Film IT: Chapter 2 (2019)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Have they tried turning it off and on again?
:lol:

It's one of King's better (best even) books and funnily one of his dumbest endings, imo.

was it ever explained why they had to have sex with the girl? I doubt even King knows

It's like he gets bored with writing the story at some point and tries to quickly finish it with some bullshit.
Plot-wise it was a way of bonding the group so they would be able to escape, I think. I think King was thinking on a more metaphorical level though, where it marks the point the characters' childhood becomes adulthood. I suppose one could also argue that it had a purpose for Bev's character in that it was a moment where she had agency over and joy from her sexuality (as opposed to having it used against her by her father, husband and others), though that would be a very generous reading of the sexual politics of that scene.

But yeah, it's a mess of an ending.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
:lol:

Plot-wise it was a way of bonding the group so they would be able to escape, I think. I think King was thinking on a more metaphorical level though, where it marks the point the characters' childhood becomes adulthood. I suppose one could also argue that it had a purpose for Bev's character in that it was a moment where she had agency over and joy from her sexuality (as opposed to having it used against her by her father, husband and others), though that would be a very generous reading of the sexual politics of that scene.

But yeah, it's a mess of an ending.
I’m guessing that they didn’t include the scene where Henry gets a handjob from his bully friend either?

JoaquinJoaquin

Exactly. What a joke.

An interdimensional, world-eating, being is defeated by some childish name calling.

Pure shit.
Was hilarious how they defeated him with names. Especially the social justice warrior ''You are a BULLY!" I laughed my head off at that.

buckooo1978

this was pure shit in all honesty.....expected something decent as Chapter 1 was a solid 6 out of 10 and had potential

an awful plot, cliche, predictable scenes and an ending that was so underwhelming

it also had the cheek to drag out the epilogue to more than the 30 seconds it deserved.

the only good thing about this movie is that it isnt Insidious the Last Key

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I watched chapter 1 the other day and it wasn't anything to write home about either. We were actually laughing at some of the stuff. There was absolutely nothing scary about it.

I don't remember the original being so shoddy, but i was a kid when i watched it. I don't remember being anywhere near as scared by it then as i was Halloween and a few others. The suspense and jumps just aren't there with the IT films. Nothing will ever best the original Halloween films for me. They don't know how to make horror films anymore.

SATA

I didn’t like the ritual thing but i thought it was pretty okay. I just wanted the group to hunt down the clown and fight him which is what i pay my ticket for. Three hours flew by pretty quickly but the middle part was a bit of a chore to get through

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
King has been writing shit endings for many years now. Others include The Dark Half, The Long Walk, Cell, Christine.

I did like the endings of The Dead Zone and 11/22/63. And Firestarter.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The ending of The Stand was yet another Garth Marenghi effort.

spaceboyRSA

The stand bummed me out. Such a good book until the end.

The Dome also had a super rubbish ending.

Doctor sleeps ending wasnt bad.

GBBQ

Went in with extremely low expectations and was pleasantly surprised though it definitely had its problems.

its long but I didn't really notice it until the final half hour (where the continuous ending reminded me of LOTR Return of the King)
I thought the casting was pretty spot on with all characters being believable older versions of the kids from the first film (especially Eddie, Stan and Richie).
Its played more for laughs than scares with more jump scares than anything.
The older Bowers plot should have been cut. It was pretty much pointless.
Its a big dumb movie though and I am a sucker for these

meamth

...uhhh maybe they could step up the scale a bit?

For all the talk of the clown as the eater of worlds, they should make it even more threat.

Why do i feel like it's a same old shit?

Pennywise, the eater of worlds...MEH.

At least Stranger Things stepped up every season for bigger threat.

6/10 for me.

Shark

@NotShark
...uhhh maybe they could step up the scale a bit?

For all the talk of the clown as the eater of worlds, they should make it even more threat.

Why do i feel like it's a same old shit?

Pennywise, the eater of worlds...MEH.

At least Stranger Things stepped up every season for bigger threat.

6/10 for me.
Which they defeated by hurling insults at it. I’d give it a 5/10, played out more like a comedy than a horror movie, complete waste of a budget.

meamth

Which they defeated by hurling insults at it. I’d give it a 5/10, played out more like a comedy than a horror movie, complete waste of a budget.
Same shit they did in first movie. WTF?

hahahahhahaahaha. Why didn't Pennywise try to counter that this time?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Has anyone read his latest book?

All reviews I've seen have said it's his best for ages. I might have to get sucked back in a final time if it is.

evil_geko

Not trusting the critics was the right choice again for this movie, fecking loved this movie, almost as much as the first one, everyone is a movie "critic" these days.

lsd

The Oracle
Has anyone read his latest book?

All reviews I've seen have said it's his best for ages. I might have to get sucked back in a final time if it is.

The Institute? I'v seen some good reviews for it . I haven't read a Stephen King book in a while but might give it a go .

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Such a shame. One of my favourite books from my teenage years and still a good read. In a way, you could tell from the trailer it was going to be crap. You know a movie is going to be bad when they can't even make a good 90 seconds out of it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Went in with extremely low expectations and was pleasantly surprised though it definitely had its problems.

its long but I didn't really notice it until the final half hour (where the continuous ending reminded me of LOTR Return of the King)
I thought the casting was pretty spot on with all characters being believable older versions of the kids from the first film (especially Eddie, Stan and Richie).
Its played more for laughs than scares with more jump scares than anything.
The older Bowers plot should have been cut. It was pretty much pointless.
Its a big dumb movie though and I am a sucker for these
Agree with all of this!

I have no problem with this at all. They're fighting against their own deepest inner fear aren't they? Isn't that the whole subtext of the film/book?

Last edited:

izec

Watched the first movie from 2017, thought it was pretty bad. If this one is worse, even better for me to not watch it

Sylar

Just seen this at home (didnt in the cinema)
My gosh, its long. Last hour especially felt forever.

I had to watch it in 2 viewings.

So the positive is defo the casting, and picking people that actually looked like adult versions of the kids.

But the negatives, given the cast, I was really expecting something a bit... better?
With the length. It seemed like it could have been cut. The flashbacks were a bit tedious too. I defo enjoyed the first one more.
It seemed more like a comedy / episode of ghostbusters vs the first chapter.

I cant remember the ending of this from the 90's version. Was it the same? Did they defeat the clown the same way by hurling verbal insults? Just seemed... meh. Think they kinda exposed Pennywise too much in this movie (if that makes sense)