Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Charlie Foley

Would probably put this season’s episodes in the following order
Really?! I really liked season 14! Love the text episode and love the global warming one (has probably one of my fave sunny jokes ever - the exchange between charlie and dee re her shoes). The big mo episode is great too. The only two weak episodes imo were the meet cute one and the right to chop one.
I like the meet cute because of the Austrian Frank and Charlie. Think it’s better than big mo which is too meta for me, and texting. Global warming episode is great. And Dee day, and the jumper has “it’s full of loads”.

Charlie Foley

So there’s a post on the subreddit about how the chess ending was nonsense which I had noticed watching it (as was the fact that depending on the camera shot, Frank made the first move as black; a white pawn the Russian never touched kept jumping between spaces). It’s full of responses saying “I bet they did it on purpose to upset people.” Including some people even saying the fact Frank seemingly moves first as black is “proof” they made intentional mistakes to upset people (why then have some shots where white moved first).

This is the same sort of copium you see from trump supporters, literally “oh they must be playing 4D chess.” Just admit they fecked up :lol:

Wittmann45

Latest episode of the podcast is pretty good, with Glenn's wife. Seems to work way better when rob isn't there.
I haven't listened to the past few episodes, but it seems pretty clear they need someone to keep them in line. It is a very difficult balance to find between talking about their lives or things outside the show and talking about the episode. Having Meg there to keep them on subject with questions is so necessary. It must get boring for them to keep on talking about these episodes, but the podcast does provide some pretty good insight and some good moments when they stay on track. Plus, when they start going on about their lives, Rob and Glenn seem to be unironically a lot like their characters, talking about unrelatable nonsense. Whenever they talk about modern medicine/health, its just like Mac and Dennis talking about how Dennis needs to smoke cigarettes to suffocate the bacteria caused by the apple seeds he accidentally ingested.

decorativeed

I enjoyed that episode, although I am always weary of TV comedies when they fall back on celebrity cameos to maintain audience interest (ie The Simpsons). It was better than the one with Puff Daddy in it though.

"It's a schalger play I've got going" is a classic Always Sunny line.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Decent episode. I knew Gritty was coming at some point this season, as Rob posted a teaser about it many weeks ago. Didn't think it'd be the episode they already had Aaron Paul and Brian Cranston on.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It started well but then kind of meandered plot-wise. Not terrible though.

cafecillos

I thought the guests were good and the way they completely ignored BB and instead reference Malcolm all the time was funny. The main plot could have used a better resolution though, I felt they rushed the ending.

Woodzy

Couple of funny moments but overall another average to poor episode. It’s weird because if you watch the podcast its clear they still understand what made the show funny, so the question is whether their hands are being tied or they simply just don’t care anymore.

Hoof the ball

Couple of funny moments but overall another average to poor episode. It’s weird because if you watch the podcast its clear they still understand what made the show funny, so the question is whether their hands are being tied or they simply just don’t care anymore.
I don't know. They spend so much of their time on the podcast retrospectively criticising earlier season episodes stating, "We wouldn't do that now", despite them being absolute fan favourites to this very day. I find myself saying to myself, "why wouldn't you"? You're writing characters, and distasteful ones at that. People liked "bad ass" karate, macho, overconfident and delusional Mac. You can see this in how Mac is basically now more Rob than the character 'Mac'. Dresses like Rob, talks more like Rob.They're bleeding themselves too much into the characters and the show is paying for it.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I feel like on the podcast they’ll sometimes watch a classic episode and say stuff like “it’s funny because the characters don’t have a drive here” or “there was no plot reason to do this” and it shows a lack of understanding of what made the show great. I don’t need everyone to follow Dan Harmon’ six act structure - sometimes you just need five dicks messing about.

Wittmann45

I feel like on the podcast they’ll sometimes watch a classic episode and say stuff like “it’s funny because the characters don’t have a drive here” or “there was no plot reason to do this” and it shows a lack of understanding of what made the show great. I don’t need everyone to follow Dan Harmon’ six act structure - sometimes you just need five dicks messing about.
Besides the writing/jokes being a little stale, I think they have made changes to the characters that have been detrimental. Charlie has sort of become the voice of reason which can at times be a really odd dynamic. I know characters need to grow but generally people who sniff paint regularly don't become more mature and intelligent as they get older. Charlie Work was a great episode that flipped this dynamic really well but its being used more and more regularly and I don't think it works. Also, Mac was never the smartest and he was prone to irrational outbursts, but now he just seems like an idiot, but like a Charlie level idiot. The episode from this season of Mac eating nuts was something Charlie would have done, not Mac. Some of the things that made Mac really great (overconfidence, belief that he is a badass karate master/bouncer) are just non-existent now.

Also, I just think they sort of lost their way when it comes to what made the show different. They made a whole season around the fact that Mac got fat as commentary on other sitcoms having actors and actresses that look better and better as they age due in part to plastic surgery and did entire episodes about the use of unnatural lighting in typical sitcoms. Then three of the five main stars go and have noticeable plastic surgery (with Dee to such an extent that she cannot even do some of the physical comedy/facial expressions that made her character so great) and the bar/settings went from generally grimey places to what has been the last few seasons where the show has been lit more like typical comedies. At times it just doesn't feel like Sunny anymore

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

:lol: Ok, ok. That felt like the classic Sunny. Really good social commentary on this one and easily the best ending to an episode this season. They're really at their best when they are forced to interact with members of the public.

decorativeed

:lol: Ok, ok. That felt like the classic Sunny. Really good social commentary on this one and easily the best ending to an episode this season. They're really at their best when they are forced to interact with members of the public.
Yeah, I enjoyed this one too. First couple of episodes were total duds, but last few have been much better.

mitChley

I think I have opposite taste to most in this thread about IASIP as I enjoyed the first few episodes, especially the extra room episode, but really disliked the latest episode.

Woodzy

I think I have opposite taste to most in this thread about IASIP as I enjoyed the first few episodes, especially the extra room episode, but really disliked the latest episode.
Latest episode and the chess episode were the weakest for me. The rest I managed to enjoy.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The show probably peaked during Season 7 but it still managed to remain great up until Season 12 I'd say. From Season 13 it really started to go downhill fast. I think that if you collected the 8 best episodes from Season 14, 15 and 16 (so far) then it would still be a mediocre season in IASIP terms.

It's sad to see one of the greatest sitcoms of all times on life support like this. Then again it's their creation. If they are still having fun and have a solid fanbase who think they can do no wrong, then it makes sense to continue.

mitChley

Latest episode and the chess episode were the weakest for me. The rest I managed to enjoy.
Reddit held up the chess episode like it was the greatest thing to have ever happened then I watched it and kept waiting, and waiting, then it finished.

Woodzy

Frank with the chilli in the bowling ball and Dennis's hand are the only bits that stick in my mind, but they were good.
Lots of funny moments for me. Charlie’s bowling, McPoyle’s and the ball shining, Mac and his spin. Just felt like a classic episode.

Idxomer

I think this might be their best episode in years, Howerton is an incredible actor.

Not a bad season in the end.

Hoof the ball

What an episode. Seriously, Glenn. What an actor. He has to pursue serious projects after/alongside Sunny now. I would be shocked if we didn't get some kind of Dennis Reynolds mini-series that's solely based around him. This really set the tone of a series that could be.

Also, Megan Ganz, Charlie day and Rob are doing some excellent writing on Mythic Question.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah was good. Very different to any other episodes as they’ve never really focused on one character before as far as I can remember.

Pickle85

I really wanted to see it in the cinema, but it never came out here, so I ended up downloading it. It was much better than I expected. Glenn Howerton and Jay Baruchel were both very good in it.
Nice. Wondering if it'll come to screening as I've heard good things. Apparently howerton is excellent.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Glenn carried the last two episodes for sure.

Overall a poor season for me, but not a huge drop in quality compared to the last 3 seasons.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Good finale, great performance from Glenn. Quite relatable too, my phone died recently, trying to get anything done without it, including buying a new one, was awful. I definitely felt like my rage knew no bounds.

Good season. Better than the last 2.