It's only November, but who are your top 8 sides in Europe up to this point in time?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Manchester United is a kind of mystery at the moment. We don't know for sure how strong they are, with Pogba or not. I mean United almost stopped Spurs from creating a chance, they only managed to create one big chance which United created like 4 or more chances like woodwork, Lukaku's chance, Lingard's chance and so on, it could've ended up 3-0 if United were more clinical. Spurs have beaten Real Madrid and scored 3 goals against them, they couldn't even score against us, and we sit back and allowed Liverpool to attack but they couldn't even score against us. If our attacking are average and our defences are much stronger, I think as long as we score which is okay for us but they won't score against us easily, we are a very hard team to beat.
Manchester United have a trump card in their Manager. There are only two managers I would trust with an ordinary team; Mourinho and Simeone.

Don't be surprised if United make it to the semi finals playing shit on a stick football, filled with 0-0s away from home and 1-0s at home.

Turamb

Aren't Napoli about to get bounced from the CL?

deafepl

Manchester United have a trump card in their Manager. There are only two managers I would trust with an ordinary team; Mourinho and Simeone.

Don't be surprised if United make it to the semi finals playing shit on a stick football, filled with 0-0s away from home and 1-0s at home.

I don't know how Manchester United started attacking Spurs when they didn't even do it against Liverpool? That's why I said Manchester United is a kind of mystery where we cant get 100% of how strong they are. Is Mourinho testing our defence against Liverpool who was said to have a fearsome attacking line? A lot of question played on my minds, I'll be waiting for Arsenal, Chelsea and City games so we can get an understanding of how strong Manchester United really is but If they've beaten all top side, can they establish them as elite contenders in UCL? Likely

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
To be honest, I'd put Spurs in Tier 2 and move Atletico Madrid to Tier 3
Fair enough.
But to me, Atletico getting to the CL final twice and winning their league against Barca and real in recent times goes beyond any pretty football by Tottenham in my book. Others may see that as too long ago to count of course.

PoTMS

Fair enough.
But to me, Atletico getting to the CL final twice and winning their league against Barca and real in recent times goes beyond any pretty football by Tottenham in my book. Others may see that as too long ago to count of course.
Way too long ago - that’s like putting Leicester in Tier 3.

And City should defo be Tier 1 if you’re putting PSG in there too.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
They're top of their league. It's not outlandish.
9/10 of those people have watched the highlights of the city games and that's it. Their only indicator of how good they are this season is looking at the table. They sit top in a far weaker league than the EPL and look likely to be dumped out of the CL in the group stages.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, maybe. I'm not talking about overall, I just challenged someone that said Barcelona is one of best defensively just because league started just like 3 months ago which is too early to say and ignore United and PSG XD
Ah, fair enough my friend

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
9/10 of those people have watched the highlights of the city games and that's it. Their only indicator of how good they are this season is looking at the table. They sit top in a far weaker league than the EPL and look likely to be dumped out of the CL in the group stages.
How is the Serie A far weaker than the PL?

redahair

City
Psg
Napoli
Shakthar
Utd
Spurs
Barca
Munich
Madrid
On form
Capable of winning champs league id say psg barca munich and utd and city

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Way too long ago - that’s like putting Leicester in Tier 3.

And City should defo be Tier 1 if you’re putting PSG in there too.
Not really, if Leicester was still a top team fighting for and winning the odd trophy they'd be in my tier 2. They aren't even in the CL so they don't get into any of my tiers.

Atletico has been in 2 of the last 4 or 5(?) CL finals, while maintaining being a top team in their league and competing in Europe. That's more like if Spurs won something + their current form.

In other words, for me what makes a top (3) tier club is if you've performed at a high level for a few years and still is, Spurs have done that and deserve that recognition despite winning feck all. What separated tier 3 from tier 2 is if they actually have won stuff while tier 2 to 1 for me adds on overall squad strength and how good they "can be" in my eyes.
It's all subjective either way, but that's how I've rated the teams and I think I was fair in where I put the different teams based on that.
One could argue i should have more tier 1 teams, but that's more down to me not seeing enough of some tier 2 teams or their players to think they can still perform as a potential "best team in the world". Barca for example i know had struggles in midfield and lost Neymar, so downgrades them some but not necessarily enough to put them in Tier 2. I'll just need to see a top match or two where I'm impressed enough by their midfield to put them there. Cause they are a winning team that has some x-factor players.

Real Madrid to me seems off form, but the quality on their bench alone tells me they are one of absolute top dogs in the world, and their 2 CL trophies in a row is a testament to that. It's not always the teams that are in the best form when the season is starting that wins the trophies at the end of the season, that's why I don't pull them back despite of their recent form. They just need to get through the group stages and find their feet again and they'll still have the best team in the world on paper in my opinion.

Taking Bayern down is simply because I don't watch German football and barely any highlights at all, and they sacked Ancelotti so can't be doing too well. But on paper they should be up there if they sort their form out (pull them down over form because it's had a big impact in the sacking of Ancelotti, if Real had it so bad that Zidane had been sacked I'd have my reservations about their team-capabilities as well).

What's most fun for me as a United supporter is that despite how shit we've been, we actually won a charity shield under Moyes and a FA cup under LvG. People may say that the charity shield is a glorified friendly, and they are probably right, but you got there by winning something, so just like the super cups they matter in my eyes.
To a very low degree, but still some.
And mind you, I've been and continue to be a hater when it comes to those two.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
City are right up there, scared they’re gonna win the Champions League to be honest. Who’s gonna stop them?
Hopefully Real's recovered form at the time they inevitably knock us out in the next round will last them out to lifting the trophy again. Otherwise there will be no stopping City winning the quadruple :(

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Hopefully Real's recovered form at the time they inevitably knock us out in the next round will last them out to lifting the trophy again. Otherwise there will be no stopping City winning the quadruple :(
They do have weaknesses though. Otamendi’s not all that. Stones is Stones. Maybe the best teams will be able to expose them.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
El Plastico final in the Champions League?

I'd love for PSG and City to go at each other in the quarters, ideally city to get smashed since Guardiola has been found wanting when playing against a similarly stacked team.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
United have conceded 4 goals in the league and average 54.0% possession. Barcelona have conceded 3 while averaging 61.4% possession (stats according to whoscored.com)

I think the argument is that when the opponent has the ball, United are better defensively than Barcelona. In my opinion it's hard to say either way, but I think United have better defensive organisation.
Barcelona defend by keeping the ball. If we played you guys, we'd probably have 60% possession.

I'm talking about 2017 in a league and all competitions and 2016-17 league season which United and PSG are much better than Barcelona.
We had a different coach last season, and no right-back. That makes a huge difference. This season our defense has been very solid.

Charles Miller

There is no top 8. Is more a top 3.
City
Barcelona
PSG
Stats will tell another history but i watched all their games and PSG defensive aspect is not good.
They never can take the ball back.

Barcelona is not playing well and they need ONE player to decide ALL games.
But since is Messi they are dangerous.

The only solid team is Man City.
By far the best imo.

I think in few months Real Madrid will be in that list.

tavtavtav

The problem with Barca being so reliant on Messi is that while it's not a position you want to be in and seemingly unsustainable, that player being infact Lionel Messi means that it's not implausible that he does just continuously maintain this level until Barca sort themselves out in general.

deafepl

Barcelona defend by keeping the ball. If we played you guys, we'd probably have 60% possession.

We had a different coach last season, and no right-back. That makes a huge difference. This season our defense has been very solid.
Still not better than United defensively at the moment. United haven't even had a proper left back last season and still not made an improvement to this position.

Tyrion

Barcelona
PSG
Man City
Real Madrid
Bayern Munich
United
Spurs
Napoli

Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and us are probably the main underperformers based on the strength of the squads.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Why is anyone even putting Spurs ahead of United. Are people that stupid that they cannot understand facts?

United are 3 points ahead of Spurs in the league, scored 4 more and conceded 3 less and United beat Spurs. We have 12 points of 12 in the CL. But yeah Spurs are doing better than United....

City
PSG
Napoli
Barcelona
Valencia
Bayern
United
Dortmund
Inter
Spurs

10 teams as Inter and Dortmund deserve to be in there and so do Spurs.

MrBest

Why is anyone even putting Spurs ahead of United. Are people that stupid that they cannot understand facts?

United are 3 points ahead of Spurs in the league, scored 4 more and conceded 3 less and United beat Spurs. We have 12 points of 12 in the CL. But yeah Spurs are doing better than United....

City
PSG
Napoli
Barcelona
Valencia
Bayern
United
Dortmund
Inter
Spurs

I'm glad someone mentioned Valencia. I know they are not in the champions league but in la liga they have been spectacular. 27 goals and unbeaten in 10 games.

Psg are easily the best team at the moment but with a noticeable easier league. For that reason city would be my number 1 as they have torn every team apart lately, too teams included! Psg would be second and Barca who have found new life are third.

In 4th it's Napoli for me, they have been sensational and only a breathetaking city have really shown them up. 5th and 6th is Juve and United. 7th Bayern, had a poor start but consistency is coming back.

8th has to be Valencia for me. Shaktar close 9th! To round off the 10, spurs. 4 points against a poor Madrid does not warrant a higher spot for me.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
yeah valencia are doing very well and inter as well but the problem with a fair assessment, as chelsea are clearly seeing this year, is having no international duty... napoli may well have gassed their legs and morale for scudetto because of the midweek cl games against shakhtar and city, chelsea the same for having played atletico and roma.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Champions League Victory

Spain (2): Barcelona & Real
UK (2): City, Manchester
Italy (1): Juve
France (1): PSG
Germany (1): Bayern
Unlikely Challenger (1): Besiktas or Tottenham or Napoli

Bestietom

The 2 in form teams are City and PSG atm but in the knockout stages things can change. I would say that these clubs would be in the last 8

PSG
Barca
Bayern
Real
City
United
Spurs
Roma

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

City
PSG
Napoli
Barcelona
Valencia
Bayern
United
Dortmund
Inter
Spurs

Spurs played Real Madrid twice in the CL and got 4 points out of it. That's a very good result imho. I'd put them on par with United. Opinions though

Rafateria

If you want to base it on results in their home leagues plus on results in the CL/EL, bearing in mind the quality of the opposition faced in both competitions, and so far this season only, then for me on current form it is :

1. PSG
2. Man City
3. Barcelona
4. Napoli
5. Bayern Munich
6. Spurs
7. Valencia
8. United

Besiktas are trailing in 4th in their home league and haven't won in 4 games.
Valencia 5 wins on the bounce in La LIga including 4-0 over Sevilla and 3-6 away at Betis. Playing well in the EL too.
Not sure how anyone can include RM considering their La Liga (4th) and CL form.
It's very very difficult to rate Shakhtar.
There'll probably be some howling about Spurs being above United but in their match it could easily have gone either way, Spurs were the away team, and arguably Spurs missed Kane a lot more than United missed Pogba.

Number1

I think it's a waste of time doing a full list, anything from 3 to 8 all subjective.

Top 2 though is City and PSG and i don't think that's even debatable, would to see those 2 against each other form they are in right now.

James Peril

can't believe the amount of people that have Napoli in and no Shaktar
Who cares about Shaktar? Nobody watches the Ukrainian league and they have beaten Feyenoord (one of the worst teams in the CL this year) twice. Beating Napoli at home was awesome, but I saw that game and they never should have won it. Napoli had 11 corners vs. zero :o Furthermore, good teams lose against bad teams every once in a while. Dortmund and Atl Madrid have failed to beat Apoel and Qarabag over two games. Napoli have been superb in Italy and it has been great watching them this year.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
You are a bit harsh. Roma defeated Chelsea 3-0, Atalanta beated Everton 3-0 and at the moment Serie A is second in the UEFA Country coefficients: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2018.html

Napoli sit top in Serie A and that's why, imho, they deserve to be at least in the top 10.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Real Madrid
Manchester City
Napoli
Bayern Munchen
PSG
Valencia
Shakhtar Donetsk
Roma

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You are a bit harsh. Roma defeated Chelsea 3-0, Atalanta beated Everton 3-0 and at the moment Serie A is second in the UEFA Country coefficients: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2018.html

Napoli sit top in Serie A and that's why, imho, they deserve to be at least in the top 10.
Everton also drew with 10 man Apollon Limassol. You know as well as I do that as a barometer Everton are not representative of the premier league.

Top of the league Napoli got beat twice by City and are likely to be knocked out. Currently, the premier league has 5 teams progressing to the knockout phase to Serie A’s 2.

Even your own link supports it.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
A bit harsh not to include United if you already go past the limit
The Pep fanboys have all excluded United, in spite of us being probably the best defensive unit in Europe and being second in the most competitive league in Europe.

Haters gon'hate.