Italy- Euro 2020 discussion

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They've looked pretty impressive so far but I'd still be confident that we beat them in the QFs if we both get there.
I think the current Italian side is a lot more balanced than what people give them credit for. I think the Belgium vs Italy game will be really close and I think the Italians will be able to sneak past you.

I think you aren't anywhere near the 2018 side, with ageing defenders, a Hazard who is meh, and a not so solid midfield although KDB+Romelu is somethng one needs to be wary about.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think the current Italian side is a lot more balanced than what people give them credit for. I think the Belgium vs Italy game will be really close and I think the Italians will be able to sneak past you.

I think you aren't anywhere near the 2018 side, with ageing defenders, a Hazard who is meh, and a not so solid midfield although KDB+Romelu is somethng one needs to be wary about.
Their record (clean sheets and games without a loss) certainly is impressive and I think they've been the best side at the Euros so far but they've beat an awful Turkey side and Switzerland isn't really all that much either. It's too early to say they're the top favourites or anything like that imo, but they are of course contenders.

Our squad has question marks, that much is true. Would be an intriguing QF no doubt, hoping it happens.

Catania

Supports
Catania
Patrick Vieira: "We have to wait until italy play Brazil or Argentina before we know if they can win the Euro, Im not mad about 2006, I promise...." :houllier:
Don´t think we will have any problems with Belgium, France and Spain scares me.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
I heard that Vieira said something about Italy lacking intensity and pace, which is obviously nonsense. It's also not just two games. Italy have been playing like this for 2-3 years now. They are unbeaten for 29 games, have won every single game of their Euro qualifying group and their record over the last 10 games is 10 wins with 31-0 goals. Granted, they have not faced top opposition yet, but given how other favorites have struggled at times against (on paper) weaker opposition that is still a terrific record. These performances are no surprise to people who have been following the team. It has been coming for quite some time. Many of these pundits barely follow the game in other countries and just because they may not recognize some players in the team they downplay their performance.

This is a good team that can compete for the Euro as well as the World Cup. But in the end this will turn into a knockout tournament and all it takes is a red card, one mistake in an even match against strong opposition or a penalty shootout and you are out.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Of course it is non-sense, just pundits not knowing what they are talking about (half their fault, half Italy being in a loooong low as a NT and Serie A) and parroting their inner prejudices.

As for the strengths of this current NT iteration, they are easily on Mancini, maybe the best NT coach in the tournament. Weaknesses are evident as well, with overall lower individual quality than tier 1 France / Portugal / Belgium, and maybe even tier 2 England / Spain / Germany.

Considering that balanced games are too much too often won through moments of individual brilliance, it makes sense to think that Italy will go out after a hard fought, plucky game against a more talented team.

Abraxas

They've looked really impressive. Having not paid any attention to their play prior to this tournament and looking at the team I expected it to be fairly dogged and covering for the elder statesmen at the back. But it has been the opposite, impressively combative and aggressive. The whole team has been functioning very well, the midfield and Spinnazola have caught the eye. Impressive intensity and pressing and good technical play too.

Yes, it's "only Switzerland and Turkey" but they're not exactly awful international sides. Turkey have tried their best to be this tournament but I think Italy's performance and the confidence reducing result was partly responsible. No reason this side can't be very competitive and a threat to the favourites,it might lack the stars but it seems the most functional team at the moment.

Jean claude van hire

They’ve been brilliant and it will take a really good team to put them out on the evidence so far. What is their squad depth like for those well informed on the Italy side? Can they handle the quick turnaround in games as we go deeper into the tournament, particularly if they pick up more injuries to key players?

antk

More than individual brillance, I think they'll come very short on experience when the going gets tough and we get to the later stages of the tournament. Not so many CL contenders / players used to the highest level of pressure in the squad, compared to some of the other favorites (France, Belgium, Portugal, even England).

That's why they can't be properly assessed until they've faced opposition of a similar level, and also why I think it's mostly a step up, take what you can tournament for them, leading up to a potentially more assured WC next year.

Lee565

An inform immobile and proving he can deliver in a international tournament makes italy a legit contender for the trophy, the only reservation I have about them is teams that start of great in such tournaments tend to end up having a dip in performances at business end of a tournament which ultimately cost them when facing teams of similar quality

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
They’ve been brilliant and it will take a really good team to put them out on the evidence so far. What is their squad depth like for those well informed on the Italy side? Can they handle the quick turnaround in games as we go deeper into the tournament, particularly if they pick up more injuries to key players?
Belotti in attack is not that much worse than Immobile. Chiesa is a strong player who can play on either wing, although his characteristics are different to Berardi and Insigne. In midfield, Verratti will hopefully be back for the knockout stages and in Pessina there is a good young (but inexperienced) player. In midfield and attack Italy can cover for a player or two missing. Defense is more of a problem.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
More than individual brillance, I think they'll come very short on experience when the going gets tough and we get to the later stages of the tournament. Not so many CL contenders / players used to the highest level of pressure in the squad, compared to some of the other favorites (France, Belgium, Portugal, even England).

That's why they can't be properly assessed until they've faced opposition of a similar level, and also why I think it's mostly a step up, take what you can tournament for them, leading up to a potentially more assured WC next year.
I think this is a fair point. It's likely a team that will reach its peak after this Euro. Hopefully, some of these players move on to bigger clubs to get more experience.

Catania

Supports
Catania
They have a good depth for most positions, Chiesa can cover for both Insigne and Berardi, Verratti and Pessina is good options for the midfield, and Bastoni/Acerbi are good CB.
Biggest blow for italy would be to lose Spinazzola.

anant

Acerbi and Bastoni in defence, Fiorenzi as FB. In the middle they have Verratti, Pessina and Castrovilli in addition to Jorginho-Locatelli-Barella. Up front, they can rely on Belotti and also have Raspadori, Chiesa and Bernadeschi. So, dont think they have an issue in depth.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Acerbi and Bastoni in defence, Fiorenzi as FB. In the middle they have Verratti, Pessina and Castrovilli in addition to Jorginho-Locatelli-Barella. Up front, they can rely on Belotti and also have Raspadori, Chiesa and Bernadeschi. So, dont think they have an issue in depth.
Every team has depth at a tournament, you could name replacement players for every starting XI. It's the quality and experience of those players that counts.

Imo Chiesa and Bernardeschi are barely downgrades on Insigne and Berardi, if at all. Belotti could replace Immobile as well. Can't comment on the other ones since I haven't really seen them play that much. But how would the likes of Locatelli and Barella hold up under pressure in an evenly matched game? They've bossed their games so far but against awful midfields. I agree with the posters above saying that they'll peak at the next WC or Euros, not necessarily this year already.

anant

Every team has depth at a tournament, you could name replacement players for every starting XI. It's the quality and experience of those players that counts.

Imo Chiesa and Bernardeschi are barely downgrades on Insigne and Berardi, if at all. Belotti could replace Immobile as well. Can't comment on the other ones since I haven't really seen them play that much. But how would the likes of Locatelli and Barella hold up under pressure in an evenly matched game? They've bossed their games so far but against awful midfields. I agree with the posters above saying that they'll peak at the next WC or Euros, not necessarily this year already.
I think people mostly underestimate the quality of players in Serie A. Bastoni is a fantastic defender and he'd feel hard done by to not be starting games. Fiorenzi is another decent option of FB position. Verratti can clot in place of Jorginho.

As far as pressure is concerned, they may have some relatively younger players, but players like Verratti, Bonucci, Chiellini, Bastoni, Jorginho, Barrela, Chiesa, etc. have played in plenty of big games.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Mate, your posts often come as deluded and too much stats or bookies-oriented, but life is more than a rational, straight line, it is also momentum, hunger, luck… just think of Chelsea winning a CL final against City not more than three weeks ago. But you banked your house on City as usual, didn’t you? :wenger:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Mate, your posts often come as deluded and too much stats or bookies-oriented, but life is more than a rational, straight line, it is also momentum, hunger, luck… just think of Chelsea winning a CL final against City not more than three weeks ago. But you banked your house on City as usual, didn’t you? :wenger:
In that case, Romelu Lukaku says hi.

And I have no idea what you mean with that last remark.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
In that case, Romelu Lukaku says hi.

And I have no idea what you mean with that last remark.
:D Lukaku vs Bonucci/Chiellini and DeBruyne vs Barella will be good fun, in case.

As for my punter’s remark, weren’t you wholeheartedly having City as clear favorite over Chelsea last month? Point is, cup competitions are always decided on fine margins, and having 8 teams potentially able to go all the way here makes the predictions even more uncertain, even futile imho.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why? You look much better than Portugal.
They can park the bus and hit us on the counter. Turn the game into whoever has the better quality forwards wins. They do...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They can park the bus and hit us on the counter. Turn the game into whoever has the better quality forwards wins. They do...
Ah fair enough, I remember even we did sort of well against you when we played 5-3-2 last time.

JSVeron

Supports
FC Internazionale Milano
There's huge expectations about the actual National team, can't hide it.

Generations of wonder players have always born in Italy... in 1940s (riva,facchetti,mazzola,rivera, zoff...),1950s (rossi,cabrini,antognoni,conti,tardelli,scirea,altobelli...), 1960s (zenga, maldini, vialli, baggio, baresi...), and 1970s (totti, vieri, nesta, cannavaro, delpiero, inzaghi...), and those players wrote historical pages of international football.

The one who heavily failed was the 1980's (Italy had been very poor from Euro2008 since WC2018) and that's why people are so excited for this actual NT.

This one seems to be pretty good but I agree with who thinks this team reminds something of Nederland 2008 and their early peak.
the target is the upcoming WC!

Forza azzurri

Reactions: Carolina Red

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
:D Lukaku vs Bonucci/Chiellini and DeBruyne vs Barella will be good fun, in case.

As for my punter’s remark, weren’t you wholeheartedly having City as clear favorite over Chelsea last month? Point is, cup competitions are always decided on fine margins, and having 8 teams potentially able to go all the way here makes the predictions even more uncertain, even futile imho.
Not sure I had to be honest - I did think City were favourites but so did a lot of people! Making predictions is indeed very premature at this point but an Italy vs Belgium QF is a likely outcome given that both teams look likely to top their group and then face inferior compeition in the Round of 16. We'll find out soon enough :cool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They have a good depth for most positions, Chiesa can cover for both Insigne and Berardi, Verratti and Pessina is good options for the midfield, and Bastoni/Acerbi are good CB.
Biggest blow for italy would be to lose Spinazzola.
3 of the 4 CBs are left-footed and only Chiellini has serious pace among them(even at his age he's still a beast physically). But yeah, Spinazzola is the one guy we really can't replace and losing him would be a huge blow. His pace but especially his ability to beat people 1vs1 are a big part of our attacking play, and emerson just doesn't have it

We still haven't needed Chiesa to rip a defence apart though, that will be interesting to see

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ah fair enough, I remember even we did sort of well against you when we played 5-3-2 last time.
Yeah, fairly even game after the first half hour, unlike the first leg where we bent you over a barrel for 90 minutes :D

We struggle to break down parked buses, a lot. And it's one thing to play the likes of turkey or switzerland, who don't really have the quality to hurt us so it's just a matter of scoring that one goal and we're set, and we have 90 minutes to do it without having to worry about going behind. It's quite another when we're up against opponents who can score on us

Pavl3n

Italy haven't been as clinical as one would've expected them to be.
Against the Swiss they missed a lot of opportunities and their last 2 goals came after mistakes. Locatelli should've been closed and never given the amount of time and space on the edge of the penalty area and Sommer should've done better with the last goal.

However I really liked their intensity levels and the tempo they play with. They seem to have a good squad depth so I'm really curious to see how will they fare.
I expect them to shuffle a bit against Wales, but still be able to get at least a draw. Wales' win means they'll top the group.

And still it must be taken into account that Italy are playing their games at home, while other teams have to travel to Asia.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, fairly even game after the first half hour, unlike the first leg where we bent you over a barrel for 90 minutes :D

We struggle to break down parked buses, a lot. And it's one thing to play the likes of turkey or switzerland, who don't really have the quality to hurt us so it's just a matter of scoring that one goal and we're set, and we have 90 minutes to do it without having to worry about going behind. It's quite another when we're up against opponents who can score on us
Yeah that first game is the reason we play 5 at the back now. Think it was Spinazzola that totally annihilated us that game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah that first game is the reason we play 5 at the back now. Think it was Spinazzola that totally annihilated us that game.
Yeah. Spinazzola vs Hateboer was fun :drool: we should do it again!

LuckyScout78

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scouting-report-nicolò-barella.461079/post-26852457

Back in February I said I will not be surprise if they win Euro or World Cup in the future.
From what I had observed of those Italian players. And I believe and have confidence about my player ratings. It’s so obvious Italian dominating were written in the stars. Football skill is one thing. But like I said earlier. They are having so many winning heads and winners in team. Beside they top foot ball skills. Sum of that , in a collective result. They will and have to dominate world football. It’s Italian golden generation. Not only one. But if 4-5 really really good players coming up together. Like class of 92. Then they are on theirs path to winning trophies.

Barella won Serie A in his first season with Inter. And with his upcoming really good teammates they are good enough to win Euro or World Cup in the future.

Really good football skill is one thing and big factor. But if you are a winner head and born to be a winner. It belong it’s all written in the stars. More fate and meant to happen. No one else can stand theirs way to stop it. Like the class of 92. A all written manuscript. This euro 2020, maybe a scene in that manuscript....and it’s just of that manuscript and Italian class of 20 movie. ;)...And as football fans and scout. Always nice to see new golden generation of football players coming up.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scouting-report-nicolò-barella.461079/post-26852457

Back in February I said I will not be surprise if they win Euro or World Cup in the future.
From what I had observed of those Italian players. And I believe and have confidence about my player ratings. It’s so obvious Italian dominating were written in the stars. Football skill is one thing. But like I said earlier. They are having so many winning heads and winners in team. Beside they top foot ball skills. Sum of that , in a collective result. They will and have to dominate world football. It’s Italian golden generation. Not only one. But if 4-5 really really good players coming up together. Like class of 92. Then they are on theirs path to winning trophies.

Barella won Serie A in his first season with Inter. And with his upcoming really good teammates they are good enough to win Euro or World Cup in the future.

Really good football skill is one thing and big factor. But if you are a winner head and born to be a winner. It belong it’s all written in the stars. More fate and meant to happen. No one else can stand theirs way to stop it. Like the class of 92. A all written manuscript. This euro 2020, maybe a scene in that manuscript....and it’s just of that manuscript and Italian class of 20 movie. ;)...And as football fans and scout. Always nice to see new golden generation of football players coming up.
Could the midfield cope if they come across kristoffer olsson ?

Lay

Seeing the other big nations so far. The two wins for Italy shouldn’t be discredited at all.

KC91

Seeing the other big nations so far. The two wins for Italy shouldn’t be discredited at all.
Yep, tons of talk about them dominating two "woeful" teams and how they can't be judged off of that.

But then you see teams like England, France, and Spain getting poor results against teams who are far worse than the Swiss. Italy shouldn't be arrogant, but there's not a team in this tournament they should fear based on the first 2 matchdays.

kthanksbye

Teams with two wins out of two
Italy, Belgium, Netherlands

Teams yet to concede a goal
Italy, England, Sweden

Most goals scored so far
Italy.

Safe to say that they should not be be undermined by downplaying the quality of the opposition, when other teams are struggling.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nobody is downplaying them I think. This is a knockout tournament, anything can happen. It'll be interesting to see how tough they are mentally if they go behind in a KO match.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Super impressed with Berardi 's form and output so far. Has a good all-round game while also having good variety in his wing play. Capable of cutting in and going wide to stretch the opposition. In my team of the tournament so far, though obviously its still early days.

Pep's Suit

I think Italy lack some individual quality to win it, just 1 or 2 players who can do something special. However, they have the best manager so we'll see.

Teams with two wins out of two
Italy, Belgium, Netherlands

Teams yet to concede a goal
Italy, England, Sweden

Most goals scored so far
Italy.

Safe to say that they should not be be undermined by downplaying the quality of the opposition, when other teams are struggling.
They played poor opposition and dominated, but they're the only team doing what they're supposed to be doing. Everybody else is slipping up in some way or another.

Some of the big teams like France are bound to wake up when we get to the knockouts but for now Italy look like the best team in it.

kthanksbye

They played poor opposition and dominated, but they're the only team doing what they're supposed to be doing. Everybody else is slipping up in some way or another.

Some of the big teams like France are bound to wake up when we get to the knockouts but for now Italy look like the best team in it.
That's the only thing I was trying to emphasize.
Aside from France, I'd be disappointed if Italy lost to any other team (barring a moment of luck)

I'm excited how this team develops for Qatar to be honest, as this tournament is really the first big test for a lot of players in there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Any idea on if they are rotating fully?

kthanksbye

Any idea on if they are rotating fully?

They'll have to, fullbacks are surely going to be rested. Bonucci is not young anymore so expect a back 4 of Florenzi-Acerbi-Bastoni-Emerson, midfield hard to tell, but they can play Bernadeschi-Belotti-Chiesa as their front 3.
If Verratti is fit, I'd expect him to get some minutes under his belt, maybe 60mins or so.