Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
What was he betting on specifically? I think it's different if he's backing himself to score rather than get booked, for example.

Gazza

I wonder if the FA knew and that's why he didn't get picked for the World Cup?

I bet they did.
I see what you did there. He did wrong, but evens so he deserves to be at the World Cup, surely? Definitely an odds situation he finds himself in.

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
What's stunning to me is the period of several years. I'm assuming the FA got word of it and managed to track those 232 breaches only recently - which leads me to the assumption this Ivan guy must have felt quite secure doing his thing for years.

The mentioned FA rule E.8 however covers more than placing bets yourself; does anyone have information that he's filed under E.8.1 for having placed bets himself?

Finally, here is a link to an extract of the FA Handbook : Click

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Interesting to know what exactly happened in 2017 that turned him into this evil-doer.

roseguy64

People should note that he was in the lower leagues for all of that time. Not that that excuses him but he wasn't rich.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
People should note that he was in the lower leagues for all of that time. Not that that excuses him but he wasn't rich.
Gambling isn't about being rich or poor & funnily it's not actually about the money most of the time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This along with the times he's been in the press for slagging off Brentford just shows that at best, he's got awful judgement, and while he's a very good player, we should probably be steering clear.

frostbite

This along with the times he's been in the press for slagging off Brentford just shows that at best, he's got awful judgement, and while he's a very good player, we should probably be steering clear.
You bet!

phelans shorts

I wonder if someone had a little word in Southgate's ear last week? 232 charges is a serious wtaf moment. That's not a dabble, it's full immersion and I can imagine him being off the scene for quite a while.
It’s a bet a week roughly, that’s a dabble. If the figures aren’t eye watering and it’s not on his team then it’s nothing major at all.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It’s a bet a week roughly, that’s a dabble. If the figures aren’t eye watering and it’s not on his team then it’s nothing major at all.
It's pretty major considering he shouldn't have been doing it!!

phelans shorts

It's pretty major considering he shouldn't have been doing it!!
He shouldn’t no, and that’s not disputed. That doesn’t make it major, though. I’ll cross a road where there’s no traffic lights, I shouldn’t, but that’s nothing major either.

Context is the key and as of yet we haven’t got any.

Champ

He shouldn’t no, and that’s not disputed. That doesn’t make it major, though. I’ll cross a road where there’s no traffic lights, I shouldn’t, but that’s nothing major either.

Context is the key and as of yet we haven’t got any.
When he knows the rules of betting as a professional footballer 232 bets or referrals to bets is massive and will incur a good healthy length ban from the game.

That's essentially a bet a week, over a four year stretch. Which is quite a lot considering he shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.

phelans shorts

When he knows the rules of betting as a professional footballer 232 bets or referrals to bets is massive and will incur a good healthy length ban from the game.

That's essentially a bet a week, over a four year stretch. Which is quite a lot considering he shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.
Not really if it doesn’t involve his team. If it doesn’t I’d be amazed if he got as long as Trippier, which is far from a long ban

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not really if it doesn’t involve his team. If it doesn’t I’d be amazed if he got as long as Trippier, which is far from a long ban
Trippier didn't actually place any bets. He gave info about his own transfer to a friend.

There was a recent lower league player who made about 300 bets over the past 5 years (so similar to Toney), he got a 4 month ban from the FA last month.

cyberman

Barton got 18 months so should be something similar. Sturbridge got 6 weeks for 1 bet if I remember correctly.
He should have just bet through family members as everybody else does

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
232 breaches of rules is damning. Wont get a lifetime ban though. 10-15 games at most i reckon

Conor

It's ridiculous that players can't bet on things that have nothing to do with them, if they were just weekly accums or something he should get very little time.

Chairman Steve

I don’t think it matters if it involves his team. Players have got mates around all kinds of clubs from Premier League to League 2 probably, even abroad.

With the things you can bet on in football, what’s stopping two footballers from completely different leagues saying to each other “Hey, bet on me to get the first yellow, I’ll do the same with you and we’ll make some money”?

In Toney’s case, he probably has to prove he wasn’t talking to anyone when he was making these bets.

SteveCoppellFan

Im sure there are more pressing issues the FA could be concentrating on.

The legend that is Jim Rohn once said " dont major in minor things "

Telsim

Could be looking at a year-long ban, possibly more. Should put any transfer notions to rest.

duffer

Scout
Barton got 18 months so should be something similar. Sturbridge got 6 weeks for 1 bet if I remember correctly.
He should have just bet through family members as everybody else does
Barton's ban was very long because it involved matches he was playing in.

Toney will get a few months, the FA gave 4 months to a player who bet 300 times (like Toney, not on games he was playing in) just a few weeks ago.

Champ

I think he'll be looking at a good few months for this, possibly 3/4 months. May get back before the end of the season.

We'll have to wait and see but I'd imagine the FA won't look to fondly on another high profile English player involved in betting and so will look to make a bit of an example out of him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What isn’t he allowed to bet on exactly? Games he’s involved in obviously. Then games in his own league? Country?

cyberman

Barton's ban was very long because it involved matches he was playing in.

Toney will get a few months, the FA gave 4 months to a player who bet 300 times (like Toney, not on games he was playing in) just a few weeks ago.
Yeah but they might be a bit softer at the bottom of the pyramid because it’s their livelihood at stake.
Every other example higher up in the leagues doesn’t paint a pretty picture for Toney

duffer

Scout
Yeah but they might be a bit softer at the bottom of the pyramid because it’s their livelihood at stake.
Every other example higher up in the leagues doesn’t paint a pretty picture for Toney
Better legal team for a player at the top though!

I agree with you though, not looking for Toney.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
World cup coming up and no idea where to put your money?

Bettor Call Toney.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
With the things you can bet on in football, what’s stopping two footballers from completely different leagues saying to each other “Hey, bet on me to get the first yellow, I’ll do the same with you and we’ll make some money”?
Integrity?

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
I think a ban would be fair if his work uniform didn’t have the word ‘bets’ on it. If they’re going to enforce rules like this no club should be sponsored by a betting company.

duffer

Scout
I think a ban would be fair if his work uniform didn’t have the word ‘bets’ on it. If they’re going to enforce rules like this no club should be sponsored by a betting company.
Why not?

Footballers are not banned from betting on football because of any sort of moral judgement. It's to avoid possible conflicts of interest or match fixing.

They can bet on anything else apart from football.

R'hllor

This place really know how to pick them. Hope for his sake they dont smash a book on him and he learns from it.