It’s the players, not the manager

mancan92

For the longest time I really thought the players could become great. I thought the player with the best mentality in the game would be able to get a tune out of these. But the truth is their mentality is broken most of them are not top players and never will be.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Every single one of those players are not fit to wear the jersey for one reason or another other than DDG.

The rest are eithers weak willed , Lazy, too old, not good enough or have a bad attitude or a combo.
They are playing at their level. The people in the stands expect what Ferguson gave them
Those days are over!

Back to square one. COmplete clear out needed and team rebuild.

Drz

Got to be talking about Rashford, surely? He could've done so much more to try and prevent that second goal, he was lazily jogging back the entire time.
The very same thing stood out for me on that right side, i was getting angry before the Saints even scored...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Feck this shit. It is always the manager's fault. Manager is the accountable leader. If players suck - stop starting them and demand to get better ones. And if the club doesn't back you - have some self respect and piss off.

There is never any excuse for a manager whose club is in disarray. Never. Our players suck but ultimately it is the manager's fault.

Case in point - look how well DvB is playing for Everton. RR wouldnt even give him a chance. For feck's sake - why? If it was RR's choice then he sucks and if he cant start who he wants because somebody in the club overrides him then he is a puppet

Zoo

Feck this shit. It is always the manager's fault. Manager is the accountable leader. If players suck - stop starting them and demand to get better ones. And if the club doesn't back you - have some self respect and piss off.

There is never any excuse for a manager whose club is in disarray. Never. Our players suck but ultimately it is the manager's fault.

Case in point - look how well DvB is playing for Everton. RR wouldnt even give him a chance. For feck's sake - why? If it was RR's choice then he sucks and if he cant start who he wants because somebody in the club overrides him then he is a puppet
It’s one game for VdB against Leeds who are the most open team in the league.

Abraxas

Ralf Rangnick is a caretaker manager, what's to say he can make huge demands, and even if we did he's only had a January transfer window to work with and he only has one squad to work with, he can't drop everybody. If you're caretaker on 6 months you don't necessarily have that much leverage.

If he was going to drop people that haven't performed over their United career we would be picking an entire side of youngsters because there are very few success stories. There isn't much to work with, throwing out VDB as if that summarises everything is not quite accurate because it is one, individual player. There aren't 10 people queuing up to start in this side, for the most part the best players are playing.

There pretty clearly is mitigation, a bad squad, no style of play, players out of contract and unhappy. You might not like it, none of us like not getting the results but you have to be a bit more balanced and reasoned instead of going off on illogical rants. I'm not saying Ralf is beyond any criticism as maybe mistakes are being made and ultimately he has to achieve an outcome this season for his spell to be deemed a success but throwing everything at the manager's door after 13 games mid way through a poor season is just wrong.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We need to let Pogba walk, Matic and Mata retire, Wan Bissaka try his luck in the NFL, Maguire go on an all wages paid trip back to Hull, Ronaldo run for mayor on Madeira, Rashford move full time into charity work, McTominay move to Hamilton Academicals on a free, and the Glazers can go and roll in their own shit. Then we might have a chance.

The Constant Gardener

It's the whole structure of the club.

We give the players far too much power with obscene and undeserved massive contracts that make them feel like they don't have to put any effort in because they have 'made it'. This filters through to other players and they put their heads down when they see underperforming staff get paid huge amounts. Also it makes them extremely difficult to get rid of because no other club would pay the fee United demand plus the exorbitant wages.

Need a total cultural reboot lads and it won't be pretty.

Moriarty

Woodgate and Bowyer as assistant coaches.

ps still can't believe a rapist is called Goodwillie.
And Jodie Morris to abuse visiting tourists. When Mendy gets out, we can roll out the red carpet for him too. Goodwillie. You really couldn't make it up.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
And Jodie Morris to abuse visiting tourists. When Mendy gets out, we can roll out the red carpet for him too. Goodwillie. You really couldn't make it up.
It's almost like football isn't a very nice world...

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Would love to know what Rangnick is saying at half time.
Ole was clearly are poor technical coach but he had the ability it seems to give a Rudyard Kipling speech at half time to get a reaction. We all had a laugh but it was unreal the amount of times it happened.
I think Rangnick gives them a lap dance because they continually come out with their heads up their arse. What the hell is going on.

wolvored

With absolutely no evidence whatsoever, on this page of the thread alone we have four different posters blindly blaming 'the English players'. What is it with people being desperate to factionalise the club? It's almost as if we have so many fans who support a single player, or group of players, rather than the club. I have never seen a club were so many of our so-called fans actively dislike or have an agenda against some of our players, without really a single good reason.

I could perhaps get on board with the theory that Lingard is disgruntled and firing off to his mates, but why would Maguire or Shaw complain? They have both started pretty much every game, when fit and available. Why would Henderson, a GK, be complaining about playing too much 11 vs 11 in training? Would be an odd gripe for a GK.

In my opinion, it is equally likely the moaning could be coming from someone like Ronaldo. We know he hasn't always been happy with Rangnick and I can't imagine he enjoyed being left out against Burnley....guess what...two days later, we have another leak. No mention of his name though, it's these 'English' players apparently...

Or....another equally likely theory....it's all just bollocks, made up by clickbait websites because you guys all swallow it hook, like and sinker and boost their engagements.
The leaks were happening before Ronaldo came here.

Tap

It’s one game for VdB against Leeds who are the most open team in the league.
But u know if VDB were to remain here, he would still only get 5 mins of game time against Leeds, if at all.

diarm

For years this has been a joke, said with a chuckle followed by a brief silence while you imagine the car crash - but at this stage, I'd seriously consider bringing Keane in for 6 months as assistant manager.

What is there to lose? The players are already "upset" and half of them are already leaving soon. Just let him loose to weed out the spoofers who will never be part of a successful team and then start from scratch with whatever is left when he's done.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
For years this has been a joke, said with a chuckle followed by a brief silence while you imagine the car crash - but at this stage, I'd seriously consider bringing Keane in for 6 months as assistant manager.

What is there to lose? The players are already "upset" and half of them are already leaving soon. Just let him loose to weed out the spoofers who will never be part of a successful team and then start from scratch with whatever is left when he's done.
bring in keano till the end of the season what are you talking about. The club is rotten from top to bottom, awful decisions contracts extensions being payed loads of money for 5hite players. Today a lad played for Everton ran the show and hasn’t even been given a chance for United. Something is drastically wrong with that club but it is not the managers or especially not this one who actually says we are awful, it’s the culture the vibe the owners lurking in the background we are absolutely doomed but rangnick is a brilliant football person, the players and the board are the ones who need replacing

diarm

bring in keano till the end of the season what are you talking about. The club is rotten from top to bottom, awful decisions contracts extensions being payed loads of money for 5hite players. Today a lad played for Everton ran the show and hasn’t even been given a chance for United. Something is drastically wrong with that club but it is not the managers or especially not this one who actually says we are awful, it’s the culture the vibe the owners lurking in the background we are absolutely doomed but rangnick is a brilliant football person, the players and the board are the ones who need replacing
You want to try breathing bud.

Who said anything about replacing anyone?

RedDevilQuebecois

With the way players keep on being thick on top of showing no skill and no intensity, it's like having 15 Dele Allis on board.

Yakuza_devils

It's unbelievable that professional football players being paid millions per year and playing for the biggest club in the world can't run and press in a football game for 90 mins. Even Hassenhuttl pointed out the main and obvious reason we drew/almost lost against Southampton.

With this fact alone, tell us all we need to know about this lot unprofessional attitudes and lack of efforts. They don't deserve to be Man Utd player if they don't give their 100% on and off the pitch.

We need a manager to take back the power from the players. We are the only team in PL that has lowest run and press stat. This is embarrassing and unacceptable. Either you follow the manager instructions or you are out of the club.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just watching motd and Danny Murphy highlights the complete lack of pressing by Sancho and Rashford. It's criminal to be frank.

Polar

The squad is a patchwork quilt built over long time. It’s impossible for any manager to succeed if the club continue with incremental changes (transfers) when half the squad sucks.

Even though the team didn’t meet our high expectations, it seems like Ole (until this season) was able to get out the squad’s potential, maybe they even overperformed.

This season the truth about the squad was revealed, and Rangnick has a very very difficult task. I support Rangnick all the way; eventually successful moments I will credit him, and when the team disappoint I will blame the players.:drool:

Last edited:

MonkeysMagic

I dont think the majority of Utd fans would be disappointed if the first team squad was replaced in its entirety! Never going to happen of course, at best 3/4 might leave but I really can't be bothered with this lot...these limp performances will continue till May and then they will disappear off on their hidays 'raring to come back stronger'!

croadyman

It's the whole structure of the club.

We give the players far too much power with obscene and undeserved massive contracts that make them feel like they don't have to put any effort in because they have 'made it'. This filters through to other players and they put their heads down when they see underperforming staff get paid huge amounts. Also it makes them extremely difficult to get rid of because no other club would pay the fee United demand plus the exorbitant wages.

Need a total cultural reboot lads and it won't be pretty.
Yeah player power and leaks are an issue

wina87

Like Mourinho ? But when he did that ,the people called him toxic , the fans side with the players. It makes the players know that they have more power than the manager have less responsibilities and could just blame every mess on the manager instead ,fanbase allow it to happen especially all those player fc fans.
If the player down tooled just because they don't like the manager , then let the manager either bench or bin them. Cause it means they lack professionalism , they have to play for the club , the fans , and for the salary they earn every week , not just for the manager.

The AS Roma board have made it clear that any players unhappy with the management of José Mourinho will be leaving, not the coach. Mourinho will be fully supported by the club this summer, allowing him to aggressively challenge his team to improve [Corriere dello Sport]
i think that is why Mourinho went to Roma after both United and Spurs board betrayed him. Giving more power to the players will never end well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Resorted to watching old United highlights for therapy atm. Every time I think of my club atm, I feel sick. Yet, I know I’m a typical spoilt fan. We have no right to be successful. People follow a football club all their lives and never see a single trophy. I’ll follow them through thick and thin, but my god it hurts. The worst thing about it is the lack of honesty and integrity. I would feel ok if I felt the players were giving their all. I would feel ok if I didn’t have this nagging feeling that those in power at the club are focused on commercial endeavours and 4th spot in the league over getting us back to ‘where we belong’. I would rather get relegated with fighting spirit than the current dross and excuse-ridden formula that is being dished out week after week. Players moaning on the field every two minutes (sorry, includes Ronaldo), etc. Buying players like DVB and never giving them a chance under two different managers when our current CM partnership is substandard. I’m tired.

dinostar77

I'm noting that we consistently play worse in the second half. Therefore the problem is fitness. The players are expending too much energy making up for their lack of pressing finesse. Other teams have noticed this and are sitting back a little in first half and then going on the offensive.

Also Ronaldo is too old.
Southampton manager basically said the same about us. We can press for 30/40mins and thats it. After that Southampton came back into the game. The fitness levels of the players needs to go up massively to be able to press as RR wants.

Hackman2210

Utd of Alex Ferguson doesn’t exist anymore. That club is dead and gone. He made a great move out at the right time. Player power, wages, image rights, insta - it’s a new breed of player now. That being said Peps got the hang of it. They are throwing money around but they are buying a better quality of player in general. Bernardo silva was always class - where was our bid for him? Depressing - I watch them now and just hope for a glimmer of the fergie years. I’m like an addict coming back time and time again to a drug that doesn’t get me as high as it used too…… Sort it out for fecks sake!! This is killing our glorious club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pulled apart on MOTD analysis for their lack of effort.

Yakuza_devils

Ajax's players are being paid much less than our prima donnas here but willingly run and press 90 mins for ETH.

With this lot here, ETH has no chance Even Klopp/Pep has no chance. All this lot are willing/able to do is only 30 mins of running/pressing.

Even Southampton players work much harder than our team. These prima donnas are stealing a living in Man Utd.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Southampton manager basically said the same about us. We can press for 30/40mins and thats it. After that Southampton came back into the game. The fitness levels of the players needs to go up massively to be able to press as RR wants.
The fitness is only half the story. Pressing efficiency (aka technique) is the other half. Our players are too young or too uncoached to be positionally experienced so they waste what energy they have. It's going to take a long time and many of them will never adapt.

And Ronaldo and Cavani are too old.

There's an old joke about two bulls, father and son, who come across a field full of cows at the top of a hill.

The son says 'Hey Dad, lets run up the hill and feck a cow."

The dad says "No Son, let's walk up the hill and feck all of them."

That's our first half pressing.

Pulled apart on MOTD analysis for their lack of effort.
I honestly don't think the MotD pundits really have a great tactical overview. It's a bit of an empty watch most of the time.

Last edited: