Italy- Euro 2020 discussion

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They'll have to, fullbacks are surely going to be rested. Bonucci is not young anymore so expect a back 4 of Florenzi-Acerbi-Bastoni-Emerson, midfield hard to tell, but they can play Bernadeschi-Belotti-Chiesa as their front 3.
If Verratti is fit, I'd expect him to get some minutes under his belt, maybe 60mins or so.
Hope Immobile plays some part at least

Yik

Looking really good against Wales. Totally dominant. Chiesa looks a player.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Verratti, Barella, Locatelli, Jorginho. Italy simply have a central midfield that knows how to play with the ball. It’s a rather rare feat in international football.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My pre-tournament pick to win the tournament. But I have to admit they've exceeded my expectations, and it's what scares me. Teams that blow apart teams in GS tend to be upset in the latter rounds by an unfancied team. Hope it doesn't happen to the Italians as they are absolutely brilliant.

Great balance to the side. Solid defensively, a pretty neat midfield and a very decent attack

izec

They look great, but i think they will go out to one of France, Germany or Belgium at some point. I fancy these 3 to get going in the knockout stages and one of them to win it eventually.

KC91

Hopefully Bastoni starts in the R of 16 if Chiellini isn’t ready. Verratti should also come into the midfield permanently now, assuming he’s fit. Looked class today.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They look great, but i think they will go out to one of France, Germany or Belgium at some point. I fancy these 3 to get going in the knockout stages and one of them to win it eventually.
I’d fancy them to beat Germany/Belgium.

France the only outfit I’d worry about.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hope this guy will win both the Champions League and a major tournament with Italy in his career...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Italy would destroy Belgium IMO. Far more talented all around and Belgium will be entirely reliant on KdB and Lukaku.

Italy would destroy Belgium IMO. Far more talented all around and Belgium will be entirely reliant on KdB and Lukaku.
Italy face the opposite problem to Belgium in that if they have an off day, they don't have a star player who is going to drag them to victory. Chiesa looks a talent but he's not yet considered a starter.

KDB is the only one for Belgium in that scenario, Italy have the same defenders Lukaku can't score against in Serie A.

kthanksbye

That's correct, I'd be disappointed if Italy lost to anyone else except France. Portugal and Belgium will need a moment of brilliance from one of their star players, if that happens, then so be it.
This Italy team is different, not only do they defend well, they even have goals in them, from various sources too. Not an easy team to play against.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
As long as they can play Manciniball, a number of chances would come against everyone. We can always question the ability of their forwards to convert, though, which is where superior talent and burts of brilliance from superstars often win tight games: Immobile and Insigne were never up with the very best, nor is Belotti.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
As long as the linchpin jorginho is there for Italy they won't afraid anyone. :lol: .All the great football brains named him in starting 11 like sarri,tuchel and Mancini. Infact Guardiola wanted him in his man City team. Lampard only rotated him and prefered the team without him.

It shows how much I had knowledge about football. Most of Chelsea fans including me didn't want him in the team during sarri days and Lampard days. :houllier:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They needed penalties to beat the least talented italian side ever. They have no chance this time, world is going back to normal :D

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
They needed penalties to beat the least talented italian side ever. They have no chance this time, world is going back to normal :D
I also think Italy would beat Germany in 9/10 cases at the moment. Not because they're much better, but because Germany somehow always lacks attitude when they face Italy. It's a curse - but that might have been broken in 2016. In any case it would be absolutely awesome to see such a classic matchup take place in this Euro.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
We can create at will against weaker sides. But even under Mancini we've struggled to create against better quality of opponents, and the lack of genuine world class game winners here is a fatal flaw, we *need* to create a lot to score

Also it remains to be seen how our defence holds out against great forwards

We're the most well organized and tactically complex side in the tournament by far, and we have a lot of quality on the ball as far as moving the ball into the final third and not losing it, but we do lack quality in the final third, and physicality to win duels consistently

What that boils down to is a team that is absolute bloody murder on weaker teams, but i fear once we come up against sides that aren't overmatched in every way, our flaws will tell

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also think Italy would beat Germany in 9/10 cases at the moment. Not because they're much better, but because Germany somehow always lacks attitude when they face Italy. It's a curse - but that might have been broken in 2016. In any case it would be absolutely awesome to see such a classic matchup take place in this Euro.
It's nature. And it is healing :D

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The love-in with Italy is pretty amazing off the back of some victories against an awful and two average sides.

They have a better defense and midfield, we have the better GK and by far the better attack. Not sure how that equates to "far more talented all around" to be honest.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We can create at will against weaker sides. But even under Mancini we've struggled to create against better quality of opponents, and the lack of genuine world class game winners here is a fatal flaw, we *need* to create a lot to score

Also it remains to be seen how our defence holds out against great forwards

We're the most well organized and tactically complex side in the tournament by far, and we have a lot of quality on the ball as far as moving the ball into the final third and not losing it, but we do lack quality in the final third, and physicality to win duels consistently

What that boils down to is a team that is absolute bloody murder on weaker teams, but i fear once we come up against sides that aren't overmatched in every way, our flaws will tell
Agreed. Italy were my pre-tournament picks to win the tournament and they have looked fantastic so far. However, the games you've played have been on low-medium tempo. It'd be interesting to see how the MF copes with a high-tempo game.

And what I fear for you is that teams that start this well mostly crash and burn against some unfancied opposition. Hope the same doesn't happen to you.

Lee565

They must have the strongest in depth squad in this euro's after seeing the amount of changes they made yesterday without a big drop in quality or performance.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
I think we've easily been the best European NT in the last 2.5 years imho:

- 26 games in a row undefeated; 70 goals scored and 7 goals conceded
- 10/10 wins in the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifiying
- Topped our 2020/21 UEFA Nations League group
- 3/3 wins in the 2022 FIFA World Cup group so far

Not gonna lie, I have GREAT expectations for EURO2020 especially given that we will most likely not have to face France, Germany, Portugal, England and Spain until the SF.. If we don't reach AT LEAST the QF then it would be a failure and "All These Things That We've Done" in the last 30 months would have been pointless..
Time to update my previous comment:
- 30 games in a row undefeated: 81 goals scored and 7 conceded
- Topped our 2020 UEFA Nations League group
- 10/10 wins in the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying (37-4)
- 3/3 wins in the UEFA EURO 2020 group stage (7-0)
- 3/3 wins in the 2022 FIFA World Cup group so far (6-0)

We've been outstanding in the last 30 games are the best NT in the world against weaker teams therefore I cannot be afraid about Ukraine/Austria in the Ro16.. Problem is that we've not faced any top NT yet so I'm really curious to see in the KO stage and against Spain in the Nations League Final Four whether we're only a great Flat-track bully side or a real top National Team..

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Aaaaand… It’s Austria vs Italy on Saturday at 9pm CET, Wembley Stadium.

Nice match, they won two games from their group, so they are no mugs for sure.

KC91

I think Austria is around the same level as Switzerland. It’ll be interesting to see how they setup against us.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They seem more direct than them, tbf!
They don't even have an Embolo or Shaquiri. And they're worse at the back too

If we don't make short work of them i'll be very disappointed

kthanksbye

I expect Italy to beat Austria without getting out of 2nd gear really. Just like we did in the group games.

Not sure if it's a good thing that we haven't had any difficult/intense games yet, the squad would be relatively fresh.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
They don't even have an Embolo or Shaquiri. And they're worse at the back too

If we don't make short work of them i'll be very disappointed
Yeah, same here. Not expecting a chess game from them, but a tailored plan for sure.

RoyH1

After all the games in the first round, the idea of Italy as the favorites has only grown in my head. Yes, they haven’t perhaps been challenged as much as others, but they look so solid in midfield and defense. Whoever beats Italy will win the tournament.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
This squad is hot air, at the moment, with an embellished CV and an elegant coach. Turkey could make a stern intro to adult footballing life for many of our inexperienced / too much protected kids: they are thugs, they are good, they have stronger inner drive.

I am expecting QFs with a number of twists, also in the starting eleven: Florenzi, Bonucci, Jorginho, Insigne, Immobile are disposable imho. Semifinal would be a neat achievement for Mancini, also helping him separate reliable prospects from the dross, for the WC22 campaign (the important target, after three shameful exits).
That’s it, folks! Going to Munich for QFs, albeit on borrowed time me thinks.

Mancini needs to stick to his original plan to stand a chance vs Belgium or Portugal.

Cloud7

I’m not as convinced about them as I was prior to this match

kthanksbye

I did not particularly enjoy that.
Austria were very good.

Hope our front players can make better decisions in the final third. A team with better individual quality will not allow us many chances.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Belgium is 50/50. Think we'll have an easier time to create against their defence, and overall we play better, but they have De Bruyne and Lukaku

Portugal is all wrong for us though. Unless Fernando Santos pulls another germany disasterclass, we lose

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Imagine how good they'd be if they had someone better than Immobile leading the line.

derpaderp

The only problem I have with italians are the asshole fans booing when the opponents have the ball.