Italian parliamentary elections

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I mean, Italian poltics are a performative / sectarian act aimed at winning elections, then anyone ascending to the government will ultimately comply with the great number of brackets and stops inherited from being a EU member with huge national debt. If you take her words from yesterday and today, she already seems the perfect Draghi’s daughter. :lol: Sure, there will be times when her inner beliefs will resurface and threaten something regressive, yet again just have a look at their Senate majority of 112/200 seats, with Berlusconi’s centrist part having 20+ of them… and stay assured nothing ugly or regressive will ever become a law. In that, the difference with protestant / anglo-saxon politics is huge: our dogs will always bark louder to impress the plebs yet cannot bite at all. It will be interesting to see how Meloni gets along with Truss, who is reputed a nutter (someone actually biting instead of barking only) over these shores.
Do you think they'll be able to change the elections to a direct presidential election?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Italy, Sweden, Poland, Hungary (re-elected) and Austria are either already under far-right governments or making a hard shift to the right in recent years. Spain is not far behind.
How long before france, england and germany have far right govts ? The fun is going to start then.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Do you think they'll be able to change the elections to a direct presidential election?
I don’t know, really. Constitutional modifications are a slow process, back and forth the two legislative Chambers, with a 60% qualified majority needed to pass the Acts. Generally speaking, they only happen when the entire Parliament agrees in principle, so that the process goes along irrespective of the circumstances (reshuffles, etc.). I am not sure the direct Presidential election is what Italian needs the most at this current time, so the appetite for such reform has limited appeal. The new government will have urgent matters to focus on: the Budget, the support to Ukraine, the modifications to the basic citizens income (Meloni wants to help the older and the incapacited part of the population, not the “choosy youngsters” and the perennial slackers).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I mean, Italian poltics are a performative / sectarian act aimed at winning elections, then anyone ascending to the government will ultimately comply with the great number of brackets and stops inherited from being a EU member with huge national debt. If you take her words from yesterday and today, she already seems the perfect Draghi’s daughter. :lol: Sure, there will be times when her inner beliefs will resurface and threaten something regressive, yet again just have a look at their Senate majority of 112/200 seats, with Berlusconi’s centrist part having 20+ of them… and stay assured nothing ugly or regressive will ever become a law. In that, the difference with protestant / anglo-saxon politics is huge: our dogs will always bark louder to impress the plebs yet cannot bite at all. It will be interesting to see how Meloni gets along with Truss, who is reputed a nutter (someone actually biting instead of barking only) over these shores.
Yes, that is definitely an advantage of coalition politics. It may slow down decision-making, and lead to more mid-term elections but it is very good at stopping one side from dominating everything (especially more extreme sides), which I think is very important. It's definitely something that's very strongly missing in democracies like the UK, Canada, and the US.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not think that she has been too much into Putin even before. Salvini, on the other hand, probably has a tatoo of Putin.
I don’t know, really. Constitutional modifications are a slow process, back and forth the two legislative Chambers, with a 60% qualified majority needed to pass the Acts. Generally speaking, they only happen when the entire Parliament agrees in principle, so that the process goes along irrespective of the circumstances (reshuffles, etc.). I am not sure the direct Presidential election is what Italian needs the most at this current time, so the appetite for such reform has limited appeal. The new government will have urgent matters to focus on: the Budget, the support to Ukraine, the modifications to the basic citizens income (Meloni wants to help the older and the incapacited part of the population, not the “choosy youngsters” and the perennial slackers).
As it should be. But I do not expect much to happen. The far-right are all bark and no bite when it comes to actually solving some real problem, even in the very rare cases where they are correct about it. They usually just ruin stuff that needs no fixing, but with this being a large coalition and Italian government being in general weak, I do not expect much to happen anyway.

Italian governments are the definition of status quo. Pretty much nothing ever happens (bar perhaps in Monti's government).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...as-league-chief-after-dismal-election-results

Italy: Salvini faces calls to quit as League chief after dismal election results

Party is member of far-right leader Giorgia Meloni’s winning coalition

His call came amid reports in the Italian press that Salvini will not be reappointed interior minister by Meloni, a role he had held from 2018 to 2019 while in coalition with the Five Star Movement and used to attempt to block migrants from landing in Italian ports.
I wonder if Meloni is getting rid to sure herself up.

Revan

Assumptionman

Revan

Assumptionman
I think it's Lega who wants him out and it sounds like Meloni doesn't rate him.

Donny van de Salvini
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Would be nice if this gets delayed for a few months for him to create some internal problems and eventually the entire government to fall.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Meloni really hates Macron. To be honest, he seems to be universally disliked in the political world.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Meloni really hates Macron. To be honest, he seems to be universally disliked in the political world.

In my opinion he's a centrist neo-lib who pays lip service to culturally leftist causes while seeking to boost France's neo-colonial influence. Moreover he just seems really smug and arrogant and he's an advert for grooming.¹

Leftists won't like for him those reasons and the right won't like him because he isn't Hitler.

I still prefer him to Le Pen though.

¹I really think he is a victim of grooming by his wife and it will come out when he's out of power or one of them is dead.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Infighting has started already, with mad old Berlusconi talking sh*t because he cannot stand a woman bossing him, so this gremlins’ & rightish government is now in doubt again. Welcome back to the usual Italian Politics Muppets Show after incredibly stable 18 months with Draghi.