be here 24/7. This is not our full time jobs

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Quick scan through Israeli twitter accounts. Lots of criticism aimed at Netanyahu's government. Then again, getting attacked tends to unify a country so maybe Netanyahu comes out of this with more support.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're looking at this from a Western view I think. Does the Middle East care about Uyghurs in China?
The civilians I know who know about it do yeah. The governments are almost all to a country dictatorships that don't represent the will of their people in any way.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
@calodo2003 I stand corrected. Looks like it could be somewhat real; drone dropped grenade to trick trophy followed by a vampir on the engine compartment from approximately the turrets direction. There's videos of them dragging out and beating the dead crew member and partying once they get the tank to Gaza. Hopefully the others bailed safely.
No worries! I honestly have no idea what you are talking about!

Drizzle

It's obvious we have to avoid hatred and polarisation, otherwise we're all in trouble.

It's sensible and rational to be disgusted by gunning down families, hunting civilians, and dancing on dead bodies. This is not 'resistance'. It's mass murder and war crimes. Obviously Israel has to react hard to this.

Also, the Israeli occupation is a stain on the region and it's not acceptable for western govts to look the other way. It has to end eventually, and Palestinians and Israelis are going to have to coexist somehow. It's obviously going to be years or decades away, and be at the cost of many lives. So sad.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Superden

It's interesting isn't it. Very few people care if non-white civilians die but it's a whole different story if white civilians are being killed.
there was a piece on LBC this morning, a live interview of a woman caller from a flat in tel aviv. and it was harrowing, hearing her palpable fear. then you think about the hundreds of occasions when women living in Gaza tower blocks (without access to state of the art safe rooms and emergency response etc) and you think how many interviews have LBC have done with them.

I can understand whey people here in the west sympathise and then empathise with the Israelis, because they look and sound more like 'us', and we hear their stories.

how many of you saw this?
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...-undress/0000018a-6187-d895-ab8b-6fe7b7860000

now imagine if it was the other way round...

owlo

Sorry, I'm lost. Your first response this time was to ask what choice Israel has.

Most major powers aren't occupying another people though or have already ethnically cleansed the ones they were (USA/Canada). And yes when they were (imperial times), this is indeed exactly how they acted.
I'll clarify: Through the lens of a Western nation, what choice do you feel Israel has now other than massive retaliation?

Because they've already subjugated them as you say. And when there is an uprising like 9/11 they respond in a brutal fashion, with scant regard for the life of those outside their country. I'm not saying Israel is right, just that this is how its been done for hundreds of years when there's a power imbalance. They've always destroyed housing/crops/civilians or anything else that might provide insurgents refuge. It's what Russia/Syria are doing to the rebels, and what Turkey are doing to the Kurds. It's 'normal' because humans suck.

Superden

It's obvious we have to avoid hatred and polarisation, otherwise we're all in trouble.

It's sensible and rational to be disgusted by gunning down families, hunting civilians, and dancing on dead bodies. This is not 'resistance'. It's mass murder and war crimes. Obviously Israel has to react hard to this.

Also, the Israeli occupation is a stain on the region and it's not acceptable for western govts to look the other way. It has to end eventually, and Palestinians and Israelis are going to have to coexist somehow. It's obviously going to be years or decades away, and be at the cost of many lives. So sad.
You love peace, and the smell of napalm.

owlo

From wiki.
"According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Human Affairs database, as of 20 March 2023, there have been 6,269 Palestinian and 293 Israeli fatalities since 1 January 2008.[266]"
2008 isn't the last decade, and that number refers to total fatalities not civilians.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Well said mate.

The Original

This is what you said:

"The two-state solution has been made impossible by Iran's official state policy of annihilating Israel and the official river-to-the-sea ideology of its proxy, Hamas, and other Palestinian groups."

So fine, Palestinian groups and Iran. Literally no mention at all of Israel's own position and approaches to the talks.

Out of interest, if Russia offered a ceasefire today with current lines and an end to the war and Ukraine refused....would you frame it as Ukraine being the official party which refused the peace talks?
What other way would there be to "frame" it? Obviously in that scenario it would indeed be Ukraine turning down a ceasefire.

Facts are not subject to how one may feel about them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'll clarify: Through the lens of a Western nation, what choice do you feel Israel has now other than massive retaliation?

Because they've already subjugated them as you say. And when there is an uprising like 9/11 they respond in a brutal fashion, with scant regard for the life of those outside their country. I'm not saying Israel is right, just that this is how its been done for hundreds of years when there's a power imbalance. They've always destroyed housing/crops/civilians or anything else that might provide insurgents refuge. It's what Russia/Syria are doing to the rebels, and what Turkey are doing to the Kurds. It's 'normal' because humans suck.
Israel's choice will be a massive retaliation and destruction. There is no doubt about that. I also have no doubt in my mind that the Palestinians have 'lost' already, like I said, even if they themselves haven't yet realised.

Flipping it the other side, what choice do you feel Palestinians have/ have had? What choice have they had? There's the idealistic answer and the realpolitik answer (which as I said above, indicates they probably should just roll over and give up, because they've lost).

I think what bothers some is that the Turkish and Russian actions are seen as (rightly) awful, receive condemnation, get called Orcs on here yada yada and not compulsory but the Israeli ones are not.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What other way would there be to "frame" it? Obviously in that scenario it would indeed be Ukraine turning down a ceasefire.

Facts are not subject to how one may feel about them.
Most on here would frame it as a fake offer and not in any way shape or form a real or just peace. And would put at least a portion, if not the majority of the blame, at the hands of Russia.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
You're looking at this from a Western view I think. Does the Middle East care about Uyghurs in China? Or about Pakistani migrant workers dying in Qatar?
The people in charge may not but I'm pretty sure ordinary people living in those countries do tend to empathise with others who are suffering

Drizzle

You love peace, and the smell of napalm.
I love peace. Sadly, no country will react to hundreds of its civilians being murdered in cold blood with an offer of a hug and a strongly worded letter. Nobody is going to enjoy this spiral of escalation and death other than extremists on both sides. It's going to be horror.

owlo

Israel's choice will be a massive retaliation and destruction. There is no doubt about that. I also have no doubt in my mind that the Palestinians have 'lost' already, like I said, even if they themselves haven't yet realised.

Flipping it the other side, what choice do you feel Palestinians have/ have had? What choice have they had? There's the idealistic answer and the realpolitik answer (which as I said above, indicates they probably should just roll over and give up, because they've lost).

I think what bothers some is that the Turkish and Russian actions are seen as (rightly) awful, receive condemnation, get called Orcs on here yada yada and not compulsory but the Israeli ones are not.
None, except to get the hell out of there and make a life for themselves elsewhere. Ideally with reparation payments from regional powers primarily Israel and Jordan. Realistically I agree with you.

It's why there's so much immigration to the West from the rest of the world. (and from the USA!) Because there is a tacit acceptance that they have 'lost' and need to get out of there before dying to a local warlord or local authority.

There's next to no coverage about the Russian atrocities in Syria, or about Turkey. I'd say there's more focus on Israel than either.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Civilians, not total casualties. UN HRC figures are around 2000 I believe for the decade. (very much napkin maths) - If the scenes on the streets aren't exaggerated, 2000 is conceivable today.

Navalny calls immigrants cockroaches, Braverman says whatever, trump called them rapists and murderers and black people imbeciles. Rhetoric like that is horrible but happens everywhere to play to political audiences. That's not the sort of escalation which results in this.
Fecking hell. Is this peak whataboutism??
Trump nearly incited a massacre on Jan 6 with that rhetoric. It's not just playing to an audience. It's priming them for bloodshed.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

That's all nice to say but the fact is that nothing from the international community or Israel has indicated that there is hope Palestinians will get any justice or peace. It's actually going on the opposite direction with more evictions, land grabs, settlements and violence.

The Original

Most on here would frame it as a fake offer and not in any way shape or form a real or just peace. And would put at least a portion, if not the majority of the blame, at the hands of Russia.
Curious how you arrived at a consensus on behalf of most on here? And not sure why it matters, in any case, what most on here would have to say. You asked me in particular and I'm not subject to most on here.

Your question and your follow-up are also incongruous. If Party A asks for peace and Party B says no, then it is Party B who opposes the peace at that point. If you meant to ask, whether I would say Party B was right or wrong in refusing the peace offer, that is an entirely different question. That could depend indeed, on whether it is militarily advantageous for the offering party, and therefore duplicitous; whether the offer does not provide reasonable assurances of good relations; whether the offer makes no genuine concessions, and so forth.

I also doubt "most on here" if that is the standard of right and wrong you choose to adopt, would then subsequently agree that Ukrainians would be right to enter Russian cities and massacre innocent civilians in a truly barbraric and depraved fashion.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Your question and your follow-up are also incongruous. If Party A asks for peace and Party B says no, then it is Party B who opposes the peace at that point. If you meant to ask, whether I would say Party B was right or wrong in refusing the peace offer, that is an entirely different question. That could depend indeed, on whether it is militarily advantageous for the offering party, and therefore duplicitous; whether the offer does not provide reasonable assurances of good relations; whether the offer makes no genuine concessions, and so forth.
This is just semantics.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
People should really watch the videos of what friendly Palestinian terrorists are doing to the dead bodies of Israelis, how they’re man handling captured Israeli women, imagine what they will do to her in the name of what their religion permits against the Jews? Why do I say religion? In every clip they’re screaming god is great.

I can’t wait for everyone to come out and condemn Israel for fighting back though against such peaceful people.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It seems there's been a significant number of hostages taken, which means this crisis will run and run, and does not bode well for those taken.

When I was in Israel we were always taught to hide alone in this scenario, never in groups. A hostage taker is unlikely to kill their captive if they are the only one. If you have ten hostages, one becomes much more expendable. Judging from the videos we've seen I'd say there's around ten we know about, it could be many times more in reality.

golden_blunder

Staff
there was a piece on LBC this morning, a live interview of a woman caller from a flat in tel aviv. and it was harrowing, hearing her palpable fear. then you think about the hundreds of occasions when women living in Gaza tower blocks (without access to state of the art safe rooms and emergency response etc) and you think how many interviews have LBC have done with them.

I can understand whey people here in the west sympathise and then empathise with the Israelis, because they look and sound more like 'us', and we hear their stories.

how many of you saw this?
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...-undress/0000018a-6187-d895-ab8b-6fe7b7860000

now imagine if it was the other way round...
I don’t think whataboutism helps anyone. Killing of innocent people on either side is unacceptable.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interesting that you only have to go a few pages back to 219/220 to see the types of disgusting and unlawful crimes/murders Israeli forces committed against Palestinians with barely any replies compared to the full chest responses now.

golden_blunder

Staff
Interesting that you only have to go a few pages back to 219/220 to see the types of disgusting and unlawful crimes/murders Israeli forces committed against Palestinians with barely any replies compared to the full chest responses now.
Let’s not encourage whataboutism

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
People should really watch the videos of what friendly Palestinian terrorists are doing to the dead bodies of Israelis, how they’re man handling captured Israeli women, imagine what they will do to her in the name of what their religion permits against the Jews? Why do I say religion? In every clip they’re screaming god is great.

I can’t wait for everyone to come out and condemn Israel for fighting back though against such peaceful people.
Do people condemn Israel for fighting back against Hamas or do people condemn Israel for killing civilians? Pretty big distinction there I think

What do you think the appropriate response by Israel is to this, just out of interest? Would Israel be justified in carpet bombing Gaza and killing Palestinian civilians now, in your view?