Italian Serie A - 2020-2021

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Inter lead the line as a number of clubs reportedly consider asking Serie A to postpone the 2020-21 season by one week.

The campaign has been scheduled to start on September 19, but the clubs reportedly gather to ask for a prolonged break.
Napoli are reportedly prepared to offer €30m plus Adam Ounas for Sassuolo winger Jeremie Boga, but Atalanta are also in talks with the Neroverdi.
Lazio have officially signed Pepe Reina, who terminated his contract with Milan one year early.

The Spanish goalkeeper, who turns 38 this month, has chosen Lazio over a move to Valencia and the Aquile announced his arrival today.

“SS Lazio announce the permanent signing of the sports services of the footballer Jose Manuel Reina Paez,” the club wrote in a statement.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is expected to wear No9 at Milan next season and remember, Filippo Inzaghi believes ‘the curse will end’ with the Sweden international.

The 38-year-old has reached an agreement with the Rossoneri and remains at San Siro for 2020-21, expected to change from No21 to No9 during the summer.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
What curse is that? Wasn't Shevchenko #9?
From the same article -

Even proven strikers like Fernando Torres and Gonzalo Higuain have tried but only added to the long list of failed attempts including Alex Pato, Alessandro Matri, Mattia Destro, Luiz Adriano, Gianluca Lapadula, André Silva and Krzysztof Piatek.

The nine mentioned centre-forwards have tried, and all have disappointed, fallen victims to what fans argue is a ‘curse’ that has hovered over the shirt since Filippo Inzaghi left the club in July 2012.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
We are going for the tenth in a row with Il Maestro
but... but... #PirloIsNotImpressed, you don’t say? :wenger:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Got my first taste of Amrabat with Fiorentina. Can't wait to see his progress continue with La Viola, and to see him play with Castrovilli and Ribery. I will miss his partnership with Veloso, though.

Just a shame he got that silly red card against Genoa on the last day of the season.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm liking Milan's transfers, think they'll be back in the Champions League soon enough.
Atalanta keeping all their key players and getting Miranchuk is also great business and I expect them to be every bit as good as last season, if not better. Maybe they get to 100 goals this time around.
Juve and Inter still fairly quiet but I expect them both to bring in some top players since both Conte and Pirlo will have a lot of pressure on their shoulders.

Should be an exciting season

murali_red

I'm liking Milan's transfers, think they'll be back in the Champions League soon enough.
Atalanta keeping all their key players and getting Miranchuk is also great business and I expect them to be every bit as good as last season, if not better. Maybe they get to 100 goals this time around.
Juve and Inter still fairly quiet but I expect them both to bring in some top players since both Conte and Pirlo will have a lot of pressure on their shoulders.

Should be an exciting season
Milan has been spending a lot in recent seasons but barely worked out.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Milan has been spending a lot in recent seasons but barely worked out.
They have been improving slowly, since Maldini came in they've done a lot of good work.

Tonali, Kessie, Bennacer, Donnarumma, Saelemaekers, Theo Hernandez, Leão, Brahim Diaz are all under 23 years old... plus Rebic, Calhanoglu and Romagnoli who are only 25-26. All very good players already and still young. And they kept Ibra for one more year, I think they'll make top 4 this season.

They're lacking in a few positions still (a starting centreback should be the priority) and lack depth but they've got a really good base of players to build upon, especially that midfield which is looking pretty impressive.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Milan need a startin caliber RWB and depth at CB and CM

as to juve and inter, money's an issue. Juve chasing Dzeko but will likely end up getting Suarez if he's free and wage demands aren't excessive, otherwise limited to swaps, loans or free transfers. They also need to offload a bunch on top of that

Inter likewise. They'll get Vidal and Kolarov, and that's probably it, and they also need to sell a bunch of players(vecino, gagliardini, perisic, naingolann, joao mario...). Inter might actually be more active if they end up selling Skriniar and/or Brozovic/Eriksen

EwanI Ted

Should be a good season this year in Italy. Juve arent quite the machine they were in the past but are still very good, and Inter, Lazio, Atalanta and AC all feel like they're improving. Roma and Napoli were disappointing last year, but if Roma can improve their defence and Napoli can improve their attack, neither are far off getting into the top 4 mix.

Key thing is, there seems to be a lot more teams that can beat Juve this year. Usually Juve ram home their advantage by only losing 2 or 3 games in a season to the top 6 or 7 teams home and away, while the other teams all take lots of points off each other. But I think any of the teams from 2nd to 7th would fancy their chances against Juve this year. They could easily get two or three more defeats than usual, which could open the door for a contender.

Personally I think AC could be the most interesting team this year. Great little group of young players there. They're not good enough to get in the title mix, unless something remarkable happens, but they could make the top 4 with a fair wind.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The biggest question mark is closed doors. Without fans, league games are similar to training friendlies, too much too often unpredictable and the home factor is lost. Really 20-40-60k fans in Italy play together with their team.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The biggest question mark is closed doors. Without fans, league games are similar to training friendlies, too much too often unpredictable and the home factor is lost. Really 20-40-60k fans in Italy play together with their team.
Update on this: Juve presented a plan to allow 30% of fans in while complying with the latest health protocols but the entire Serie A, most of the media and even the holding Sports Ministry balked, so it was rebuffed. This again for all the Einsteins pretending Juve has it easy in Italy a la Bayern in Germany. Parochialism vs System, instead.:rolleyes:

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Kolarov signed for Inter earlier today. Conte continues his crusade with ageing generals.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Bad to the eyes but still solvent and just a Ronaldo (€90m amortisation cost per year) away from getting back in full control of the accounting numbers. If not enough, daddy Exor putting another chunk in the form of who knows what, a la Man City: FFP is dead in the water with Covid and the latest City’s sentence. Ferrari is doing so bad recently, Exor really needs to keep Juve afloat to compensate in the sports & entertainment sector.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just watched Arthur's debut for Juve. He's far from perfect but I love watching him play.

I can't wait to - hopefully - see Arthur vs Amrabat. I also hope Juve meet Barca in Europe to see him vs De Jong, too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Really looking forward to how Benevento get on this season. Fillippo Inzaghi joining his brother as coach in Serie A, have two brothers ever managed in a top league at the same time before?

I remember them a few years back, were very spirited but lacked the quality to stay up. Can also remember their keeper scoring 96th minute equaliser v Milan. Looking at their squad now and got some interesting names. Getting in Kamil Glik when he was still first choice at Monaco looks fantastic business given he did well for Torino previously in Serie A. Christian Maggio still going at 38, loved watching him as a wingback for Napoli in the Mazzari era. Lapadula upfront aswell who got double figures for Leece last season.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Higuain's signing for Inter Miami after Juve cancelled his contract a year before it ran out. Disappointing 3 years in Turin for him, and Juve end up with an 18m deficit despite saving on his wages for a year.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Higuain's signing for Inter Miami after Juve cancelled his contract a year before it ran out. Disappointing 3 years in Turin for him, and Juve end up with an 18m deficit despite saving on his wages for a year.
According to Juventus's official statement, the deficit only takes into account the remaining amortised value; it doesn't include the wages that they save on him.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Aaaaaand it’s back! Serie A 2020-21 opening for business, with half a promise to allow 20% fans in in mid Oct.

Mods, please stick this thread... our cheapskates, penny pinching, farmeeers league starts tomorrow!! :drool:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Aaaaaand it’s back! Serie A 2020-21 opening for business, with half a promise to allow 20% fans in in mid Oct.

Mods, please stick this thread... our cheapskates, penny pinching, farmeeers league starts tomorrow!! :drool:
Not yet! 1 more day left!

With Amrabat being suspended for Fiorentina's game, there aren't any standouts for me this weekend. I'll probably watch Juve for Arthur, tbh.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not yet! 1 more day left!

With Amrabat being suspended for Fiorentina's game, there aren't any standouts for me this weekend. I'll probably watch Juve for Arthur, tbh.
Benevento-Inter and Lazio-Atalanta look decent watches to me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Benevento-Inter and Lazio-Atalanta look decent watches to me.
They do but when I looked up the fixtures for tomorrow and Sunday on whoscored they weren't listed... Have they got that wrong?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They do but when I looked up the fixtures for tomorrow and Sunday on whoscored they weren't listed... Have they got that wrong?
Ah you're right! Benevento-Inter not being played until 30th September so guess them and Atalanta get extended break due to playing in europe in August.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ah you're right! Benevento-Inter not being played until 30th September so guess them and Atalanta get extended break due to playing in europe in August.
I see! You got my hopes up for some potentially exciting games there :D

Arios

Supports
Juventus
According to Juventus's official statement, the deficit only takes into account the remaining amortised value; it doesn't include the wages that they save on him.
but when Juventus released Matuidi they wrote that it would generate a 11m savings for next year meaning his gross wages while they didn't do so for Higuain.
It's highly unlikely for Higuain leaving without asking for a fee

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
but when Juventus released Matuidi they wrote that it would generate a 11m savings for next year meaning his gross wages while they didn't do so for Higuain.
It's highly unlikely for Higuain leaving without asking for a fee
Yeah, they've had to compensate him somehow, and I guess they used that amount to compensate him.

DarkLord

I thought he put in some decent numbers for Juve last season. I looked up his stats and didn't even realize he played for Chelsea on loan. :lol:
Thought he still has a few seasons at the top level. Didn't expect him to go to MLS so soon. At least he gets paid comfortably.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm unsure where to ask this question so il ask it here -

After Wojciech Szczęsny was deemed not good enough for Arsenal how is he number 1 for Juventus? Has he improved that much and is he consistent now?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

After Wojciech Szczęsny was deemed not good enough for Arsenal how is he number 1 for Juventus? Has he improved that much and is he consistent now?
I think so yes. Really underrated GK IMO.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think so yes. Really underrated GK IMO.
Oh wow. I was quite shocked seeing him as a number 1 for Juventus over the last years and considered it might be a stop gap but it doesnt seem to be the case. Good for him.

Thanks.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Yes. The bottom line is arsenal's gk coach under Wenger was a poet...

...he sure as hell wasn't a gk coach though

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Pirlo changing formation to 3 at the back and playing Frabotta who I hadn't even heard of before, he's certainly going for a change :eek: Allegri and Sarri would have put De Sciglio there 100% rather than trust a 21 year old who's barely ever played at the top level.

Nothing's changed regarding Juve's ability to have a bunch of starters out at any point of the season though. First game back and De Ligt, Dybala and Alex Sandro are already out :lol:

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Pirlo changing formation to 3 at the back and playing Frabotta who I hadn't even heard of before, he's certainly going for a change :eek: Allegri and Sarri would have put De Sciglio there 100% rather than trust a 21 year old who's barely ever played at the top level.

Nothing's changed regarding Juve's ability to have a bunch of starters out at any point of the season though. First game back and De Ligt, Dybala and Alex Sandro are already out :lol:
And benching bentancur, that's surprising.

Great kulusevski goal.